Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
I've priced the Warn quick connect cables for the rears of both trucks.

For that I can buy the Warn style anderson connectors, cables, terminals, heatshrink and a crimper. I think. Oh, and still have some dough left over.

So I am looking at crimpers. Some are REALLY expensive, but there are el cheapo ones around $50 on Amazon. I am interested in getting one of those that can handle, say, 2 gauge cable.
Do any of you have any experience with hydraulic crimpers such as:
TMSĀ® 16 Ton Hydraulic Wire Battery Cable Lug Terminal Crimper Crimping Tool 11 Dies - - Amazon.com TMSĀ® 16 Ton Hydraulic Wire Battery Cable Lug Terminal Crimper Crimping Tool 11 Dies - - Amazon.com
Or have another or a better idea?

I'm looking at making 2 18' cables and a 6' cable, give or take a foot or two.
Suggestions, comments, what-all, would love to hear.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hab, I bought the same crimper when wiring the boat last spring. Can't remember what size cable I used but had to improvise a bit to get a tight enough crimp on the cable lugs. It worked....and it's been loaned out several times now.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:56 PM
Contributing Member

Excellent to know rw, thanks!
Old 01-26-2016, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

The improv....used some 1/16" or so thick scrap metal to make a pair of liners for the smallest (I think) jaw set to get a firm crimp.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Love improv rw, and thanks for the tip.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good looking ride
Old 01-31-2016, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Thank you!
Old 02-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Contributing Member

Having fun tearing down a bent and broken antenna motor, gonna steal some of the guts to replace some of the worn stuff, especially the biggest gear, on mine.

Interestingly (to me), the housing that contains the 2 magnets can be put on in either direction which makes me recall a post on T4R some time ago about an antenna that was running backwards after being taken apart. I'm not sure if I'm curious enough to see if I can make that happen by simply reversing the housing (there is a ground on one side only), but I kind of am.

My hubby would prolly tell me it's gonna catch fire.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:44 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
I've priced the Warn quick connect cables for the rears of both trucks.

For that I can buy the Warn style anderson connectors, cables, terminals, heatshrink and a crimper. I think. Oh, and still have some dough left over.

So I am looking at crimpers. Some are REALLY expensive, but there are el cheapo ones around $50 on Amazon. I am interested in getting one of those that can handle, say, 2 gauge cable.
Do any of you have any experience with hydraulic crimpers such as:
TMSĀ® 16 Ton Hydraulic Wire Battery Cable Lug Terminal Crimper Crimping Tool 11 Dies - - Amazon.com
Or have another or a better idea?

I'm looking at making 2 18' cables and a 6' cable, give or take a foot or two.
Suggestions, comments, what-all, would love to hear.
Great, I think you just cost me $45

A friend of mine just bought a 1992 Quigley diesel 4x4 Ambulance. You should have seen the size of the cables he pulled out of it...tried to talk him out of some of them but he said no...
Old 02-02-2016, 05:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dropzone
Great, I think you just cost me $45

A friend of mine just bought a 1992 Quigley diesel 4x4 Ambulance. You should have seen the size of the cables he pulled out of it...tried to talk him out of some of them but he said no...
RW's fault!

At the cost of even the 2 gauge cable I can see why he'd wanna hang onto it...besides the cool of fat huge cables.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

RW's fault!
So'd you buy yours, Hab???
And, if one is creative, it's a tool that likely has other applications of which I have not discovered yet.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:09 PM
Contributing Member

It's in my cart and I'm trying to get all my ducks in order. Dang things just keep running off in all directions quacking their fool heads off! It's very distracting.

I narrowly missed getting nailed by a lady who ran the eastbound red light as we were turning west on a green. Caught a flash of green to the left out of the corner of my eye, slammed on the brakes and all I could see is green roof- she was that close. Unfortunately the lady in the other turn lane next to me could not see her and didn't react to my ohcrap stop so the green car took out the front of her hood and grille, then the green car spun and smacked butt-first into the front of an oncoming mini van in the middle turn lane. Speed limit there is 45, I didn't see that green car do the brake-dive even one little bit.

All vehicles involved will likely be totaled. I feel very bad for the two innocents and so very lucky for my truck today.

Oh, and I washed that lucky little truck today, too. 60-some-odd degrees today and not supposed to freeze tonight so I had no choice.

Last edited by habanero; 02-03-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Whoa! That was way too close! Glad you escaped without any ouches. About 45 here and mostly sunny...went over to the lake a couple of miles away and found no trout that wanted to come home with me.

Hehe, another thing I can spend your money on: google up Vacmaster VP215 (videos show it best). Picked up one recently to vac pack fish, meat, soups, veggies, coffee, etc. I like buying in bulk for the savings, but being single it was tough to beat the freezer burn sometimes. I'm using it more than I could have imagined. It makes marinating steaks a quick process.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:46 PM
Contributing Member

Your fishies will surely taste better after a stint in the freezer all vacpac'd. And YIKES, that's a lot. Still, between fishies and bulk foods and flavor it should eventually pay for itself. If not you can always use it for a bumper.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:12 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Glad you avoided that accident. Too bad about the other folks. ..
My wife's car was totaled just before Christmas, it has been a PITA..
Old 02-03-2016, 04:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dropzone
Glad you avoided that accident. Too bad about the other folks. ..
My wife's car was totaled just before Christmas, it has been a PITA..
Sorry to hear, hopefully she's okay and the PITA part is over soon! I am glad I stopped and reported what I'd seen since I had the best view- it seems from what the cop was saying the lady who caused the wreck said the first car she hit, the one next to me, ran the light. Days like that make me wish I had a dash cam, though I suppose all that would have been seen was the roof of the green car flying by my hood (it was really close)- and our green light.
Old 02-03-2016, 05:39 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Sorry to hear, hopefully she's okay and the PITA part is over soon! I am glad I stopped and reported what I'd seen since I had the best view- it seems from what the cop was saying the lady who caused the wreck said the first car she hit, the one next to me, ran the light. Days like that make me wish I had a dash cam, though I suppose all that would have been seen was the roof of the green car flying by my hood (it was really close)- and our green light.
She came out fine, unfortunately it was her fault .

That is great that you reported what you saw. I have a cheap eBay dash cam that i want to install, one of those things that has been on the shelf.
A friend of mine was involved in an accident and the other guy swore up and down that it was my friend's fault. My friend asked the cop if he wanted to view the dashcam footage, that shut the other guy up quick.

I would like to have a rear facing camera that records too. I swear at times my cars must be equipped with electric magnets people are following so close.

RBX is doing a multi camera system that looks cool
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52304446
Originally Posted by RBX
Little update...
While I wait for the engine swap, I am building an Arduino to monitor engine information the OBD2/ECU doesn't monitor or display. There are programs that plug into the OBD2 port like Torq, but I need more information...like boost psi and EGT. Here is the list and a couple of pics of the test setup. So far I only have 5 temperature sensors running, and I hope to clean up the font and display to be easier to read while driving.
What you see here is a cheap 7" TFT monitor with and RCA connected to a TVout Video Experimenter(video shield) and an Arduino Uno(clone). The temperature sensors are DS18B20, I'm using the OneWire sketch to capture the data based on the sensors address. Still need to add Boost pressure, Oil pressure Pyrometer, Air Fuel Ratio, RPM with shiftlight an dfan trigger for intercooler.

Old 02-03-2016, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

Oh. Wow...another thread to follow. I'm okay with being jealous of his set-up.
Thanks for the link!

I'm not the best driver in the world by any means, but, wow, there are some real clowns out there. Speaking of, this particular clown has to go sling some hash to the kiddos. Okay, fish nuggets, mac, and blueberries. I love blueberry days.
Have a great day all.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:36 PM
Contributing Member

Antenna questions keep popping up so I am writing this up. Some pics are already in this thread, but some have been added for clarity. I also dive much deeper into the motor and will do a pictorial on that too. Because why not?

How to replace the antenna mast.
Pretend I’m just a curious girl with a little time to fiddle with stuff this evening and not a mechanic. Because I am not. Proceed under your own power and wits and wanton risk.

Radio off. Unscrew the antenna bezel nut counter clockwise

and take off

Turn radio on, antenna poops out. It's nice to have someone catch this for you.

Here's the antenna with intact plastic track. Mine is OEM, the plastic track measures 44 1/2" when you've exposed as much track as possible.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

undo 10mm bolts that hold plastic wheel well cover on
There's the antenna just in front of the passenger front door

Follow the electrical wiring to the plug. Disconnect plug

Undo 10mm bolt just under antenna motor.

there is a tab holding it in place but it's not hard to unhook from bracket to pull motor from fender

One antenna motor, antenna wire still attached.

Yours may still have the protective plastic sleeve. Undo tape at top and bottom, slide up and off motor

if you want to take the antenna mast off unscrew this screw

You can work on this at the wheel, no need to remove the mast. It’s cold out and I didn’t want to disconnect the antenna cable at the radio.

Last edited by habanero; 07-01-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread