Offroad Tech Discussion pertaining to additions or questions which improve off-road ability, recovery and safety, such as suspension, body lifts, lockers etc
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

arb locker not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
arb locker not engaging

i am having trouble with my arb locker not engaging. the locker is a brand new unit. i have installed it into the housing and when i tried to bench test it the clutch gear is not throwing out. the air supply is all ok as i am using my garage compressor.i have removed the top to look at the clutch gear and all seems ok there but the piston will not move
can anyone help

mtm
Old 12-23-2007, 12:55 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know if I understand your post.

There's not really anything you can see move in the ARB (and I haven't ever been able to even hear it), you hook it up to shop air to check for leaks, then reassemble the axle. With both wheels off the ground, the tcase in neutral, and the ARB unlocked, one tire will spin opposite the other. For example, if you turn the driver's side tire clockwise, the passenger side should spin counter-clockwise (or anticlockwise for you English chaps). With the locker locked, both tires will spin the same direction.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:09 AM

About the only thing that can go wrong in there is leaking seals. If you are not losing shop air, then there is a plugged airline.

Look for a kink in the hardline from the diff to the housing. There isn't a lot of room in there, and when you tip the 3rd member into the axle housing, it is possible to smash that copper line shut.

On the bench, you should be able to hear a distinct CLINK as the locker engages. I don't really hear much when I pull the airline off. (I guess the escaping air sound is louder than the disengaging clunk.)

good luck.

Last edited by leiniesred; 12-26-2007 at 07:12 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:18 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Assuming you are using 90 PSI?

Look for any kinks or clogs in the hard copper line inside the third. Sounds like classic air clog.

If you can't find anything glaring, call up ARB, they are AMAZING when it comes to customer service.

Good luck.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking of running my ARB (which I haven't bought yet) off CO2. I contacted ARB about air pressure. Don't run too high or you will blow out the seals. This what they had to say.

"Yes you can run it on CO2. Our compressors are regulated between 70-105psi, however, with a constant pressure source I would recommend running somewhere between 90-100psi."
Old 12-27-2007, 07:15 AM

the locker is not in yet i got it all assembled on the bench and then went to try it and nothing. you can see the clutch gear inside the locker. there is no clunk from it engaging its like the piston below the clutch gear is stuck.
the locker is a new unit but i have had it in my garage a couple of years now

mtm
Old 12-27-2007, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Might want to contact the tech support folks at ARB and see what they have to say.

Also, have you tried rotating the side axle splines to get things to line up. Might be the locking teeth are just not aligned.

Last edited by 4Crawler; 12-27-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You must rotate the axle splines. There is a VERY good chance that you are simply just binding up, as 4Crawler pointed out. This happens ALL THE TIME on both of mine. I have to drive forward to both unlock and lock them.

Rotate the splines, see if it changes.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
You must rotate the axle splines. There is a VERY good chance that you are simply just binding up, as 4Crawler pointed out. This happens ALL THE TIME on both of mine. I have to drive forward to both unlock and lock them.

Rotate the splines, see if it changes.
Yup, this is one of the biggest mistakes that people make regarding ARB's, once they are installed and that is thinking that the ARB engages instantly when air is applied. That's simply not true. The axles have to rotate to "align" everything up first. Sometimes that can take longer than people think.

Fred
Old 12-28-2007, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by FredTJ
Yup, this is one of the biggest mistakes that people make regarding ARB's, once they are installed and that is thinking that the ARB engages instantly when air is applied. That's simply not true. The axles have to rotate to "align" everything up first. Sometimes that can take longer than people think.

Fred
it says nothing about that in the installation manual. it says once the locker is installed in the housing to test for leaks and the locker will engage throwing the clutch gear out

mtm
Old 12-28-2007, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by monstertruckman
it says nothing about that in the installation manual. it says once the locker is installed in the housing to test for leaks and the locker will engage throwing the clutch gear out

mtm
Haven't ever driven a vehicle with one or been out with others that have had 'em ?

Fred
Old 01-05-2008, 04:47 PM

Smile

finally got the locker working.
foung it to be the air passage hole beside the carrier bearing was blocked.just dissasembled the end of the locker and blew it out from the inside.
so now just got to put it back in axel and hit the trails.the next project for my truck is doing a link suspension for the rear.

mtm