Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by habanero

Also the cd player died. The button to get the cds out is bad and the player works sometimes.
Dang it! I don't really like the look of new radios with their vast expanses of glossy plastic and dearth of buttons. I like my old buttony radio. I could keep it but then all I've got is a tape deck and I do like to listen to non-radio music. I'm thinking instead of trying to find a cd changer and spending a new radio amount for older technology I'd spend it to get a new stupid looking hd radio and use the usb for music?

Lucky me, I've been using the Swagbucks search and have enough points for a hundred dollar gift card. That'll about cover a cheap stupid looking radio.

Open to suggestions....
Buy a used stocker and put it in there?

I've got a 2nd gen CD/tape stock radio in my 1st gen...
Old 07-17-2014, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi ya Hab! Maybe take a gander around Crutchfield's or similar websites for ideas? My 8 year old Alpine has a CD built-in (no USB) and I find it's much easier to run everything off the iPod hooked to the head unit.

Temps have cooled down to the low 90's today, but the winds kicked up so the lightening caused fires are growing rapidly. Luckily most of them are in sparsely populated areas.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Tom- the cd changer part I'd need is an Alpine from 1998. I did look to see that Amazon actually has one (used) BUT do I want to spend the money on old technology or do I want to move up to newer stuff? Which would last longer and provide the best deal (price vs years of use)?
My current radio is from around '03 and still works great and like yours is radio and cassette. I like radio a lot, just need more than a cassette for those bad radio song days.

I talked to Crutchfield briefly, told them I liked what I had (Pioneer KEH P2030) but would like hd and usb/aux to run music from but I didn't like the new style radios.

Out of luck is what I got out of that.

Head unit? What about a head unit? I don't know this thing you are saying rw (off to research...)

Huh. That researching just made more questions! I must be doing it wrong!
My Pioneer has what looks like rca connectors in back.....I wonder if those could be of any use? I suppose we're talking analog to digital though. Man, I am no good at sound stuff.

Last edited by habanero; 07-17-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, and I've got another mod going on right now. I'm modding a mod. Hoping to get it done tomorrow-ish, pics then. You might know what it is, but I don't think any of us pictured it turning out the way it is appearing to...
Old 07-18-2014, 03:18 AM
Contributing Member

Modding a mod has me curious as to which mod is being modded.

Head unit (the brain?)....maybe there is a formal definition. I've tended to use it when referring to units that have several input/output options on the back of front for building and controlling the system.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rworegon
Modding a mod has me curious as to which mod is being modded.

Head unit (the brain?)....maybe there is a formal definition. I've tended to use it when referring to units that have several input/output options on the back of front for building and controlling the system.
Basically the stereo itself then? I'm still curious about the rca connectors on the back of mine... wonder if they'd be of any use. Prolly though, they're just outputs for something?

Mod mod modding. Washed it this morning, getting ready to sand and fill some.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:12 AM
Contributing Member

Yes, it's the after market stereo unit. RCA jacks typically hook up amps and maybe some other devices of which escape me at the moment.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:55 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
car radios have 3 main parts: head unit, amplifier, and speakers

the head unit is the thing with the display and buttons. it's what controls the sound (radio/cd/aux/etc)

the amplifier makes the sound loud. most head units have an amplifier built-in, meaning you can connect speakers directly to the wiring harness. output power is measured in watts. more watts = more volume/speakers. the rca plugs on the back of the head unit are not amplified. these need to be plugged into an external amp if you want to go that route.

speakers deliver the sound to your ears. it's good habit to match the speaker ratings to the amplifier (if the amplifier has a rating of 50w 4Ω, the speakers should be 4Ω and at least 50w)

hope that helps

Last edited by irab88; 07-18-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

That helps lots rw and irab!

Now I'm wondering what watt the stock speakers are....

My current head unit radio thingy is 40w and you're right about those rca connectors are too wimpy to do with what I was thinking without that external amp which makes no sense because it would cost as much as a new ugly stereo. Most all the stereos I can afford are 50w. What-all I've got now is plenty loud for me.

And so I am returning to the original square one, new head unit.

Y'all are the coolest.

(been outside painting, sanding, washing, drilling, cutting and drinking coffee)
Old 07-18-2014, 11:50 AM

Received 93 Likes on 65 Posts
New head unit is the best idea. I had quite the odyssey with my 00's stereo. The head unit is engineered to stop lighting up at about 100k miles. I got an identical one off eBay, $25. It too died within about 5k miles. I then got a 4th gen unit cheaply. The back light are orange and the CD player died quickly. I picked up a Kenwood from Crutchfield and it's fine. I don't like modern car stereos all that much (too fiddly) but I can play my iPhone and it has selective colors for the back lighting. I got an identical Kenwood cheaper off eBay for the other 4Runner but haven't hooked it up yet. I'm still using the factory speakers because they actually sounded better with the new head unit. I pulled the old factory amp out too.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 PM
Contributing Member

It has buttons.....I'm sure there are others.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENWOOD-EXCELON-KDC-X497-CD-CAR-STEREO-IPOD-USB-IPHONE-MP3-EQUALIZER-HD-RADIO-/131088107350?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item1e8575c756&vxp=mtr
Old 07-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks Nervo, that's kinda along the lines of my thinking about replacing the cd changer with a used one vs a new stupid looking radio.
I'll go with the head unit then.

That way I'll have two things to get used to:

I may color the white to something less....THERE....
but first I will give myself some time to get used to it. That seemed to work when I did the original Junkdrawerashi grill.
You remember the original this? or this? pics from a page or so ago?

Apparently my dearest and most loveable hubby thought them to be a tad small so he surprised me with something.....
BIGGER!

I dunno. I could see it growing on me. I made a new grill and recessed it so the letters wouldn't stick out beyond the outside edge. Pretty sure everybody will know what it is now!

Could make the letters grey. Or Blue Azure Pearl. Hmmmm.....

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:10 PM
Contributing Member

I like the grill. The larger letters are better proportionally to the size of the rig, IMHO.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-18-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rworegon
We must be on the same page, I was looking at the Kenwood KDC-HD458U, which looks very similar. I will look into this one as well. Both seem to be the least crazy looking in my affordability category.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
habanero, I replaced the oem factory CD changer in my own '96 4Runner SR5, so if you can use it, then I'd be glad to send it (along with the amplifier) your way... it works!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hrt4me
habanero, I replaced the oem factory CD changer in my own '96 4Runner SR5, so if you can use it, then I'd be glad to send it (along with the amplifier) your way... it works!
Hrt4me, you are the best! I have since decided to heed the wise advice above and get a new head unit. That way I'll be able to use either the usb or adapter to play my music with a cheap mp3 player like the Sandisk with add-on memory. It won't be as cool as a stereo with buttons like you're offering but I guess not having the cds in the glove box will be nice too. Thanks so much though!!!
Old 07-21-2014, 06:13 PM

Hrt4me, you are the best! I have since decided to heed the wise advice above and get a new head unit. That way I'll be able to use either the usb or adapter to play my music with a cheap mp3 player like the Sandisk with add-on memory. It won't be as cool as a stereo with buttons like you're offering but I guess not having the cds in the glove box will be nice too. Thanks so much though!!!
That's too bad, I wish you could have put them to use, I don't know what else to do with them, and I don't want to just throw them away... the CD changer works fine; the only reason I switched to the Alpine HU was so I could play music and Podcasts directly from my iPod, as well as the satellite radio... even with my new Alpine HU, though, I still have CDs in the center console!

Anyway, following up on your request for photos, my custom-fabbed sliders are subtle and resemble yours from SW:
Name:  rangeday_zps59ff985a.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  66.8 KB
Name:  DJIS-800ampF550_zpsa5fc6083.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  42.4 KB
Old 07-21-2014, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Mmmmm, truck centerfolds....
All I get is humming birds hovering over the 96- you get giant robomosquitos. Oh yeah, they know a good thing when they see it!

Looks like you went with about 67-68" sliders, looks really good. How did you get out of doing a build thread on your baby? You know the next pics we need- action shots!
Old 07-21-2014, 08:39 PM

Mmmmm, truck centerfolds....
All I get is humming birds hovering over the 96- you get giant robomosquitos. Oh yeah, they know a good thing when they see it!

Looks like you went with about 67-68" sliders, looks really good. How did you get out of doing a build thread on your baby? You know the next pics we need- action shots!
My sliders are indeed ~67" in length, but they are so subtle in those photos, I know you can barely see them... so I will post additional photos tomorrow of the actual fabrication and welding in progress!

I started with a Blade 350 QX entry-level quadcopter so I could videotape MTB races and shooting events with the GoPro Hero 3+ Black, and now I'm going to add a DJI Phantom 2 Vision Plus with its on proprietary camera; those drones depicted are some friends' DJI S-800 with retractable landing gear and a DJI F550, both with FPV.

Rather than action shot pics, how about video from the GoPro of me driving the 4Runner under those hexacopters? Or I can offer GoPro video of me flying in a Bell 206 Jet Ranger helicopter over my 4Runner, as well as GoPro video from the Hughes 500C Little Bird you saw parked next to my 4Runner on page 99 of your thread?
Old 07-22-2014, 03:27 AM
Contributing Member

Slider fab would be interesting. They may subtle but you'll find people will notice them.

The thought of mini-copters over my head makes me kinda glad my race days are over- though I likely wouldn't have even noticed them unless they were trying to pass me- or I, them!

You get to fly some awesome stuff. A bird's eye view is something you don't often see in 4Runner driving videos, would definitely be different.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread