Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

some eletrical probems...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 04:11 PM
Boosted Chemsit

some eletrical probems...

Its been real cold here for the last 2 weeks (single digets and teens) and some new problem started coming up. In the am the brake light comes on ad goes off all morning, the ebrake is fine and hte fluid level is perfect, and ideas?

This next problem just started today. When i turn the headlights to just marker lights, nothing, its like they are off. If i goto full headlights, some time still nothing or just headlgihts and no marker lights. Now when i put the left signal on, the lights die. IF i wiggle the switch they come on and off. Sound like a switch, but maybe its something else? and ideas or any ideas where i can get a cheep switch (no good yards around here)

thanks in advance

Justin

ps

94 yota hilux 22re 4x4 in case it matters
Old 01-21-2005, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
turn signal

As far as the brake light - is it the anti-lock light that blinks? There are the service codes for it that would help narrow down what's happening.

For the headlights, it sounds like it might be a bad ground and there just isn't enough juice to power everything. Since the turn signal causes a little drain on the battery, there might be enough of a drain to shut off the lights. It almost sounds like the battery ground might be the culprit. There is a thread on here with a nice writeup on how to replace the ground cable - it also describes some more symptoms...

I did have a Ford that had a bad wiring harness in the steering column. When I would use the turn signal, the whole car would "hiccup"/almost die. Apparently the sheathing on some of the wiring had worn through and would short out when the turn signal was used.

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2005, 04:19 AM
Boosted Chemsit

no abs brakes, but the parking lights dont work at all only when the headlights work, ill try the ground, whats that link
Old 01-22-2005, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmmm

ok - so it is starting to sound like the switch might be a possibility too. As far as places to get cheap parts to try, I am not sure where you are located, but www.yotayard.com has a great selection of used parts and their pricing is decent.

Here is the thread for the ground wire:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ht=ground+wire

Very good read and might give you some more ideas.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:29 PM
Boosted Chemsit

Thumbs up

thanks for the info man, i appreciate it