Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dirtco's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upper paint is 4P5 (Autumn Blaze), lower trim is K90 (Topaz) which has a few variants between years... but you oughta be fine with the 99-00 variant.

Or just a few $1 rattle-cans of flat black from WalMart will do the trick.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Clownmeat
Nice 4Runner, I did a 3" suspention and a 2" BL and my 33's still rub, almost bought 35's, but glad I didn't.
Thanks! Yeah, I know they are going to rub. It's just how much and what it will take to eliminate / minimize it. It might be a lot of work, but I think it will be worth once I'm done.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by paynemw
DirtCo... You don't understand how excited I am to see this thread! so you can def throw 35's with minimal/no rubbing. I run 34's on 3" of lift with no rub at full lock and tuck. I haven't tubbed or trimmed the fenders, even though that will happen before summers end. You just gotta sport the right bs and you'll be fine. if you rid yourself of the fender flares you can gain atleast an inch of clearance with trimming, and it will allow you the freedom to modify for bumpers. not sure if you've hashed out exactly what suspension you go with, but I'd highly suggest the stiffest of coils to help with the weight, and for some reason the OME stiffies are short, so finding an alternate rear coil is ideal to maximize the height you're gonna want. good luck man, and I'm stoked to see what you come up with!
Thanks! It should be a fun project and a super comfortable rig!

The 35's will be a tight fit but I'll make it work. The wheels I ordered have 3.5" of backspace, from what I have read that seems to be the sweet spot. It should clear the UCA but still tuck into the fender openning. I guess we will see.

I'm going to do whatever I can to keep the flares. It will keep the truck cleaner, keep the police happy (not that I've ever had an issue with that, but I would like to make more trips to Utah) and overall it will keep the nice clean look I what for the 4Runner. Again, we will have to wait and see once I get the tires and wheels on.

For the suspension I ordered the Sonoran Steel 1.2 kit. I did TON's of research and that kit seemed to be the best choice for where I live and the wheeling I do. I looked at the Icon set-up but I didn't like the idea of having to rebuild them every couple years, and where I live the mag-cloride/gravel would destroy them. I also loooked at the Toy-Tec Ultimate setup, but again my weather and road conditions would really put some wear on the threaded adjusters. The SS1.2 kit just seemed like the best choice for me. I've heard nothing but good things about the kit and the ride should be close to stock.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalinepirate
I heard coils from a fj cruiser gives you 2 inches of lift but that was drunk talk about a year ago if I remember right. Buddy at 4wp and I were brainstorming one night super late into the morning. J really dig the build!
Oh almost forgot was the reason I wrote on her check out 4wheel petersens august issue there is a 4runner on pg 86 that I totally dig the wheels and they are BL. Wink Wink!
I don't have that magazine in front of me, so I can't comment on the wheels. EDIT - I just saw the wheels you were talking about, they look nice.

But... Speaking of wheels, I do have my wheels ordered!

I don't want to spoil the surprise, but they are BLING! No more black steel wheels for me!

Last edited by DIRTCO; 06-12-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by wakkjobb
Upper paint is 4P5 (Autumn Blaze), lower trim is K90 (Topaz) which has a few variants between years... but you oughta be fine with the 99-00 variant.

Or just a few $1 rattle-cans of flat black from WalMart will do the trick.
Thanks for the paint codes! I might just rattle can them in silver Hammered paint, but I don't know yet. I'm going to focus on the drivetrain before I worry about armor and paint.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:10 PM

Bah! Everyone knows paint makes you wheel better.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:23 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
that is true. and don't forget the basic patterns to performance gains:

flames = more horsepower
stripes = faster
checkers = finishes first
logos = better performance
graphics = more popular

but really, when are we going to get to see more of this runner?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:22 PM

i believe SS sells a UCA that is trimmed, i would have gone with them if I didn't get the total chaos UCA's, but then again i'm real glad i dropped the money for the Total Chaos UCA's
Old 06-12-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by wakkjobb
Bah! Everyone knows paint makes you wheel better.
Originally Posted by irab88
that is true. and don't forget the basic patterns to performance gains:

flames = more horsepower
stripes = faster
checkers = finishes first
logos = better performance
graphics = more popular

but really, when are we going to get to see more of this runner?
In that case I'm going to suck at wheeling, the thing is going to be a dog, and everyone will hate me! Theres no way I'm putting any of that crap on this 4Runner, I'm going for a nice clean look.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by paynemw
i believe SS sells a UCA that is trimmed, i would have gone with them if I didn't get the total chaos UCA's, but then again i'm real glad i dropped the money for the Total Chaos UCA's
I thought about getting the Total Chaos or Camberg UCA's but all the crap they put on the roads here would destroy the uniballs.

I should have enough clearance with the wheels I bought, if not I will get the UCA's that Toytec sells. It looks like they use a sealed ball joint instead of a uniball.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:55 PM

Not the most exciting update, but it needed to be done. I took the supercharger off and sent it to Magnuson for a full rebuild. Now I'm without a vehicle for two weeks.

While the supercharger was off I decieded to replace the timing belt and water pump with factory Toyota stuff. It was done 20k ago, but they used cheap aftermarket parts. I didn't want to worry about it, so this was the time to do it.

Old belt

While the engine was torn apart and the coolant was drained I also installed a Toyota block heater. That will make me feel better about starting the 4Runner when its -35 degrees.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:01 PM

I did run into a surpise. I thought the D/S valve cover gasket was leaking and I ordered gaskets from Toyota, but after taking the SC off I found the leak was coming from a cracked hose behind the SC.

Last edited by DIRTCO; 06-12-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:13 PM

I like the block heater idea. Especially for up there. I know Kremmling gets COLD so Summit must get the same or colder.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
good time to check your valve clearance
Old 06-12-2011, 04:35 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I had to think long and hard about what a block heater was and why you would put one on. Where I live it around 40 in the middle of the night for about one month in the winter and thats as cold as it gets. Different mind set...
Old 06-12-2011, 08:26 PM

So which shocks are you going with in that package? I know you are a blisten fan.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:34 PM

Bling ? Wow you getting soft in your old age? Jk. Are they going to be allied or TR? You have me wanting to see those meats all wrapped up blinging out.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:44 PM

subscribed congrats on the 1st gen sale. i ended up buying an 06 tacoma (think i already had it when we discussed yours) anyways im in the process of building it up some and trying to decide rather i part ways with my 85 or not, anyways im itchin to see what you do with this redefining of a luxury crawler lol
Old 06-13-2011, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
I like the block heater idea. Especially for up there. I know Kremmling gets COLD so Summit must get the same or colder.
Originally Posted by JBurt
I had to think long and hard about what a block heater was and why you would put one on. Where I live it around 40 in the middle of the night for about one month in the winter and thats as cold as it gets. Different mind set...
Last winter it was -30 to -40 for a good week straight, the Turbo 4Runner started everytime but it wasn't very happy about it. This will put less wear on the vehicle and let it warm up faster. I only plan on using it when it gets really cold, but it will be nice to have.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:54 PM

So which shocks are you going with in that package? I know you are a blisten fan.
You are correct, it will have Bilsteins front and rear.

Bling ? Wow you getting soft in your old age? Jk. Are they going to be allied or TR? You have me wanting to see those meats all wrapped up blinging out.
Getting soft, I call it getting smart!

Beadlocks are a must! I do a ton of snow wheeling and was airing down my last set of tires to 4psi, that was without beadlocks. The wheels were reversed so I think that helped a lot, but it still worried me everytime.

I decided on 17's for the tires choices. I can get a 35" in a load range C (I didn't want a D or E, which your stuck with in the 16" wheels). And if I ever SAS down the road I can get 37's in a street friendly tire.

Steel vs Aluminum, that's a given. The steel wheels are heavy which rob power and make your brakes work harder. Also, every steel beadlock wheel I have seen leaks down after a couple days or weeks. The aluminum wheels are lighter, hold air better, don't rust and are shiny!

Quick Reply: Dirtco's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread