Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
Slider fab would be interesting. They may subtle but you'll find people will notice them.

The thought of mini-copters over my head makes me kinda glad my race days are over- though I likely wouldn't have even noticed them unless they were trying to pass me- or I, them!

You get to fly some awesome stuff. A bird's eye view is something you don't often see in 4Runner driving videos, would definitely be different.
At the first several MTB races, I was concerned the quadcopter overhead might be distracting, but they racers are so focused, they don't even notice (but after the race, many FB posts asking for the overhead videos!). Once I switch to the DJI Phantom and add a gimbal, FPV and telemetry, I will be able to film much better videos. The only limiting factor is the short battery life (e.g. 10-12 minutes of flight time in the majority of quadcopters and hexacopters); the DJI Phantom is currently the hands-down winner in this category, with 20+ minutes of flight per battery, even with the added payload weight of the gimbal and GoPro and Tx. Too bad I couldn't get in the real helicopters to film the races, but that would be an expensive proposition, as even the Little Bird runs ~$650 an hour wet (and no, I won't fly in the little piston-driven Robinsons).

Anyway, sorry for the tangent... here are a few photos of Cody welding the completed sliders to the frame of my '96 SR5, enjoy!
Name:  sliders3-weldingdriverside_zps657fdfb1.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  65.4 KB
Name:  sliders4-weldingdriverside_zps04bdc6b2.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  61.6 KB
Name:  sliders5-weldingdriverside_zps568b387e.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  60.6 KB
Name:  sliders6-weldingdriverside_zps3c057777.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  62.6 KB
Name:  sliders2-passengersidedone_zps9f7b2b59.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  40.5 KB
Name:  sliders1-passengersidedone_zps465cbe73.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  52.4 KB

Last edited by hrt4me; 07-22-2014 at 04:49 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:49 PM

my 4Runner shows up in this short clip, initially at the 0:56 mark:
Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
$650/hr? Dude! I could see why you'd want to fly, though.

Wow, those are really tucked up. They remind me a little of boat sliders 'cept for the not solid part. Cool.

Those quad copters still look like giant bugs to me.... kinda cool video, can see how something potentially exciting could be filmed.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:11 PM

$650/hr? Dude! I could see why you'd want to fly, though.
That's nothing, the Huey is ~$2200 per hour, wet...

Wow, those are really tucked up. They remind me a little of boat sliders 'cept for the not solid part. Cool.
I thought they resembled yours from Shrockworks, although it's been 8 months since I've seen any SW sliders up close...

Do you think they're too tucked up there? I have no plans to do any rock crawling, but they should suffice for the trails in Colorado, right?

Those quadcopters still look like giant bugs to me.... kinda cool video, can see how something potentially exciting could be filmed.
Those are actually hexacopters!
Old 07-23-2014, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

You nerd! hexacopters....

I don't think they're too tucked up, it looks clean. It also looks like they'll protect the rockers nicely. It could be the picture that makes them look that tucked in, but either way, I like the look.
Mine are sticky-outy enough I can use them to stand on when I'm dealing with the roof basket. Not level, and just enough sticks out for the balls of my feets:

Actually, looking at my pics, they look like yours do.

Honestly, I have yet to touch the sliders on anything I've done in Colorado or Utah. I know there's bigger stuff out there, but I haven't done it yet. Our last trip out all the hits were in Utah, on the hitch multiple times and once on the left rear lower control arm mount at the frame:

Clonk on the control arm mount-

Used the skids some too, but not the sliders. More than anything (so far) they protect me from door dings and give the hi-lift with slider adapter an excellent place to lift from.

In other words, I don't have enough experience to advise people on what to use, what angle, how close, any of that.

And when you say Huey I immediately get this picture of you on the back of the Baby Huey character from the old Warner Bros. cartoons.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice wheelie pics, Hab.
We've had 24 hours of crazy thunderstorms, lightening, rain and repeat. System is moving out now....oh, and only 62 deg at 8pm PST. Can I have summer back now?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 PM

I don't think they're too tucked up, it looks clean. It also looks like they'll protect the rockers nicely. It could be the picture that makes them look that tucked in, but either way, I like the look.
Mine are sticky-outy enough I can use them to stand on when I'm dealing with the roof basket. Not level, and just enough sticks out for the balls of my feets:
Actually, looking at my pics, they look like yours do.

And when you say Huey I immediately get this picture of you on the back of the Baby Huey character from the old Warner Bros. cartoons.
I'd wager my custom-fabbed welded sliders closely resemble your bolt-on SW ones, and I too can get just enough foothold on mine, particularly with the doors ajar, to reach the WMW roof rack. I'll take some better angled photographs in the daylight...

I had to Google that cartoon character and am still not familiar with Baby Huey; initially I thought you had been referring to Huey, Louie and Dewey... in this instance, however, Huey denotes a Bell UH-1D rotary wing aircraft!
Old 07-24-2014, 03:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rworegon
Nice wheelie pics, Hab.
We've had 24 hours of crazy thunderstorms, lightening, rain and repeat. System is moving out now....oh, and only 62 deg at 8pm PST. Can I have summer back now?
You want your 100+ temps back??? A few more crazy thunderstorms and you'll be up there skiing again! Okay, maybe not.
It's been a weird, cool summer here and I'm not sure I mind it but for lack of rain.
Originally Posted by hrt4me
I had to Google that cartoon character and am still not familiar with Baby Huey; initially I thought you had been referring to Huey, Louie and Dewey... in this instance, however, Huey denotes a Bell UH-1D rotary wing aircraft!
Hahaha, you young people....
yeah, I know, but the image remains. I never even liked that character, more of a pink panther/aardvark kind of girl when it comes to cartoon shorts.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:03 AM

Hahaha, you young people....
yeah, I know, but the image remains. I never even liked that character, more of a pink panther/aardvark kind of girl when it comes to cartoon shorts.
Good morning, you know we are essentially the same age (and I'm not talking about our respective '96 4Runners), right...?

So is that Henry Mancini instrumental your theme song (like whenever you enter a room)?
Old 07-24-2014, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

I can do without the 100+, but the mid-80 to low-90s would be good and the forecast looks like it will cooperate for the next few days.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Contributing Member

Hrt4me- you're up with me an old rw? No way!

Is there a walk in the room theme song called 'who smells like gear oil' or 'where'd those greasy handprints come from'? I'll never be cool enough for the Pink Panther Theme song.

I'm with you rw, mid-80 to low 90s is all good. Like today, but maybe some clouds here and there too.

96 4Runner
Put some old new speakers I'd bought back in the 90's for the Bronco II and never got 'round to installing into the 4Runner's front doors. I had them laying around so why not? It was super easy, a little soldering and ta-da!

Last edited by habanero; 07-24-2014 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:35 PM

Is there a walk in the room theme song called 'who smells like gear oil' or 'where'd those greasy handprints come from'? I'll never be cool enough for the Pink Panther Theme song.
my theme song:
Old 07-24-2014, 02:47 PM
Contributing Member

HAHA! Old???? Me???? You??? Nah, we're all just nicely aging like fine wine.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-24-2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rworegon
HAHA! Old???? Me???? You??? Nah, we're all just nicely aging like fine wine.
I think somebody got my cork in a little crooked.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner

Okay, Kenwood KDC-HD458U in, SanDisk Clip Sport mp3 player working with it, so far so good.

Haven't chosen a color yet, apparently there are a lot?

New right rear upper control arm in, needed it:

Went in super easy.

Awaiting my knight in greasy clothes for a couple o' junkyard rear lower control arms. They're off an '02 which supposedly have replaceable bushings whereas the 96's are captive. As I understand it the upper control arms in all third gens have captive bushings, hence the new oe uppers.

Heat index of 110 predicted for today. Now I know where rw's heat went...

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 266xxx miles
Next up: Replace Rack and Pinion. Last replaced Spring 2011 at 223,xxx miles with an A1Cardone.
Puking p/s fluid at the steering rod thingy. Feels a little funky to drive. Makes squeaky noises.

Urgh.

Six hundred something to go oe? That's why I got an A1. It did last a little over 40,000 miles and cost a couple of hundred bucks so I guess I can't complain? Nothing at the boneyards. Anywho, back at square one. Any thoughts appreciated.

At least this time I'll know to order one out of an '02 4Runner, whatever I get.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

My knight arrived!
The 96's captive bushings (top) compared to the '02's supposedly replaceable version (bottom):

I'll run these lower mileage lower control arms as is until the bushings need replacing.

The old lower arms don't look anywhere as bad as the uppers did. I'll hang onto them for spares.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

And did you know a person can sit upright behind the rear axle (minus spare, I'm not that small)?

My knight also brought a rear wiper arm cover:

and an a/c drain valve (I was missing the elbow that comes from the rubber piece sticking out of the firewall)

and I checked the horns (all 5 working) and cleaned the contacts

And now I am filthy, hot and not tired. What's next???

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Dang it! I just lost a long reply.... So, short version: New Kenwood looks great...you'll find a color to blend in, sorry about the R&P - another A1 replacement?, that is the look of determination or "I just want to be done!" haha, high temp is near 100 here for tomorrow with 20% humidity....100 HI sounds miserable. Stay hydrated!
Old 07-26-2014, 09:10 PM

I have not heard of the SanDisk Clip Sport mp3 player, do you like it?
What are some of the songs on your playlist?

96 4Runner 266xxx miles
Next up: Replace Rack and Pinion. Last replaced Spring 2011 at 223,xxx miles with an A1Cardone.
Puking p/s fluid at the steering rod thingy. Feels a little funky to drive. Makes squeaky noises.
wish I were back home, then I would come wrench with you because my own '96 SR5 has the same symptoms..

And did you know a person can sit upright behind the rear axle (minus spare, I'm not that small)?
yes, as a matter of fact, I do know that because I sit upright in that space fairly often, particularly now that my matching spare is on the SW bumper's swing-out tire carrier and no longer underneath

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread