86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Redeth's 1989 4Runner Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice, glad to hear, it's nice to have the right tools from the job, I've made notes on this for a future problems.....thanks for posting....
Old 07-07-2012, 09:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wow, lot's 'o' info!

Glad to hear all that stuff that got done... Great deal, good to hear. Good to have the haynes.... But make sure you save the FSM to your phone or something, too, ya hear? haha...

Don't be afraid to ask me on bigger jobs, "can you help?".... I'll gladly help out if I'm available/able, Richard. I have all kinds of tools/equipment/compressors/cutters/grinders/drills/special bits/multi-meters/vacuum pumps and gauges, etc., etc. If I can help, I will, ok? Sounds like you're almost good to go.. but if something comes up, and you're strapped... please feel free to ask if you need help, ok? (NOT razzing the guy for charging ya.... he was very fair, NO doubt!.... Just saying, ya know?)

Whatcha doing tomorrow, man?
thanks alot Mark. I'll keep that in mind for the jobs i gotta do that i dont have tools for. As you can see being a 23year old living out on my own with g/f with my job and a huge 4runner project im sure you can see i dont have the means to buy all the tools i'd like to have lol
So that'd be really nice. And If my band practice ends up being canceled tomorrow i wouldnt mind going over to finally help you install that Stereo ive been saying if help you with.

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Nice, glad to hear, it's nice to have the right tools from the job, I've made notes on this for a future problems.....thanks for posting....
Which one of your rides has a 3.0?
Yea seriously dude learn from the past 5 pages of this thread lol. I think you outta check your vacuum lines 1st before you start buying parts like i did ha haa! Well... regardless my parts needed to be replaced anyway. Also that throttle would have been nice to check from the start lol

If by any chance you need any of those colored(blue, green,red) sensors hit me up. Last junk yard visit i went with Chefyota i grabbed another set of those. but mine are completely new.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Richard.... THANKS! I appreciated you helping me with the Amp install today, man! It felt good to have someone who does that think that I wire and connector and heat shrink like someone who isn't TOTALLY 'derrrrr'! hahaha. I think it looks clean... sounds SICK! Just need to dial it in for the preference... But over all, I LIKEY!

PS> After having quite a few differen't subs/other stuff.... I'm REALLY impressed with that JL 10" and box... and even with the Killer* Amp... Surprised how much it was capable of, standing alone, ya know?

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 07-08-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 PM

No problem bro. Glad i was able to help. Honestly ive never met anyone who was more anal about making it look clean like you. lol jk but it was your own truck and you wanna do it right the first time and trust me i would have wanted the same for my truck too so its normal. BTW doing all that extra stuff you did made the job look much cleaner and professionally done if ya know what i mean. actually looks better then what some stereo places do so congrats on that. not all stereo shops make it look that clean.

Last edited by Redeth005; 07-09-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 12:38 PM

WOOT! lol.... Glad to hear I think it's worth the extra effort on ANYTHING where it.... well, "where it counts", and second, where it's not EASY AS PIE to redo/or get back in there. Like having the adjustment in the back, messed with it a lil more today, and it has to be done while sitting in the rig... So pushing the pass seat up, dial in a lil, sit up, listen, readjust, repeat, lol... For rock, it's great to have it turned down a lil bit and the mids and bass turned up a lil on the other 4. I'm thinking of swapping it out for the 4channel, sometime in the future, because it's pretty good with it's multiple adjustments... so I think if I adjust it just right with the gain, etc., on one channel...I should be able to dial down the 4" ones a lil bit...right? As long as I can still turn off the Sub, through the deck(Love that feature), I should be fine. Even if I can't fade it, it's ok... cuz with the right high output 4" ones, I think it'll be just fine. I've even seen guys fit in those new component 4x6 ones into the dash.... You just can't bolt in the bottom bolts... THOSE would handle the power being 50/50 just fine. Maybe with these in the 4" spots?>>>>

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Infinity...708&cp=3&lp=15

Or these?>>>>

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Infinity...0708&cp=4&lp=8

WHATCHA THINK? Think the 4Channel I have would work ok with the sub on the one channel and the other 4 on the other? (with the ones I have now or maybe other ones, like this set up>>>>> )>>>>

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Infinity...0708&cp=4&lp=8

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Infinity...0708&cp=4&lp=3
Old 07-09-2012, 12:49 PM

Yea thats how i have my car set up. and it still sounds good. i do wish i was able to crank it up a bit more toward the front so im not blasting my passenger's ears out lol
Old 07-09-2012, 01:20 PM

Whatcha think of the speakers I posted in the links, Richard?
Old 07-10-2012, 09:38 AM

I hear infinity is one of the best brands out there. Those that you posted look like they'd get the job done.
The 2nd choice of those 4" look cool but i wouldnt buy the 4" speaker with a mini subwoofer; That defeats the purpose of having a sub. the way i see it is mids and highs should be dedicated to your speakers with a slight amount of low not too much because. thats what a subwoofer is for is to do all those lows and boom booms for you. The only way i'd consider any speakers with subwoofers is for like cars you cant have a subwooofer in. So i'd just stay with that 1st choice.
BTW are you gonna donate your old front 4" speakers to the "Redeth's poor Foundation" when you finally do buy them? im just sayin' lol

Yea those seem nice. my personal preference has always been PolkAudio speakers. I've had a good experience with Kicker speakers/subwoofers since my first car.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I got some catching up on your thread, but that carbon makes a mess. EGRs I think do more harm then good.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I got some catching up on your thread, but that carbon makes a mess. EGRs I think do more harm then good.
All I know is that doing all this stuff ice bumped up from 11mpg to 14. And ive driven about 165miles and the check engine light hasn't came up yet. So something we did must had been right lol. I just with i could get 19-21 mpg on this v6 like some other people do.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:25 AM

Yesterday I drained out my powersteering fluid and used the correct ATF Dexron fluid then went ahead and bled the power steering. Feels and sounds so much better. That just goes to show you dont ever listen to AutoZone employees unless you know for a fact they really know what theyre talking about. I'm just gonna always double check my haynes manual instead. Damn AutoZone guys gave me the wrong steering fluid the first time around. And I just took their word for it and went ahead and used that fluid for a good week before that "bad" noisy power steering noise began to sound when turning.

Anywho lesson learned. If it doesn't rain today over here I'm probably gonna scrape off all the black paint the previous owner spray painted on my 4 camper Windows (ghetto tint gone wrong) lol

Last edited by Redeth005; 07-13-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rebuilt motor. Your motor suppose to run 10/30 anyways. Not 10/40. Royal purple is just purple color added
Old 07-13-2012, 01:19 PM

Excellent news, Richard! Good job, man.

OH, yeah, that's really cool that the black paint was coming off without damaging the lil 'dot-screen' stuff on the back windows... I was stoked when I saw that working.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Redeth005
Did those Downey Headers make an improvement on your mpg and horsepower when you installed them??? anything noticeably different?
woops, sorry i havent responded. i didnt notice much difference and wasnt expecting any. my main reason for the headers was to get rid of the crossover pipe that creates a ton of heat on the rear of the heads that causes blown head gaskets
Old 07-15-2012, 01:35 AM

Was great getting up and out there with ya, Richard Had a good time wheelin... Hope to do it again some day soon. Tell the other half I'm sorry she didn't get to go... SUX! S'all good though... another time, for sure, eh?
Old 07-15-2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Was great getting up and out there with ya, Richard Had a good time wheelin... Hope to do it again some day soon. Tell the other half I'm sorry she didn't get to go... SUX! S'all good though... another time, for sure, eh?
Yea dude it was a fun trip. maybe we can hit that spot up another time someday before i finally get the sas done. then the real fun begins. lol

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
woops, sorry i havent responded. i didnt notice much difference and wasnt expecting any. my main reason for the headers was to get rid of the crossover pipe that creates a ton of heat on the rear of the heads that causes blown head gaskets
Yea i understand. I wish i was able to get my hands on one of those. The ones my neighbor had were for the 3.4 v6 not for our motors. I'll definitely keep looking for some though.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:05 AM

Alright guys I'm a bit late with this but i'll go ahead and post it anyway. This past saturday i went off-roading with a good buddy of mine Mark(AKA Chefyota4x4) went out to angels crest national forest in CA off the 2hwy Anyway here are some pix of this weekends trip. Some i took with the camera phone and alot of the rest i got off Chef's page. (thanks for the pix btw)

DUDE CHEF THIS PICTURE BELOW OUTTA BE YOUR DEFULT PIC! LOOKS SICK!

Old 07-16-2012, 07:08 AM

Yea This trip definitely showed me that i definitely need some major work to do on the truck. But then again i already knew i was gonna be upgrading tons of stuff on it to begin with. I guess i was just expecting too much out of it for a completely stock truck lol Its all good once i have all my future planned upgrades this thing will be a HUGE beast and will be able to crawl over way more obsticals then what it can handle now. MAN, im so looking forward to everything
Old 07-16-2012, 07:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Looks like you guys had a fun trip, so when are you going to start your sas!!!???
Old 07-16-2012, 08:00 AM

I'm hoping sometime soon. Looking to get it started within this year I hope. I got to pay off the $2000 debt I have from my engine rebuild and sensor replacements. At least pay off $1k before I start ordering all the SAS stuff. But I'm aiming at paying the whole card off so I can go ahead and buy the expensive shocks while I'm at it ya know. And locker(s)

Quick Reply: Redeth's 1989 4Runner Resurrection