Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
96 4Runner 272,715 miles

Finally got that nasty upper ball joint to let go of the a-arm and the spindles are at the shop waiting their turn at the press.

Replaced the sway bar link bushings with poly because the not-that-old rubber was cracking.

Rebooted the right side cv shaft.

Weirdly there are 3 ear-type clamps

and 1 Oetiker style boot clamp.

There is a special tool for that last one, but I was able to use the ear type tool for all 4, the Oetiker clamp requiring a screwdriver to push the end into place.

Hopefully the hubs get done soon and I can button it all up. I did get new upper ball joints even though the old ones were maybe 4 years old. Last time I moved the joints from the abs spindles over to the non-abs spindles. This time I've decided to only deal with the pain and suffering of installing the new and not worrying about destroying the boot with a pickle fork when removing the old. As hard as the left side was to get out I'm not sorry one bit for the extra cost.

The tool for the nut on the back of the manual hub (Alltrade 648874 1/2-Inch Square Drive 4 Pin Toyota Locknut Tool, $12.99 on Amazon), impromptu hub holding tool aka spare tire (requires people weight unless using impact), breaker bar and cheater. 203 ft lbs isn't easy to undo. I guess that's the point.

Hope y'all had a fine day too!

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As fine as a 107 deg day can cause one to be cooped up in the house. Lol
Old 06-28-2015, 03:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rworegon
as fine as a 107 deg day can cause one to be cooped up in the house. Lol
ack!!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good job as usual hab. Hope the reassembly goes smooth. I know you found the shavings but is there another reason why you're going back to the ABS spindles?
Old 06-28-2015, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jason in tn
Good job as usual hab. Hope the reassembly goes smooth. I know you found the shavings but is there another reason why you're going back to the ABS spindles?
Honestly? Nope. I've already got the problem with the speedometer fixed (and it works great, not going to change it back to ABS driven). The bearings aren't giving me any noises. I haven't missed the ABS though the hubby seems to think it'd be good to have back.
No, I just wanted to get in there and see what's going on but then I figured since it was that much work to get in there that I'd go ahead and stick the ABS back in. Kinda silly, if I stop and think too much about what I'm doing.

I would like to know how to get the nut off that holds the cute little bearing cage for the cv axle....and what tool it requires. Searching searching searching, not finding what I want to know.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by habanero
I would like to know how to get the nut off that holds the cute little bearing cage for the cv axle....and what tool it requires. Searching searching searching, not finding what I want to know.
Can you toss up a pic of said nut? Oh, the one you have the questions about. Ya know, the one on the bearing cage. :-)
Old 06-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

Can you toss up a pic of said nut? Oh, the one you have the questions about. Ya know, the one on the bearing cage. :-)
I will, when I get them back. Stuff I need to learn, would love to hear anything you (or anyone) thinks or knows.

I do have the part number for that bearing, if anybody needs it.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:29 AM
Contributing Member

Yesterday was a bit of the cheerios got peed in type. It worked out okay though. The clips I ordered for the wheel bearing came in as hub clips so re-ordered that. Went by the shop that has my spindles and he was asking me how he was supposed to press out the manual hubs without messing up the soft metal nut. I am rapidly learning but it's a case of the blind leading the blind! I gave him an easy out and said I'd take it to Toyota, he grabbed it.

So now the spindles are at Toyota. I'd already bought the parts there so they're out list price, but the labor cost should ease their woes. :eek: The clips should come in this morning and I am hoping to get the spindles back some time today.

Want. To. Get. Truck. Back. Together!

Hazy as heck all day yesterday, and a weird orange quality to the light. Apparently smoke from fires in Washington and Canada have made it down here. Hope all is well and okay for those living up where this stuff is coming from!
Old 07-01-2015, 04:41 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry to hear of the spindle and bearing woes. Better to get it pressed out without damage, hopefully, at the dealer for sure.

The Wenatchee fire destroyed around 28 homes. The smoke from it is north of us. We did have another smallish grass fire here in town yesterday. There will be more......

Everything is dried out to brown, wheat is ready to harvest, the July 4th shens, and temps in mid to upper 90s with 20+ mph wind each afternoon is a bad combination.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

Would that we could share our rain with you, rw. Wettest June, second wettest month, on record. Stay fire-free!
Old 07-01-2015, 06:38 PM
Contributing Member

We'll gladly take some of your rain right after the wheat is harvested. Our county was declared a drought area a couple of months ago.

Tonight to the south west, I see smoke rising from a small forest fire. If is in a area hard hit by lightning Monday night. There is at one least one helicopter dropping water on it from what I can see through the binocs. And, people will be stupid on the 4th causing even more fires. Not good when the temp is 104, humidity is near single digits and winds can kick up a gang time.

Did you get the spindles back?
Old 07-02-2015, 01:27 AM
Contributing Member

They tell me they should be done with them this morning....hoping the hubs weren't being troublesome....I'm ready to dig in and get this done!
Old 07-02-2015, 04:29 AM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
She's been stuck driving the '99. Which isn't as tall, or blue.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

3:00......trying to be patient......not well known for that particular quality....they're now saying end of day....

EDIT: Now they're saying tomorrow morning. They promise. Which is what they said yesterday. *sigh*

Want to get a little she-ape right now, but don't think that will help things along so am venting on a keyboard. Meh. Need another upper ball joint to knock out or something!

The 99 is fine to drive and all, but it's no 96.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

I hate it when getting strung along like that. Grr.

Never seems that your hubby needs to worry about you permanently stealing the '99.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

I hate it when getting strung along like that. Grr.

Never seems that your hubby needs to worry about you permanently stealing the '99.
Yep, and
Nope.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:12 PM
Contributing Member

How grows the garden?
Old 07-02-2015, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Sorry for the delays you are having to go thru. It does get frustrating on things like that. Sounds like the weather is different in your area. Wish it would let up here. Not as hot as you are yet but sure to get there soon.

Wife and I just got in from a resturant (mom and dad have the brats, yeah!!) and just happen to see a 99 sitting on a car lot and of course I had to look. It had the sport hood and was a two wheel drive auto. You dont see many Yotas on the car lots here. I was hoping it was the 4 wheel, standard with diff lock.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:44 AM
Contributing Member

How grows the garden?
Actually excellent. Just came in from a couple hours weeding and tying tomatoes. It's been really wet but there's also been enough sun that things are growing. Corn, tomatoes are thigh-high, peppers, okra are knee high. Green beans are making beans and so are the tomatoes. Blackberries are going to be ripe enough in a couple of weeks...
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Sorry for the delays you are having to go thru. It does get frustrating on things like that. Sounds like the weather is different in your area. Wish it would let up here. Not as hot as you are yet but sure to get there soon.

Wife and I just got in from a resturant (mom and dad have the brats, yeah!!) and just happen to see a 99 sitting on a car lot and of course I had to look. It had the sport hood and was a two wheel drive auto. You dont see many Yotas on the car lots here. I was hoping it was the 4 wheel, standard with diff lock.
I called them this morning about 8:15. He said they were working on it and I should get it back this morning. We are rapidly running out of morning hours....

Same here. I don't know why 2 wheel drives always surprise me. Are you thinking another truck or just tire kickin' for the fun of it?
Old 07-05-2015, 03:36 PM
Contributing Member

I. may. explode.

More when it's safer to type. Like Tuesday. Or Wednesday.
I am too old for this.
Everybody is too old for this.

Rant off.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread