Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
96 4Runner 271,xxx miles

Chasing noises today. Found a clamp that was rattling around and greased the driveshafts and u-joints. That little bugger of a zerk that services the double cardan and sits down between one of the u-joints and ears was being a butthead. Took the zerk part of the fitting apart and cleaned it out, think I'm going to have to do the same with the bottom part when I have a little time.

Also wired the compressor to the relay thingy (scientific term) on the air tank. Done with the important stuff in the back, time to move up front and face the gauge pod music.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:18 PM
Contributing Member

So me an' Hrt4me got to chattin' about spares. Got curious again.
A comparison between a 31" (30 1/2" actual) and a 33" (32 5/16" actual) tire in the spare location on the 99. I had the same results when I tried it on the 96 awhile ago, too.

Left side:
31"

33"

Right side:
31"

33"

Plenty of room between the frame rails...
but wait....

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Tire comparison 31" vs 33" spare location

rear
31"

33"

Very close to the hitch in the 31 and up against in with the 33

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Tire comparison 31" vs 33" spare location

and the kicker
at the front:
31"

hand in there to show the space between the panhard and the spare. It's approx. an 1 3/4". You can also see the e-brake cable is a good distance away.
and
33"

I cannot winch is all the way up. It's coming in contact with the e-brake cable bracket on the rear of the diff and the panhard is blocking it from above.

Side view of the same-

So in conclusion a 33 (32 5/16") will not fit in the stock location of either the 99 or the 96.
I have heard of people fitting a 33" there. I have to wonder if they have a hitch- not having one might allow the tire to move back enough to clear-ish the panhard and diff.
I would be curious to actually crawl under a 3rd gen 4Runner with a 33" spare under there.
I didn't have time to try the 32" today. From the photos it seems like a 32" could go under- but I'm not claiming that since I haven't actually done it!

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for taking the time and making the effort for yet another informative post!

I have been out flying all day, so I did not yet get a chance to take my own measurements with aftermarket rear bumper...
Old 04-04-2015, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 271,xxx miles

Getting closer to a solution for the gauges and found a spot for the switch. Got the air line for the gauge and the power wire run up to the dash. Followed the e-locker wiring up through the left rear seat access and along the sills.

Pics when I get somewhere more solid with the dash!
Old 04-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hrt4me
Thank you for taking the time and making the effort for yet another informative post!

I have been out flying all day, so I did not yet get a chance to take my own measurements with aftermarket rear bumper...
Bet you were having a blast up there! I've often seen on various bumper maker's websites that a stock spare will fit in the stock location. You've got 33s, will be interesting to see if that would fit.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner 271,180 miles

Two wires left to go to have (hopefully) functional OBA (that is not on fire). Hopefully it's not too wet to crawl under the truck tomorrow.
After that I need to mount a couple of clips to hold the lead line and finish the gauge surround. The 4th gauge is in the center of the dash with the other 3. I think it looks okay. Some pvc pipe, metal, colorful language (red, green, PURPLE, brown, YELLOW), and a lot of trial and error and I got something kinda decent looking-ish.
Pics when I get it together. So that it happened.

Also FINALLY got a bumper ordered. Okay. 2 rear bumpers.
Seriously. Hopefully it takes less time to deal with that than the OBA.
There was a lot of cobbling with the air system...
Old 04-07-2015, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

ONE wire left- don't have the right size ring connector to fit the military terminal on the battery. Cross yer fingers- should be (hopefully) hearing it run tomorrow afternoon.
Hopefully.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It will run! You know it will. No hopefully here.....it will run!
Old 04-07-2015, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rworegon
It will run! You know it will. No hopefully here.....it will run!
Out of the truck and down the street with me chasing after it, both of us on fire!
(thanks for the vote of confidence!)
Old 04-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Contributing Member

I felt the same way, as in hopefully, when I was wiring up the battery, switch panel, and electronics on the boat........it all went without a hiccup after checking every thing twice before turning the power on.

Has the garden planting started there? I'm undecided on a garden again this year.

Last edited by rworegon; 04-07-2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

And wiring up a boat would be way more intensive than wiring up oba!

Tomatoes and peppers started in the basement about a week and a half ago. It's been another cold start for us this year so I took my time. Prolly won't even stick anything in the ground until mid-may depending on how it warms up.

Yesterday we had a ton of hail (peas and marbles) and the creek down the street flooded so bad it floated a pick-up around. Water up to the door handles on bunches of cars at the businesses and apartments along it. Worst flash flooding I've seen while living here. We, fortunately, live up a short hill and out of the mess. There was a lake in the back of the yard for a bit and my neighbor's basement door was forced open when the open drainage next to him overflowed A LOT. It was crazy amounts of water and hail.

Second hailstorm this week with potential for more today. At least we've been lucky with the size- further west there were pics of someone with some baseball sized hail and a broken car window. Yikes!
Old 04-08-2015, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

You know that feeling you get when you finish a wiring job, attach the power lead to your fancy military battery terminal, put in the fuse, and you push the switch and.....
crickets?

You know that other feeling when you mentally rewire everything and remember you still have yet to put the other fuse for the switch, do it and are instantly rewarded when you push the switch?

And how good it feels to air up both trailer tires from 15 to 50#, then air a truck tire down to 10 with your handy dandy Currie deflator just so you can air it back up again?

AND how nice the weather is currently acting as you listen to your compressor not run because it's been holding pressure for the past couple hours so far?

Pardon me while I celebrate with a Cocoa Mole beer! Cheers!
Old 04-08-2015, 04:01 PM
Contributing Member

Bravo!! You more than earned a beer or two. Glad the minor hiccup was only the second fuse. It's sweet that the pressure is holding well too.

The little fishing boat is not to bad to wire. Just a pain routing and securing 30' transducer wires in a 12' boat and dealing with multiple circuits. It's all good now.

Wow! That is some crazy weather. Here? 62 and mostly sunny.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

Storming again here.

I'm not entirely done with the gauges or cleaning up the wiring and securing the lead, but the thinkiest parts are done and it's working great.
Needs finishing....

can be seen from the rear...

don't have this completely secured yet...the yellow hose will live inside...

And the marks have to be cleaned off this and it needs to be neatened and done...

and wires need cleaning up too...

and this is the best little airing down gadget...

but I do want to get a better air chuck.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Hi Hab! Just a quick check-in. Gauges look great. It's nice that you have that project behind you before your vacay time this year.

Salmon are running and I've been fishing, not catching so far. It's still early in the spring run so the luck just may change soon. The ole Tacoma is pulling the little boat just fine. You might catch a fishy or two in the windows 45 miles west of me:

http://www.nwp.usace.army.mil/Missio...Fish/Cams.aspx

Last edited by rworegon; 04-19-2015 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Heeere fishy fishy fishy....good luck with your change of luck! Fish cam is pretty cool, okay, taunting really.

Nothing much going on here wrench-wise. Was going to change the oil yesterday but all my filters have disappeared, I need to get more. Also need to order 2 Tacoma boot kits 04438-04021 for the cvs as the ones on there are dry-rotted. Not cracked open yet, but it's in the cards. I did get a Milton S506 air chuck. Has a built-in gauge and is MUCH nicer than what came with the Viair kit. Got some couplers too so accessories can be easily changed out on the air line. You know, as accessories are acquired. None in mind yet.

The big butthead Charlie the Wonder Dog managed to get meningitis (waiting on blood work to see what kind/probable cause) so it's been way too interesting week and a half. He got to come home from the hospital Friday evening so now it's two weeks of keeping an Aussie calm and mellow while he tries to recover. Then'll be his follow-up and hopefully he'll be allowed to run around after that or both of us might implode.

Last edited by habanero; 04-19-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Poor Charlie. Is meningitis rather rare in dogs? Can't say I ever recall hearing of it before now in canines. Good luck on keeping him mellow.

Taunting is the right word for it! Check out that camera in August/September/October (depending on fall rains) when the big 30 pound plus fall Chinook are on the move. I've stopped by the viewing center and have seen those windows solid with salmon from top to bottom. I'm staying off the river today to get caught up on domestic tasks, lol...the clothes washing and house cleaning genie just never shows up 'round here.

Last edited by rworegon; 04-19-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

I'll take those domestic genies over here too, please! Lots of them!
Are there drool marks and face prints all over the windows that time of year?

I'd not heard about canine meningitis until now either, it's apparently not common, but not uncommon either. We caught it early enough that he had a possible chance of living, then a pretty good and now a very good chance. Poor guy still walks like a drunken sailor, has some jaw chattering and weird face things going on that are apparently small seizures. There is some long term care involved, but until the blood work is done and he gets better I guess we won't know what it involves. Hopefully he improves exponentially without extended care needs. Whatever happens is what we'll deal with.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread