Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dirtco's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dirtco, seriously man. TOP NOTCH. That thing compliments the rig so well and looks sturdy as can be to boot!

Major props man. Be proud.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:25 PM

bumper = awesome. i wonder why i didn't have issues with my stock spindles and the lift...hopefully the limiting straps work wonders. are you going to leave your rear sway bar on? I can't remember if you had a plan for that or not
Old 10-02-2011, 08:45 PM

The new winch in it’s home; I decided to cut the lower bar out of the grille for some extra room. It brought the bumper/winch in towards the vehicle a good 3”- 4”.

And the Poly Performance fairlead

Old 10-02-2011, 09:12 PM

I also made some brackets for my lights. I’m going to use Rigid Industries Dually D2 Amber lights in this location, they should cut through the snow and be a bright fog light. I made a light out of cardboard, that way I knew it would fit before I ordered a pair.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:05 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Rig is looking amazing! if you ever get bored and are (for some reason) near me, ill let you work on my truck...

and, i hope you dont mind, but after seeing your tire/wheel combo i cant stop thinking about them... im starting to save up money to buy a set for myself...
Old 10-03-2011, 12:44 PM

Seriously Baller!!!

J you going to do the size tube to the main hoop this time? I totally dig it!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:47 PM

Only reason I asked is because it looks super clean.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why doesn't this bumper have the Angry Bumper headlight hoops? I gotta admit, I'm disappointed.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:48 PM

DAMN! 12k winch thats beef! i followed your last build Dirtco so this should be good…. Subscribed!
Old 10-04-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Zelephant
Why doesn't this bumper have the Angry Bumper headlight hoops? I gotta admit, I'm disappointed.
I talked to him Sunday after he got done with the bumper. No headlight hoops for this build. He said they looked funny trying to keep them out of the bigger 3rd gen headlights and trying to keep it flowing with the bodylines. Since this isn't going to be a hardcore rockcrawler like his last 2 4Runners, he felt they weren't going to be needed.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:35 AM

Bumper turned out killer DIRTCO!!! I wouldn't expect anything less from you

Time for some sliders and it's ready for some wheeling!!
Old 10-04-2011, 08:53 AM

Bumper is BA. Looks really good with that up there
Old 10-04-2011, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Don't know why I didn't even think of using those for rear lighting. I have 10 similar lights (still in a drawer) I picked up off eBay: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=01772147553
a hair cheaper than the oznium lights.

They do put out a ton of light,

Nice thing is since they hardly pull any power they won't need a relay.

Seeing how fast you are moving on your truck is great motivation for the rest of us

Starting on the front bumper this weekend?
Off topic, but ocdropzone how do these lights cast their light? flood? They are the perfect size for fog lights in the stock front bumber of my 99.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:14 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Volcom! Makes sense.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 PM

Haha that crossed my mind too! Both look sexy but that angry look is just so damn mean lookin, I dig it!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:40 PM

Wow your rig looks awesome, great work on the bumpers and everything. Makes me wish I was better at welding
Old 10-04-2011, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by EightyEightJoRunner
Dirtco, seriously man. TOP NOTCH. That thing compliments the rig so well and looks sturdy as can be to boot!

Major props man. Be proud.
Thanks for the awesome compliment! It was a lot of work to get all the tubing to flow with the body lines, but also protect the body as much as possible. The pre-runner bar was tricky because I wanted it to follow the grille. The first one I made matched the grille perfect when I held it up to it, but because the bumper sets out from the grille it throws off the angle and it didn’t match when you looked at it from the front. The next one came out better.

Originally Posted by paynemw
bumper = awesome. i wonder why i didn't have issues with my stock spindles and the lift...hopefully the limiting straps work wonders. are you going to leave your rear sway bar on? I can't remember if you had a plan for that or not
Thanks! Are you running the front Tundra coils? They are wider and cause the interference, that’s what the SS1.2 kit comes with. The limit straps should do the job, I just wonder how they will react to river crossings (I hope they don’t stretch when wet), snow wheeling and general winter driving. I don’t mind replacing them once a year if I need too, and the occasional adjustment. I just don’t want to be adjusting them all the time.

I plan to keep the rear sway bar if I can, the SS1.2 kit comes with drop brackets and I installed some new polyurethane bushings. I’ve heard of people ripping/stripping the nut off the sway bar link, so I added another for a little extra strength. We’ll see how long it lasts…

Originally Posted by space-junk
Rig is looking amazing! if you ever get bored and are (for some reason) near me, ill let you work on my truck...

and, i hope you dont mind, but after seeing your tire/wheel combo i cant stop thinking about them... im starting to save up money to buy a set for myself...
Thanks man!

I don’t mind at all! You should also look at the Raceline Monster beadlock wheels. I went back and forth but I chose the TR wheels for the simple, clean look of them.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalinepirate
Seriously Baller!!!

J you going to do the size tube to the main hoop this time? I totally dig it!
Originally Posted by Z's Confederate Toy
Bumper is BA. Looks really good with that up there
Thanks guys I can't wait to get this out on the trail, I hope to see you out there!

Originally Posted by Doug18
Wow your rig looks awesome, great work on the bumpers and everything. Makes me wish I was better at welding
Thanks! Practice, Practice, Practice; welding is one of those things that the more you do it the better you get.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by EightyEightJoRunner
Haha that crossed my mind too! Both look sexy but that angry look is just so damn mean lookin, I dig it!
Originally Posted by Volcom
I talked to him Sunday after he got done with the bumper. No headlight hoops for this build. He said they looked funny trying to keep them out of the bigger 3rd gen headlights and trying to keep it flowing with the bodylines. Since this isn't going to be a hardcore rockcrawler like his last 2 4Runners, he felt they weren't going to be needed.
I knew this was going to happen!

Volcom mentioned all the issues and reasons behind why I did not add them (Thanks for the reply, I’ve been too busy to check back on the thread). I planned on having them, but as the bumper progressed they just didn’t fit the way I liked. I know I could get them to look cool from the front, but from every other angle they looked stupid and were in the way.

Here’s a paint picture of what I’m talking about:

I could have brought the pre-runner bar in to make the distance closer to the headlights, but I wanted the bumper to stick out a bit for stuff like this:

Old 10-04-2011, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ah OK, I understand. Still a letdown, though, I loved the bumper on the old 4Runner. When I build my own front bumper, I will definitely be using Angry Bumper headlight hoops. Thanks for the inspiration!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dirtco's 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread