Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Last two.
Rollins pass. Not a great spot to camp, but it was flat and quiet and near dark when we got there so we took it. On the way up we were passed by a darker colored 2nd gen who meeped at us. I didn't american horn him back.
I tend to get up right around dawn so...

and our last hurrah, Mt. Evans. Crowded!

And that's pretty much too much and also about it. Is it time to go back again?

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rworegon
Hab, how could one tire of these wonderful pics?? Not me anyhow. No bikes this trip? Hehe, bring on the snow.
No bikes. I'm not the anyweather rider I once was (let's just blame it on the kid ) and this spring was cold and wet and we were busy and and and anyway, not in good enough shape for it this year. We backpacked instead and may be futurely faced with backpacking and hiking vs. biking. Both are lots of fun but that's an awful lot of gear to haul. As it was the truck weighed 5400# even minus about 12 gallons of water and a week's worth of food and no bikes or bike gear.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enjoyed 'em all.

Have you ran into that much snow in prior years? I've been searching the snow for ski tracks.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks RW-

Apparently Colorado had a good year snow-wise. We did see some snow-board tracks up at Yankee lake on Rollins....seemed we saw some ski tracks somewhere too, I can't recall the where. To me it's crazy so much has melted yet there are still covered passes and we drive past snow still deeper than the truck is high.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Yes, CO had a good, if not great, snow year including some significant late spring snow fall. Hopefully, it's our turn here this coming year.

Do you ever run into rattle snakes on those hikes? Seems a great place for one to be lurking in nearly every crevice.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:40 PM
Contributing Member

So far the only snake we've seen is a whip snake climbing down into the canyon from Pete's Mesa at the Maze a couple of years ago. We've seen more moose than snakes, and the same number of bears as snakes.
Thank goodness!
Old 07-11-2014, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 266,xxx miles

Replaced front and rear sway bar bushings. Almost all were in good shape, the rear are originals though, and the front right got trashed again. The front left was fine but I figured I'd put the matching bushing in while I was under there.
The fronts were poly before, now they all are. The fronts were 27mm Energy Suspension bushings per the website catalog and they barely fit in, this time I found some Prothane #18-1115 26mm. The fit was better than the 27mm, not a struggle to fit them in.

Shows the sway bar bushing bracket has a nut toward the front and a bolt towards the back, undo both from the top side. Also shows the torn poly bushing from the right side. Always from the right side.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Hab! Hoping this set of bushings up front last longer than the prior set.

104 here for the high today, still 92 at 8pm. I'm hibernating in the A/C cooled house. It's too hot for me. Tomorrow could get exciting if the thunderstorms hit as predicted.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-12-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

Me too! At least they're cheap/easy to replace.

You got our summer. You can KEEP it! A very humid 90s today, with an arctic something or other coming in this afternoon, looks like the beginning of the week will be almost jacket weather, like in the 80s.

The hubby picked these up from the boneyard yesterday, now it's deciding time:

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 05:07 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 07:02 AM
Contributing Member

Hmmm. Centered, pic 3! Or, pic 1 for the brighter look. It took me a second look to see the differences in the pics. I need more coffee this morning it seems.
Yeah, that artic dealio was on the news out here too. Seems like a big ado about a bit of cooler temperatures.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-13-2014 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

I'm sure glad you're around RW, or I'd be talking to myself.

96 4Runner 266,233 miles
Passed state inspection! The guy thought the windshield wouldn't pass next go-round but that won't be for two years so I can start saving my pennies.
Old 07-14-2014, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Congrats on the pass.

My windshield has a vertical crack on the passenger side that started wiper high....it will be replace before winter. Darn rock in the last ski trip got it.

Haha....Chef and Aviator used to pop in here some, but where'd they go? I see your hubby is starting to rack up some posts around the forums here.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-18-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

They got bored over here (have you seen Chef's Silverback gal?) - or they simply have bigger fishes to fry, hopefully for them it's vacation fish!

Sorry to hear about the vertical crack. I've had one below my sightline on the passenger side but now there's a couple of stars from people flying past me on gravel and one from an acorn of all things. The mechanic seems to think the changing temps of winter will cause the stars to expand. We'll see. It's got so many pits it gets pretty hard to see pointed into the lowering sun.
Old 07-14-2014, 03:02 PM
Contributing Member

I've been following the Silverback thread.....quite the swap he did in short order. It looks sharp. Neither Chef or Avi are on as much as they used to be it seems.

It started out as a star and because it was at the wiper I did not notice it in time to have my glass guy fill it. My own silly fault. Oh, well.

Hmmmm, the squirrels aim was not so good or was it trying to use the rig as its nutcracker? Silly acorn.

Been meaning to ask: did your do any research on Goodyear Duratracs when you were going thru your tire selection process? From what I can tell, they wear good and are great on snow/slush so may fit my winter needs nicely.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-14-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:53 PM
Contributing Member

I did.
If I remember correctly Tire Rack's consumer rating was excellent as well. They seem to wear well as you said and the sipes make them better on the winter stuff but I keep seeing posts about punctured sidewalls which are kind of a big deal when you're out in the middle of nowhere. The two things that kept me from getting them was the sidewall issue and that everyone around here was out of my size and I didn't want to go 35's. Funny enough, some of the guys in mo4wd have them and were raving about them even as they were saying they had a tire that needed to be warrantied. That must be a pretty decent tire, if they like them so much an occasional sidewall puncture doesn't seem to faze them. The sipes tell me they'll have nicer winter and wet traction than the BFGs I got.

You missed the $120 off spring promotion Goodyear had on them, but the big tire companies seem to run promos spring and fall....see if you can't get wind of if and what they're planning for their fall rebate.

I couldn't believe how much Chef accomplished! It was hard to keep up with his old thread but this one seemed to hit warp speed!

We had corn with our dinner tonight and I am indeed wearing a jacket- it's pretty cool outside.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the info. I don't take the truck too far off the beaten path anymore so I'm not too worried about the sidewalls. I'm giving more weight to the winter snow traction to go skiing. As for size, nothing exotic, just the good old...31x10.5x15.

There seems to be $120 off deal if bought on a Goodyear credit card thru 7/31 ($60 off on regular card). May buy 'em unmounted and wait until fall to get them set-up.

Corn....yummy!!! 91, west wind at 20 mph right now and watching a small grass fire burn on the other side of the Columbia River in Washington. Lots of smoke drifting this way. The crews are slowly getting it knocked down.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-14-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

C'mon fire crews! Ah, there's a deal already? Well, there you go.

If it helps any the sidewall deals seem to happen during wheeling mostly...at least, the mentions I saw.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Concur, I saw the same on the sidewall issues. With just me, and no wheeling buds, about the most I do anymore is forest service fire and/or old logging roads.

The fire is in a relatively flat basalt scab lands area. Almost think they are letting it burn a bit so it reduces the grass load for the future. The fire departments, their volunteers, and the wheat farmers with water tanks on their trucks do an amazing job corralling the wild land and wheat field fires around here.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 266,250 miles

Left REAR upper control arm:

From research I found they have captive bushings, non-replaceable. If you order new bolts the nuts and washers also need to be ordered if you want them- they don't come together.

On earlier 3rd gens supposedly the lower rear control arms also have captive bushings but the later ones do not. I don't know the cut-off date for that but I do know I'll find out and either get a junkyard pair of the later version if I can find them and put in new bushings or buy the later version so the bushings can be replaced later on- whatever's more economical. Those also aren't as bad as the one upper arm I replaced today.

Old and new.

I pushed the bolt through on the front first and put the washer and nut on loosely. Next I used a screwdriver to pry the rear forward and up enough to slide that bolt through.

Then tighten both bolts to 107 ft lbs and ta-da!

The right side looks good enough to leave it for awhile, I'll probably get to it after recovering from the cost of the trip.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Also the cd player died. The button to get the cds out is bad and the player works sometimes.
Dang it! I don't really like the look of new radios with their vast expanses of glossy plastic and dearth of buttons. I like my old buttony radio. I could keep it but then all I've got is a tape deck and I do like to listen to non-radio music. I'm thinking instead of trying to find a cd changer and spending a new radio amount for older technology I'd spend it to get a new stupid looking hd radio and use the usb for music?

Lucky me, I've been using the Swagbucks search and have enough points for a hundred dollar gift card. That'll about cover a cheap stupid looking radio.

Open to suggestions....

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread