Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Still got ping. Traded the moo box out for the canister in the 99 to follow up on Chef's thought. It doesn't moo any more but no improvement otherwise and I kinda miss freaking people out. Better get that back in the 99 before somebody notices...
and I'm still wondering if it's normal for strong gas smell coming from the canister when navigating sharp downhills, nose down. Don't see gas but sure smell it and the thing buzzes like an angry bee until you relieve the pressure via line or gas cap.

Premium gas seems to have improved the ping issue some. Have so far not found a vacuum leak.

Pulled the plugs just to see what's there and while there are more deposits on them everything looks pretty good to me. Chime in here if you see something...

Versus the plugs that came out of it approximately 12,000 miles ago, with something like 50,000 more miles than the above plugs....

And not related but because I was curious we did a compression test. The difference between the cylinders was pretty minimal. Nothing freaky.

So. Back to ping. Knock sensor or its wiring? Do I really really really have to pull the intake to test? When does the knock sensor do its thing? Before or after a certain rpm? I guess I should also check the coolant temp sensor. Time to learn something new.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi Hab. Yes, to test the knock sensors the whole plenum has to come off. The are supposed to toss a CEL if they are wonky.

There are some charcoal canister testing procedures in the FSM. IIRC, the canister is supposed to release fuel vapors back to the gas tank under certain conditions. Since you smell gas up there it seems the vapors are not being released to the tank, but through something that is cracked/leaking...a hose, the canister, or an attached part. Hmmmm....

The plugs you pulled seem to be blacker. Is that soot/oil on them as they look a little darker?
http://www.aa1car.com/library/reading_spark_plugs.jpg
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_su...qs/faqread.asp

Last edited by rworegon; 07-27-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

The upstream O2 sensor getting lazy? How many miles on it? The paper '95 Tacoma 5vz-fe FSM has them on a 80K mile replacement schedule for what its worth.
http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/4Runner/tech/O2_Sensor/

I saw one thread that indicated a sticking IACV on the throttle bottle may have contributed to ping. PCV valve good?

Have you considered doing a Seafoam treatment through the intake and some through the gas tank?

Check out the Oregon rattlesnakes pics...reminded me of your snake encounter a few of months ago:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116.../index447.html

Last edited by rworegon; 07-29-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Contributing Member

I cleaned the IAC awhile ago but it's not hard to do so I'll have to check it.
PCV and grommet is new and the ball is free and good.
The O2 is maintenance at this point, it has 125,000 miles on it. I know they don't always throw codes before they affect things. I'll get back to you on that one.

Yikes! Rattlesnakes!

Did a run with some MO dudes and their dudettes today. Though I broke my Wilson Flex antenna off it was all good. Guess the large tree branch falling on it was a bit much.
Mr. Mouse made an appearance but we didn't get a chance to wheel together. Truck ran well and no ping with the 93 octane we can get out of town and cooler weather too. A fine camping/hiking/trail maintaining/wheeling weekend. Hope you all had fun, too.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Contributing Member

Staying tuned in!
Old 07-29-2012, 07:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
I cleaned the IAC awhile ago but it's not hard to do so I'll have to check it.
PCV and grommet is new and the ball is free and good.
The O2 is maintenance at this point, it has 125,000 miles on it. I know they don't always throw codes before they affect things. I'll get back to you on that one.

Yikes! Rattlesnakes!

Did a run with some MO dudes and their dudettes today. Though I broke my Wilson Flex antenna off it was all good. Guess the large tree branch falling on it was a bit much.
Mr. Mouse made an appearance but we didn't get a chance to wheel together. Truck ran well and no ping with the 93 octane we can get out of town and cooler weather too. A fine camping/hiking/trail maintaining/wheeling weekend. Hope you all had fun, too.
Hab, it was really good to see you and the hubby out on the trail with those guys. My friend and i were bombing the park and had little time to get in as much wheeling as possible due to a hectic schedule. I found some gnarley stuff there suprisingly enough and had a good time. There are some fun trails there and even some stuff that denied me today. I need more lift, bigger tires and this and this and this you get the point. The fall crawl is right around the corner in the last week in september. I'll fill you in on the details hope you can make it out to the event this year.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like FUN, Hab! Sorry bout the ping... you'll find it, no doubt (Hopefully without pulling the plenum )

Wow, the famous Mouse showed up, eh? SUP AARON? Did ya take the 84?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:17 PM

Think I accidentally just unscribededed.... just making sure. STUPID MOUSE! NO, not you, Aaron! hahahahaa... I'm waiting to click on USER CP, wait and wait and wait, just so it doesn't bounce on me, ya know? Move the mouse up to it... THEN POOF, right as I click USER CP it slides up and lands right on SOME THREAD .... NEXT THING I SEE IS "YOU ARE NOW UNSUBSCRIBED" GRRR! Guess I'll watch new posts link for a bit and see which one pops up there and not in the CP.

Sorry, tangent over......
Old 07-29-2012, 08:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Sounds like FUN, Hab! Sorry bout the ping... you'll find it, no doubt (Hopefully without pulling the plenum )

Wow, the famous Mouse showed up, eh? SUP AARON? Did ya take the 84?
Chef the 84 has been around and wheeled hard man. The wife and i just got back from colorado and when i get some free time i'll post up a trip report thread from the toyota jamboree all the way to grand junction colorado and back to st louis all in a 1984 toyota pickup. The trip was awesome and i can't wait to post some pics and the story to boot.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by mightymouse
Chef the 84 has been around and wheeled hard man. The wife and i just got back from colorado and when i get some free time i'll post up a trip report thread from the toyota jamboree all the way to grand junction colorado and back to st louis all in a 1984 toyota pickup. The trip was awesome and i can't wait to post some pics and the story to boot.
Oh wow! I can't wait to see that, man HURRY UP! hahaha.... jk, take your time
Old 07-30-2012, 04:14 AM
Contributing Member

Mightymouse! He's not joking! Hurry up! You know, when you get a chance....
If you could just drive up anything you wanted wheeling would get boring.

Darn ping is so aggravating with no codes to go with. Plans today-ish are to pull the throttle body and check/clean it/the iac and to check vacuum hoses/exhaust while it's off and I can get to stuff. I think there's a chuffle under there somewhere, but it's a muffle chuffle and hard to hear. It seems to be from up front. Don't think the 3.4s have the exhaust manifold problems the 2.7s do, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:06 PM

Hey Hab... I just can't remember where I read it... But 3.4 Ping was often >>>>>>>>>> ????? I'll look for it again... Sorry I didn't make a note of it.. It WAS a thread on here... But I just can't remember what it was. I DO remember one thing... It was something I would not expect. DANGIT that stinks.... I'm losing my memory, ...very sad part of getting OLD! haha. OK< not OLD, OLD... But old enough to know I'm losing my memory a bit! hahaha.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

AAAAGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you remember it I would be very pleased indeed. If you don't then you're just like me!
Old 07-30-2012, 03:00 PM

I know, I'm sorry... And I'm cooking a party tonight... Pretty busy all day since 5AM, on 3 hours sleep! hahaha... BUT, it might just come to me. Actually, SO MUCH INFO STORAGE DEMAND when you get started on all these projects(mine, I mean... and of course, the 200 threads I'm subscribed to... Knowing everyone's name as best as I can..... ETC.! ahhhhhhhh! It's too much for my tired brain. HAHA) i'M A PRETTY GOOD multi-tasker... But DANG, ....this whole "Toyotaticulitis" Virus has taken it's toll on the old Cranial Cabbage!!!!

I thought it had something to do with the Dizzy and Throttle Body... But I honestly can't remember. I'll start searching through my bookmarks asap.

BTW, I think that dude who is converting his Toy RV to a 3.4 was discussing this.. But can't be sure. My buddy Anthony1 did one as well, a swap.... (just trying to think of all the 3.4 swap and improvement threads I've been on)... OH, and there is that one thread, "Upgrades/maintenance I can do to my 5VZE when I pull it" or something like that... I'll try to find it, in case you're not on it already. Seemed to have LOTS of info/input/arguing going on as to what's best, ya know? hahaha...
Old 07-30-2012, 03:01 PM

Sorry Hab.... don't be mad at me, k? Wasn't trying to tease ya.... :praysforforgiveness:< smiley inserted there! HAHAHA
Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 PM
Contributing Member

Hoping you have a good night and get some sleep after.

Found a thread that described the situation about perfect, last post said he thought he got it figured out and would post that night with details. That was in 2005.

I'm searching, searching, searching. Without a code it's all in my head. And ears.
Actually, today it was cooler outside and with premium not even a pip of a ping.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My '99 ranger 3.0 pinged in the summer but was fine in the winter. I just used premium when it got pingy and that helped with "pep" a little bit too. I know you want to figure out the cause of the thing, not just mask it up. Otherwise I'd say put on Texas Ace's suggested methanol injection kit to cool things down a bit.

I sold that Ranger to buy the 4Runner, so I never figured out what was wrong with it (of course, I never really did anything other than change the oil in that thing anyway). Have confidence: you're just having this problem so you can figure it out for the rest of us as our odometers grow older and wiser. Then when it happens to us, you'll be the guru.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks 4biker, I'm trying!

Today I tested the MAF using http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/SIL/.../mafm/insp.pdf.

For those with connectors like my 96 has and for my own future reference since they are not the same as described in the link:

for air temp...use ohmmeter
unplugged, neg lead to E2, positive to THA
k ohm
2.2 - 2.7 @ 20 degrees celcius
.5 - .7 @ 60 degrees celcius
Don't know if it's kosher or not, but I used a hair dryer set on low and not too close to raise the temp and see what happened. It appears to work nicely

For air flow....use voltmeter
plugged in, ign on (not running)
neg lead to VG, pos lead to E2G
looking for voltage fluctuations when air flow is introduced (blow in it, already). Again, worked as it should.

Doing this did set a couple of codes for the MAF. Cleared them and they have not returned.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:32 PM
Contributing Member

Our library has Alldata so tomorrow I plan to stop by and get info on how to test the TPS and IAC and some other sensors. The link in the post above is helpful for info but only so much as it's for a 2000 3.4. Many of the connectors and wires are different on my old 96. I won't pull the throttle body or mess with the IAC until I've got that info.

Another thing I need to do is double check the crank bolt. I recall reading about people's pulleys coming loose or altogether OFF. When it comes loose it misaligns the crank position sensor and can cause running problems. Boy do I ever hope it's not that. I was the last person to torque that sucker down at 217 ft lbs back when I did that last timing belt.

I've also double-checked my work on the ISR mod, one of the clamps had worked its way a little loose but not much. It's tight now.

Right now I've got no ping. It's been cooler (90's) lately and there's premium in the tank now. Is it wrong that I find that annoying? Unless it's suddenly decided to quit pinging on me, then I am one happy camper!

Last edited by habanero; 07-31-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:08 PM
Contributing Member

It's cool your library has AllData...not so here in small town USA.
Wonder if the 95.5-97 Tacoma 5vz-fe FSM is more similar.....
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1996/96_r...searchable.pdf

Keep up the great work! You'll get to the bottom of this issue soon. C' ya.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread