Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Put all the links back in the table of contents. It's getting ridiculous, I wish I'd saved several posts for expanding it!
Old 09-28-2017, 09:27 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Do you know what posts your moab trips start on? I'm planning mine and I can't remember when you went...
Old 09-28-2017, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chuckles89
Do you know what posts your moab trips start on? I'm planning mine and I can't remember when you went...
Here was the latest one...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200...l#post52373201

Use the search this thread feature (by the page numbers) to find more, I've been there around 20 times for biking, hiking and mild to moderate wheeling.
Ask whatever you want and I'll answer the best I can. There's a lot of stuff I haven't driven, our trucks are our transportation home so we don't push it very hard. We always tent camp, Usually either at Sand Flats or up in the La Sals. If you want to hit Needles I'll tell you where you need to camp- and you have to wheel to get there!
Old 09-28-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by habanero
Here was the latest one...
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200...l#post52373201

Use the search this thread feature (by the page numbers) to find more, I've been there around 20 times for biking, hiking and mild to moderate wheeling.
Ask whatever you want and I'll answer the best I can. There's a lot of stuff I haven't driven, our trucks are our transportation home so we don't push it very hard. We always tent camp, Usually either at Sand Flats or up in the La Sals. If you want to hit Needles I'll tell you where you need to camp- and you have to wheel to get there!
Duh, I forgot about the thread search thingy. I'm going to make a post in my thread about it whenever I get some time... super busy with school right now. I'm so excited!
Old 09-28-2017, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

Duh, I forgot about the thread search thingy. I'm going to make a post in my thread about it whenever I get some time... super busy with school right now. I'm so excited!
I'll keep an eye out for it. More fun if you have a couple of trucks and everyone is half-decent at spotting. We've driven a little off-road trail in Arches, the second half of White Rim going clockwise is awesome (do NOT camp down by the river at White Rim), Fins n things, Little Lion's Back is a cute little upndown quicky, there's a skinny little pinstriper trail up to Mt. Peale, the dumbed down trail up to twin bridges, Elephant hill in Needles, drive in to the campsite, hike as much of the area as you can- especially the Joint trail-, drive out next day.....
There's lots of harder stuff to do, but I haven't done them.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:24 PM

I'll keep an eye out for it. More fun if you have a couple of trucks and everyone is half-decent at spotting. We've driven a little off-road trail in Arches, the second half of White Rim going clockwise is awesome (do NOT camp down by the river at White Rim), Fins n things, Little Lion's Back is a cute little upndown quicky, there's a skinny little pinstriper trail up to Mt. Peale, the dumbed down trail up to twin bridges, Elephant hill in Needles, drive in to the campsite, hike as much of the area as you can- especially the Joint trail-, drive out next day.....
There's lots of harder stuff to do, but I haven't done them.
I'm actually going the week before Christmas.. it's gonna be sooo cold. I think you're referring to the mosquitos I've heard about on the lower parts of the White Rim Trail- won't have that problem haha. The trails we do will depend on snow and whatnot. If there's too much snow on some things, there's always going to be something else to see. We'll see how it goes!
Old 09-28-2017, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

I'm actually going the week before Christmas.. it's gonna be sooo cold. I think you're referring to the mosquitos I've heard about on the lower parts of the White Rim Trail- won't have that problem haha. The trails we do will depend on snow and whatnot. If there's too much snow on some things, there's always going to be something else to see. We'll see how it goes!
BRRR!! Are you driving a southern route to get there? When you are flexible there is indeed always something to see! I don't actually know what it's like in winter, now I can't wait to see your plans or eventually your pics! The night sky can be very amazing...
Certainly mosquitoes (and horseflies!) will be the last thing on your mind.
We went on that Texas/ New Mexico trip in Dec/Jan. The thing that surprised me most for some reason was that even that far south the forest roads in mid New Mexico were closed and snowy in the mountains.... the La Sals may have this problem, maybe other places too? I really don't know!

There's a pony express station, a very short hike with petrified trees and dino bones, dino prints on the Klondike trail, and STAY OFF THE WET DIRT in the desert! That stuff is horrible horrible horrible HORRIBLE! and also sets up like cement.
Old 09-29-2017, 06:06 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Hab, always a pleasure checking if you've done whatever I'm about to tackle. I noticed you added links to your index listing to help get to those topics. It could just be my computer, but the links don't take me to the post you're listing, some are like 10+ pages off. Again, it could totally be me.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by fierohink
Hab, always a pleasure checking if you've done whatever I'm about to tackle. I noticed you added links to your index listing to help get to those topics. It could just be my computer, but the links don't take me to the post you're listing, some are like 10+ pages off. Again, it could totally be me.
Oh dang! I had set my number of posts per page as high as it would go to deal with the photobucket fiasco. Now I can't remember how to put it back. I'll have to figure it out and set up fresh links. Luckily it's all stored on Google Sheets so shouldn't be too horrible.
Okay, a little horrible.

Thank you thank you for letting me know! It would be really frustrating to deal with off base links.

EDIT: Found that post per page setting....will have it fixed in the next few days.

Last edited by habanero; 09-29-2017 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:14 AM

I didn't even know you could change the number of posts per page. See, my end user error. Don't change everything. The page count is correct when I switched to 40 posts per page. ;P
Old 09-29-2017, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

I didn't even know you could change the number of posts per page. See, my end user error. Don't change everything. The page count is correct when I switched to 40 posts per page. ;P
I'm gonna change to the default number because that's what most people will have, but you can do the same if you want to after it's all said or done. Or not.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

Since I was updating links for default posts per page I did this too but Moab is only part of the trips as we do CO/UT:

Vacation 2010, 195-https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200...1/index10.html
Vacation 2011, 293https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200...1/index15.html
Vacation 2012, 737https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200...1/index37.html
Vacation 2013, 1327https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200...1/index67.html
Vacation 2014, 1975https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200...1/index99.html
Vacation 2015, 2497https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200.../index125.html
Vacation 2016, 2849https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200.../index143.html
Vacation 2017 spring break, 3073https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200.../index154.html
Vacation 2017 3224https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200.../index162.html
Old 10-01-2017, 05:26 PM

Thanks so much! Not sure if I'll be going this winter though... we had our first "chilly" camping trip this weekend. lol I'm a wimp in the cold
Old 10-01-2017, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Hahaha, totally get that! My winter backpacking camp clothes are

2 pair long underwear
regular non-cotton pants/shirt
polar fleece pull-over
light wool jacket
lightweight 800 fill down coat
medium weight wind breaker
down vest
cold weather synthetic belay coat
rain coat
winter sock liners
wool socks
insulated hiking boots

If cold enough I will wear them all! At the same time!!
Picture the little kid in 'A Christmas Story'....

And my sleeping bag is rated -15....
Which I pair with a polar fleece blanket, down booties and as much as the above as I need to stay warm.

Last edited by habanero; 10-01-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 296,068 miles

Steering rack bushings? Am chasing down a steering wobble around 50ish mph. Everything looks good except the rack is wiggling around as much as it did with the worn oe rubber. Like, a lot. They have the poly bushings I put in a couple of years ago. Was able to tighten the left and center rack bolt a 1/4 and a 1/2 turn respectively but the design of the right horseshoe shaped rack bracket doesn't allow for that. Instead I am trying a bit of silicone hose cut to fit between the bracket and bushing. The rack is much more solid now, will have to see it that does the job. More when I know how it works.....or doesn't work.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:18 AM
Contributing Member

Well, I got the rack stable but still trying to figure out the not-quite-rightness. Attempted to pull the front wheels today, was going to re-torque them. The last people to put them on was Auto Tire. UGH. I tried an electric impact and a 3' breaker bar. Neither will budge the nuts. At. All.
Typically I loosen and re-torque them as soon as I pick them up. My mistake on that one.
Remind me again why I HATE to have other people mess with my truck....so mad. And I always ask that they torque them to 100 ft lbs. 90 is stock afaik, the 100 came with instructions for the wheel adapters.

Crossing fingers my studs aren't screwed up. I'm going by their shop to have them broken loose, I don't want to be the one to break a stud. Going to re-torque them in their parking lot, not letting them do it.

No wheel play, by the way. About the only oe rubber that's left is the upper control arm bushings and the front diff bracket bushings. Checked for loose bolts, joints and that sort of stuff, all seems good.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:53 AM

Received 283 Likes on 211 Posts
Any time I encounter a vibration that starts around 45 mph I go straight to tire and wheel balance/checking for flat spots or broken radials. When was your last tire and wheel balance? was that Auto Tire? maybe it threw a weight? Try a tire rotation to see if the shimmy changes or goes away.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:17 PM

Hey Hab,

When you did your steering rack guides, you said you had up and down play in the shaft the comes in and out of the rack (the part that the inner tie-rod ends screw into). Did you have any play or slop going in and out? In my attempt to fix all the things in my front end, most of the whirring went away with the new wheel bearing, some of the play went away when pushing the tire in and out at 3 & 9 o'clock after the new inner and outer tie rods, but I can see the shaft goes in and out like a 1/4" without moving the steering wheel.

My rig only has 119k easy miles on it, so I can't believe it's falling apart.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by akwheeler
Any time I encounter a vibration that starts around 45 mph I go straight to tire and wheel balance/checking for flat spots or broken radials. When was your last tire and wheel balance? was that Auto Tire? maybe it threw a weight? Try a tire rotation to see if the shimmy changes or goes away.
Totally agree, usually. I had Auto Tire put balance beads in mid-July so no weights to throw. Since then I do get some mild vibration at various times, but it's recently changed, gotten worse. I did manage to get the wheels off, each wheel took around 15 minutes to pull using the Dewalt corded impact. I hate hate hate to have somebody else do anything on my truck! Whoever reinstalled the wheels really torqued them on- who knows what pattern they used- or if they used a pattern at all. That the vibration wasn't bad and changed certainly makes the tires a possibility. I did look at the them, but it makes sense to rotate tires, will have to do that. I checked for any clumps of dirt on the wheels too. Thanks for the ideas, they are good ones.

Hey Hab,

When you did your steering rack guides, you said you had up and down play in the shaft the comes in and out of the rack (the part that the inner tie-rod ends screw into). Did you have any play or slop going in and out? In my attempt to fix all the things in my front end, most of the whirring went away with the new wheel bearing, some of the play went away when pushing the tire in and out at 3 & 9 o'clock after the new inner and outer tie rods, but I can see the shaft goes in and out like a 1/4" without moving the steering wheel.

My rig only has 119k easy miles on it, so I can't believe it's falling apart.
It's not falling apart, just needs maintenance like all old trucks. I don't remember...it was ages ago. When the 99's was done it looked like it had a bad inner tie-rod (boot was still on), the way it moved so much. My husband stuck the newer style guide that had been in my 96's 1st rack and that completely fixed the problem. Sorry I'm not much help.
These days Toyota only sells the complete rack with the newer style guide.

While I had the wheels off (ugh, finally) I cleaned and regreased the pins for the brake pads and found a broken anti-rattle clip. The pins are worn too. Hardware kit ordered.

Last edited by habanero; 10-05-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 296,349 miles
Took up the slack in the throttle cable.

Pulled the 4xInnovations rear spare carrier to check the bearings. Most everything was in good shape except the lower seal. The spring has rusted out so I removed the mess and cleaned it up. Going to go ahead and use it, am thinking about drilling one or two tiny holes in the next lower seal so water doesn't sit and rust stuff. Cleaned up the old grease and squished in some new. Cleaned up the bolt and added anti-seize.
Name:  yuGOUKz.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  69.8 KB

TRP seal and bearing numbers in case I need them:
Name:  vF9p9Xh.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  42.0 KB

Name:  ems8TsO.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  46.7 KB

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread