Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 05:46 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Some part numbers for the various hoses and lines on the intake manifold
Name:  nqICvP6.png
Views: 88
Size:  930.3 KB
Not pictured- the forward IAC coolant hose to pipe (not attached to intake manifold but to the pipe behind it)- part# 16261-62060

And I stumbled across this site this morning. It is awesome for part numbers and schematics.
https://toyota-usa.epc-data.com/4run...l/2818/engine/

Last edited by habanero; 11-20-2018 at 06:49 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by habanero:
millball (11-20-2018), old87yota (11-20-2018)
Old 11-20-2018, 01:37 PM

Received 603 Likes on 441 Posts
Everything is looking good!!

Hope the weather treats you nice going forward. The parts database you linked is awesome.

I have bookmarked it and I know it'll get plenty use. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2018, 02:24 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by millball
Everything is looking good!!

Hope the weather treats you nice going forward. The parts database you linked is awesome.

I have bookmarked it and I know it'll get plenty use. Thanks!
Thanks millball, why this couldn't happen in summer when it's warm and I'm off work??
Sun came out today and it was 35 degrees. Unfortunately by the time I get home from work it's in the shade.
That's what long undies are for, right?

Old 11-20-2018, 02:28 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner

Today I finished torquing all the exhaust manifold bolts, still have to do the left side of the cross-over pipe.
I replaced the Frontwards-most IAC hose that goes to the pipe that runs under the intake manifold and up the rear-side of the engine
Name:  YzDZLLk.png
Views: 94
Size:  767.3 KB
Old 11-20-2018, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

96 4Runner that isn't running

While there's more room I checked the brake check valve that is in the brake booster. In the older 3rd gens it is separate from the booster and therefore replaceable. Mine is actually fine so I didn't replace it, just replaced the hardened gasket and cleaned it up. The 99's is bad and the brake pedal is hard and don't want to work when it's cold. It takes longer and more muscle to stop. It's getting a new
check valve 44730-60060
and grommet 90480-24015
Name:  l3qlQK5.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  46.9 KB

Easy to get off, I forgot pics but you'll see from the re-install how the retainer works
Here's the location, to the right of the master cylinder- where that hole is
Name:  EDFV9Cq.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  103.2 KB

Wiggle grommet in place. Getting the old one out I was careful not to break it, I definitely didn't want to fish bits of it out of the booster. It was in a lot better shape
than the pcv grommet and stayed in one piece.
Name:  pQBtjMa.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  104.7 KB

Avoiding the flat retainer, install the check valve by pushing it in. I used a little light oil
Name:  7P8WzCI.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  51.3 KB

Twist the valve to line up the retainer to the pin in the brake valve and push it into place
Name:  x4IbqWP.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  81.6 KB

Put the hose back on. Ta-da!
Name:  Og0yfMg.jpg
Size:  69.5 KB

Old 11-24-2018, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Spent the last 3 days backpacking in the woods, got back yesterday afternoon. My calves are toast!
Today was a beautiful day for working on the '96.

Intake manifold with all its stuff went on, ps pump on but not adjusted, timing cover ntiming belt, fan bracket upper timing belt cover....stuff, lots of stuff. It looks more like an engine now. Gotta say, that little Schley hydraulic tensioner tool is awesome if used patiently. I did not have to remove the tensioner to compress it, just slowly cranked the tool a little bit, a little bit, a little bit as I worked on the other things. The key is to not tighten it beyond where it turns easily, to slowly compress the tensioner.
Anywho, it's timed and I didn't have to remove the lower cover or the hydraulic tensioner or the crankshaft pulley or ridiculous 217 ft lb bolt.

While I was looking for a nut that jumped out of my hand--- or I dropped, whatever---- I saw that the clutch hydraulic hose is falling apart so I'll be replacing that too.
Old 11-25-2018, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Pulleys, belts, alternator, fan, radiator, dipstick, exhaust manifold shields, fan shroud on. Ready for spark plugs and wires and that stuff and to put the plenums on. Rain is being annoying right now. Ice is on the way.
annnnd-

Rain let up just long enough for to pick up some new NGK 3967 plugs, anti-seize them and install them.
waiting for this wave to end-

got the coils and wires installed and the lower plenum
and now it's thundering and lightning and very very frightening!
And also very windy.
Looks like I'm done for today.
Name:  7wnb6CA.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  76.2 KB

Last edited by habanero; 11-25-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

And there goes the tornado siren. I am definitely done for the day!
Old 11-26-2018, 05:48 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
And there goes the tornado siren. I am definitely done for the day!
crap, hope all is well!
Old 11-26-2018, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by dropzone
crap, hope all is well!
Thanks dropzone, all is well. A funnel cloud was spotted north of here so that part was good for us and I haven't heard of any damage because of it so that's even better.
Missouri- the weather can't really be described as boring. 60 degrees Friday, warmish most of yesterday until the front went through, 30 for a high today, and windy.

Here's some of the things that have been happening while I've been outside working on the truck---
Cops came flying up our street one day looking for a couple of guys that had taken off after robbing a store, crashing into a car and lightpole and hitting a curb in their van.
The next day we found our mailbox on the ground by the post with a fire extinguisher stuffed in it which would have been an okay consolation prize except it was broken and empty.
The day after that a man shot a woman in the head after sexually assaulting her and two other women employees at a store about a mile from here. Thankfully a suspect has been caught.
Then we went backpacking. When we got back the neighbor said she called the fire department because our mailbox was smoking. A lot.
The fire department said it was condensation so that wasn't bad other than fire departments have enough to do without dealing with weird smoking mailboxes.
And then the tornado siren going off in late November.

It's been a weird 'may you live in interesting times' stretch of days. I am thankful none of it beyond a quick mailbox repair has affected us, it's just been strange out there lately.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:04 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Thanks dropzone, all is well. A funnel cloud was spotted north of here so that part was good for us and I haven't heard of any damage because of it so that's even better.
Missouri- the weather can't really be described as boring. 60 degrees Friday, warmish most of yesterday until the front went through, 30 for a high today, and windy.

Here's some of the things that have been happening while I've been outside working on the truck---
Cops came flying up our street one day looking for a couple of guys that had taken off after robbing a store, crashing into a car and lightpole and hitting a curb in their van.
The next day we found our mailbox on the ground by the post with a fire extinguisher stuffed in it which would have been an okay consolation prize except it was broken and empty.
The day after that a man shot a woman in the head after sexually assaulting her and two other women employees at a store about a mile from here. Thankfully a suspect has been caught.
Then we went backpacking. When we got back the neighbor said she called the fire department because our mailbox was smoking. A lot.
The fire department said it was condensation so that wasn't bad other than fire departments have enough to do without dealing with weird smoking mailboxes.
And then the tornado siren going off in late November.

It's been a weird 'may you live in interesting times' stretch of days. I am thankful none of it beyond a quick mailbox repair has affected us, it's just been strange out there lately.
I'm a full time emergency responder at Intel's largest industrial(size of a small city) site so we get weird calls too. I have never heard of smoking condensation, guess it was the dew evaporating ...that is wierd.

Glad the dirtbag was caught..
Old 11-26-2018, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

I've never seen the mailbox smoke before, would have liked to have seen it. I'm thinking your guess is a good one, dropzone.

Well, it never got to 30 degrees. Currently it's 25 but with the wind feels like 13 degrees. Tomorrow. I'll work on the truck tomorrow.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:19 AM
Contributing Member

ONLY because I was curious....the old injector screens after nearly 23 years:
habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread-ysrofbv.jpg

These all passed as good at Witch Hunter and I did not have any running issues until the head gasket blew.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:25 AM
Contributing Member

And thanks to my husband noticing the toyota number on one of the gaskets in the Yotashop that I couldn't figure out where it went-
Oil filler cap gasket 90430-37140
Name:  ciTm9fo.jpg
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  6JlqY29.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  35.1 KB

Name:  thangTb.jpg
Size:  38.9 KB

Name:  DZmEjOs.jpg
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  EVOu6Nc.jpg
Size:  36.9 KB
Old 11-27-2018, 06:17 AM

ONLY because I was curious....the old injector screens after nearly 23 years:

These all passed as good at Witch Hunter and I did not have any running issues until the head gasket blew.
I never touch injectors without installing new, clean screen buckets. The screens are inexpensive.

I am suprised that Witchhunter would service injectors and send them back out without installing new ones.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:31 AM
Contributing Member

I never touch injectors without installing new, clean screen buckets. The screens are inexpensive.

I am suprised that Witchhunter would service injectors and send them back out without installing new ones.
Witch Hunter did good and installed all new screens, o-rings and the rubber gasket things- plus sent all the old bits back with them. I really like that they did that, my curiosity being what it is and all.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:38 AM

Witch Hunter did good and installed all new screens, o-rings and the rubber gasket things- plus sent all the old bits back with them. I really like that they did that, my curiosity being what it is and all.
Sorry, I misunderstood.

It is easy to remove old screen buckets from injectors by screwing an appropriately sized sheet metal screw into them and pulling them out.

I use my small drill press as a press to push the new ones in flush.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Sorry, I misunderstood.

It is easy to remove old screen buckets from injectors by screwing an appropriately sized sheet metal screw into them and pulling them out.

I use my small drill press as a press to push the new ones in flush.
I should have mentioned it.
Good to know about a method of removal and replacement, also, a drill press would be awesome to have one of these days.
Old 11-27-2018, 01:43 PM
Contributing Member

D-d-d-d-d-d-done for tonight. 28 degrees, wind chill feels like 18. It's that when you wash your hands with cold water but it feels warm. Also I ran out of light.
Name:  DMA0RLV.jpg
Size:  95.9 KB

Main stuff is installed, gotta do the stuff around the outside, air box, batteries, charcoal canister, fuel line.

This thing had not only not blow up, it'd better start, too!!
Old 11-27-2018, 02:13 PM
Fossilized
Staff

outstanding job, save a couple of grand!

Quick Reply: habanero's 1996 4Runner Build-Up Thread