Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 09:32 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey hon..... I not sure what I just sped read there, other than you have an entire e locker axle! Unless you just took a picture of Jason to show that you have an e locker...

Anyway, I have 4 30's still in the diff with the tube and everything from an 87... I'm not sure, but I'm doubting that will work with your front..... But,... It is 7.5 inch... Yet, I'm guessing your setup is different in the front. Anyway, I've been hoping to find someone who needs 430 gears for the front. Lol.
Old 01-20-2014, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Jason would look weird holding the wheels with hands and feet and I don't even know where I would bolt the driveshaft!

Chef, it's awfully kind of you to think of me! I think I'll be able to find something around here for not too much, the fronts aren't gold like those lockers are. I think Killer B gave me a good deal and I'm happy with it, I'll be even happier if he does manage to scare up a front. Gotta find a rear sway bar too, I think I'm gonna want one of those too, being this is my daily driver and all.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:27 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner almost 259,8xx miles

Small ID coolant hoses. That was a job that took a lot of patience! Thank goodness for long scrawny hands and fingers and arms. The heater hoses weren't a big deal. A little annoying back there at the back, but okay. The worst was the hoses down by the oil cooler thingy, one horsehoe-shaped shaped and right at the oil thingy, one going from it and wrapping around to the front of the engine just under the alternator. Pulled the dipstick tube (one bolt, easy) to get access to the one at the front. The others I went in through the side, over the frame next to the rear side of the spring between the brake lines past the wiring and no, not much room at all. Hopefully I won't have to do that again for another 18 years and if I do, it'll be when I'm doing the timing belt and have the front of the engine out of the way!!!
I only had one beer (Schlafly Coffee Stout) but it felt like a 5 beer job!

I used Gates for the heater hoses and Toyota for the oil cooler thingy hoses.
If anyone wants pics of anything let me know. The 96 does not have aux rear heat so those hoses didn't need to be replaced.

I can also see a small oil leak but best as I can tell it's a small one at the dipstick tube. Should be an o-ring, I would think.

Have a nice night.

Last edited by habanero; 01-20-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
If anyone wants pics of anything let me know. The 96 does not have aux rear heat so those hoses didn't need to be replaced.
of course, for reference, I would like to see any pics you happened to take during the your hose replacement...

and BTW, now your '96 will have an e-locker too, just as I had been posting all along (see, I was prescient!)
Old 01-21-2014, 04:33 AM
Contributing Member

Heehee, you were.

I didn't take any pics this time but I can of access points to those 2 oil cooler thingy hoses. The heater hoses were easy enough, there were 3, one had this weird sardine can key type of hose clamp I'd never seen before. I replaced it with a worm drive clamp.

You didn't happen to get a glance at your underhood sticker, did you? I'm curious as to what yours says. It's been said the 96- mid 99 aren't separated cali and non-cali though when I buy emissiony stuff I have to specify.

We have another snow day with dropping temps and lots of wind. It was 50 yesterday. Bah.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:38 AM
Contributing Member

The 3 heater hoses (no rear heat). You can see the 4 hose clamps. These are directly behind the engine on the firewall. These are Gates hoses, the shortest needed about an inch trimmed off and the other two were plug n play.

The place two of the heater hoses go to. Easy enough, follow the old hoses about 8" down. I used a long handled needle nose to get to the clamps.

The beer inspiring hoses to the oil cooler are here. I can't even get a pic of them. This was the best angle for me to get at them, and I tried everywhich way 'cept standing on my head. Of course they wouldn't just pop off, but I was able to get a utility knife in there and make some slices that facilitated things. I should have written 'below the exhaust manifold' rather than under. If your arms are skinny and long enough and you don't mind working somewhat blindly they can be done. The 1" body lift sure didn't hurt. I chose not to remove the tire because ape-arms, but it could help to do so. These two hoses came from Toyota.

And then there's this guy. It's the other end of the rearward-most oil cooler hose. The clamp is in that dark spot in the circle. Luckily the dipstick tube has a bracket you unbolt (yellow arrow) and then it pops right out. Pay attention to how it's routed, though there's really only one way that bugger is going to fit. Covering the now open hole is a good idea considering you're working with a coolant hose right above it. Unbolting the wire bracket (just to your left of the red circle) could also give you a tiny bit more room. I didn't.

I still have to do the stuff at the throttle body. Just ran out of time. I will do on some nice warm day. If I ever have to do the oil cooler hoses again it will be preventative maintenance when I do the timing belt and a lot more stuff is out of the way!

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:04 AM

You didn't happen to get a glance at your underhood sticker, did you? I'm curious as to what yours says. It's been said the 96- mid 99 aren't separated cali and non-cali though when I buy emissiony stuff I have to specify.
since you got out in the cold today to photograph those hoses, the least I can do is look and photograph the underhood sticker when I get home from work this evening... can you give me an idea where I can quickly and easily locate that sticker?
Old 01-21-2014, 06:46 AM
Contributing Member

It should about smack you in the face when open the hood and look up, it's about 4x5" or so. There might also be a vacuum hose routing guide up there too.

And thanks!
Old 01-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, a few more pics of the emissions sticker:

I originally omitted the lower part of the sticker, on there it plainly says CAL

And also, location in pics- it's the one on the passenger side:

And that's another Schlafly Coffee Stout. It's there for scale. Okay, really I told the 96 to 'here, hold ma beer'. Game bugger, ain't she?
I was done driving for the day before I opened that, just so we're clear. Also to be clear, it was a very fine and tasty beverage.

If anyone's got a non-cali 96 I'd love a comparison photo up here. (hint)

Other than that, it was a pretty productive day. The hubby pulled a front dif at the boneyard for me (why oh why oh WHY won't they let 10 year olds in so I can play too?????) so now I've got a 430 for the front. Whenever the weather decides to play fair I'll start cleaning up the diffs in anticipation of installing them. I will have to wait until all the salt is done with so the husbandio can drive his weeniemobiles around while I borrow the 99 for a daily while the 96 is down.

We also did another trail build day at SIUE. It's been so cold this year the ground was frozen to 5 or 6 inches deep. Mostly I think we scratched out an outline with hopes of finessing later when it warms up. Last January the trails were still workable-ish. This year has been so darned cold. On the plus side, the Fete de Glace wasn't a race against time this year , the sculptures stayed pretty for the whole event.

Hope y'alls have had a most magnificent weekend!

Last edited by habanero; 07-02-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 05:35 AM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
I sure thought that front diff would take less time to remove. Oy.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Funny that, so did I.

What a PITA.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Red! What's up?

I guess coating the diffs in teflon before pulling them and sticking in the others isn't gonna help? I get the feeling it's a more beer job than those stupid oil cooler thingy hoses...

Maybe a little. It's prolly cheating to not have to deal with the gears, isn't it? Almost plug n play!
Old 02-03-2014, 05:20 PM
Contributing Member

Hi Hab! Just checking in and saying hi. We're finally getting a return to winter here in the PNW. Yay!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I always love checking in to your thread!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

2-5" of snow due here today and tomorrow, took the kid to school but there's some speculation that we might be picking up early. RW.

Thanks for the compliment toyospearo! Glad to see you here.

Happy Tuesday all!
Old 02-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

We had wet snow last night that froze and now a dusting of snow over that.....it's slick around here. I'd love to go skiing today, but my better judgement says stay off the roads. Better judgement wins. Enjoy your snow, yet again!

Last edited by rworegon; 02-04-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:58 PM

You didn't happen to get a glance at your underhood sticker, did you? I'm curious as to what yours says. It's been said the 96- mid 99 aren't separated Cali and non-Cali, though when I buy emissiony stuff I have to specify.
It should about smack you in the face when you open the hood and look up, it's about 4x5" or so. There might also be a vacuum hose routing guide up there too.

And thanks!
no wonder I never noticed it, this is the underside of my hood...
Name:  4Runnerhoodnosticker_zps85891ac4.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  85.2 KB
Old 02-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Contributing Member

HA! You're NAKED!

Well, thanks for trying. Maybe someone with a non-cali 96 will throw something up on here....anyone?

How are you loving the weather....or more likely, the reactions of your fellow Texans to the weather?

We did end up with a 2 hour early pick-up for school, 4-5" predicted. Hopefully they'll get the streets ready for tomorrow in time so we can go to school in the morning.

Last edited by habanero; 02-04-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:34 PM

How are you loving the weather....or more likely, the reactions of your fellow Texans to the weather?
on particularly bad days, I just stay home rather than risk property damage or personal injury... and I baby the 4Runner as is (e.g. I don't take it out of the garage when it's raining outside)...

anyway, during the ice storm here on 5 December 2013, drivers were stranded on I-35 just north of me for more than 24 hours and abandoned their cars for nearby restaurants and businesses not too far from here, but all that paled in comparison to those recent happenings in Atlanta and other parts throughout the South last week
Old 02-04-2014, 06:35 PM

HA! You're NAKED!
at least I won't have to worry about transferring and/or matching stickers whenever I end up converting to the purely aesthetic sport hood with non-functioning scoop!

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread