Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
where in Missouri are you?

I grew up in Rolla...
Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
A bit further east....St. Louis suburbia. We were at the Berryman trail south of Bourbon this past 4 days and sometimes mess around at Kaintuck, that's about as close as I ever get to Rolla unless I'm driving through to Springfield for some Mexican Villa and other fun and games. Always looking for new places to hike, mountain bike and wheel, if you've got suggestions.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 PM

I left Missouri 19 years ago and don't get back too often, so unfortunately I can't offer any good suggestions... I know a few good caves, though...
Old 01-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

I'm a little claustrophobic maybe. Caves, tight spaces (like fat mama squeeze at Elephant Rocks) and crowded shopping malls, well really any shopping malls, give me the willies. The natural stuff is worth some stress so I don't miss out on everything, the other I avoid like the plaque.

Truck-wise I've done nothing. Not even got around to putting the skids back on. Bad me. If it ever warms up long enough I'll wash it but I've gotta wait so I don't freeze everything shut. Stupid salt.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:09 AM

next time you head down I-44 near Rolla, take a 30 minute detour south to Gourd Creek Cave [37°49'37.35"N, 91°51'14.96"W] - you can practically drive up to it, and its mouth is large enough to fit a house in there; a Google query yields plenty of images as well as a few videos
Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

Staying out of caves in general for now due to WNS, but definitely noted for later!
http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/ou...drome-missouri
Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
NO CAVES! WHAT WILL I DO NOW? "Dangit, honey.... we have to move AGAIN!"

hehe... SUP HAB!?!?! Hope all is well... HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Far as I know White Nose hasn't gotten anywhere near you yet.
Nothing up here, just waiting for the kid to finish cleaning up his room and I actually got the Christmas tree down before February. Shocking.

Happy New Year to you too, Chef. Here's to a brighter year with lots of good Toyota electrical love!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

You took the tree down already!?... "Christmas" ain't over til after Orthodox Christmas which is still coming up... you philistine... and making the stoker clean his room? have you never heard "a creative mess is better then tidy idleness"....
still I guess he does have to shovel up the lego once in a while...
Old 01-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

Given the Russian Jewish part of my heritage and all the Jews in my extended family perhaps I should have waited until Rosh Hashanah?

Shovel.......steam shovel??? I prefer to keep the creative mess internal, it's hard enough to keep track of that....

Happy New Year, Avi!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by habanero
Staying out of caves in general for now due to WNS, but definitely noted for later!
http://mdc.mo.gov/discover-nature/ou...drome-missouri
I had heard about that a few years ago, but since forgotten because I have not been spelunking in many years, so thank you for the reminder!

On a vehicle-related note, how/where did you wire your switch for the powered antenna? I would like to do something similar on my own 1996 4Runner...
Old 01-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

WNS's only been around MO for a couple of years, I hadn't heard that it was in Texas yet.

Wiring the antenna switch was pretty easy. For my truck all I had to do is splice a switch into the power antenna wire, blue and white in my case (aftermarket radio from PO). I figured if I messed up and got the wrong wire I'd solder and heat shrink it and try again. I used a factory on/off switch (junkyard) in a spare spot in the center console.

"The ECT switch is now my antenna switch and is in the center console. Spliced it into the blue and white wire from the radio using extra wire. Now the antenna goes up when I want it to rather than anytime the radio's on."

Now I only use the antenna if I need it for reception, which isn't until I get pretty far out of town and not at all if I'm listening to cds.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
good idea using an ect switch. Rock Slide also did a write here up using a radio shack switch and and a y adapter to connect both antenna's to an aftermarket head unit. The PO destroyed my antenna mast and I only have the rear and it works really good. I did this just to keep the motor from turning on all the time.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

I remember that thread though hrt4me might not. You guys with your fancy schmancy rear antenna. The 99 has one but the 96 does not, at least, my 96 doesn't.
Edit: Unless you count cb antennas!
Old 01-06-2013, 04:03 PM

I remember that thread though hrt4me might not. You guys with your fancy schmancy rear antenna. The 99 has one but the 96 does not, at least, my 96 doesn't.
Edit: Unless you count cb antennas!
I thought I was overlooking something, but I just re-checked my own 1996 4Runner, and it does not seem to have the rear diversity antenna neither
Old 01-06-2013, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

I was just thinking about the combo am/fm/cb factory antennas on some 70's country squires... talked to a CB shop guy about that idea once and was told it was'nt good for either type...
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 PM
Contributing Member

Country Squire station wagon!!! Ma used to drive those things. My dad would get them cheap as a used up fleet car and my 5' tall mom would own that thing with us three kids sliding around on the metal floor from front seat to back window. It wasn't bad unless she had something heavy in there too, like the time she bought a typewriter at a garage sale- manual, mind you- it was typewriter roulette for miles. Back and forth, side to side. One of my sisters got a big huge egg on her arm when it finally got her.
Ah, those were the days, thanks for the memory jog Avi.

I think for now I'll stick to the Wilson Flex, it seems to do the job well and I've only broken one so far through no fault of its own. I don't know much about frequencies and what-not, but an am/fm/cb antenna doesn't sound too right.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:16 PM

Today while we were hiking Mina Sauk I heard a weird angry buzzy sound. Looked over to find what was making said noise and was a tad alarmed to see a rattle snake!
That was certainly a surprise.
This past Memorial Day 2012 during the annual DORBA (Dallas Off Road Bicycle Association) pilgrimage to Camp Clearfork in the Ouachita National Forest (halfway between Hot Springs and Mt. Ida, Arkansas), my wife on her Jamis Dakar 650B softail crested a small climb and suddenly rolled over an ~ 6' rattlesnake (as thick as my wrist) stretched across the trail - that rattler, either reflexively or out of anger at just being ridden upon, coiled back and struck the bottom of her cycling shoe while she was in forward motion and pedaling on her mtb! I was following her by about ten yards on my own Gary Fisher 29er hardtail and merely witnessed the snake turning around and slithering off back down the ridge. Later back at camp we saw the faint marks on the bottom outer edge of her hard soles where the snake's fangs must have struck!

BTW, since I bought this '96 4Runner back in early September, I have been experiencing an occasional buzzing noise from under the hood near the driver's side, and ironically just this evening while browsing 4Runner forums I just stumbled across the issue, its cause and the remedy (and boy was I relieved to learn it is not an related to the vehicle's electrical system, per se)... so I am wondering whether you ever noticed anything similar with your own '96?

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/9...nd-fix-132448/
and
curing the annoying underhood 'buzz' from the evaporator cannister
Old 01-07-2013, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

Yep, I have the moo on the 96. It's very common. They had a fix for it but that's been since discontinued. It was just an empty box added on, you can still find pics of it. I may make something like it some day but it just doesn't concern me that much.

The thing that does concern me is when I drive down something particularly steep the charcoal canister (moo box) makes a very angry constant buzzing and there is a strong smell of fuel up there. Everything seemed to test fine but that doesn't seem right to me at all. It's only happened a few times, all in Utah in 103+ degree heat, not since. It seems loosening the fuel cap makes the buzzing stop, it was either doing that or pulling the line off the box for a second. I can't remember. I should get around to making a question thread on it.
The 99 doesn't moo so I switched the boxes and corresponding bits around. My 96 kept mooing even with the 99's box.

Having 2 3rd gens is kinda fun. The 99 kept getting a tps code w/no apparent driveablity issues so I switched tps's. Now the 99 has no more codes and the 96 seems to care less, no codes either.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice work. I really love your dashboard work.

I want to cram a ham radio on the same spot. Id also like to retrofit a sat radio.

Oh and nice cakes!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread