Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Just replaced the rack under a year ago, new bushings, new in and out tie rod ends too, both sides. Everything looks good there when the steering wheel's wiggled. Replaced sway bar bushing and links not terribly log ago either. Again, still look solid.
Gotta have the kid do some steering for me so I can really check it out but right now the pop is pretty intermittent. A quick check got a couple of pops that *seemed* to come from the left upper ball joint but wasn't fer sure. I'm hoping it's something I stupidly looked over.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I kinda thought you may of done the rack awhile back, but did not take the time to take a look see.

Don'tcha just hate the intermittent stuff? I do for sure. Hope the origin becomes more apparent with the assistant's assistance.

Last edited by rworegon; 02-05-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:49 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hmmm, got some work ahead, eh? You'll kill it, as usual! lol.

Just stopping by to see 'what's next', ............and now I'm up to date, woot, haha.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How's the tailgate been holding up for you? My light is still intermittent, but one of the wires I repaired at the top of the hatch got my washer pump working again!!! It hasn't worked since the day I bought it and didn't occur to me that one of the wires I fixed was to the pump until I was on the hwy and someone hit their washers. I immediately thought about my rear washer not working, hit the switch and was happy to find it spraying my tailgate window!
Old 02-05-2012, 04:18 AM
Contributing Member

Rworegon.....Assistant's assistance....not saying that one three times fast!

Hey Chef! Yeah, I've been busy with Science Fair, not done much for myself for over a month now. Been fun working with the kid though.
Watching to see what you do with your rack.

Terminator- it works great. Light is working perfect and the latch mechanism isn't falling off, either. Sorry to hear the easy fix didn't help you, really cool the washer works again, though!
Old 02-05-2012, 04:36 AM

Thanks Hab, the washer is a little victory that fealt good you know. I may just pull that latch and do what you did but it's working better than before fo sho.

Originally Posted by habanero
Rworegon.....Assistant's assistance....not saying that one three times fast!

Hey Chef! Yeah, I've been busy with Science Fair, not done much for myself for over a month now. Been fun working with the kid though.
Watching to see what you do with your rack.

Terminator- it works great. Light is working perfect and the latch mechanism isn't falling off, either. Sorry to hear the easy fix didn't help you, really cool the washer works again, though!
Old 02-05-2012, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

Hab,
After sleeping on it, I remembered a couple of threads dealing with steering column popping/chatter after front end/steering stuff was replaced. Food for thought if the UBJs pan out ok.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...column+chatter post 106 has a solution other than new parts, post 140 too

http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthrea...15#post2008715

Last edited by rworegon; 02-05-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:43 PM
Contributing Member

Checked it out yesterday but negative on the steering column. It's a good thing to keep in my head for later though.

Did some more checking out with the kiddo steering for me so I could get on the ground and see what's what... the rack bushings are junk! Yep, replaced in either June or July last year and they're allowing the rack to wiggle all over. Bolts are tight. This is a bit aggravating. Wheeler's bushing kits are now on their way. I went ahead and got 2 since the 99's original bushings are pretty shot too, though that rack's not got boogie fever like the 96's. Once I got low enough to really see under the truck it was plain as the eyebrows on my face. AND nose. Oy.
The credit for that one goes to rworegon.

For more fun the left upper ball joint is indeed bad. Just some popping right now, though. I got time. Springtime, hopefully.

So I'm up to:
Rack bushings
upper ball joints
u-joints
side blinkers
and the rest!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Contributing Member

Went on a date with my hubby today! I wanted to go to the junkyard for some fiddly bits I needed and he wanted to get something for his Volvo so that's where we went. I love the junkyard! I saw an air compressor in a 79ish Cadillac (PINK!!) and that got me to thinking. It was for the air suspension. Lincoln had air suspension too. Wonder how well those little compressors would work for airing things like tires? I'm guessing not too well, but still, the question remains. Might have to do some searching and researching to see what the answer is, unless one of y'all know?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

......and Hab's project list grows........
Old 02-07-2012, 05:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
Went on a date with my hubby today! I wanted to go to the junkyard for some fiddly bits I needed and he wanted to get something for his Volvo so that's where we went. I love the junkyard! I saw an air compressor in a 79ish Cadillac (PINK!!) and that got me to thinking. It was for the air suspension. Lincoln had air suspension too. Wonder how well those little compressors would work for airing things like tires? I'm guessing not too well, but still, the question remains. Might have to do some searching and researching to see what the answer is, unless one of y'all know?
What yard did ya hit hab? Anything good?
Old 02-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mightymouse
What yard did ya hit hab? Anything good?
Speedway. Nada. Same 3rd gen only picked even cleaner, if that's possible. Thought about calling to see if you needed anything but didn't want to bother you. Would have anyway if there was any trucks out there yelling your name but nothing sounded like mightymouse to me today.

I just got a couple of pigtails, some skinny hose clamps I've been wanting, another caddy horn to replace one I sorta drowned. I mostly went for inspiration and fun and those little bits. They didn't have a spare tire winch thingy but that one's no hurry. Oh, and a locking dif (quit laughing!).
Old 02-07-2012, 06:05 PM

hab I'll trade project lists any time lol
Old 02-07-2012, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

I wish I had the skills to do that bumper of yours....I have ideas! I didn't say good ideas.....

So many things to do, so little time! Between the truck, the house, the kid, work and the garden there are days I don't even know where to begin. Right now I should be finishing the laundry. Blech! I know you know exactly what I mean.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:24 PM

LOL I'm sure they are great ideas hab, by the time I have time to get to it you will probably have learned the skills. 1 day at home this time ugh maybe next time.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jason in tn
LOL I'm sure they are great ideas hab, by the time I have time to get to it you will probably have learned the skills. 1 day at home this time ugh maybe next time.
Oh man, that would not rock. Here's to getting more time for your laundry and those pesky other projects soon!
Old 02-08-2012, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

gotta luv dem pesky projects cher... me I still got de leaky ps pump and now de bushings on my driver door have got really bad... door drops about 3/8" when you open it... know it's not the hinge bolts they are all tight...
Old 02-08-2012, 05:14 PM
Contributing Member

The things we do (and don't do) to keep 'em running.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:32 PM
Contributing Member

My junkyard date netted me some fiddly bits to play with so today despite it being really really cold I did.
I found some sockets/pigtails off a couple of Honda Civic corners. Not the same sockets as described in Ritzy4Runner's thread but there you go.
It was his thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/c...tacoma-132967/ that inspired this mod. It's only an addition to the upcoming side turn signals, but I think a decent one.

Drill hole for socket. Notch hole for socket tabs (the Accord socket described in the link would be a lot better, no notches, nice grommet style) I used tape on a pencil to get any scraps out of the lens. There's actually 2 wires here, you just can't see one. I extended them with wire so they could reach the front turn signal from the marker light:

Strip covering off to expose and cut front turn signal wires.

Today it was too cold to solder so I used butt connectors to attach the green wire (+) from the turn signal and the red Honda wire (+) to the other side of the green turn signal (+). I did the same with the white turn signal wires (-) and the black Honda wire (-). Sorry, both my wire extensions are white, you'll just have to imagine that they connect to the correct colored wire!

Another view of same:

And here's both sockets installed in the side marker. For now I am using a 194 bulb for the marker light and a brighter 168 for the turn signal.

Both the markers and turn signals work. I tried to take pics of the action but, um. Yeah. No...
Off:

On- see the second bulb?:

Not as bright as the 1156 in the front turn signal but noticeable and can be seen from the side when you're coming up on it which makes it an improvement over the nothing that was there before.

I did this just because I felt like working on the truck today. I'll likely solder, heat shrink and wrap in warmer times. Don't know if they make a brighter T10 wedge than the 168 without going to LED. I'll be researching that.
Thanks to Ritzy4Runner for his very helpful thread.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Looks good in the daylight and will be even better in the dark. I like the idea of using the smaller bulb....seems easier to get it too fit in the lens. I may do this to my rig soon.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread