Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cool pics
Old 03-11-2014, 12:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by hrt4me
my rear window switch is in the dash...
In your 96? Cool. Do you have any pics (curiosity)? My window switch is in the center console, behind the brake lever.

Basically, on the 99 there are 4 places to plug in to, but only 3 plugs in our case. The dummy plug is oddly nearly directly behind the clock and the plug for the clock is off to the side. If you have it and a clock that doesn't work that's the first thing to check, sometimes the clock's power gets plugged into the dummy.

Originally Posted by shar
cool pics
Thanks shar, glad you enjoyed.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by habanero
In your 96? Cool. Do you have any pics (curiosity)? My window switch is in the center console, behind the brake lever.
I was just having a little fun [although I forgot to post the smilie... ] and wanted to see whether you'd figure out what I had done... my '96 SR5 rear window switch was originally in the center console, just as yours, but I upgraded to the newer '99 center console (so now I have 6 total cup holders) and had to relocate the corresponding switch to my dash, albeit on the left side of the steering column adjacent to the RR Diff Lock button. And because I have yet to compile my own build thread, that was not readily apparent, although I did post about that one particular modification a year ago...

Center Console Swap/Cupholder Mod - Plug-n-Play

Last edited by hrt4me; 03-11-2014 at 03:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

Hahaha, I was scratching my head furiously at that one.

I figured it was either left of the steering wheel or you'd done something with a 99 center dash thingy. I didn't know you'd done the 99 center console swap. Wow. Actual cup holders. A better compartment. How ever can you live with yourself?
Old 03-11-2014, 09:06 PM

Hahaha, I was scratching my head furiously at that one.

I figured it was either left of the steering wheel or you'd done something with a 99 center dash thingy. I didn't know you'd done the 99 center console swap. Wow. Actual cup holders. A better compartment. How ever can you live with yourself?
just wait till I actually get around to finally installing my '99 overhead console swap with the Subaru gauge pack/FMU...!

BTW, does your own '96 SR5 have keyless entry with key fob remote?
alarm system?
fog lights?
Old 03-12-2014, 03:10 AM
Contributing Member

hrt4me-
Didn't the Surf or something come with an overhead field monitor? Would definitely like to see pics of your eventual set-up.

I have a non-working key fob that came with the truck, but have never bothered with it.
It came with an alarm system.
Negative on the fog lights.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:17 AM

hrt4me-
Didn't the Surf or something come with an overhead field monitor? Would definitely like to see pics of your eventual set-up.
you are correct, the Hilux Surf came with a Field Monitor Unit (FMU), although I don't know whether that was standard or optional

the Subaru gauge pack/FMU is virtually identical, except it is much easier to find (and hence, cheaper), and its units (°F) are standard imperial rather than the metric units of the Hilux Surf FMU (°C)

I have a non-working key fob that came with the truck, but have never bothered with it.
It came with an alarm system.
Negative on the fog lights.
unfortunately, my own '96 SR5 has none of those, so I am going to have to add them myself...

it seems many 4Runners come pre-wired for the missing fog lights, but I don't think ours do...
Old 03-12-2014, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

you are correct, the Hilux Surf came with a Field Monitor Unit (FMU), although I don't know whether that was standard or optional

the Subaru gauge pack/FMU is virtually identical, except it is much easier to find (and hence, cheaper), and its units (°F) are standard imperial rather than the metric units of the Hilux Surf FMU (°C)
If I ever grow a bank account I will be keeping your research in mind. Nice!

unfortunately, my own '96 SR5 has none of those, so I am going to have to add them myself...

it seems many 4Runners come pre-wired for the missing fog lights, but I don't think ours do...
I haven't seen any pigtails for them on mine, but haven't done any serious looking into it, either. The 99 has them, think the hubby would notice........?
Old 03-12-2014, 09:17 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Just been catching up on your thread and getting ideas for things I need to do to my 3rd Gen. I will eventually start a thread on it later this summer. I want to finish up a few things before getting into it.

I was thru Weldon Springs this past weekend and they had a cyclist meeting up there. I scanned the parking lot for a certain blue or green 3rd gen runner but couldnt see to much from the road. There was a lot of people there. Always enjoy going thru your thread.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:12 PM
Contributing Member

Would have loved to say hi Terry! I had a kid thing all day Saturday and mess around with both 4Runners day Sunday. We did ride in St. Charles yesterday. I am incredibly out of shape this year, unless you count shapeless as a shape. Were you doing anything fun up in almost my neck of the woods?

Also- very much looking forward to your build thread!
Old 03-12-2014, 03:27 PM

I haven't seen any pigtails for them on mine, but haven't done any serious looking into it, either. The 99 has them, think the hubby would notice........?
Would it be asking too much for you to post photos of those on your husband's '99, and/or whether your '96 has those same corresponding pigtails...? That would at least give me a reference and place to look for them on my own '96... but I doubt our '96 SR5s came with them, and it may be moot anyway because if I do install the PIAA 510 4" fogs in my SW front bumper, then PIAAs usually come with complete wiring harness, relay and switch anyway (although I would like to use the oem turn signal stalk as a switch instead)...
Old 03-12-2014, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

Would it be asking too much for you to post photos of those on your husband's '99, and/or whether your '96 has those same corresponding pigtails...? That would at least give me a reference and place to look for them on my own '96... but I doubt our '96 SR5s came with them, and it may be moot anyway because if I do install the PIAA 510 4" fogs in my SW front bumper, then PIAAs usually come with complete wiring harness, relay and switch anyway (although I would like to use the oem turn signal stalk as a switch instead)...
The 96 does not. I've got a couple of pics of both that I'll put here after I finish reading to the kid and throw him into bed- bedtime's at 8.

Okay, pics:

A boring pic of the wires from the turn signal heading up into the engine compartment. That's looking up to the underside of the headlight assembly. No sign of a pigtail anywhere:

And the 99's fog light and turn signal:

Both head into here:

And another pic of where the turn signal and fog light wiring joins other wiring:

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I am in a guard unit at Jefferson Barracks. Our motor pool is in Weldon Springs just past the place where all of the bicyclist was at. I had to drop off a truck there and get back to Ft. Wood after that. I was only there for a short time.

Was hubby going west bound on 44 in the evening hours on Friday somewhere between 5 and 7 pm? I seen a green runner with a hood scoop in the westbound lane and I was in the eastbound lane. You really dont see many trucks like his. If it was a more common truck, chances would be more rare. Never know it could of been him.

Mightymouses truck stands out and I can say I have seen his white truck for a spit second. We were doing about 75 miles an hour each in oppisite directions.lol That was a few months ago.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I am in a guard unit at Jefferson Barracks. Our motor pool is in Weldon Springs just past the place where all of the bicyclist was at. I had to drop off a truck there and get back to Ft. Wood after that. I was only there for a short time.

Was hubby going west bound on 44 in the evening hours on Friday somewhere between 5 and 7 pm? I seen a green runner with a hood scoop in the westbound lane and I was in the eastbound lane. You really dont see many trucks like his. If it was a more common truck, chances would be more rare. Never know it could of been him.

Mightymouses truck stands out and I can say I have seen his white truck for a spit second. We were doing about 75 miles an hour each in oppisite directions.lol That was a few months ago.
Everything about Mightymouse goes about 75 miles an hour- or faster. I kinda like that about him (just don't make me keep up, Mr. Mouse!).

Ah, a group over at the Mound, gotcha. I do sometimes park there and ride over to and around Lost Valley. That was a gravel group ride as the trails were too wet to ride this weekend. I don't do as many group rides as I used to, that tandem makes me one slow cookie. Okay, really I make me one slow cookie!
I used to ride at Jefferson Barracks park all the time, but that was 15 and more years ago, back when I lived in Affton and I could zip down, around and around a bunch and back home when the trails were too wet to ride. Boy has my life changed!

It could've been the hubby. We're both on 44 pretty often, though usually more on the weekends. We've seen highlanders around now and again, like you say, not many. One big difference is the side marker lights the 99 has. That would be extremely hard to spot from what your vantage point was.

If you do see me around I'll be hoping you have a yota with you so I can get my fix.

Last edited by habanero; 03-13-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's up, Hab? It's spring on the calendar.....so, time to start thinking garden season.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Hi rw!
The tomatoes and peppers are in the basement growing. I think it'll be almost May before I put anything in the ground this year. I didn't start the plants til just before last week. This spring has been too cold!

Did a little cold weather backpacking last week-

First it rained, then it iced and then it snowed.

We actually only spent a couple of nights on the snow, the mornings were cold (17-30 degrees) but the days were pleasant and the snow melted pretty quickly.

And we got to see grandpa's Alice G

Plus a trail build day. 8 days in a tent. It's a good (albeit stinky) life.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

The old G is way cool! There are a couple around where my parents live that are still used by commercial farms.

Hey, wasn't it like just yesterday that boy-o of yours was on the back of the tandem just along for the ride? Now, toting a pack nearly as big as he is....time flies. My oldest niece of my youngest sister got her driver's license today. I feel old.

I'm thinking late April/early May for my garden too. No big overseas trip planned for this year, so I'll try to do a decent garden.
Old 03-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

Well, maybe you won't get the flu then, eh?

Yeah, he's still on the tandem but he adds enough oomph we can drop roadies. Okay, slow roadies. Really slow roadies.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner, 261,xxx miles

Okay, I'm supposed to ask what color should I paint my axles.
I'm thinking.....black.

Also gonna throw some junkyard rear seat belts in today, and a
cargo light cover to replace mine that has a nasty scratch.
Might try to fix the broken spring post on the 'new' in-dash cupholder too.
Three 3rd gens 4Runners and a Taco in the junkyard, all pretty well picked.

It's supposed to be nice today, but it's in the 20's right now. Has anybody seen spring? Somebody stole it and we want it back.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:49 AM
Contributing Member

Second vote for the black paint. For me, black is what just goes on axles.

37 here this am, mid 50s later. Headed to the mountains today where it is snowing.

Last edited by rworegon; 03-30-2014 at 05:50 AM.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread