Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hab I need a favor from you when ever you might have a min. Could you please look at the windshield washer tanks on both your runners more importantly the plug for the pump and let me know in they are different. My tank has been changed at some point it wasn't hooked up when I got it and I can't figure out what's what with plugs. I thought about looking at a newer style 3rd gen in the Walmart parking lot the other day but then thought eh the way I look if somebody seen me they might think I'm planting a bomb or something Lol.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
BRB, checking for you.

I haven't had to mess with the washer pump yet. I can see part of one on the 99, below and to the side of the washer tank. There are wires that run from that vicinity to a grey plug attached to the front support. Is this the plug you want?

99 4Runner:

96 4Runner

Or is that a bunch of pics you don't need?

When it warms up and de-ices I'll pull the connectors apart so you can see the connections if you want. If this is the right plug. Otherwise, gimme the location and I'll go from there.
We are in the middle of a snow day again, it riced on us this morning.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-17-2014, 09:46 AM

That looks like the plug I have on the main truck harness, but it doesn't match up to the plug on the pump, there may be a short jump connector from that plug to the pump that I don't have. I have checked that plug a few times for power and can't seem to get any, but when I make deep water crossing something shorts out and kicks my wipers on as if I had hit the wash position on the switch, which tell me there is power there, how ever I have tried to recreate the deep water scenario by submerging the plug in water and can get it to do anything that way. Sorry for rambling, I would like to get my washer fixed and am will to go with a different tank/pump what ever but at this point I'm not even sure what is the correct wiring. Thanks for the picks I sure didn't expect you to go out in the cold and get them stay in where its warm and dry.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

My pump is back behind the support and under the washer. There is a cover in the front of the wheel well, off to the inside. Looks easy enough to pull (famous last words). I'll have to get into that and see if I can see more. It'd be nicer if it weren't so icy wet out, but the south wind has finally shown up so hopefully things will dry up while we do a (blech) shopping trip for some manpants for the hubby for me to steal later (Shhhh!) so I don't have to shop for my own. I can't stands shopping.

Do you have pics of what you're dealing with that I might better identify what you're looking for? I'm finding this interesting.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:16 PM

I don't have any pics at the moment but I will take a few when I get home. I'm with you on the not liking to shop.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by habanero
Would the noise absorption in the 99's hood insulation affect the noise level in the cabin or does the noise generally come through the firewall more so than the hood?

I do love a good thinky question.
sounds like a future school project/science experiment for the kiddo...
Old 02-17-2014, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hrt4me
sounds like a future school project/science experiment for the kiddo...
Always looking for a new idea though I am inclined to think Jason is on the right track.
Originally Posted by jason in tn
Jm2c the hood insulation has no affect on in cabin noise or at least very little, it is installed more to protect the paint. Most in cabin noise is picked up thru the fire wall and the floor, as well as panel vibration. Having full skids on traps a lot of engine noise that would normally go all the way to the ground, I'm sure you've noticed but they also trap a ton of heat. Again I'm no engineer so I'm just throwing this out there.
Jason, I got home too dark and cold (got to go for a walk too!) but tomorrow will be 58 degrees and I'll be itching to be outside after I get the kid from school. I'll use your pic to figure out what you want from my pic. I'm thinking it's the connector at the pump itself.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Snow today, 58 tomorrow? That's crazy!

Hi ya!
Old 02-18-2014, 03:11 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to Missouri. Don't like the weather? Wait a minute.

Good morning!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to Missouri. Don't like the weather? Wait a minute. Good morning!
And, the same goes for here in Oregon.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

I have just enough time to show the pigtail and connector, then I gots to scoot to work...
I'll do a write-up on getting the washer tank out later.

96 4Runner

Both ends of the pigtail, there are 2 blue wires attached to the plug that go back under the washer, I didn't bother with those, prolly fluid level or explosion warning or something.

Pump end:

Pump

Other end of pigtail, the one from previous post:

Okay, 5 minutes to get dressed- just enough time! Have a great day all!!
(more pics later)

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner
Getting the washer tank out/getting to the washer pump

Okay. This should have been super easy. There is a black plastic cover accessible from the front of the wheel well. 3 bolts, 3 catches and it should come on out and TADA! access to washer pump! At least, cramped access to the washer pump.

Where you're dealing with:

Turn wheel if you have to drop the tank:

Unbolt 3 bolts

Two of the 2 black tabs fell off while loosening the bolts. I am none worried, that sucker is not going anywhere. I know because I tried to make it. There are 3 other little tabs holding the cover to the tank. Very visible because they are white plastic. The washer pump itself is on the right side as you'd be looking at it and towards the front support.

Dirty rotten scoundrel would. not. budge.

Okay, no prob Bob. Let's pull the tank itself.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

So now we're going to pull the tank. You've already undone the bolts.
Now undo the holder for the tank's neck. It just snaps in place and takes very little pressure to release the neck.

Unplug this plug. it is attached to the front support and is behind the front bumper:

The 2 small id hoses also need to be undone. You can't quite see it in the picture, but there are connectors for each just under the wire of the plug you just unplugged. Keep track of which hose connected to which. When you pull the hoses off the nipples washer fluid will come out. The tank can hold a gallon so be prepared to catch however much you have in your tank.

There is a little hook you can see from the front of the support. The tank can't drop down until you clear the hole it's in.

and it should be able to wiggle out pretty easily.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:16 PM
Contributing Member

Where everything is routed:

They just slide out

Cute little washer pump:

Unplugs at the top

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 07:06 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:26 PM
Contributing Member

And here's that pigtail again. Just 2 wires, a black and a red, go to the pump. The plug at the pump is keyed, so comparing the pictures should give you a good idea of which side the red is on and which side for the black.

I did not dig to find out where the other two (blue) wires went.

When you button it up make sure the fill tube is seated:

You can see to raised bits that line up and it just slides into place.

Refill with washer fluid.
Pretty simple, really. And now I know.

Jason, let me know if this does it for you, of if you need the 99 plug pics too.

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:20 PM

Hab let me first say you are an awesome contributor to this site, again you have went above and beyond to help me with a problem. I will be home tomorrow and will be comparing your pics to what I have but I can tell already there are some things missing on mine and maybe even the wrong tank. Again thank you so much for all the info and I will post up asap as to what I find with mine.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

It was a beautiful morning and you know I hunt for things to mess with on the old thing. I will find it quite gratifying if it turns out to be a help for you.

Have an easy trip and a safe trip home, I'd love to see what you have and how you deal with it. Curiosity is the me!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, don't laugh too hard. I just noticed the electrical tape on the headlight socket wiring. I've changed that bulb a couple of times yet don't remember seeing that. That wasn't a me thing....
The mouse chews on the washer fluid fill lid and tube was there when I bought the truck.
Wonder if they're related?

Something new to play with!
Old 02-18-2014, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, don't laugh too hard. I just noticed the electrical tape on the headlight socket wiring. I've changed that bulb a couple of times yet don't remember seeing that. That wasn't a me thing....
The mouse chews on the washer fluid fill lid and tube was there when I bought the truck. Wonder if they're related? Something new to play with!
I saw the tape and was going to tease you, but you saved yourself with the explanation. Nope, that does not look like a Hab repair. A small piece of tape over the lid or do you even mess with sealing it?

The hubby may think it will catch fire though, you know?.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:41 PM
Contributing Member

Not even bother with sealing that mousie hole. So far it doesn't seem to be a problem and the half-gallon I drained out today was a clean, clear blue.

I read that fire business to him, he lol'd. It's become a phrase for EVERYTHING. If I touch it and even if I don't, it's gonna catch fire.

Yeah, I didn't do that tape job.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread