84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Gizler00's 85 4Runner Build Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 05:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I finally picked up the engine (full rebuild) for my runner yesterday. Not sure on the exact year of the block but It's a laser block so its 85+. It was a 22r but I will be converting it to a 22re with all my fuel injection. I got a pretty good deal on it all. .040 over block, new pistons, rings, rod and main bearings, oil pump, itm timing kit, cam(which I'm going to sell and get an engnbldr), new head bolts, full gasket set all for 500$.

Here's a few pics
Name:  null_zps89bac6ae.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  145.8 KB

Name:  null_zpsbae275f6.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  109.9 KB

Started painting the block shorty after.
Name:  null_zpsa5234b3f.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  111.3 KB

Right now I'm going to start assembling everything in Wednesday of next week. My plan is to have everything together minus te EFi then the motor out of the runner. Send the injectors out to someone , probably rx injector, and steam clean the EFi while I'm waiting.

I also have a new flywheel and clutch that I will be installing along the way.

Right now I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to find a lower mileage trans. Mine makes some noise and I don't feel like tearing it apart. But if I can't find anything, I'm just going to throw it back in and wait till it breaks. I've had other yotas here the transmissions were way worse and had gears that were basically non existent and still drive them for months.

More pics to come.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Make sure on your new block that there is a small allen plug in the oil gallery by the main caps. If thats overlooked and not installed, youll have no oil pressure...Ive done it

Not that you wouldnt catch that yourself but just tryin to help.

Thats a hell of a deal for all of what you received for $500 i think.Good job!

As for the tranny, ive ran them with alotta noise and only had one that finally wouldnt go into 5th.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Make sure on your new block that there is a small allen plug in the oil gallery by the main caps. If thats overlooked and not installed, youll have no oil pressure...Ive done it

Not that you wouldnt catch that yourself but just tryin to help.

Thats a hell of a deal for all of what you received for $500 i think.Good job!

As for the tranny, ive ran them with alotta noise and only had one that finally wouldnt go into 5th.
Thanks for the advice Chris. I would have probably over like that Allen head. Glad you got to take a look at it and show me.

Hope you liked my runner.

I can't wait to check yours out.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got through reading your build thread, nice work on your 4runner, I like the color choice for your block, looks good! I bet your getting anxious to get the motor assembled and your runner back on the road! Look forward to seeing some more pics...

Last edited by rustED; 05-04-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
Just got through reading your build thread, nice work on your 4runner, I like the color choice for your block, looks good! I bet your getting anxious to get the motor assembled and your runner back on the road! Look forward to seeing some more pics...
Thanks for the compliments. Im really trying to make it my own. I was a little unsure on the block color, but the more I look at it the more it grows on me. I wanted something lighter so leaks and what not show up a little easier.

No doubt. I cant wait to get the engine together and toss in the runner. Im still driving it right now with the current engine. Not sure what Im going to do with that yet. I think I might do a timing kit and head gasket and bag it until something else comes along.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:39 PM

Use your old engine and build an airboat
Old 05-08-2013, 05:31 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Gizler00
Hey!! thanks for checking out my build thread. Thanks for the compliments on my rig. Im trying really hard to make it my own.

Florida huh, My wife would love to live down there!! We would live on the beach if it was up to her. haha. Ill see if the wife wants to plan some vacations around working on your rig so we can fly to Florida. haha
Not just Florida...South Florida. Tropical weather all year long, Miami Beach is prob 30 miles away, Fort Lauderdale Beach is even closer, and so many other nice beaches like Deerfield Beach. At the very least take a vacation and help me with my truck!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Not just Florida...South Florida. Tropical weather all year long, Miami Beach is prob 30 miles away, Fort Lauderdale Beach is even closer, and so many other nice beaches like Deerfield Beach. At the very least take a vacation and help me with my truck!
Hahaha. I'll try to butter the wife up. I'll tell her it will be te best beach/Yota wrenching vacation ever.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:20 AM

Not a whole lot going on here lately with the Engine or runner. I have kind of stalled out with alot of other things going on right now. I desperately want to get the engine together and also finish the sliders but cant seem to find the time.

Have to tear a 2000 dakota Dash apart to fix vacuum line the kids crushed last year for the heater controls. Let me tell you, its not fun at all!! if you ever have to do a heater core and own a Pre 2000 dakota, get a space heater for inside the cab instead. hahaha.

Also took two of my students to the State Ford/AAA Student auto skill competition in Des Moines earlier this week. We ended up with 8th out of 10th. Kind of a crappy deal because 7 of the 10 cars didnt get out of the shop before the time was up so they reverted to the schools written scores to figure out 4-10th place rather than look at who had what repairs done. All in all its always a good time to take the kids and watch them sweat it out competing against other schools in the state.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:47 AM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
That school award thing is bs now anyways. Everybody has the win or everybody looses. Sorry rant. Keep up the great work on the runner. I know what you meen on stalling out. I have my wedding reception to get the house ready for while waiting on my slave and master cylinder to arrive. Perfect time and weather to paint the truck but no time with the reception stuff going on
Old 05-09-2013, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
That school award thing is bs now anyways. Everybody has the win or everybody looses. Sorry rant. Keep up the great work on the runner. I know what you meen on stalling out. I have my wedding reception to get the house ready for while waiting on my slave and master cylinder to arrive. Perfect time and weather to paint the truck but no time with the reception stuff going on
Actually the 1st , 2nd, and 3rd places get alot of scholarship money and 1st place goes to nationals to compete against every other state. Everyone does get something fr it but the 1st place national winners get a full ride to any tech school in the nation. Plus gets their name out in the industry. It's good for the kids.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:20 PM

Received 62 Likes on 57 Posts
I didn't mean any disrespect. I was referring to the fact that even though you guys had your stuff ready in time but others didn't there was no penalty for those who couldn't finish on time. Once again I meant no disrespect. I just remember in school for project competitions if we weren't finished in time we couldn't compete maybe I am just jelouse.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by thefishguy77
I didn't mean any disrespect. I was referring to the fact that even though you guys had your stuff ready in time but others didn't there was no penalty for those who couldn't finish on time. Once again I meant no disrespect. I just remember in school for project competitions if we weren't finished in time we couldn't compete maybe I am just jelouse.
No worries. I was just clarifying how it works since I didn't really explain it before. I agree with you. I wish they would have graded it based in the repairs made with the vehicles that never made it out of the shop. But the rules state that if you dnf scoring goes to school written scores.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 PM

Hope your engine build is going well Mark! Those kids couldnt get a better auto teacher!! You got your stuff together and try your best, Keep up the good work buddy!!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Hope your engine build is going well Mark! Those kids couldnt get a better auto teacher!! You got your stuff together and try your best, Keep up the good work buddy!!
Thanks for the kind words Chris! I really appreciate it.
I hood to have the engine together this week coming.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:06 AM

More pics!! Nice day out!!Whatchya up to??
Old 05-12-2013, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
WOW!!! Just getting caught up on your thread. You have been making some great progress. Seems like the 84 and 85s threads get overlooked and that is bad on me as I have one here as well. Your runner is looking better each time. I am going to start paying more attention to what is going on over here. Great work and like what you are doing.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Terrys87
WOW!!! Just getting caught up on your thread. You have been making some great progress. Seems like the 84 and 85s threads get overlooked and that is bad on me as I have one here as well. Your runner is looking better each time. I am going to start paying more attention to what is going on over here. Great work and like what you are doing.
Thanks Terry! I appreciate the encouragement. I have been getting a little bit of work done on the engine as of Friday.

I test fitted the Crank and checked oil clearances.
Name:  null_zps1022a057.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  127.2 KB

All is good and torqued! Rotates Like butter. Me likey
Name:  null_zpsf49bcfab.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  118.0 KB

Then Decided at the end of the day to get the rings on the Pistons. Ran out of time for installing them into the block.
Name:  null_zpsc7e34fb4.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  109.4 KB

Saw this at the grocery store. It was pretty clean. Didnt get to talk to the owner though.
Name:  null_zps168455d7.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  112.6 KB

So at the moment I am going to try and get the Pistons in the block today so I can start putting together the timing kit and head on later this week. Its crazy here since the seniors graduate this Friday. So everything has to get done.

I will get more pics of my progress in the mean time.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 AM

Well Actually had some time today to get the pistons on. Took me a lieelt bit to remember the orientation for where to stagger the gaps but eventually got it squared away.

Here is a shot from the Crank side. With pistons installed
Name:  null_zps01f7be4d.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  124.0 KB

Then the Glamor shot.
Name:  null_zps1516e808.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  123.1 KB

Now I need to get my Timing kit from the house and start plugging away. Im really trying to get this thing ready by this week to pull my motor and start swapping in all the EFI components.

Im also going to try and order an Engnbldr cam. Not sure on which one I want to go with. I do drive this everyday so Im assuming that the 261 would be better suited for that. Any opinions/advice would be great.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Coming together nicely man. Really diggin' that color. You're gonna be able to tell if u have leaks easy with that color.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gizler00's 85 4Runner Build Thread