84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Gizler00's 85 4Runner Build Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 06:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just checked out your build thread man. I seriously love how you've changed that 4runner and made it your own. That EXO cage and stupid stinger definitely had to go. Only thing i think i would have done was salvaged that metal from the exo cage and shortened the length/width and height and make it into an internal cage. this way you get that OMG SEXY look with the same protection. I dunno. but definitely something i wanna do is an inside cage. i personally dont like stingers; especially when they are that big. I wish i had your welding skills. And i like how you fixed that rust problem on the inside of the truck near your clutch pedal. never would have thought about that one.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:35 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Redeth005
Just checked out your build thread man. I seriously love how you've changed that 4runner and made it your own. That EXO cage and stupid stinger definitely had to go. Only thing i think i would have done was salvaged that metal from the exo cage and shortened the length/width and height and make it into an internal cage. this way you get that OMG SEXY look with the same protection. I dunno. but definitely something i wanna do is an inside cage. i personally dont like stingers; especially when they are that big. I wish i had your welding skills. And i like how you fixed that rust problem on the inside of the truck near your clutch pedal. never would have thought about that one.

Hey thanks for the compliments. I love reading through your build thread.

I didnt even think about making an internal cage out of the exo cage. I wish I would have thought of that!! haha i have been slowly using it up for things like the sliders, and making hoops for the rear bumper.

I also really want to get an internal cage from 4x innovations. Specifically a passenger length one. I just dont feel safe putting my kids back there with only a fiberglass roof and a cheesy rollbar to protect them

I have to agree with you on the huge stinger. It was way too much. the pictures did it no justice on how huge it was. I mean so big that I could sit in it and Im 6'4" 230 lbs. haha

I really am trying to make it my own with everything that I do next. Problem is, I have so much I want to do to it and not enough time.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3.4 swap?!!
Old 04-22-2013, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
3.4 swap?!!
Man I wish I had the money for that or even a diesel swap
Old 04-22-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Hey thanks for the compliments. I love reading through your build thread.

I didnt even think about making an internal cage out of the exo cage. I wish I would have thought of that!! haha i have been slowly using it up for things like the sliders, and making hoops for the rear bumper.

I also really want to get an internal cage from 4x innovations. Specifically a passenger length one. I just dont feel safe putting my kids back there with only a fiberglass roof and a cheesy rollbar to protect them

I have to agree with you on the huge stinger. It was way too much. the pictures did it no justice on how huge it was. I mean so big that I could sit in it and Im 6'4" 230 lbs. haha

I really am trying to make it my own with everything that I do next. Problem is, I have so much I want to do to it and not enough time.
Thanks for checking up on my thread. At least you were able to make good use of that exocage for sliders and more thats good. As for your internal roll cage i can totally relate. I dont have kids but i do take my dog, or family/friends with me and i definitely want them to be safe. Also I dunno if you read Mark's(chefyota4x4) story of when he had his white 4runner(pre red 4runner) and he had gotten in a huge accident and almost died. I knew i always wanted a interior roll cage for safety but after reading his story and seeing the after pix it made me want one even more! definitely a worthy investment if you ask me. Keeping your loved ones safe is always a priority.

Man I wish I had the money for that or even a diesel swap
Totally hear ya on that one. I've seen a toyota diesel engine before on an old pick up. That is awesome. i really love that beefy sound those engines have. My friend with the white 4runner chevy axle(s) swap wants to swap out his 22re motor for the engine in his Ford Cobra. that thing is a beast as it sits already i can only imagine it with a Cobra engine under the hood LOL!
Old 04-22-2013, 03:17 PM

Thanks for checking up on my thread. At least you were able to make good use of that exocage for sliders and more thats good. As for your internal roll cage i can totally relate. I dont have kids but i do take my dog, or family/friends with me and i definitely want them to be safe. Also I dunno if you read Mark's(chefyota4x4) story of when he had his white 4runner(pre red 4runner) and he had gotten in a huge accident and almost died. I knew i always wanted a interior roll cage for safety but after reading his story and seeing the after pix it made me want one even more! definitely a worthy investment if you ask me. Keeping your loved ones safe is always a priority.

Totally hear ya on that one. I've seen a toyota diesel engine before on an old pick up. That is awesome. i really love that beefy sound those engines have. My friend with the white 4runner chevy axle(s) swap wants to swap out his 22re motor for the engine in his Ford Cobra. that thing is a beast as it sits already i can only imagine it with a Cobra engine under the hood LOL!
That engine would be totally overkill and insanity. I could see it justifiable with the chevy axles and runnin on huge tires. what would he use for a trans tcase?? I would take a turbodiesel 4cyl over a v8 any day of the week.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:53 AM

Thats crazy about Marks runner. Ill have to go back and check it out. It is scary that theres absolutely no protection in these things. One of the reasons I got rid of my 91 ex cab was because my wife worked a scene (shes a CSI for the Local PD here) that two people died in a Toyota pickup. ab crushed on them when it rolled. Sooo... she talked me into parting with it.

A Cobrajet would be nasty under the hood of a Yota. Kind of reminds me of a guy I grew up by in Pennsylvania that stuffed a 460 Big block under the hood of a 65 Mustang.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:58 AM

That engine would be totally overkill and insanity. I could see it justifiable with the chevy axles and runnin on huge tires. what would he use for a trans tcase?? I would take a turbodiesel 4cyl over a v8 any day of the week.
He yea he has those Chevy axles on 35's at the moment. But I do know he wanys to go 37's sometime in the future. I can imly imagine that cobra engine. Haha.

Also reason he wants this is cuz he constantly has to be better then his dads truck and he has a few friends in an offroad club with fixed up rigs too. hahaha.

Thats crazy about Marks runner. Ill have to go back and check it out. It is scary that theres absolutely no protection in these things. One of the reasons I got rid of my 91 ex cab was because my wife worked a scene (shes a CSI for the Local PD here) that two people died in a Toyota pickup. ab crushed on them when it rolled. Sooo... she talked me into parting with it.

A Cobrajet would be nasty under the hood of a Yota. Kind of reminds me of a guy I grew up by in Pennsylvania that stuffed a 460 Big block under the hood of a 65 Mustang.
Pennsylvania huh? What city are you from? I got a. Couple of band mates who came from Altoona Pennsylvania.
Btw your wife has an awesome job. I wanted to study for forensic pathology when I first started college. The counsler told me its about 14years worth of school and that that time I thought to myself screw that. That's way too long. Now I look back amd wish I would have done it. I would have been half way by now.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:04 PM

Have you seen Pyrojoes build with OM617 swap? He has stopped by my place and his rig is bada$$. Totally impressed with that engine and w56 plus totally mechanical fuel system.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:07 AM

He yea he has those Chevy axles on 35's at the moment. But I do know he wanys to go 37's sometime in the future. I can imly imagine that cobra engine. Haha.

Also reason he wants this is cuz he constantly has to be better then his dads truck and he has a few friends in an offroad club with fixed up rigs too. hahaha.

Pennsylvania huh? What city are you from? I got a. Couple of band mates who came from Altoona Pennsylvania.
Btw your wife has an awesome job. I wanted to study for forensic pathology when I first started college. The counsler told me its about 14years worth of school and that that time I thought to myself screw that. That's way too long. Now I look back amd wish I would have done it. I would have been half way by now.
I grew up and lived in Pittsburgh, PA for 26 years before I moved to Chicago in 2006. I miss it there so bad. So much more to do there as far as outdoors stuff goes. I grew up Riding dirtbikes, hunting, fishing, wheeling all the time. Now Im stuck here in the midwest. blah.... Its not really that bad, just miss home and all my family that still lives there. Its sucks living with no family around. My parents live in the other direction in MOAB!! My dad always gives me crap. He will call and complain about the humidity being 5% and oh how he might spend the day on the RAZR out on the trails.....

My wife worked hard to get where shes at and still not satisfied. SHe wants to be higher up. Sop after going to school for a long time, shes headed back to get a phd i think. Either way i think shes crazy, but you have to chase your dreams

Have you seen Pyrojoes build with OM617 swap? He has stopped by my place and his rig is bada$$. Totally impressed with that engine and w56 plus totally mechanical fuel system.
I have not seen that yet. I will check it out. Thats something I would love to have the money to do.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:15 AM

I grew up and lived in Pittsburgh, PA for 26 years before I moved to Chicago in 2006. I miss it there so bad. So much more to do there as far as outdoors stuff goes. I grew up Riding dirtbikes, hunting, fishing, wheeling all the time. Now Im stuck here in the midwest. blah.... Its not really that bad, just miss home and all my family that still lives there. Its sucks living with no family around. My parents live in the other direction in MOAB!! My dad always gives me crap. He will call and complain about the humidity being 5% and oh how he might spend the day on the RAZR out on the trails.....

My wife worked hard to get where shes at and still not satisfied. SHe wants to be higher up. Sop after going to school for a long time, shes headed back to get a phd i think. Either way i think shes crazy, but you have to chase your dreams

I have not seen that yet. I will check it out. Thats something I would love to have the money to do.
Dang dude. That is great. Great job to have. I can't wait to start my school up again. Its just a bummer that so many people are packed into schools now days. So much that I can't get into any classes at all. Ill apply for 24 classes within 5min of my registration time and date and I can't get into any. I'm gonna start a trade tech class to get into something I'm also interested in. Surgical Tech is an awesome job. Blood guts n broken bones pure awesomeness! Nah jk. But that is another thing I wanted to go for so I should be starting in September.

Its funny you mention that from back home. My band mates say the same thing. Theyve been out here for 5 years. They like CA but thy miss PA a lot too.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:48 AM

Hope your having a great weekend Mark!! I have the radiator to trade ya for the auto one. I would like to clean it up and paint it to make it look a little more presentable if you want?? I think you said your doing the march of dimes deal today???? Maybe i could run up there tomorrow morning?
Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 AM

Hey Chris! We had the march of dimes today and wife tells me we have plans tomorrow morning, but I think the afternoon is open.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:27 PM

You been up to anything on your runner mark?? More pics!! HAHA!
Old 04-30-2013, 05:11 AM

You been up to anything on your runner mark?? More pics!! HAHA!
HAHA I know im seriously slacking in the Pic dept.

Well as far as updates in the last few weeks. I have done the J-hook style wiper arm swap from a 93 Runner. And also scored some front shoulder belts from an Isuzu Rodeo for the rear seats on my runner. I have yet to install them, just cant find the time.

On a better note, The wife says that she will pay off the difference for my Engine this week for my birthday. So it looks like my Runners New heart will be sitting in my shop awaiting assembly. I really cant wait to get to putting it all together especially since I have been acquiring a TON of new parts for it in the last few months.

Only thing left to do is decide on what color paint to do the block and VC.

Ill get some pics up in a few days. Its been crazy here. Im getting ready to take a few of my Auto Students over to Omaha Truck Center to check it out, then to a GM dealer tomorrow. So Hopefully Ill get some cool pics from there.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:52 AM

Yea! At some great news man. Glad to hear that you're finally get the engine done. Thatll be good for a nice long while. Looking forward to the pix.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:44 PM

HAHA I know im seriously slacking in the Pic dept.

Well as far as updates in the last few weeks. I have done the J-hook style wiper arm swap from a 93 Runner. And also scored some front shoulder belts from an Isuzu Rodeo for the rear seats on my runner. I have yet to install them, just cant find the time.

On a better note, The wife says that she will pay off the difference for my Engine this week for my birthday. So it looks like my Runners New heart will be sitting in my shop awaiting assembly. I really cant wait to get to putting it all together especially since I have been acquiring a TON of new parts for it in the last few months.

Only thing left to do is decide on what color paint to do the block and VC.

Ill get some pics up in a few days. Its been crazy here. Im getting ready to take a few of my Auto Students over to Omaha Truck Center to check it out, then to a GM dealer tomorrow. So Hopefully Ill get some cool pics from there.

GM dealer??!! What about the TOYOTA dealer??!! haha jus kiddin. When i graduated tech school we got to go to the corvette plant in bowling green KY. Very cool. Only place a vettes ever been built only place a vette ever will be built. They put them through some vigorous testing (beat the hell out of them!)

As for the color of the block and VC i dunno?? I used blue cause it was the only engine paint i had and didnt want to fork out the $$ my local NAPA. I dont really care for red, black is what i painted my dd engine in my pickup, guess its up to you. Im glad your getting a new ticker for your runner (whadda nice wifey!!!) my girl just gets me clothes and axe body spray

Will the rookies at school get to install your timing chain?? haha bet not. Id be like....no touchy touchy.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:42 AM

GM dealer??!! What about the TOYOTA dealer??!! haha jus kiddin. When i graduated tech school we got to go to the corvette plant in bowling green KY. Very cool. Only place a vettes ever been built only place a vette ever will be built. They put them through some vigorous testing (beat the hell out of them!)

As for the color of the block and VC i dunno?? I used blue cause it was the only engine paint i had and didnt want to fork out the $$ my local NAPA. I dont really care for red, black is what i painted my dd engine in my pickup, guess its up to you. Im glad your getting a new ticker for your runner (whadda nice wifey!!!) my girl just gets me clothes and axe body spray

Will the rookies at school get to install your timing chain?? haha bet not. Id be like....no touchy touchy.
That sounds like an cool place to visit. I wold love to see them beating the snot out of Vettes.

I was thinking either blue or green on the Block. Not that they are my favorite colors, but its definitely easier to see leaks with a lighter color. I have some of this Gun metal Gray that I was thinking about spraying on the VC.

NOOOOOO kids are touching my engine. Ill be doing this on my own. They can watch and hand me tools but very much...no touchy touchy.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Gizler - thought I would check out your thread since you've posted several times in mine now. I did not realize you were an Auto Tech teacher, that's awesome. I think it should be required classes for kids these days to actually learn something useful. You've done some great things on your truck and just make it all look so easy. Since I don't have your skills and you seem like you might want to move, why don't you and your wife consider moving down here to South Florida? I could use a buddy like you, and I'm sure you guys would love the weather, just sayin think about it.

Last edited by coryc85; 05-01-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Gizler - thought I would check out your thread since you've posted several times in mine now. I did not realize you were an Auto Tech teacher, that's awesome. I think it should be required classes for kids these days to actually learn something useful. You've done some great things on your truck and just make it all look so easy. Since I don't have your skills and you seem like you might want to move, why don't you and your wife consider moving down here to South Florida? I could use a buddy like you, and I'm sure you guys would love the weather, just sayin think about it.
Hey!! thanks for checking out my build thread. Thanks for the compliments on my rig. Im trying really hard to make it my own.

Florida huh, My wife would love to live down there!! We would live on the beach if it was up to her. haha. Ill see if the wife wants to plan some vacations around working on your rig so we can fly to Florida. haha

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gizler00's 85 4Runner Build Thread