Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
When I took pics of the lights I realized my shiny new filter dryer stuck out like a sore thumb. Now it's black and you can't see it behind my gutter grill anymore. Also replaced the stupid plastic grill retainer clips (which actually make it pretty easy to get the grill off so maybe not so stupid) with new as 2 were missing and 4 were broken.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Went wheeling at St. Joe today with some great guys (I know 98'4runnerSR5 is on here) including my hubby in the Highlander. Four 3rd gens and a 5th gen...

So now I need to make a simple flag bracket that will hardly ever be used but awfully handy when it is.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 07:36 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow great looking pics hab... remember to submit them for the calendar pls.

btw why the flags? I understand they are used when dune running so other drivers can tell there is someone on the other side... but you were mud bogging it seems...
Old 06-29-2011, 04:03 AM
Contributing Member

St. Joe is an old strip mine, lots of open area of small sandy hills so the flags (that are a requirement in this park) are useful here. I did have a lot of fun and will do it again but I have yet to find the sort of moderate wheeling (on trails) I like to do anywhere nearby that I can afford.
Going out to Colorado and Utah every year has spoiled me....I want that stuff here!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
you could have driven just a little further and gone to wa$+ita (censor won't let me spell it) and had much more fun. Trails, rocks, you get the point. Might have been 15 extra minutes to drive there from st. joes. Also make sure you clean off your vehicles really well as you don't want the sand and grit from st. joes to get in there and mess up your seals and bearings. It's nasty stuff that finds it's way into everything. Next time i head out on a run i'll let you know and see if you want to hit some trails. I'm still waiting on my rig to be completed.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:24 AM
Contributing Member

Mightymouse!! Where have you been???

I've heard about Wash.... and wouldn't mind a little extra drive, just can I afford it??? Please do let me know if you go out there, I'm a non-alcohol when driving or going to drive rule following people and I might even be house-trained.
What's left to do on your new toy? I haven't seen any posts....

No kidding about the sandy clay mud grit. We rinsed while there and washed when we got home. It took near a half hour to do the underside alone. If you want to know next time we all go out I'd be happy to give you a holler.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:06 AM

hab, no booze is the way to go so no worries there. My new truck's story is a long one that i'll tell ya if we get out for a trail ride or two. My wife usually joins me as well. I also might head to potawatomi as well with my father in law to do some fishing/wheeling. When i get some solid plans and you're interested i'll fill you in. Look into the fall crawl held by the tlca in smorr this fall as i plan on attending that one as well.
Aaron
ps wa$hi+a is around 20 bucks if i remember right so yeah exspensive but worth it imo.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, $20 would be ok every once in awhile but with my husband along it's $40. I've got the other costs of wheeling covered from breakage on up to another 3rd gen but don't have much throw-around dough. Still, would like to try it sometime.

I missed the fall crawl last year, built trail on the OTA.....Courtois section... with the Ozark Trail assn instead. I also belong to and build trail with Gateway Off Road Cyclists. Got a long history of going bump in the woods!
Hope to catch SMORR this year, though.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:30 AM
Contributing Member

First coat of paint on the center caps (finally).

Hubby found a switch out of a second gen for me to replace the awful KC version:
It's the one next to the dash light knob. Took a little figuring but got it working and it lights, too!

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:55 PM
Contributing Member

sweet no chance of forgetting to turn the lights off now...
Old 07-24-2011, 08:07 PM

pricey but good trip and a great way to meet some other wheelers. http://www.tornadoalleycruisers.org/?page_id=39
Old 07-24-2011, 08:09 PM

another i plan on attending if i'm in town. http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177862
Old 08-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Contributing Member

228,800 96 4Runner
Oil change
Pulled the rear seats and hosed 8 years of kid detritus off them.

Got back from Colorado/Utah trip last Sunday. I am ready to go back now!
Devil's lookout- camped down the road, hiked
Casa Bonita- ate lots of Soapy Pillows!
New Belgium brewery- took a few small tastes and gave rest of mine to the hubby
Camped in Roosevelt Nat'l forest
Rocky Mountain Nat'l park- hiked the lakes and falls trail
Winter Park- camped there, rode mtn bike Tipperary loop
White River Nat'l Forest- camped, explored off-roady trails
Moab- Hiked to Delicate Arch at Arches Nat'l Park, camped at Sand Flats
Moab- too wet to bike or wheel (???) so went to Island in the Sky, then Needles @ Canyonlands. Camped on BLM land outside Needles
Canyonlands- hiked 12 miles to check out Joint trail, camped at Cedar Mesa at Capitol Reef. Road was pretty passable but not in great shape so we had the place to ourselves
Capitol Reef- Checked out the washes, ate Apricots, looked at lots of cool stuff. Camped in Dixie Nat'l Forest.
Zion- did Angel's landing. Well, the hubby did Angel, the kiddo made it all the way to Scout's lookout, camped in Dixie Nat'l Forest near Bryce
Bryce Canyon- hiked the magic sparkle pony princes fairy trail, camped at Sand Flats in Moab. On the way we ran into the nastiest rain storm I'd ever been in. What was worse was my dear dear hubby ate a burrito from the Bryce canyon store and it was about killing us and we couildn't roll down the windows and it was the worst smell that has ever come out of that man's rear and we were all dying on the side of hwy 70 and there was nothing we could do about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Moab. Drier this time. I didn't get a chance to wheel though, bike or truck.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison, north side- drove here, checked it out, drove the back way into Crested Butte.
Crested Butte- found a primo camp spot, mtn biked 401 trail in the morning, drove to Animas Flat via Cinnamon pass, camped just outside the ghost town at Animas.
Drove to the Brown Bear cafe in Silverton via California gulch. Drove Red Mountain pass, Corkscrew pass, Hurricane or something like that pass, California pass, Engineer pass. Camped at Old Monarch Pass. We were going to ride here but decided to give the boy a break and went to Great Sand Dunes instead. He had a blast there.
Camped at Wilson State park in Kansas.
Drove to the hubby's parents outside Sprinfield MO, had fun there,
Drove home.
So much stuff I haven't written down.....the wildflowers were incredible this year, lots of animals and mining stuff and some big cat foot prints and all kinds of deer, elk, pronghorn, big horn sheep, and a variety of small varmints and big mountains and sand and the camping was all quiet and mostly isolated with great sites and and and and....

Pics to follow if I ever get caught up with everything.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

Just thinking hab maybe you should think about installing some of those JDM/euro spec sunshades on the windows, then you could open the windows slightly even in a monsoon downpour and still stay dry inside. I've been considering getting some myself for a similar reason (not toxic gas related lol).
As an added preventative measure I'd take burritos off everyone's diet for the duration of any road trips.

bTW don't forget to submit some pics for the calendar competition.

Last edited by aviator; 08-15-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Contributing Member

He's NEVER allowed to get microwave-in-the-store-frozen burritos again, at least if we're riding in the same car!!!

I used to have smoke acrylic ventshades on my Bronco II and the Exploder and they were nice for buggy nights when you wanted to crack the windows for some fresh air. Unfortunately to get enough fresh air for the burrito misadventure I would have had to put him out on the side of the road and driven a couple of counties away.

Good thing he's cute.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Rocky Mountain NP

Winter Park mtb'ing (there's a kid on the back of that thing)

Moab camping

Island in the Sky, canyonlands.

Needles district, Canyonlands

Crested Butte campsite

The Road to Schofield pass was closed due to snow

Cinnamon pass

We camped just outside Animas Forks

On the correct side of this sign

California Gulch....I see ghosts!

California Pass

More pass

More pass

SNOW higher than my truck

Looking from Hurricane or some kind of storm pass, I think

Look out below!

Corkscrew, I think. Could be Red Mountain. Not technical, just steep.

California gulch again

going up to Engineer pass

Playing in the giant sand box

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:57 PM

Awesome pics, that one of the old derelict building on the hillside is so cool! Wish I could get out and do what you did...guess I gotta get school out of the way first.
Your kids are spoiled to see such beautiful country
Old 08-17-2011, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

There are so many mining structures left, it's awesome. Luckily for me the kiddo likes doing this stuff as much as we do and yes, I think spoiled is a good term for it for all of us.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Great pics hab
I have got to get me a set of those LC rims I love the look.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member

It's all that brake dust, isn't it?

96 4Runner 229,xxx miles
Changed plug wires.

Last set said 2003 so around 140,000 miles on them.
Since I was there pulled plugs (replaced somewhat recently) and all look good,

checked pcv, cleaned MAF.

Pretty little wires....

And ordered another cv shaft from O'Really Why Me. Urgh! Best as I can see the boot's leaking. No noise from the joint and so far only a little grease. Good thing these are a lot easier to replace than I expected. Bad thing I wasn't expecting to have to do them again for awhiles.....

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 03:03 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread