Dirtco's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread - Page 15 - YotaTech Forums

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dirtco's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-2011, 05:47 PM   #281  

Thanks space junk.
adrenalinepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:27 PM   #282  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocdropzone View Post
your attention to the small details is always inspiring
most folks would have chopped the flare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy View Post
Lookin good J. It looks even better now with a bumper on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt View Post
One word: Epic. Fantastic work man. That looks really good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayes View Post
That looks really good.
Thanks guys!
DIRTCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #283  

Quote:
Originally Posted by space-junk View Post
if you look back at the pics, you can see that he ordered them from superbrightleds.com...

man, awesome work... i wish that i could just come watch you while you fab this stuff... i know that you'd prolly say its pretty boring, but geez, its gorgeous and intriguing to me...
Thanks man! There is a lot of time that goes into a custom bumper; cutting, grinding, welding and a whole lot of staring to figure out what your going to do. But, if you get the chance to hang out with someone doing metal work there is a lot that you can learn from just watching.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #284  

That rear bumper is amazing. Its pretty much exactly what I was imagining for my 2nd gen 4runner with the factory tire swing out. Due to the hinges from it I cant buy a pre-fabbed bumper. But your design is like perfect!

Well Done!
2DoorJoRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #285  

Could you take a picture of your tailgate latch area looks with the tailgate open? I'm curious how that looks.

Also did your rear end drop with the added weight of the bumper? How heavy did it wind up being?

Once again it looks really great. Plus now if someone rear ends you they have a totalled car and you have a couple scratches to touch up.
JBurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #286  

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightyEightJoRunner View Post
That rear bumper is amazing. Its pretty much exactly what I was imagining for my 2nd gen 4runner with the factory tire swing out. Due to the hinges from it I cant buy a pre-fabbed bumper. But your design is like perfect!

Well Done!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBurt View Post
Could you take a picture of your tailgate latch area looks with the tailgate open? I'm curious how that looks.

Also did your rear end drop with the added weight of the bumper? How heavy did it wind up being?

Once again it looks really great. Plus now if someone rear ends you they have a totalled car and you have a couple scratches to touch up.
I would say the bumper is right around 100 pounds, but I never set it on a scale. I could move it around alone, but it took another person to help me set it in place between the frame rails (it was a tight fit). Yes, the rear of the 4Runner dropped with the weight of the bumper but I forgot to measure before I installed it. The rear suspension rides a lot smoother with the bumper installed, I also had a small u-joint vibration before I installed it (from the amount of lift & driveline angle) and now that is gone. The down side is that it lifted the front even more (like a teeter totter), so I really need to get started on the front bumper.

Here are a couple pictures with the tailgate open

Old 09-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #287  

Before I started on the side braces I needed to do something about the exhaust. I plan on routing it above the frame and having it exit by the bumper. While Iím not ready to take on that project, it was still in the way and looked horrible. Not to mention the first time I go wheeling it will get caught on something. So I broke out the sawzall

Before

After

Old 09-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #288  

I cleaned up and trimmed my frame plates, then installed them

Old 09-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #289  

Then I cut/fit the side braces and installed them

Iím really happy how they turned out, all the tubing flows nice and it should be more than strong enough. I still need to brace the inside of the frame rails, but I need to make some other decisions about the build before I do that.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:19 PM   #290  

Nice!
TinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:25 PM   #291  

looks good. is there any type of special paint you use?
ToyoTech559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 02:30 PM   #292  

fold down tire carrier coming soon? front bumper plans? oh and another reason I went with a tubular upper control arm was because i don't have the rubbing of the spindle on the coil anymore, and of course it doesn't rub anymore now that i have my bumper and winch up front... you should also do a diff drop to help out the angle of the CV joints. also i don't use my sway bars (i do plan on putting the front one to use once i can build quick disconnects) but the rear sway bar broke off the first time i went wheeling and got tangled in the coils... i've driven the truck up to whistler and back multiple times and to yakima and back (olympia is home base) and i don't feel like the rear sway bar is needed, or atleast its more of a hassle having it on specially when i want to wheel
paynemw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #293  

so the tube upper arms seems like the solution to the coil issue but you need the non uniball design. not sure if anyone makes them any other way

Last edited by ToyoTech559; 09-17-2011 at 04:14 PM.
ToyoTech559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 05:50 PM   #294  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Nice!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyoTech559 View Post
looks good. is there any type of special paint you use?
It's Rustolem Hammered spray paint, the label says it's black but it's more of a dark metallic grey with a little texture. It holds up better than any other spray paint I've used and it's easy to touch up.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:56 PM   #295  

Quote:
Originally Posted by paynemw View Post
fold down tire carrier coming soon? front bumper plans? oh and another reason I went with a tubular upper control arm was because i don't have the rubbing of the spindle on the coil anymore, and of course it doesn't rub anymore now that i have my bumper and winch up front... you should also do a diff drop to help out the angle of the CV joints. also i don't use my sway bars (i do plan on putting the front one to use once i can build quick disconnects) but the rear sway bar broke off the first time i went wheeling and got tangled in the coils... i've driven the truck up to whistler and back multiple times and to yakima and back (olympia is home base) and i don't feel like the rear sway bar is needed, or atleast its more of a hassle having it on specially when i want to wheel
Thanks for the input! I'm going to wait until I finish my bumpers, sliders, skidplates, etc before I replace the upper control arms. I would be replacing uniballs all the time with the road conditions we have up here. It’s an option, but there’s a couple other things I’m going to try first.

I ordered limit straps for the front; if Steve at SS is right about the upper control arm bushings and the lower shock bushing controlling the amount of down travel, the weight of my tires and wheels are going to wear those bushings out in no time. Each wheel is around 35 pounds and with a tire it’s close to 100 pounds, that’s a big difference from stock. I really think they are a good idea with my set-up.

I have a 1” diff drop, it comes with the SS1.2 kit. Thanks for the heads up!

I drove for a couple weeks without the front sway bar and it was scary! I really think it depends on what coils you are running, it seems like the guys w/o sway bars are running the stiffer OME coils. The coils that come in the SS kit are really soft. The kit also comes with rear sway bar drop brackets which I hope that will keep the links from breaking but we will see. I plan on making some sway bar disconnects, but that is down the road because I have more important things to take care of.

I’m not going to have a spare tire carrier on this 4Runner, it adds a lot of weight and makes getting into the cargo area a real PITA. With my beadlock wheels I don’t have to worry about loosing a bead, I also have air and a plug kit so if I get a nail/etc I can fix it. I could tear a sidewall, but that’s very unlikely with the kind of wheeling I will be doing in this rig and the fact I have Kevlar MTR’s (knock on wood). When I’m on longer and/or camping trips I will have the trailer, which has two 35’s on six lug wheels. The trailer will have a smaller spare, or two donuts, depending on space (there’s no room for a full size spare). I can always rob both tires from the trailer, park it on jack stands, and drive to the nearest town to get replacement tires if everything goes to hell.

Last edited by DIRTCO; 09-17-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:30 PM   #296  

I had a busy and productive day in the shopÖ

I got my Lotus lower control arm skid plates installed

Old 09-17-2011, 08:14 PM   #297  

I also painted the spoiler to match the rear bumper, it was starting to look little sad. Itís not perfect, but a lot better than it was.

Before

After
Old 09-17-2011, 08:30 PM   #298  

I switched the running light LEDís and turn signals back around to the stock configuration, the lower LEDís are brighter and better suited for a turn signal.

Before

After
Old 09-17-2011, 08:54 PM   #299  

You always need more light when youíre out on the trail or camping, so I added an extra LED light into the rear tailgate.

My camera exaggerated the light output, but here is the LED cargo light in the stock housing along with the extra LED light.

Old 09-17-2011, 09:45 PM   #300  
Fossilized
Staff

That is a great idea for interior lighting. Is that one from superbright led's too?

When I redid my taillights to LED I wanted to do my back up lights with that style but was amazed that the clear/white LEDs were so much more expensive. Your's lOok great, might just suck it up and go that route..

Looking forward to the front bumper
dropzone is offline   Reply With Quote