Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Mandrel bent tailpipes

Old 01-21-2005, 08:16 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Mandrel bent tailpipes

Does anyone know where I can buy a stock shape tailpipe with mandrel bends and in 2" instead of the stock 1.75"? Can a muffler shop build one without doing the full install? If I could get a tailpipe then it would make the fabrication of my new exhaust a lot easier. Does anyone know of a place in the San Francisco Bay area or the Sacramento area with a mandrel bender?
Old 01-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not too many places do mandrel bending.. honestly, its great, but i mean it isnt necessary.. jsut het a shop do the regular bends.. it wont drastically make a performance difference as you arent running some super souped up engine where you need t ospend the extra money to get every little amount of power possible...
Old 01-21-2005, 08:50 PM

How much more power will mandrel bends create with a stock 22R? Will it be noticable with everyday driving?

Last edited by the_supernerd; 01-21-2005 at 09:07 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:09 PM
Banned

honestly with a stock engine you wont notice any difference
Old 01-21-2005, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the info. I saw on a previous post that you recommended a muffler shop bending a tailpipe over buying a stock V6 tailpipe from an auto parts store. What is the difference between those?
Old 01-21-2005, 09:28 PM
Banned

one is made for your truck on your truck the otehr isnt... the v6 and the 4 cyl most likely had differnt orientations for the exhuast, by that i mean mouning points.. in the 6 cyl everything is most likely further back becasue there needs to be room for the Y pipe then the cat then the muffler... your truck has a stright exhuast from the left side of the truck straight back
Old 01-21-2005, 09:36 PM

I read something at http://www.off-road.com/toyota/cheaptricks/exhaust/ that says it will fit from the cat back, with the exception of what sounds like flange.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Banned

then it doesnt fit and you will need it modified anyways... not to sound liek a complete jerk, but why are you so deadset about getting it? i mean really... i keep typing and giving you advice, but its basically you are spitting in my face..... im starting to not see the point of me even responding.....
Old 01-21-2005, 09:45 PM
Banned

if you want a stock v6 pipe so badly, then get one
Old 01-21-2005, 10:17 PM

What are you talking about? I just wanted to cover all of the bases before I bought one and you seemed to know a lot more about it than I do. It seemed like a good cheap alternative to a muffler shop. I reviewed this posting and I think I only had 2 questions about it. The rest were about different kinds of bends. I was originally thinking about the V6 pipe, but you sounded like you know what you are talking about so I was starting to lean the other way. That last post of mine was to show you the information that it will fit, so basically, it was a question about the bends of it. Maybe I did not make myself clear enough in that last post.

Last edited by the_supernerd; 01-21-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:26 PM
Banned

the stock teailpipes have crappy bends, they arent mandrel either, but way crappier than the muffler shops do... it jsut to me sounded liek you kept asking over and over and over again about the stock v6 pipe.... i had a muffler installed on my explroer a couple years ago with a new pipe out the back of 2.5" on my explorer.. i supplied the muffler and they only charged me $95 to install it and get the custom pipe out in the design i wanted it in, i had it exit in a non stock location
Old 01-21-2005, 10:28 PM

That was the answer I was looking for, thank you. Just for your information, now I will probably NOT be getting a V6 pipe.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by the_supernerd
Does anyone know where I can buy a stock shape tailpipe with mandrel bends and in 2" instead of the stock 1.75"? Can a muffler shop build one without doing the full install? If I could get a tailpipe then it would make the fabrication of my new exhaust a lot easier. Does anyone know of a place in the San Francisco Bay area or the Sacramento area with a mandrel bender?
I doubt you'll be able to find a pre (mandrel bent) pipe to fit your truck. Most pre bent pipes are not mandrel bent. If I were you, I'd look in the phone book for muffler shops and call around to see what they can do for you. You should be able to have a shop bend you a pipe without the full install. I know I could here in Reno anyway. You'll probably have better luck with smaller privately owned shops. Stay away from midas and mieneke. They are not performance oriented IMO. Mandrel bent pipes are FAR less constrictive than that pre-bent crap. I say go for it. If you are putting together an exhuast system, you'd have to be insane to go with anything other than mandrel bends.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:32 PM
Banned

good
Old 01-21-2005, 11:26 PM

FYI, most muffler shops can order mandrel U-bends which can be cut and welded to form an exhaust pipe. I got a few for various projects. You can also order them in stainless from mail order places like JC Whitney, Summit, or Jegs.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:03 AM

Mandrel bends will not get you ninmal if no performace gains . By the time you get to the tail pipe pretty any performace improvements are gone . Save the cash and get a header or a hi flow cat . If you want real cheap inprovement get a K&N filter .That will yield more results than your tail pipe.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.bobsmuffler.com/index.html , in bakersfeild. best i can do.

from that site:

These are some of the myths that you will hear from our competitors.

1. Myth-You don't need mandrel bending unless you have a nascar running
800+ horsepower.

Truth-Mandrel bending alone will add 3-5% more horsepower and torque.

2. Myth-Your motor is to small for mandrel bending to make any difference.

Truth-It doesn't matter what size your motor is you will still get a
3-5% gain in horsepower & torque. Obviously the bigger the motor, and
the more horsepower you have, the larger the gains.

Press Bent
Mandrel Bent

3. Myth-We will only be making a few small bends so you don't need
mandrel bending.

Truth-(We will be using 3" tubing as our example) It doesn't matter if
you bend a pipe 1 degree or 180 degrees you will still smash the pipe
1/2 inch. A press bender will crush the pipe before it starts bending.

4. Myth-We will only be putting 1 bend in the pipe so you don't need
mandrel bending.

Truth-If you have 3" tubing that is press bent it will smash 1/2 inch at
the center of the bend. At that point you have 21/2" flow instead of
3". It doesn't matter if you have one bend or five bends you still have
21/2" flow.

5. Myth-My vehicle has press bending and it runs just fine.

Truth-This statement is my favorite. Since the muffler shop owner
doesn't have a mandrel bender, and has a press bent system on his
vehicle, he assumes that you will believe a smashed pipe will flow
better than a pipe that isn't smashed. Mandrel bending will give you
the most power possible.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:18 AM

After reading where you received your information .I would realy consider what is myth or reality . A muffler shop has alot to gain selling you mandrel bent pipes . The most power loss in the exit form the engine and the cat .By the time gases exit the cat not alot can be done . Adding 2 inch pipe after the cat that is 1.75 inch will do nothing . By the time gases exit the cat they have cooled of cosiderably . There is no need for a larger pipe . People telling you that it will help are selling you parts . If you could get 3-5% extra horsepower from a namdrel bent tailpipe .All sport car manufacturers would have them .If you check most don`t .

The most power gain in the exhaust is in the header, cat and muffler . The tailpipe is the last thing I would worry about .
Old 01-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Mandrel bending machines are expensive. I worked for an aerospace company that had them. It is an art to itself. Car manufacturers use press bending because it is easier to automate. Mandrel bending is of course uniform, that is why it is used in the aerospace industry. All jet engines on all planes are mandrel bent. I guess which to use, mandrel bending is more expensive, but it will probably bet you slightly more Hp out of your engine.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:41 PM

Sounds like mandrel bends are not worth the money for my truck. I will call some local muffler shops and see what they will do. I am going to stay with 2" because I already have my muffler, which is for 2", and I will probably get a header and cat in the future, so then it will match. Thanks for all of the information.