86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

rustED's 86' V8-Runner Build-up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 06:11 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rustED
That would be cool, thanks!
I just confirmed with the wife that I need a time slot Saturday Morning for some u-pull it therapy.

I have two of my seniors coming with me. They need stuff for their vehicles as well. I think they love going there as much as I do. Haha
Old 09-05-2014, 01:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Someday when I get an acreage I'll have my own yota junkyard!!
Old 09-05-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gizler00
I just confirmed with the wife that I need a time slot Saturday Morning for some u-pull it therapy.

I have two of my seniors coming with me. They need stuff for their vehicles as well. I think they love going there as much as I do. Haha
Nice, I'm long over due for of that kind of therapy! Thats cool that you're taking along some of your students! What kind of parts are you searching for?

Last edited by rustED; 09-05-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Someday when I get an acreage I'll have my own yota junkyard!!
I hear you there, that would be sweet to have an all Yota junkyard! I probably wouldn't make any money, I'd be hoarding all the wrecks for future projects, lol!
Old 09-05-2014, 05:39 PM

I hear you there, that would be sweet to have an all Yota junkyard! I probably wouldn't make any money, I'd be hoarding all the wrecks for future projects, lol!
Yes it would. I think that there is one not far from Where Terry lives. Just some guy that has a ton of them on his property.

Ed , I am going tomorrow to see what's out there. I usually always look for afm's, TPS, thermo time switches, fuel rail dampners, etc.. Basically anything that is near impossible to get anywhere else.

I really do not new anything at the moment for my runner. Although I would like to grab some of the plastic trim pieces that snap into the front of the rear wheel arch. And I am always looking for the unicorn ( factory sunroof cover).

I will see if I can snap some pics of those jeep latches for you.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it would. I think that there is one not far from Where Terry lives. Just some guy that has a ton of them on his property.

Ed , I am going tomorrow to see what's out there. I usually always look for afm's, TPS, thermo time switches, fuel rail dampners, etc.. Basically anything that is near impossible to get anywhere else.

I really do not new anything at the moment for my runner. Although I would like to grab some of the plastic trim pieces that snap into the front of the rear wheel arch. And I am always looking for the unicorn ( factory sunroof cover).

I will see if I can snap some pics of those jeep latches for you.
Wanna hear something cool giz? I have the factory sunroof cover for mine! Bahaha!
Old 09-05-2014, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 85sr5excab
Wanna hear something cool giz? I have the factory sunroof cover for mine! Bahaha!
Oh the unicorn lives!!!!
Old 09-05-2014, 06:39 PM

No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are non existent. I have never seen one in person. I desperately yearn for one.
Old 09-05-2014, 07:13 PM

No way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are non existent. I have never seen one in person. I desperately yearn for one.
I'll post a pic on my thread tonight after work. Along with a list of factory options. My truck is pretty loaded. Sorry to clog up ur thread Ed.
Old 09-06-2014, 04:37 PM

I'll post a pic on my thread tonight after work. Along with a list of factory options. My truck is pretty loaded. Sorry to clog up ur thread Ed.

Don't worry about clogging up my thread, it's all good, I enjoy all the conversations! Man I wish my 4runner was as loaded as your truck and Marks 4runner!
Old 09-06-2014, 04:46 PM

I tried to get a little done on my trailer project today. I needed to cut some 1/4" plate steel to make a gusset for my trailer tongue. I had this scrap piece of steel plate for awhile now, looked like I might have just enough material to build a winch mount plate, so figured I'd go ahead and start cutting out the parts for one, maybe that will motivate me to build a new front bumper one of these days!

Name:  e3f6faa8-dbcc-4941-a38b-0c46397e0944_zps37d8d0d2.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  477.4 KB
^^^should have enough to make some triangle gussets and a few other parts for it. I'm pretty much just going to copy TG's winch plate.

Last edited by rustED; 09-06-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:27 PM

Awesome ED!!! I am planning on doing this also. There is a machine shop in town that is going to press the bend in the upper plate for me. I have been wanting to redo my front bumper for some time now
Old 09-06-2014, 08:53 PM

Don't worry about clogging up my thread, it's all good, I enjoy all the conversations! Man I wish my 4runner was as loaded as your truck and Marks 4runner!
It's all good. I'm jealous of your 4runner cuz u get to drive it! I'm going nuts without a truck to drive. Gonna try texting a guy on craigslist tomorrow to see if he wants to trade his zr2 for my cj5. I really need to have a running 4wd before winter. I know it's not a toyota but it will do for now.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:57 PM

I tried to get a little done on my trailer project today. I needed to cut some 1/4" plate steel to make a gusset for my trailer tongue. I had this scrap piece of steel plate for awhile now, looked like I might have just enough material to build a winch mount plate, so figured I'd go ahead and start cutting out the parts for one, maybe that will motivate me to build a new front bumper one of these days!

^^^should have enough to make some triangle gussets and a few other parts for it. I'm pretty much just going to copy TG's winch plate.

That will be sweet. I'm struggling trying to come up a design for a front bumper. I know I'm going to incorporate a receiver hitch into it and it's going to be a plate style but mounting a front bumper on these trucks is difficult with the body mounts in the way.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:13 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Ed try and post some dimensions of this plate build.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:33 PM

Question

Awesome ED!!! I am planning on doing this also. There is a machine shop in town that is going to press the bend in the upper plate for me. I have been wanting to redo my front bumper for some time now
That will be cool! Yeah I can't see spending $145 on a winch plate if you can build one yourself! That will be nice being able to have them bend the upper plate for you, wouldn't think they would charge very much.

Last edited by rustED; 09-07-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 07:49 PM

That will be cool! Yeah I can't see spending $145 on a winch plate if you can build one yourself! That will be nice being able to have them bend the upper plate for you, wouldn't think they would charge very much.
I couldn't agree more! I always try to make things myself before I buy it.

They told me 15$ to make the bend in it. I didn't think that was too bad.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:19 PM

$15 bucks isn't bad at all!

I have part of an old winch plate (basically a piece of "C" channel) I'm going to use that's already got a bend in t for that part.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:26 PM

It's all good. I'm jealous of your 4runner cuz u get to drive it! I'm going nuts without a truck to drive. Gonna try texting a guy on craigslist tomorrow to see if he wants to trade his zr2 for my cj5. I really need to have a running 4wd before winter. I know it's not a toyota but it will do for now.
Sweet! Did you make a deal on the Zr2?

That will be sweet. I'm struggling trying to come up a design for a front bumper. I know I'm going to incorporate a receiver hitch into it and it's going to be a plate style but mounting a front bumper on these trucks is difficult with the body mounts in the way.
Yeah I haven't really got to the bumper design stage yet. I know I want a plate bumper, i dionthave access to a tube bender. I really like RBX's front bumper, and I like Redeth's bumper design too! Hopefully one of these days!
Old 09-07-2014, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Teuf
Ed try and post some dimensions of this plate build.
Hi Teuf! Not a problem buddy, I'll post up the dimensions and update it as I go.

Quick Reply: rustED's 86' V8-Runner Build-up Thread