Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

cheap DD turned rest

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 02:22 AM

Received 331 Likes on 246 Posts
A lot of photos, a lot of info. Thank you for the update!
Old 01-22-2019, 05:45 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
NIce work!!! Beautiful rig!
Old 01-22-2019, 07:44 AM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
Is that the Harbor Freight transmission jack under the tcase and tranny in the last picture (the one with the bike)? If so, how do you like it? I considered buying one of those, but wasn't sure the quality was up to what I wanted to live with.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:03 AM

Received 452 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by RJR
Is that the Harbor Freight transmission jack under the tcase and tranny in the last picture (the one with the bike)? If so, how do you like it? I considered buying one of those, but wasn't sure the quality was up to what I wanted to live with.
yes indeed. it did the trick. I did the job by myself, had to give it the old 1,2 wobble and curse technique. im not looking forward to the install that's for sure. to make things easier id recommend one with a pivot axis on it, which is available at HB for like another 50 bucks. USE THE STRAP. I got mine a few inches down and it started to roll on me so there I was, on my back, transmission in one hand an the jack in my other, was not my best moment.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:30 AM

Received 822 Likes on 649 Posts
Originally Posted by keycw
.. USE THE STRAP. I got mine a few inches down and it started to roll on me so there I was, on my back, transmission in one hand an the jack in my other, was not my best moment.
Wise advice, indeed.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:06 PM
RJR

Received 109 Likes on 81 Posts
I just finished swapping my chain drive transfer case for a dual case setup. I didn't need to pull the tranny, but the dual cases were fairly heavy, so I wanted to be safe and secure. I couldn't convince myself that the HF jack met my conservative standards, so I wound up renting a jack from a local tool rental place. It was a heavy duty professional model that could have lifted a truck transmission, so it handled the tcases with ease. Every control, as well as the wheels and swivels, was smooth as butter. Made the job really easy. But, I did indeed strap things down tight before I started lowering or lifting!
Old 01-22-2019, 05:43 PM

New old parts

i got some doodads from the Lakeland Toyota overstock today. I was missing the lower half of the front cardan joint dust shield and they had one in stock, also got all the rear lug studs. Here’s the part numbers.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:28 PM

steering wheel emblem

i still have about a month before my transmission arrives from Marlin so ive been doing little things to pass the time. i spent some time scrolling through drawings on the toyota overstock page and ordered some trinkets, incliuding a new steering wheel emblem, front bumper endcap bolt hole covers, the fuel door decal, a washer bottle caps, and the wheel cap tool which was missing from my tool kit. also got a new mount for tcase.

old decal was peeling and grungy.

heres the new decal with a part number for yall

cubby cleaned up and new decal

the part number for these little plugs is 552127-89101

installed

new emblem with part number

installed

the bottle is no longer available or i would have purchased the whole thing. i settled for a cap.

old tcase mount, had a crack in the rubber

now mount on. not an expensive one but i didnt need anything other than oem design

my front drive shaft was missing the bottom half of the cardan dust cover, i was able to locate a new oem new. i painted the old upper cover to get her nice again.

some spare metric bolts from the coffee can and bam, no dust shield.
The following users liked this post:
SomedayJ (02-12-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 07:25 PM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
Very Nice!

Lots of OEM goodness there!

I am surprised the steering wheel emblem was still available. That is pretty neat!

Old 02-04-2019, 10:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by keycw
yes indeed. it did the trick. I did the job by myself, had to give it the old 1,2 wobble and curse technique. im not looking forward to the install that's for sure. to make things easier id recommend one with a pivot axis on it, which is available at HB for like another 50 bucks. USE THE STRAP. I got mine a few inches down and it started to roll on me so there I was, on my back, transmission in one hand an the jack in my other, was not my best moment.
For what it's worth, I have the +$50 Harbor Freight jack with the pivoting tray and it still takes a certain special jiggle to get that transmission to slide into place. ...has to be lined up juuuuust right!

+1 on USE THE STRAP, I had the same thing happen, fortunately it's a pretty light transmission, relatively
Old 02-19-2019, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keycw, thank you for this awesome build thread I recently purchased a 1987 4Runner SR5 for a DD/Restore to save the mileage on my 16 Tacoma TRD OR as well. I do appreciate all the detailed info because now it gives me a starting point on what I need to fix on my 4runner.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:03 AM

That is a good looking 4Runner, TacoPool!

TacoPool (02-19-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by TacoPool
Keycw, thank you for this awesome build thread I recently purchased a 1987 4Runner SR5 for a DD/Restore to save the mileage on my 16 Tacoma TRD OR as well. I do appreciate all the detailed info because now it gives me a starting point on what I need to fix on my 4runner.
doesn't look like you have much to do! thing is mint man. great looking truck, its been well taken care of.
TacoPool (02-21-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 12:47 PM

Received 409 Likes on 263 Posts
Excellent job !
Old 02-21-2019, 08:13 AM

Received 147 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoPool
Originally Posted by old87yota
That is a good looking 4Runner, TacoPool!

Right?!?!? That thing is gorgeous! If you want one to work on you can borrow mine and I'll drive that lol
TacoPool (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 11:26 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by jakey poo
Right?!?!? That thing is gorgeous! If you want one to work on you can borrow mine and I'll drive that lol
LOL! Second that! Love the ARB plate bumper. Clean.
TacoPool (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate it guys. I didn’t mean to steal the show. My gratitude goes to the third owner he’s the one who resurrected it from its slumber and slapped that arb bull bar on. Haha From what I was told the original owner bought it brand new and he passed away in 1994. The family kept this 4Runner in a barn until 2001 when “uncle” fixed it moderately ran it for a few years then it sat again from 2009 to 2016 when the third owner bought it. Checked the car fax and the story checked out so gave that man my money. Haha It needs some TLC for sure like bushings and some tuning on the engine, but overall it runs and the body is perfect. I got a few spots of rust around the gas cap but luckily it’s just surface rust. I plan to restore it factory but I’m keeping that gorgeous bumper. Lol Keycw keep up the good work!
Old 02-25-2019, 07:45 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
You both done good.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:11 AM

transmission install

my marlin rebuild came in on Friday. got around to getting it in last night. stupid me didn't think about removing the bellhousing from my old w56 before the rebuild came in, so if you plan to order one don't forget to pull the tcase, bellhousing, and the sensor. the shifter comes with the base plate, although I think its much easier to unbolt the whole thing. I pressure washed the hell out of the bellhousing and bolted it up. I know some people like it and some are strongly against it, but I dabbed some locktite on the bellhousing bolts for reassembly because there was some one there when I took it apart. marlin puts plastic plugs in the sensor hole and input hole. pry them out and thread the sensor in place, snug down. I used a small ford wrench. I ordered a new bearing cup and clips, the clutch kit came with the throwout. use oem parts, I ordered from lakeland. dab some grease on the ball before putting the fork on it, simply put a little pressure on the fork against the ball and it will clip on. put the dust cover in place. I found it way easier to get the transmission on without the tcase. got all the bolts in, then used the jack to raise the tcase (with crossmember) into place and put the 4 bolts for the cross member in. two plugs, 4 tcase bolts, we are rockin! I got the rear shaft on and called it quits for the night. I didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked but it was dark and I was in a hurry. more pics tonight.

Last edited by keycw; 03-12-2019 at 05:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by keycw:
RAD4Runner (03-12-2019), SomedayJ (03-12-2019)
Old 03-12-2019, 08:53 AM

Nice shiny new transmission!

keycw (03-13-2019)

Quick Reply: cheap DD turned rest