Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 04:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Hab! Wishing you and your family the very best of the holiday season!

What have you been up to on the Runners lately?

Small project here: resealling the driver side canopy window last week with a silicone and that stuff takes days to harden at 38-40 degrees. Hopefully, it helps prevent the lake from forming again in the bed.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Very happy holidays to you too! We went for a 2 day trip on Bell Mountain this past weekend. Weather was so nice it was almost fair weather backpacking. I didn't think it as pretty as our Russell mountain to Johnson's Shut-Ins and back trip, but still some good views and a bit easier and shorter.

Haven't had much time to mess with the truck so all those to-dos are still to-dos. Ah well. Good luck on the lack of lake! That's another to-do having to do for the 96, only with the windshield. When we get heavy enough rain water runs down between the window and shrunken trim, into the engine compartment, in through the firewall and onto the floorboard.

Right now there's apparently some suicidal armed person in the woods between the high school and middle school a little down the road from here. Poor kids are on lockdown and can't leave either of those schools or the two nearby elementary schools (they had after school curriculars) until the swat team and dogs and what-not are finished. At least they think the person is not a threat to the kids, they're just being really really careful and who could blame them? Hoping everyone gets to go home soon and safe.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Scary! Stay safe...

I hate water leaks....'nuff said.

Mountains are getting hammered with snow....too much almost for downhill skiing so may break out the snowshoes instead. You need to post up a pic or two of these weekend trips....a Hab's weekend trip thread.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Contributing Member

We keep forgetting the camera! Picture 2 big people each carrying 1 1/2 people's worth of stuff each and 1 little people with a Deuter Fox 40 pack (water, sleeping bag, sleeping pad) walking through the woods while the short stuff sings and talks our ears off. Got no worries of sneaking up on black bears or feral pigs, you can hear that stinker from a mile away.

Snowshoeing sounds like more coordination than I would know where to find. Have lots of fun not tripping over your own feets.

A 19 year old turned himself in and police recovered a shotgun so that's all done. They took him to a hospital but it sounds like other than his mental state he's alright.

I hate water leaks too, the truck gets kinda locker room when I can't get it dried out quick enough.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:22 PM
Contributing Member

Whew! Glad that incident came to a quick resolution.

Haha, I can totally picture the expedition. Stoker is one lucky dude having the parents he has building him a huge experience bank at a young age. Bravo!

Googled up Bell Mountain...looks nice. I'm used to towering conifer forests though.

If you can walk/hike, you can 'shoe. Easy peezy.

Last edited by rworegon; 12-17-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:44 PM
Contributing Member

Love the forests of Colorado with its pine and aspen though the darned beetles are taking their toll. Here the oak trees rule. Tall tall beautiful oaks. We have some pine too, not so much as you. Hawn is a bit crowded but gorgeous with its whispering pines. We've recently been exploring the Ozark Trail more thoroughly. Built and maintained various sections of it but hadn't gotten 'round to enjoying more than the few sections we tend to frequent. Making up for it as best as we can. So much to do and see!

Snowshoes: Other people's laughter at my expense!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by habanero
Here the oak trees rule. Tall tall beautiful oaks.
Here we get scrawny scrub oaks and very few aspen. The beetles have killed large stands here too.

I would be laughed at the same if I tried taking my bike on the stuff you guys ride....suppose it all just takes practice. :-)
Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Hab.... just wanting to wish you and yours A FANTASTICALACIOUS, TOYOTATICULITUS RIDDLED CHRISTMAS! hehe... seriously... best to ya all... and Happy New Year as well!!
Old 12-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Contributing Member

Wow, most original holiday wish ever and same to you, Chef! The 1st holiday sometimes has down moments so rejoice in family and best memories. Today I was remembering how Ma would make us sandwiches to take to school and forget to take the wrapper off the cheese so sometimes lunch was an adventure! I kinda miss wrapper cheese, it always made me laugh and even now I am smiling ear to ear. I think you know what I'm trying to say,
Happiest holidays to you and yours.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

Today I was remembering how Ma would make us sandwiches to take to school and forget to take the wrapper off the cheese so sometimes lunch was an adventure! I kinda miss wrapper cheese, it always made me laugh and even now I am smiling ear to ear.
Hab, your Ma and my Mom must be related.... Mom would often fail to unwrap the cheese and when we said something she just claimed it kept the cheese from drying out. She still does it sometimes to Dad. While both of my parents arre still here, it does bring back memories.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

Wrapper cheese!!!
Old 12-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Contributing Member

Wrapper cheese!!!
Yup. I called it plastic cheese growing up. Now, I never buy Kraft American singles.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:45 PM
Contributing Member

Hi ya, Hab! Did the wild weather miss you guys? Hope so.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

Not so much as a flake, just cold and a nasty wind. The kid and I are off right now, for winter break. Went for a hike on Christmas but did diddly squat today. Thinking about that New Year's camping trip, if how where and when. Hope all is well on your patch of planet.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wrapper cheese haha... that only happened maybe once or twice to me... mom was always careful about that kind of thing... but it did happen... mostly I got black forest ham and fresh cut gouda with mustard. ...

Merry Christmas to you and yours hab... hope Santa was good to the stoker.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Dude! Boney cheese or pbj for us girls. Hope you had a great Christmas too Avi!
Old 12-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

A tiny bit of snow on the yard, none on the roads, 35 deg, no wind and Mt. Hood is getting hammered with snow....a nice mix here.

All is good here.....other than overdoing it skiing last Friday and killing the legs for a few days ofterwards. The hazard of being mentally in shape and physically a bit out. lol.

Have fun camping as 2013 rolls in!

Last edited by rworegon; 12-26-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 PM

96 4Runner... I fixed the non-lighted climate control.
A quick how-to (after dash is apart):

Once you get down to the clear plastic doo-dad that is over the bulb, undo it. There is a plastic tab where my thumb is that you pull away from the lens while you gently pry the lens up with a small flat blade screw driver. Should require no force at all....

The lens you just removed...

Which exposes the single lonely little bulb socket. Pull bulb straight out....

Here is the old bulb (green) next to the new bulb (clear)

Carefully roll the little green bulb condom off the old bulb. Roll onto new bulb.

Test it before you put the whole mess back together. Success!

The lens keys into the driver's side and clips in on the passenger side...

And there you go. No more climate control roulette at night!
thanks, this was very helpful, as I just now changed my bulb behind the climate control tonight
Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 PM

Hey hab just checking in, sounds like you had a good holiday. Hope the new year is a great one for all of us.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

Hrt4me: Very glad to hear, that's exactly what this thread is intended for.

Hey everybody and Happy New Year! Just got back from 4 days in the woods. 3" of snow on the ground when we started, the warmest day was also the coldest at 9 for a low and 38 for a high. It snowed the entire day on the 3rd day and all that wet froze solid the final day when it got down in the teens. It was really pretty, chilly, fun and great family time!
Like a long distance bike rides, the best parts of backpacking are backpacking and not backpacking!

Hope the new year is a great one for all of us.
I'll second that! Here's to having time for all that makes you happy and not having to spend it on stuff that doesn't.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread