Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Thanks for another ncttora link! More reading.....
Old 08-01-2012, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You probably already saw this thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f28/...g-lean-243166/ (check post 22)

How old is your exhaust (including cat)? Sorry I can't remember if it's all replaced. Did you already run a fuel injector cleaner? I used Techron and was pretty happy with it.

My personal feeling is that these motors are so popular and well-built that if it's not throwing codes, there shouldn't be a "ghost" in a sensor. It's certainly possible, but why just yours? I prophylactically changed my O2 sensor and in retrospect I think it was definitely a waste of $80. That was for fuel economy and I think I was chasing zebras. Don't get me wrong - I'm not criticizing you or your methods, especially since ping is such a rare problem with these motors. It very well may be a zebra you're hunting down.

It's super frustrating to have something like this. In all my reading about adjusting valves I learned that these motors are built for premium gas, but can handle lower grades by simply retarding the timing. For the extra $3.00 per tank during the hot months it's not a terrible value anyway, but that doesn't make the problem go away.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Contributing Member

I did read that, thanks. I was sad that he sold it before he got it completely figured out.

I may be chasing ghosts, but I gotta get this found out. It was pinging really really badly when it was loaded down and we were headed to Colorado. Even premium wasn't doing much to help it, it was horrible. Still pinging badly when we got back to Missouri. That ping is a rare problem makes me MORE likely to look for some stripes.

I've got the typical ticking 3.4. That doesn't bother me (though I'd really like to know why).
There's a muffle chuffle somewhere. Exhaust is ORIGINAL. Doesn't act like a clogged cat, though. Stomp gas = more power. This sound only bothers me a little.
I have not used fuel injector cleaner so far.

So when we got home I cleaned the air filter (true flow) and the MAF though it looked nice and clean.
Changed out the charcoal canister with the 99's. It was on hand so why not? Didn't change anything but it was free to try. I recently switched them back.
Put in a new Toyota Cali spec 02 sensor 2 weeks ago. With 125,000 miles I felt ok with doing it as maintenance. Did this help? It no longer does the occasional running rough on start-up. It started pinging less. And less. And slowly, less. For the past 3 days there has been very little to no pinging. Coincidence? I'll let time be the judge here. As far as gas mileage, the change has been tiny thus far.

I'm still going to do some sensor testing because I can and forget that zebra, I'm going for Okapis!
Testing sensors is only a matter of time and effort spent learning how. When it comes to this sort of thing I enjoy learning how so bear with me. I will prolly pull the IAC and clean it again because it's been a couple of years since I last did it and it's easy to do. I am going to test both the tps and IAC while I'm at it. Why not?

I do feel better that it's not pinging its guts out currently. I know I have some tired rings in the one corner but decent compression once they get going. It's got the chuffle. It could prolly use a valve job but not until/unless I have to deal with the knock sensors or becomes a problem. Heck, if I gotta put in knock sensors I'm making a bracket and moving them to SOMEWHERE ELSE!!! The connector I can reach and a wire for the side I can't is pretty cheap. Hmph!

So I'm just working things out. I'm not worried about the truck, just have at least one puzzle to solve. Thinking out loud and getting some excellent feedback is mega useful, I hope we end up helping others with all this back 'n' forth. Thanks ChefYota4x4, rworegon, 4biker, for being a part of PING: Solution or No Resolution?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The chuffle..... Can you locate the general location with a mechanics stethoscope or the screwdriver handle to the ear trick? Do you think it could be an exhaust manifold gasket leaking or a gasket at some other point in the exhaust system giving out? Pinhole on the muffler?

Just ran across this document on the EVAP system:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2000/Serv...ion%20Info.pdf

Last edited by rworegon; 08-01-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Contributing Member

Looked good, cleaned the IAC and throttle body and reinstalled.

Last edited by habanero; 07-03-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

The IACV does look good...mine always seems to have a bit of gunk/carbon? on the butterfly valve in the IACV so it moves in a jerky action.
What's next on the list?

Last edited by rworegon; 08-02-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I've tested the rear 02, VSV, IAC, and coolant temp sensor today, good good and good (assuming I've done it right ) then cleaned the IAC and throttle body (pics were pre-cleaning).

I'm gonna stand back and take a deep breath. It's still not pinging and I am going to try using some regular in there again to see what happens. Curiosity killed the engine!

I did find what looked to be very small holes in a few spots on the muffler, but no tell-tale carbon. I may have to wait until I can hear the chuffle at idle before I find it. That's ok, it's 'bout time I got some housework done around here even though I'd rather fiddle with the truck.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Contributing Member

I wish my IACV looked that good pre-cleaning after two or so years. Fingers crossed that the front O2 sensor helped out and the ECM is on it's way to being recalibrated and will like the regular gas again.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Dannnnnnng, lol... Miss a couple updates and I'M WAY behind! haha... Nice work on testing everything.... All I can say is I'M SO FRUSTRATED at times having checked everything 10 times on this OBD1 girl.... coming up empty! grrrr! lol....... I've even developed a couple new oddities(which I see you saw).... Wish I could just let it go... but something is squealing for HELP! I can't just leave it hanging!

One question..... Will "Costco GAS" be at the end of this successful Gremlin hunt by any chance????? haha... I don't seem to have any difference in performance when spending 30 cents more a gallon on others... But I was willing to try anyway! haha.

I admire your perseverance, Hab
Old 08-02-2012, 10:17 PM
Contributing Member

Been away for a while... what have I missed? pinging eh? problem gone after a few days? sometimes it takes the puter a few days to adjust everything back after a new part is installed... the chuffle could be coming from around the welds at the joints... no carbon will be visible as it's usually too hot and too high pressure... any carbon there is all blown away... have hubby rev it the point you normally hear it and {with a glove on} run your hand carefully over the joint points ie manifold to head pipe/cat/mid pipe/muffler/tailpipe... you'll feel the gas coming out... I'd guess it was the joints around the cat they always seem to be the ones to go first in my experience and make the least noise.

might also check the gaskets on the 02 sensors...

hope this helps
avi
Old 08-03-2012, 04:08 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rworegon
Fingers crossed that the front O2 sensor helped out and the ECM is on it's way to being recalibrated and will like the regular gas again.
You and me both!!!

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Dannnnnnng, lol... Miss a couple updates and I'M WAY behind! haha... Nice work on testing everything.... All I can say is I'M SO FRUSTRATED at times having checked everything 10 times on this OBD1 girl.... coming up empty! grrrr! lol....... I've even developed a couple new oddities(which I see you saw).... Wish I could just let it go... but something is squealing for HELP! I can't just leave it hanging!

One question..... Will "Costco GAS" be at the end of this successful Gremlin hunt by any chance????? haha... I don't seem to have any difference in performance when spending 30 cents more a gallon on others... But I was willing to try anyway! haha.
I sure wish I had the magic formula for you! While mine was doing the 500rpm/rough run for half a minute it didn't seem to care if it was warm or cold. When you know something is up you wanna find it, part puzzle, part nagging. Gas would be an easy check, though you'd think it'd run bad more than just warm start-up? Stupid gremlins! Best of luck and skill on it, Chef!

Originally Posted by aviator
Been away for a while... what have I missed? pinging eh? problem gone after a few days? sometimes it takes the puter a few days to adjust everything back after a new part is installed... the chuffle could be coming from around the welds at the joints... no carbon will be visible as it's usually too hot and too high pressure... any carbon there is all blown away... have hubby rev it the point you normally hear it and {with a glove on} run your hand carefully over the joint points ie manifold to head pipe/cat/mid pipe/muffler/tailpipe... you'll feel the gas coming out... I'd guess it was the joints around the cat they always seem to be the ones to go first in my experience and make the least noise.

might also check the gaskets on the 02 sensors...

hope this helps
avi
YOU'RE BACK!!! Thanks for the tips and tutor about the carbon. I'm so old school.
It started pinging really bad end of June, when we were loaded to the gills for vacation. After thinking about it I had a little ping here and there before hand but not enough to give it much thought. Should've, I guess. The extra work really brought out the problem but when we got back and unloaded it didn't quit pinging and it was running rough with low rpms for half a minute-ish on start-up randomly. Premium gas did very little to the ping. I put an o2 sensor in a couple of weeks ago, the only part I've changed out, and it started running better slowly, slowly. It hasn't pinged in days now and I'm putting regular gas back in as a test. We'll have to see how that goes.

Now that you're caught up, welcome back!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Garden update: Finally picked two small 4-5" ears of corn. Ate 'em for lunch. Yummy!

You back on the regular unleaded now?
Old 08-04-2012, 11:59 PM

HEY SASSY PANTS! .... Yep...that's it... :waitsInCornerWithCuriousLookAsToWhatResponseWillB e: smiley inserted there <<< hahaha.

Just messin... Yeah, I'm SICK OF MY GRELMINS! Ready to go pick up a 2012 Turbo Diesel Toyota Truck in South Africa and DRIVE IT BACK HERE! hahaha. You KWIMean, lol

See ya round, Ping'ette! NOW KILL THAT THING! haha.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 08-05-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:30 AM
Contributing Member

Mmmm, corn. Just finished off the last of ours. Tomatoes though, those I've got, and bell peppers too! Glad to hear you're enjoying some good corn, wonder if there's time to plant more?

I'm on regular again without ping so far. I'm kinda scared to say it's been figured out but so far it looks good. Maybe it went to Chef 'cause it couldn't put up with just how sassy my pants can be.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:28 AM
Contributing Member

Planted corn about 3 weeks ago and there just may be enough time to replant these rows too. It would depend on the fall weather....generally we are warm enough mid November.

Good news on the ping! May the gremlin be banished.

Edited added: Re-planted 3 rows of corn today...now it's a race against the growing season.

Last edited by rworegon; 08-05-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:54 PM
Contributing Member

Is the ping gremlin officially dead?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

Hey hab...
now I don't wanta hear no more excuses I want you to submit some pics for the 2013 calendar... you have 0 reasons to be shy... your rig is worthy and your family is worthy... let's see'im!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:39 PM

Hahaha... just saw your response.... SASSY PANTELONES! lol.

JK,... great news on the PING-free experience! And the VEGGIE-TABLES! And I CONCUR! PICS OF HAB and her 3RD GEN ON THE CALENDAR THIS YEAR? I VOTE YAY! ....

that's 2 votes so far..... Hey, to make a point of how shy you apparently are... You could post that pic of you hiding in the Tree again, ... fitting for a camera shy girl! hehe. Seriously though... Yes, you're a pretty woman/mother/wife/HARD WORKER! ... But YOU ALSO HAVE A SICK TOY! that's the kicker for us Yota Lovers!
Old 08-17-2012, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Hello everybody! The ping is almost dead. I still get a little on a warm engine every now and again, 1800-2200 rpm-ish running on 87 octane, you've really gotta listen for it. The massive amounts of ping I had earlier are history. Still no check engine light. Kind've annoying but it's been interesting to chase around.
Today I tested the crankshaft angle sensor for resistance and removed a lot of dirt and oil off it. It tested good.

Calendar pics? Fine! I'm going to remove the fan, shroud and upper radiator hose, wedge my upper body in between the radiator and engine and rest the hood on my rear and kick my legs around so it looks like I'm being chowed upon by the 96!

The 99 threw a P0120 just to spite me with its code throwing abilities. That one's likely not a biggie, no running problems yet. Probably just the 4Runner equivalent of one-upmanship directed at the 96.

Veggies are excellent. I've got a bazillion red bell peppers now, some anaheims, cantaloupe, okra, tomatoes. The green beans are starting to flower and the pintos are doing ok. I planted corn a couple of weeks ago but don't have much hope for it. It's only a few inches tall at this point. We sent the heat to Chef and everything seems to be breathing easier for it. Heat and Gremlins, sorry Chef!
Old 08-17-2012, 07:26 PM

.............. It's ok......... I'm used to it... :dragsfootbackandforthinfrontofmyselfin"AW-SHUCKS"mannerwithheaddown........smiley: hahahaa...

SERIOUSLY, WTH? hahaha... Nah... I'm used to it, here.. ALWAYS brutally hot in August... then even flares back up in November, BIG TIME, usually into the high 80's and even 90's at times. Been doing it off and on in cycles for CENTURIES! ...I suppose having AC everywhere and such,.... I can't complain as much as the guys back in 1776, right?

"Wedged in like being eaten by 96 Runner"... GOT IT! hehehe.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread