Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dirtco's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The wheels came in and I needed to check them for fitment issues. I figured they would fit fine, but I wanted to know for sure. They fit great, and look AWESOME! Not only do they look good, they are super beefy! I couldn't help taking a couple spy shots with my phone!

Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks good. you can run them on the train tracks till the rubbers are one haha
Old 06-22-2011, 08:52 PM

You tease I can't wait to see some rubbers wrapped around it!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:53 PM

What bs? 3.5?
Old 06-23-2011, 05:39 AM

Bling... Cory will be jealous....
Old 06-23-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
Now we can tease you -

"My eyes, Jeremiah, my eyes, the bling is blinding my eyes"

Those wheels are PIMP! Nice choice! Can't wait to see the MTR's on them and under your 4Runner.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalinepirate
What bs? 3.5?
Yes, 3.5".
Old 06-23-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tagged. I'm in to watch this get Dirtco'd.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by cubuff4runner
Yes and Yes, I can't wait to see the look on his face!

Originally Posted by Volcom
Now we can tease you -

"My eyes, Jeremiah, my eyes, the bling is blinding my eyes"

Those wheels are PIMP! Nice choice! Can't wait to see the MTR's on them and under your 4Runner.

I guess I'm going to have to get OSHA approved eye wear for my spotter, and anyone else in the "Bling" zone. I don't want anybody loosing an eye!

I can't wait to see the the tires and wheels on the 4Runner!
Old 06-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
those things look awesome..I have beadlock envy

edit-did you get those through 4x4 group buy?

Last edited by dropzone; 06-23-2011 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
those things look awesome..I have beadlock envy

edit-did you get those through 4x4 group buy?
I have always wanted beadlocks, but I could never justify spending the money. I had no interest in steel wheels for this rig, so I figured if I was spending "X" amount on wheels I might as well spend a little more and get what I really want.

I bought them direct from Trail Ready, took about 2-3 weeks to show up but it was worth the wait.

I can't wait to see how the MTR's work at 2 PSI in the snow!
Old 06-24-2011, 07:53 PM

Those are lookin real good. They are gonna look even better with some MTRs on them.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
Yes and Yes, I can't wait to see the look on his face!

I guess I'm going to have to get OSHA approved eye wear for my spotter, and anyone else in the "Bling" zone. I don't want anybody loosing an eye!

I can't wait to see the the tires and wheels on the 4Runner!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IakkbDOMS0
You can hear both DIRTCO and CUbuff4Runner giving Cory crap about the bling

Last edited by dropzone; 06-29-2011 at 05:55 PM. Reason: removed extra you tube code
Old 06-29-2011, 05:24 PM

That video is great!

Not only do I have shiny wheels, I also have shiny paint too!
Old 06-30-2011, 06:14 PM

It’s time for a update, and a little tech (instead of shiny wheel talk ).

I have a vehicle again! Not a whole lot of fun progress, but it needed to be done. I got the supercharger back from being rebuilt this last weekend and while I was in there I did a bunch of other stuff. The mileage is just under 117K, so it was time to care of some stuff.

The supercharger needed a full rebuild, they had to replace the whole nose cone and the main rotors. While I had the supercharger off I noticed that I did not have the IAC check valve, it’s the one way valve that goes between the throttle body and supercharger.

While researching this valve I found a link to the first gen supercharger installation instructions. After reading through it I believe the supercharger was installed when the vehicle was purchased new. I have the TRD timing belt cover that was pre-cut, along with the extra fuel pressure regulator. Both of these were phased out in time, and the valve was added later on.

http://www.pballandmore.com/Download...tall_Guide.pdf

While the supercharger was off I took care of some other stuff.

Timing belt – Toyota
Water Pump – Toyota
Plug Wires – Toyota
Spark Plugs – URD
PCV Valve – Toyota
Block Heater – Toyota
Intake Manifold Gasket – Toyota
Belts (All of them including the SC) – Toyota
New Toyota Coolant
TRD Throttle body gasket – The supercharger needs a special gasket, even if Toyota tells you otherwise. I ordered mine from trdparts4u.com.

Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Oil and Filter (Synthetic)
Misc. Vac Hoses

While everything was apart I installed an Airaid intake tube and did the deckplate modification to the stock air box. I am also in the process of installing the URD 7th injector kit. The plugs and injector are installed, I just need to install the box, wiring and fuel pump.

I also bought the URD 2.2 pulley but Magnuson installed the SC nut so tight I can't get it off!
Old 06-30-2011, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sounds good. should last you a long time and wont have to worry about it.
alittle of topic but what is the 7th injector for? more fuel for more boost? i couldnt really google much info on it. other than the kits they sell
Old 07-01-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
sounds good. should last you a long time and wont have to worry about it.
alittle of topic but what is the 7th injector for? more fuel for more boost? i couldnt really google much info on it. other than the kits they sell
Supercharged Toyota 3.4's run lean which causes detonation (very bad, decreases engine life); Toyota says the stock computer will compensate with extra fuel for the extra air but it really can't keep up.

From URD's website:

The URD 7th Injector Kit Kit for the Toyota 3.4 V6 equipped with the TRD Supercharger:

1.Increase Torque
2.Increase Horsepower
3.Eliminate High RPM Lean Out
4.Eliminate High Gear / Low RPM Ping
5.Provides the needed part throttle boost enrichment
We are often asked why we offer two different fuel kits for the TRD Supercharge for the 5VZ. Our original product when we started URD was the Fuel Upgrade Kit that replaces all 6 injectors with larger ones. That is a great kit, but we found that using a simpler approach and using a single additional injector works better. The 7th injector kit has better altitude compensation, it is easier to install, and the pre-loaded start up program is good for 99% of the trucks out there and almost never needs any additional tuning by the end user.

Some other benifits come from shooting the fuel through the supercharger. The Eaton 3 lob rotor used by TRD is not the most efficent available. The fuel going through the rotor housing helps provides a better seal between the rotors and the housing and reducing the back flow problem with the 3 lob rotor design and reduces the heating of the compressed air by reducing the backflow. The fuel also removes some existing heat from evaporation of the fuel in the heated compressed air. This can increase effective boost and cool the compressed air resulting in increased performance. This feature is very benificial when running higher boost pulleys like the URD SuperGrip Supercharger Pulleys.

URD recommends the URD 7th Injector kit for all 5VZ-FE applications that have the TRD Supercharger installed. The only vehicles that we recommend our original 6 injector fuel kit for are the older ones that are equiped with an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR). The reason for this is that we mount the 7th injecotr into the EGR port on the supercharger. If that port is occupied with an EGR valve the URD 7th Injector Kit will not fit.

URD's customers have long enjoyed benefits from URD's six injector Fuel Upgrade Kit including: increased horsepower & torque, smoothness, end user tunability, the elimination of high RPM lean out, and the elimination of high gear/low RPM ping. These benefits are present in URD's new kit too. Power gains are usually in the 30-40 hp range and sometimes higher depending on how lean your truck is currently running.

URD's 5VZ 7th Injector kit is fantastic for any truck running a higher boost pulley, or anyone who wants optimal truck performance.

Every vehicle is different and some have more issues with detonation than others, altitude plays a huge role in this. My 4Runner was bought new in Denver (5280 feet) and spent it's whole life there (from what I can tell). I also believe the supercharger was installed when the vehicle was new.

I live at 9500' in elevation and have not experianced any form of detonation (and I doubt I ever will around here), but I do plan on going on a lot of trips in this 4Runner and I will be dropping elevation while towing the camping trailer. With the lower miles of the vehicle, and the fact that it's been at altitude it's whole life I feel that the engine is in good shape and the URD kit is an investment towards the life of the engine. (and I get more power! )
Old 07-01-2011, 04:58 PM

I got my Scangauge II installed, I mounted it where the ashtray goes. I had to trim a little but you can't tell once it's in there. I used 3M molding tape (red backing) to hold it in place.

This is by far one of the coolest little gadgets to have! I can't believe all the stuff this thing does.

I found this thread on IH8MUD (I think the credit goes to http://www.toyota-4runner.org/) about reading automatic transmission temps. From what I have read it only works on 99-02 3rd Gen 4Runners, along with other Toyotas in that time frame but I really don't know. It did work on my 4Runner, it seems a little slow compared to my old Autometer gauge in the Turbo 4Runner but it does the job and saves me some time and money; overall I'm very happy!

ATF X-Gauge Codes:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/95-gen-toyot...uto-trans.html

I had planned on, and bought, an Autometer trans temp gauge that I was going to install in front of the T-case lever. Well, I don't need two gauges so I'm going to return the Autometer and I installed my SPOT in that location. The best part is that it still gets "line of sight" and I don't have to remove it from it's holder to send messages.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:19 PM

subscribed. i loved your front bumper on your 86. cant wait to see how this pup turns out
Old 07-11-2011, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
You are correct, I'll see you in about 2 months!

Thanks!
I should be there. I dont know if I can make it to Holy Cross, but some days are better than none (like last year). What trails are you running on Saturday? My fiance might be with me and I don't think carnage would be a good Idea (even though I am finally up for trying it)

Quick Reply: Dirtco's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread