Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

cheap DD turned rest

Old 05-01-2018, 03:22 AM

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by SomedayJ View Post
I cringe every time I see a clean rear bumper, you can bend them with your bare hands, it's so weak, Toyota made them with tin cans, a little bump from the car behind you and bye bye bumper.
Nice paint job, the stripes look good, and the black rims also, underneath very clean. No more windshield trims, better IMO.
A lot of progress, you have a nice truck!

your not wrong about the factory rear bumper, same is true about the front honestly. Thanks for praise.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:10 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Whenever you can, please upload a couple of photos of the windshield rubber gasket, I'd like to see the upper and lower corner if that's possible.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:51 AM

Whenever you can, please upload a couple of photos of the windshield rubber gasket, I'd like to see the upper and lower corner if that's possible.
i sure can. If your wondering about the creases where the rubber makes the turn, theres nothing on the bottom but if you are looking for it, its mildly noticable at the top. Most people dont notice until i point it out. Ill grab pics later today.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:56 AM

I cringe every time I see a clean rear bumper, you can bend them with your bare hands, it's so weak, Toyota made them with tin cans, a little bump from the car behind you and bye bye bumper.
Nice paint job, the stripes look good, and the black rims also, underneath very clean. No more windshield trims, better IMO. You painted the mudflap words also.
A lot of progress, you have a nice truck!
and yes i did “restore” the mudflaps. I used a flexible bumper/fender liner type spray and then lightly rolled the letters with white paint on a foam roller.

The following users liked this post:
TacoPool (02-19-2019)
Old 05-02-2018, 02:06 AM

Forgot i had a few pictures from swapping my diffs. I was looking through CL and came across a pair of oem 4.88 v6 2nd gen diffs and i already knew i wanted 33’s so i grabbed them. Removed the old 4.10’s easy enough, put not seals in the 4.88’s and decided to put new cv axles in while i had her apart. I used napa shafts.

SomedayJ (02-12-2019)
Old 05-04-2018, 04:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could someone please enlighten me, or post a link to what the "windshield mod" is? It appears that it may be removing the original trim pieces and just using a rubber strip to seal the windshield in the frame. Is that pretty much it?
Old 05-04-2018, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by rickc5 View Post
Could someone please enlighten me, or post a link to what the "windshield mod" is? It appears that it may be removing the original trim pieces and just using a rubber strip to seal the windshield in the frame. Is that pretty much it?
i wouldnt really consider it a “mod” but yeah. The chrome pieces are rust magnets and trap water/dirt underneath. They also bend easy. I had a new windshield installed with the rubber gasket for under 250 bucks labor included.
TacoPool (02-19-2019)
Old 05-06-2018, 10:10 PM

Thank you for upload photos of the products you use in every step, very useful thread.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:16 PM

new tires

since i decided to go with a slightly higher than factory suspension, i upgraded to some 33x10.50 intercos. i also put a new odyssey battery in today, and some random doodads from 22re performance including a dipstick, some vacuum tubing, air intake rubber, and replacement skidplate hardware. i have racked my brain deciding on front shocks, i know im not the only one. the its like you either go with factory hight or 6 inch lift shocks. after considerable measuring and forum reason, and measuring.. i have ordered the bilstein 5100s that are advertised as a 4 inch lift shock. i believe they will fit fine, even with 2-3 inches of lift. remember this is more of a show truck than a trail truck so bottoming out suspension travel isnt an issue.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:20 AM

I like those tires.
The rear wheels plastic trim is painted the same color as the body in some models with light color paint, do you prefer them black? (see photo)
Do you have the windshield gasket part number?
Looking forward to see those shocks installed.
Attached Thumbnails cheap DD turned rest-20180511_101839.jpg  
Old 05-11-2018, 02:10 AM

I like those tires.
The rear wheels plastic trim is painted the same color as the body in some models with light color paint, do you prefer them black? (see photo)
Do you have the windshield gasket part number?
Looking forward to see those shocks installed.
my plastics were color matched to the truck when i bought it. They are blacj because of my mistake (i removed them for painting and didnt take them with me to the paint booth) so i went with black and i like it. I do not have a p/n for the gasket, this is a common alternative and i think any reputable glass shop will know about it. It is 1.25” wide.
Old 05-11-2018, 02:13 AM

here are the photos you requested.

SomedayJ (02-12-2019)
Old 05-16-2018, 05:51 PM

Softtopper install

spent about two hours putting my new softtopper on today. Install is a breeze, good instructions with pictures, no issues with missing hardware or parts.

SomedayJ (02-12-2019)
Old 05-16-2018, 07:43 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Looks terrible! I think you should probably just take it off and I'll dispose of it for you
Old 05-16-2018, 09:13 PM

The windshield gasket looks good.
So the tail gate velcro's to hold the back part of the soft top.
Did you build a hoist for the hard top?
Your truck looks better than the day it rolled off the assembly line.

Last edited by SomedayJ; 05-16-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:43 AM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Love it, boy your truck is a gem. I'm happy with my Softopper. The hard top has never been back on, and now I've even removed the guts from the tailgate, so the window,motor,regulator are gone and that means hard top probably won't ever be going back on. On the highway, the windows do tend to suck inwards a bit, and my windows have some scratches from hitting rollbar and who knows what else ( I got tinted and maybe that's worse)...but overall love the top. Sides rolled up is generally how I leave it 90% of the time.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by jakey poo View Post
Looks terrible! I think you should probably just take it off and I'll dispose of it for you

free to good home - 1 old yoter
Old 05-17-2018, 05:48 AM

The windshield gasket looks good.
So the tail gate velcro's to hold the back part of the soft top.
Did you build a hoist for the hard top?
Your truck looks better than the day it rolled off the assembly line.
no hoist, i just have it on the floor in my garage for the moment. I ditched the velcro almost immediatly. Its not needed imho
Old 05-17-2018, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85 View Post
Love it, boy your truck is a gem. I'm happy with my Softopper. The hard top has never been back on, and now I've even removed the guts from the tailgate, so the window,motor,regulator are gone and that means hard top probably won't ever be going back on. On the highway, the windows do tend to suck inwards a bit, and my windows have some scratches from hitting rollbar and who knows what else ( I got tinted and maybe that's worse)...but overall love the top. Sides rolled up is generally how I leave it 90% of the time.
thats good to hear. I had my reservations about keeping rain out but so far it looks great.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:13 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by keycw View Post

free to good home - 1 old yoter
Just looking for its forever home lol

Originally Posted by keycw View Post
I ditched the velcro almost immediatly. Its not needed imho
When I saw those I first cringed at the thought of putting anything with adhesive on the paint. Then I got to thinking that you could stick the velcro onto some magnetic strips, that way the flap was still held in place. Just a thought I had.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cheap DD turned rest

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: