Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 02:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
Not another long disappearing missive again, RW? Why is it the more one writes the more likely it will zap into the great unknowing?
So true! I'm slow at typing/inserting links, etc. and getting bumped out was getting frustrating. So far, the Remember Me seems to be working and no missing missives.

Looks like we may get a thunderstorm later today...99f and 26% humidity now. Enjoy the rain!

Last edited by rworegon; 08-01-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the look of....me? I'm doing what I like so I'm prolly just concentrating. It's the 'dour' German in me.
you met my family, so you know I'm essentially German as well; sprechen Sie Deutsch?

So far the Clip Sport been great. It's cute and cheap but it'll accept mini SDHC cards if I run out of room and so far it works well for me. There might be better ones and definitely nicer looking ones, but this one fits my purpose and almost my price range best. I've got a lot of my CDs in it now and am going to work on playlists this morning on the pc. My taste is eclectic though it tends to run bluesy no matter the genre:
Beethoven
Patsy Cline
Led Zeppelin
Billie Holiday
Alison Krauss
Crosby Stills and Nash
Harry Nilsson
Doc Watson
Black Sabbath
Drifters
Jim Croce
from your list, I like the ones above, but my own musical tastes are quite eclectic as well and include a variety of German pieces; might you be interested in any of those?
Old 08-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
You have good taste in music Hrt4me. I don't really know any German music beyond some classical. Always open to trying new stuff as long as it's not weird food.

Got the rack in. It's not a terrible job, but it's not the funnest one, either. Pics n stuff later.

Buttoned it up this morning and took it wheeling. Did have to get tugged up one thing and try other things several times before I made them, but had much fun and only got a little dinged up and a whole lot pinstriped. Pics n stuff later, if there's any good ones.

I'm tired, sore and sleepy. G'night, y'all.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

G' night, Hab!

Good on the rack and wheeling. But, dings? Uh, oh...comes with the wheeling, I suppose.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:06 AM
Contributing Member

Minor enough dings. Kissed a tree just a little tiny bit, then I smooched a little harder. I also rubbed up on it too. After that I let it get all up in my rack.

I loved that tree lots but it's barely kiss and tell so no worries.

Pics aren't that exciting:

Charlie came up shotgun on a difficult spot, then moved to my seat and said maybe he should do the driving if I was gonna be bouncing around like that! He's my backseat driver.

Bumped the bumper on that dang tree, put good size dent in it, tweaked the eyebrow and marker light surround so the bottom of the marker was out of bounds. Also tweaked the bumper.

And fixed it pretty well this morning

And the modified Taurus visors are working great! They stay where you put them. Up, down, in the middle.

Oh yeah, used my slider too, that also worked great!

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:29 AM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
That same tree tried to take a bite out of my car as well. But my roof rack acted like sliders and I just slid on by.

I had mine dangling tires way up in the air several times. It's always a fun feeling when the car is doing these slow lazy swings back and forth.

I got plenty of pin stripes, three decent sized gouges in the rear bumper, and broke the right rear shock.

I had to get tugged up the same waterfall. Damp limestone - the tires just weren't having any luck with that.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

Except for the little ding in the bumper corner, she fixed up real nice.
Sounds like the 99 got the worst of it for this trip.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:23 PM

Hanging some wheels
Name:  P8034194_zps8dd002ef.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  1.88 MB

I had the front wheel dangling going up something steep too, but no pics got taken of that.

The shock broke at the top - the stud was rusted nearly all the way through. Original shocks with 195K miles on them, not really a big loss.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

^^^ Looks like fun!
Old 08-05-2014, 04:08 AM
Contributing Member

What you can't see is what's just behind him...

I allllmost made it out, had to be tugged a little to make it. Worst parts were the slick limestone and the hole with large immoveable rock that you couldn't back up once you got into the hole which was where you immediately slide into going in. I'm partway up it in this pic.

I'll have to try it again sometime.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:21 AM
Contributing Member

As Paul Harvey used to say, "And, now the rest of the story."
Old 08-05-2014, 04:50 AM

Yeah, after everyone else had lots of trouble getting up that, I only tried a few times before accepting a pull from the '96. I didn't have the ride height to get a run at it at all. After my first attempt (where the rear slides over into the hole) I could only go about 1, 2, inches forward and backward. back into the rock/hole, forward until the wheels spun. I tried fast, I tried slow, just wasn't happening.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:48 PM
Contributing Member

Poking around, found more from the vacation trip that I liked. Still looks flat, thanks camera.

Moab, Fins n things- a little light in the rear...mostly a little down in the hill....

Rest of these are Elephant Hill in the Needles district of Canyonlands...

That is all.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:29 PM

Poking around, found more from the vacation trip that I liked. Still looks flat, thanks camera.

Moab, Fins n things- a little light in the rear...mostly a little down in the hill....

Rest of these are Elephant Hill in the Needles district of Canyonlands...

That is all.
nice, thanks for sharing
Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 PM

I have to get out of NY, MOAB looks amazing.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:10 AM

Definitely on my list of places to go Hoping next summer but will see how ready the Runner is by then.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks hrt4me, fletchy002, Webbuff. It was lots of fun! Definitely worth the trip even if everything starts looking orangey after a few days and you have to go up into the La Sals to literally chill. So much to drive out there (and mountain bike!), all sorts of levels of driving too.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:14 PM

Honestly, I have yet to touch the sliders on anything I've done in Colorado or Utah... Used the skids some too, but not the sliders. More than anything (so far) they protect me from door dings and give the hi-lift with slider adapter an excellent place to lift from.
so bottom line, skid plates will do me more good than sliders for the mild trails I want to run in Colorado and Utah, right?
Old 08-08-2014, 03:24 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hrt4me
so bottom line, skid plates will do me more good than sliders for the mild trails I want to run in Colorado and Utah, right?
Sounds reasonable. My rear hitch took the most hits that last vacation, followed by skids, front hitch and lastly, the one hit to the lower control arm mount. No slider hits.
Old 08-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Contributing Member

I never posted these from the 96's rack and pinion r/r...
This is simply how I did it. I am claiming the not-a-mechanic status here. YOU proceed correctly- not necessarily how I did it!
I was able to do this with the wheels still on the truck. I did lift them a little off the ground when reattaching the outer tie-rod ends to the a-arm.

Secure steering wheel. You do NOT want it to turn, you'll mess up the (I think it's called) clockspring. Move is one thing, a little moving is okay. Turning is not.

IF you have a diff drop you have to remove it. The long bolt that holds the left side of the rack (driver's) has to come out under the front diff.

Remove sway bar. The brackets have one nut and one bolt, both are undone from the topside. Illustration of what the bracket looks like. I unbolted the links at the a-arm, it doesn't matter, unbolt them however you can to get the sway bar off and out of the way.

Unbolt and use a truck tie-rod end tool to get the outer tie rod ends off the a-arm. I use the rent-a-tool at Autozone and they always say 'oh, foreign' and try to give me the smaller tool. It won't fit.

I unbolted the upper bolt that holds the rag joint to the splined shaft on the power steering side. I should have unbolted the lower bolt instead.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread