Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

need Landcruiser advice!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
need Landcruiser advice!!!

I have always loved FZJ80's and today i stumbled on the perfect one and need some quick advice. It is a 1996 Maroon (one of my favorite colors) with 79,000 miles, loaded out with the front and rear differential locks and 3rd row seating. it isn't in perfect shape but is in good shape. it has upgraded speakers and is at stock height with 285/75/16 bfg all terrains and a towing package. it appears to have been well maintained, all maintanence records were in it as well as the originial sales invoice where the guy spent nearly $50,000 on it. anyway other than the plastic "woodgrain" not being perfect, a small scuff on the right front corner of the bumper (no dent) and a small dent on the rear hatch it seems perfect. i drove it and it runs out nice and smooth and for an 8 year old vehicle seems tight. basically i am looking for advice on the price, it is at a dealership so automatically i am going to have to pay the 7% sales tax. they had it stickered at $17,900 (KBB Retail price)(out of the question), priced it to me at $16,900. i was in a hurry then so i went home checked out some info and went back and drove it, after i drove it the salesman talked to his boss and said $15,500 (i still hadn't brought up pricing or what i was willing to pay yet). At this point the salesman asked me what i was willing to pay for it and i told him that KBB private party price was $12,900 and i was looking to stay around that range since i would have to sell my 4runner and i didn't want to get back into another car loan. he told me to come back in the morning and drive it again and he would talk to his boss who was "cool as he_-" and see what he could do.

my hangup is that i owe about $1000 on my 1997 4runner limited, but it has 135,000 miles on it but is in perfect shape mechanically, etc. it also has OME suspension and the tires in my sig, i could also put it all back to stock to sell it if i needed to.

do you think i could get $12,500 for my 4runner?
what do you think the landcruiser is worth?
Old 03-26-2004, 07:44 PM
Contributing Member

If you really want it, run a Carfax and take it to a Toyota dealer for a thorough pre-purchase inspection unless you really know what you're looking for. Mileage is good for the year, options are excellent (lockers are semi-rare), and a maintenance record is a big plus. Check 4Lo and FF/RR locker engagement carefully. The diff locker electrical actuators are a high failure rate item, but there are rebuild instructions on the 'net.

There were no recalls, one minor TSB, the rest were mostly dealer repair advisories. If the woodgrain bugs you, have Classic SoftTrim replace everything with their California Walnut package for $400.

As for price, it depends on where you live. They're cheap and plentiful in AZ, CA and TX, but expensive and scarce here in OR. Good that you hit them with KBB pricing. I say go back for another drive, but walk away. Wait for your phone to start ringing and play for a few more days. They'll become more compliant towards 3/31, especially in the afternoon!

If it's straight, no fire/flood/collision/theft/major repairs, it sounds like pursuing IF you can get your price for the 'Runner. I've no idea what that's worth, but the FJ sounds good in the $15K area. Here, it could be an easy $17K truck. My 2¢.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:18 PM

thanks for the advice, i am not going to make this an impulse buy! i am going to go back tomorrow and take it for a ride, they told me i could take it for as long as i want cause i want to go and cruise the highway in it for a bit since that is where i spend a lot of my time. i am familiar with the car business, my dad owned a used carlot for twenty years before he sold it and retired a couple years ago, and i worked for carmax for 3 years. if i replaced the woodgrain it wouldn't be with more wood, i can't stand wood in cars whether it is real or fake, it is one of my biggest complaints about my limited.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
First off, i think the LC is worth every penny of 12,5. Perhaps even closer to 15. So if you can get it for 12,5 and it's as nice as you say it is, I'd go for it. Your truck... I'd probably value it more around 10K. Just my experience of noticing prices lately. Good luck with whatevery you decide.
Old 03-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As long as you get out of debt as fast as possible, I say do what will make you happy. Keep in mind that the Landbruiser is going to be significantly slower than your Runner, and they really suck the gas - especially for an inline 6. Regardless, I like em and think they are cool.

Looks like B17R has some great advice for you.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:31 PM

i thought it would be slower too, but after driving the thing it easily had as much get up and go aorund town as my 4runner does. gas mileage won't be as great but it has a much more torquey and linear powerband than my 4runner.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:45 AM
Contributing Member

It is rare to see one with miles that low. If everything checks out, I would go for it. Most of the cruisers I see here in AL or the southeast in general have 150k+, especially on a '96.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:21 AM

yeah, i agree, that is my biggest interest in it, i mean it is a year older than what i have now but it has 55,000 less miles on it. I mean it is in a small town, Statesboro, was bought in Savannah new (60 miles away) and has been a one owner vehicle, it belonged to a guy that owns a bunch of local convenience stores.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:14 AM
Contributing Member

Do you know the prev. owner? Or do you feel comfortable looking him up and talking to him about it? Maybe he can tell you any "quirks" or it really has 100K more or something. Might tell you what they gave him for it (good to know for bargaining)
Old 03-27-2004, 11:22 AM

Yep, get hold of the previous owner if you can to get all the possible info before you purchase. Also gasprices are high these days and you will burn a lot more in the LC.
C
Old 03-27-2004, 02:01 PM

i spent a few hours today cruising around in the landcruiser, it really does run and drive great and is really smooth. the BFG all terrains are so much quieter than the mud terrains on my 4runner, or maybe the landcruiser just has better insulation. anyway, i told them that i would be intersted in it at $13,000 but not much more since i would be paying sales tax and everything else on it. that price comes from KBB private party sales for fair condition (i would consider this above fair but its got a dent that would be a pain to fix on the tailgate and some other nickel and dime stuff and the "wood" interior trim needs to be replaced). so i have some room to haggle with them and just some other little things that i noticed.

i am still not sure if i like it that much more than my 4runner, i think i would rather spend the difference in more mods or maybe save it. but i like it, and if they are cool with my lowball offer i just may go for it.
Old 03-27-2004, 03:57 PM

I almost bought one but I got a 4runner instead. A couple of my fraternity brothers went to Woodstock high school. Go for it and get the LC.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:39 PM

who are they? and where do you go to school? i went to woodstock high school.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:18 PM

go here they know all
Old 03-27-2004, 07:25 PM

been there for awhile now! thanks!