Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Hab. I know you have gone to the Tundra brakes on the 96' which I plan on doing this weekend. I'm sure I have missed it somewhere in your thread, but I can't find if you are running 15" or 16" wheels. I read that you required spacers for the 231mm calipers and I'm just trying to figure if it that was possibly because if 15" wheels. Allegedly, you can bolt on 231mm with the 16" Limited wheels which I have on my SR5. I'm hoping no spacers on the 16" as I would like to knock this out tomorrow. Any input would be great. Thanks for the awesome thread and Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hab's '96 is on 16" wheels that much I know.

Last edited by rworegon; 11-27-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:35 AM

Thanks rw. I'm sure she has it posted in the thread. I think I was just hoping they would have been 15" at the time of Tundra brake swap as I do not want to add spacers to the list of purchases for today. Wishful thinking.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

As far as what size she had on when she did the brake swap, I cannot remember. She's put a pretty detailed index on page one of this thread....take a look.

Last edited by rworegon; 12-01-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by NewToYota
Hello Hab. I know you have gone to the Tundra brakes on the 96' which I plan on doing this weekend. I'm sure I have missed it somewhere in your thread, but I can't find if you are running 15" or 16" wheels. I read that you required spacers for the 231mm calipers and I'm just trying to figure if it that was possibly because if 15" wheels. Allegedly, you can bolt on 231mm with the 16" Limited wheels which I have on my SR5. I'm hoping no spacers on the 16" as I would like to knock this out tomorrow. Any input would be great. Thanks for the awesome thread and Happy Thanksgiving.
NewToYota...just got back from a bunch of fun and games in the woods, obviously I've missed your message in time to really help, but here's the answer anyway:

rw's right, I had the 16" split 3spoke wheels when I put the Tundra brakes on, which do require at least 1/4" spacers (I've long since switched to 1" adapters, much nicer and better a-arm and frame clearance with the 285s, but that's another story).

I have read that the 5 stars like yours will work without any spacers. That was also true with snowflake wheel on the 99.
You cannot fit a 15" wheel over Tundra brakes at all, just an fyi.

Sorry I wasn't able to answer in a timely manner, hopefully you got the info you need and your swap went without a hitch (or spacer!). Let us know if you think of it.

And Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

Last edited by habanero; 11-30-2014 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:52 AM

Hey thanks for getting back. I figured there was a good possibility of some holiday off grid happenings so the time of reply is no big deal. I read through your thread again and some others as well. Part of my problem is/was still adjusting to the verbiage of Yotas. I have seen each set of wheels referred to as five different names and just wanted to be sure. I changed gears until the after the holidays and went with new OEM stock pads and rotors. I should have rebuilt or put on new calipers as well, but I'm doing the swap in January so trying to save the old budget. After getting this thing up on jack stands and spending a couple of days in the wheels wells doing the brakes and suspension I believe the Tundra equipment will bolt up with my current wheels. I will update with the brake swap progress when it happens. For now I am thrilled about braking in the Runner without the teeth shattering, wrist breaking, arm dislocating activities that went on during a stop prior to this weekend's brake work. Also loving the sway bar repair. No more front corner lean when parked or death defying cornering. Thanks again for the response and all of the detailed write ups.

Last edited by NewToYota; 12-01-2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Forgot info
Old 12-01-2014, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member

NewToYota...
Glad to hear from you. Make sure your rear brakes are adjusted too and maybe you'll be good to go for awhile and can do the Tundra swap at your leisure, if that's what you want to do.
I believe you have 5-stars, 5 broad spokes with raised edges that the limiteds came with. Those wheels should bolt right on over the tundra calipers. Pics are okay here (we're pic whores) if you want confirmation or just to show off.
Sounds like this is your first yota? Year? Stick or auto? Miles? Welcome to the madness!
Old 12-01-2014, 07:12 PM

Sounds like this is your first yota? Year? Stick or auto? Miles? Welcome to the madness!
It truly is Madness. I'm definitely hooked and cannot stop tinkering. I feel almost as if I'm neglecting it if a day goes by that I don't at least remove, inspect and clean something. To answer your question(s): this is MY first Toyota. The wife has had a Camry Le for a couple of years now that frankly and I have wanted nothing to with it. I haven't so much as changed the oil, but after getting the 'bug' I had it in the garage on stands last night after finishing the Runner. The Runner is a 96', an automatic and is at 203K currently. It's an SR5 with 16" wheels in Desert Dune. AND, if you remember I am the noob who had "65"" tires with my first Yotatech post, lol. I have started a build thread and will definitely be filling it up with pics. I just started my Photobucket so... I will update you here on the Tundra brakes when they happen (with pics). I have purchased all my PVC and inlets etc... Going tomorrow to find either a deck plate or the equivalent locally and hopefully will have some pics of that tomorrow night. As always thanks for the tips and info. Be well. TW
Old 12-02-2014, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

I hadn't stuck the two together, looking forward to your build....and....65" wheels still make an amusing pic.
Old 12-08-2014, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Hab! Recovery is slooooow, but coming along.
Hope all is great over your way.

Last edited by rworegon; 12-08-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:26 AM
Contributing Member

Glad to hear it's happening rw, and good morning!

All's good here. I haven't had a chance to figure out how to install the newest little doo-dad yet. Been cold and wet. Also got an abs sensor from the junkyard to replace the rt rear that got messed up when the wheel bearing kerblooyed. 'Bout over a cold too.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:57 AM
Contributing Member

And, good morning to you!
Glad you are on the mend. Colds and flu have been hitting round here for the past month or so. So far, it's missed me. Lots of gray rainy days here too of late. It kinda saps the motivation to be outdoors.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Hopefully it keeps missing you. We've had our trailer loaded up 3 different weekends in the last two months and always when I'm hooking it up to the 4runner someone gets sick and we haven't gone.

Hopefully your cold goes away and stays away.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys, it's just the usual Lunch Lady receives multiple Kid Sneezes daily and finally succumbs. At least they didn't give me the barf thing that was going around!!!
Grey here, too, day after day. Makes me all hibernatey.
Old 12-09-2014, 04:00 PM
Contributing Member

And, hopefully the boy-o does not bring the barf thing home.
I hear ya on the hibernate mode.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 270,065 miles

Replaced rt rear abs sensor that got messed up when the wheel bearing kerblooyeed with junkyard one. Easy enough.

Also finally got around to messing with the junkyard doo-dad (post 2199)

It's an under-hood light out of a full-size GM that uses a rocker weight rather than mercury to turn on and off. Took it apart to see how it works:

Closed the hood on styrofoam set on top of the engine to figure out where on the hood to install it. I didn't want it directly over the intake and it has to be installed straight, not angled, for the rocker to work.

I cut a couple of holes in the hood brace for the brackets to fit into. Haven't wired it yet so I don't know how well it's going to work. We can hear the switch working when the hood is opened and closed. Once I get it wired I'll be able to tell if I like it or not.

camera is tilted---my hood is not this upright:

It might be too low, will see when I get it lighted. Just one of those mess with the 4Runner projects on a fine half-decently warm BLUE SKY Sunday.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Hab! Fun, functional little project that light is. I wish we had a junk yard or two around here for fun little finds like you come up with there.

Blue sky? Warm? What's that? 39 and fog here all day. Bleah.

Last edited by rworegon; 12-14-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:52 PM

Very cool addition hab. I had no idea you had done the satoshi grill on your runner, I'm going to have to go back through your thread.
Have you ever worked on any part of the heater on yours the hot/cold selector to be exact?
Old 12-14-2014, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Very cool addition hab. I had no idea you had done the satoshi grill on your runner, I'm going to have to go back through your thread.
Poor girl's junkdraweroshi. Gutter guard, spare nuts and bolts, some paint:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200.../index102.html

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Have you ever worked on any part of the heater on yours the hot/cold selector to be exact?
It was for the fan switch, but try post 1395 for a couple of pics of the climate control, and the 1st pic of 1396
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f200...l#post52103535

They're cable operated. What is your doing?
Old 12-14-2014, 04:24 PM

Hey hab, I can't get mine to mix hot and cold, it's full on hot or move even slightly to the cold side and its full on cold. Burn up or freeze lol, tried researching it and haven't been able to find anything. Thought maybe you had dealt with it or something similar.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread