Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 10:51 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Holy brake cable bible, Spicy Girl! Haha. ... You rock, great write up! great puppy! Great garden stories.... andddddddd, even if you are lactose intolerant, through other methods, you could enjoy stuffed zucchini in many ways... is by far one of my favorite grilling vegetables. even camping it's very simple to make this if you never have, which from reading your stuff for quite a while I doubt is the case... but just in case, just get some ricotta, small amount of good parmigianno Reggiano or Romano or.... heck just use some decent parmesan! lol..., good bread crumbs, egg, plenty of seasoning, and do a proper blend similar to meatloaf for anything else were you just simply want a decent ratio hi on the cheese and then bound by the egg and bread crumb. Cut the zucchini lengthwise in half and scoop out the seeds or core. I use a melon baller. Make your mix of stuffing and stuff it into the cavity and bake...( it should definitely still be moist but not to the point that it will run right of the zucchini if you mounded it on top fairly well )..... I've grilled this many times it's no problem. I just put it on the top rack because once it started you don't want to move it too much as it gets softer.( I basically like to scrape it right on to the plate from the top rack... but it's no problem putting it directly on the grill I'm just support from the back in stupid with a spatula or something of the sort and get onto a plate).

You can incorporate anything into your stuffing including crab. Or Porcini mushrooms and Vidalia onions(duxelle).... Or all of it. I even had a specials of Lincoln Log cabins of these which I had dipped in a buttermilk batter and shallow fried....

I can think of about 300 other recipes right now, but let's start with one, that if you've never tried it, I guarantee it will blow your mind. if you want exact ingredients later, I can do that... , it's just that I've done them for about 25 years, and most things, well, people just don't realize how little you measure things at a certain point. I'm sure you know what I meant by the meatloaf mixture?

Have a great rest of your week Habs!

Happy hump day to everybody!!!

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-17-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Thanks Chef, I think I know what you mean by 'meatloaf mixture' though I'd not had meatloaf until my mom-in-law made it this spring. Sounds good, I'll have to give it a try. I'm not a great cook, but I'm not starving either. Obviously.
For breakfast today I cooked sausage, zucchini, jalapeno in the fry pan a little, then added some scrambled eggs with sage and basil out of the garden. Scrambled veggie eggs. Best jalapeno pepper I've ever gotten out of the garden, thick flesh and zippy. I've saved seeds from it for next year.

A happy hump day to you and great week too, Chef!
Old 07-17-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Start putting switches on the ceiling.

Then you can pretend you are flying a jet and have to do a pre-start.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Red Wagon
Start putting switches on the ceiling.

Then you can pretend you are flying a jet and have to do a pre-start.
Hmmmm.....
Old 07-17-2013, 01:34 PM

It's a good idea. All kinds of wasted space up there just begging for switches.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:47 PM
Contributing Member

Sunroof. I could install a couple of rows above the visors. Flipping the visor up and down to get to them could be construed as switch-like. If I stuck more lights on and put all those switches within my 10 year old's reach I could have a light show everywhere I go.

Well, that and a lot of tickets. :/
Old 07-17-2013, 03:18 PM

Been considering doing a panel of pushbutton soft touch switches in my b pillar for the OBA and 4 LED light switches I'll be running.... 8 x 7" LED bars on the rCk and the 20" that's on there now on the Addicted bumper..... Just can't wait!

Similar to this. ......

Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=360696989348

Red, Blue, Green, Yellow/or pink if I can't find yellow.
Old 07-17-2013, 05:09 PM
Contributing Member

That sounds excellent, Chef and those are a nice shape for that spot. Will they bother your peripheral vision there on the B pillar? I'm gonna be jealous of your on board air for certain, it's on the list of Where will it fit and when can I afford it?

PS. Zucchini works pretty good in dirty corn chowder. Next year maybe two or three plants, 10 is too many! The hubby's out picking blackberries now. I've made hot milk sponge cake to go with. Have a good dinner...
Old 07-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Contributing Member

Nice e-brake tutorial, Hab! My e-brake project will be a bit different as I have the pull e-brake under the dash...time to dig out my FSM.

Last edited by rworegon; 07-17-2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

Auto...bummer. Well, stick would have been more reasonable but at least you get extra fun challenge-wise.
Old 07-17-2013, 07:23 PM

Not sure on whether they would be in the way but I got it as long as I keep them apart or mount them 2 a modified panel attached to the front of the map light or elsewhere which is fixed 2 the inner portion of the chassis on the roof.... have even been looking into left to right overhead console type things... just take a lot of research I'm just so tired of research! lol. I've also been looking into the soft touch screen switches... I could fit 4 of them easily... but when I really would like to do is add another wireless remote and remote relay like with the rock lights for all of my roof rack lights... and of course for the air if I do manage to hard mount a compressor. Also been tinkering with putting two 5 gallon tanks where the spare tire was.... Or maybe even a larger pancake cylinder? possibly mount the compressor to the roll bar using a Smittybilt or otherwise roll bar mounting bracket.

I just did a few more posts on my thread regarding this stuff...
Old 07-18-2013, 03:55 AM
Contributing Member

So...keeping your a/c in Cali?

Research can be so boggling, but do enough of it and decisions are less often regretted, right? The amount of thought and work you put into your truck is awesome, you've surely earned every kudo on it.

Last edited by habanero; 07-18-2013 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice looking new addition to the family Hab, really good e-brake write up too.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks Avi. I'm rather fond of the little bugger puppy teeth and all.
Hopefully the e-brake write-up helps somebody but really it was pretty obvious what to do where.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 255,467 miles

Repair fan switch.
It has 4 speeds, the 1st one wasn't working. I figured it was a contact issue and decided to explore the possibility of fixing it today.

Took off the center trim. Unscrewed the 2 screws holding the climate controls in the dash. Took off the front cable control by using a screwdriver to open the center prongs that hold it in,

sliding backwards and then up.

To get it back in I will attach the cable wire first, then reverse the above.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 05:24 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

That was enough to lift the climate control up to get to the fan switch that sits on the bottom.
First unplug the switch and also pull the light socket out, it's wired to the switch.
The switch itself is held on with plastic catches it slides backwards off of. I was able to carefully maneuver it out.

Getting it back in was simple. It lines up behind the catches and slides forward until it snaps into place. Easy.
Here it is:

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:15 PM
Contributing Member

4 catches holds the switch together. I pried them carefully (think 17 year old plastic) and got to the heart of the matter.

I cleaned off the contacts and used dielectric grease to relube. Then I took the selector apart to see what's what.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 05:25 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:20 PM
Contributing Member

Here's the selector out of the box. It slides right off the post. Watch that little ball and spring, but especially the ball (see pic below). It's sneaky.

It consists of the arm, a contact pad, two tiny springs and one tiny little metal ball that you don't want to lose.

A spring sits under the contact pad. I stretched that out a little to see if that would help the contact issue and stuck it back together. Pay attention to which way the pad goes, it's specific.

Snapped it back together and plugged it in. Now I have all 4 speeds but the first one is iffy. Back to work.

Unplugged and opened the switch back up. This time I bent the selector arm the slightest bit upwards on the contact side. I didn't want to go too far with it, just enough to make up for the miniscule amount of wear on the contact points. Put it back together, plugged it in and success! I now have all 4 fan speeds consistently and my husband can find something else to point out every time he gets in the truck.

Snapped it all back together and ta-da! This time I fixed something that was a lack of noise.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 05:26 AM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:48 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Sweet! I've been looking for this kind of help and haven't seen anything like this anywhere. I don't really use the low setting (It's 91* at 11pm) but it'll be nice to have it fixed.

Top notch work. Thanks for posting such a detailed fix.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its amazing the little things that can be fixed with a little tinkering. Great job and great write up.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread