Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dirtco's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColoradoToy91
I should be there. I dont know if I can make it to Holy Cross, but some days are better than none (like last year). What trails are you running on Saturday? My fiance might be with me and I don't think carnage would be a good Idea (even though I am finally up for trying it)
Chicks dig Scars. Everyone knows this...
Old 07-12-2011, 04:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by tlrskunk
Chicks dig Scars. Everyone knows this...
Just not scars on us....
Old 07-12-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by habanero
Just not scars on us....
Are you a woman? this statement confuses me...
Old 07-12-2011, 09:41 AM

Dirtco,

What trail are you hitting up on Friday?
Old 07-12-2011, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Originally Posted by tlrskunk
Are you a woman? this statement confuses me...
Well I ain't a dude!

(siggy)
Old 07-12-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by 87hillbillyoter
subscribed. i loved your front bumper on your 86. cant wait to see how this pup turns out
Thanks! Me too, I just need to get some other stuff done before I can start on it.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:03 PM

I should be there. I dont know if I can make it to Holy Cross, but some days are better than none (like last year). What trails are you running on Saturday? My fiance might be with me and I don't think carnage would be a good Idea (even though I am finally up for trying it)
Depending how much she has wheeled, Carnage could be a bad idea. I took Laura up Carnage on one of her first trips and it almost ruined wheeling for her. I would stick to a scenic mild or moderate trail, save Carnage for when she's ready for it.

It's going to be pushing it to get the 4Runner ready for this trip. In all reality, Saturday will most likey be the first time I ever wheel it (if it's ready) and it won't have sliders, skidplates or bumpers yet. I was thinking something easy like Hancock Pass, Tin Cup or MAYBE Grizzly Lake (if I've taken it for a shake down run before hand).

Originally Posted by E_ROCK
Dirtco,

What trail are you hitting up on Friday?
I will be running Holy Cross, but only as a passenger. The 4Runner won't be ready for that trail so I will find an open seat to ride in. What about you?
Old 07-12-2011, 07:07 PM

subscribed! I love everything about your build!
Old 07-12-2011, 07:35 PM

I guess it's time for a update on the 4Runner.

I've been working really hard to get it ready for the Jambo. I quit working on the trailer to focus on the 4Runner (the trailer won't drive itself). I've been making good progress but it's never fast enough, and I refuse to hurry or half ass anything. If I can wheel it that would be great, but if not then there's always next year. If I do make it I will be running the mild stuff or riding shotgun on the better trails.

I got the URD 7th injector kit installed (still need to install the fuel pump). I mounted the magic black box in the glove box where it's easy to get to.

I also installed the suspension this weekend. I went with the Sonoran Steel 1.2 kit, and I got the HD 1/4" wall lower control arms. It's a little high in the rear but that's because ditched the spare tire and hitch, it will sit lower once I get my CO2 tank and gear installed. Once I build a rear bumper it should sit close to level.

Old 07-12-2011, 07:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Needs 35s...like right now.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very nice lift. getting excited to see the wheels on
Old 07-12-2011, 08:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Awesome build!
Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 PM

subscribed.
only a matter of time before something on this rig gets fab'd up
i like the attention to detail, im sure nothing will be over-looked
great build so far
Old 07-13-2011, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
I will be running Holy Cross, but only as a passenger. The 4Runner won't be ready for that trail so I will find an open seat to ride in. What about you?
I was hoping to run something else. I have been on Holy Cross a bunch. There are lots of scenic trails in that area that I haven't been to and was hoping joy with somebody else. I figured you weren't Holy Cross, but were heading out somewhere.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:09 AM

Saturday's Carnage run will most likely be a slow day due to the # of rigs running. I'm guessing there will be 10 rigs on Carnage. I knew she wasn't all that impressed with the speed we were making on Liberty last Nov. I'm willing to guess that Carnage could turn into that real quick if rigs start breaking down. I agree with DIRTCO, take her on something scenic (maybe Wheeler, Iron Chest, or Grizzly Lake.

Originally Posted by DIRTCO

Looks killer!! Nice work J! Can't wait to see the 35's under it on the bling wheels. How was the suspension install? How does it drive with the new suspension?

I was hoping to run something else. I have been on Holy Cross a bunch. There are lots of scenic trails in that area that I haven't been to and was hoping joy with somebody else. I figured you weren't Holy Cross, but were heading out somewhere.
Holy Cross will most likely be crowded again this year. We had 26 rigs on HC last year. It's going to be a slow day but for me, it's worth it since I only get a chance to run HC once a year. Post up on the main Jambo thread about seeing if somebody else wants to run something scenic on Friday. You might have some takers. Or you can run HC and pull me off of the only log on the trail again
Old 07-13-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Zelephant
Needs 35s...like right now.
Yes, Yes it does!

Originally Posted by ToyoTech559
very nice lift. getting excited to see the wheels on
Me too!

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
Awesome build!
Thanks!
Old 07-13-2011, 03:48 PM

I'll run something else with you on Friday Eric. I figured everyone would be on Holy Cross so that was my plan too. I've heard that there are a lot of cool trails in the Shrine Pass / Camp Hale area which is close to Holy Cross. None of them are real hard but they are scenic and less traffic. Maybe we'll even find some snow!

Maybe something like McAllister Gulch, Ptarmigan Pass or Lime Creek? I'm open to other ideas too.

Last edited by DIRTCO; 07-13-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by gary_the_4runner
subscribed.
only a matter of time before something on this rig gets fab'd up
i like the attention to detail, im sure nothing will be over-looked
great build so far
Thanks! I can't wait to get some bumpers / sliders made, and get this thing out on the trail.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Volcom
Looks killer!! Nice work J! Can't wait to see the 35's under it on the bling wheels. How was the suspension install? How does it drive with the new suspension?
Thanks Aaron!

These 35's? ...

The install was pretty easy, but I also have a lift to use. The instructions were good and easy to follow. The lower control arms were the worst part, but once I got everything lined up they went right in.

The suspension rides great, nice and soft. I would say better than stock. I've only run into two issues with the ride, and both of them will fix themselves. First, driving with this much lift on stock size tires is scary! It's really squirly and tippy. You also get some funny looks from people.

Second, I removed the front sway bar to see what it would be like but it's going to have to go back on. The front suspension does some odd stuff when going around turns and when making lane changes. I might make some disconnects for the trail. I'm not real concerned about the extra travel but it would be nice to not have the suspension fight itself all the time, it should also make for a smoother ride on the rougher rocky trails.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:27 AM

enough teasing already!
put these dang shoes on!

Quick Reply: Dirtco's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread