Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Loose Wobbly Front Wheel Problem, 3rd gen

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2004, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loose Wobbly Front Wheel Problem, 3rd gen

I recently rotated my tires and noticed that my RF wheel had some play in it. i immediately thought it was the wheel bearing, but then i noticed a couple of weeks later that the cv boot is torn, and have no idea for how long. my question is would it be possible for the wheel to wobble because of the axle being messed up with the bearing still being good???????????
Old 08-22-2004, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by monkeynuts
I recently rotated my tires and noticed that my RF wheel had some play in it. i immediately thought it was the wheel bearing, but then i noticed a couple of weeks later that the cv boot is torn, and have no idea for how long. my question is would it be possible for the wheel to wobble because of the axle being messed up with the bearing still being good???????????
The torn boot in the CV joint or a bad cv joint will not cause play in the wheel itself. Your problem could be wheel bearing, ball joints, or tie rod end play. The CV boot should be fixed however, before the CV joint fails, unless it is too late. Then the CV needs to be rebuilt or axle replaced.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:44 PM

itstherackdude

I'd bet my bigger ball joint that your problem is the steering rack. My FR started to do the same thing at around 50k. I thought it was the outer joint but noticed that the entire steering rod moved in and out 1/2". The rack mounts are sloppy too.
Old 08-22-2004, 04:58 PM

My front wheel would shake when I had worn out tie rod ball joint.
Old 05-22-2005, 01:31 PM

Did you ever get this fixed?
I seem to have the same problem.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:36 PM

yes, i got it fixed, a headache and a half. it ended up being an extremely worn out wheel bearing, which more than likely was a result of an overtightened cv axle i replaced and probably overtorqued. if your truck is under warranty, it is covered. mine was covered by the toyota certified used car warranty.

the cost of the repair without the warranty would have been approximately $1,800 according to the dealer.

BUT...apparently toyota knows that these parts are not supposed to fail, so when the dealer contacted toyota to get the authorization to repair it, the first thing toyota asked the dealer was if my truck had been modified in any way. the dealer was pretty cool with me and told the dealer it was not modified, otherwise the repir would have been out of my pocket and any repairs from then on would not be covered either. so if it's under warranty, and you take it to the dealer, make sure the dealer will cover for you and say the thing is not modified.

-scott
Old 05-24-2005, 04:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes, i got it fixed, a headache and a half. it ended up being an extremely worn out wheel bearing, which more than likely was a result of an overtightened cv axle i replaced and probably overtorqued. if your truck is under warranty, it is covered. mine was covered by the toyota certified used car warranty.

the cost of the repair without the warranty would have been approximately $1,800 according to the dealer.

BUT...apparently toyota knows that these parts are not supposed to fail, so when the dealer contacted toyota to get the authorization to repair it, the first thing toyota asked the dealer was if my truck had been modified in any way. the dealer was pretty cool with me and told the dealer it was not modified, otherwise the repir would have been out of my pocket and any repairs from then on would not be covered either. so if it's under warranty, and you take it to the dealer, make sure the dealer will cover for you and say the thing is not modified.

-scott
Modified in what way?
Even a modified vehicle should be covered under the warranty via the Magnusson-Moss Act.
They can't deny the claim if you are forceful about it.

http://www.advanceautoparts.com/engl...0021001aw.html
Old 05-24-2005, 09:20 AM

oh i never knoew about anything liike that, is it only for a certain state or is it countrywide? well the dealer said that the lift would change all the geometry of the front en and void the warranty for all parts that could be affected by it, so basically everthing in the suspension.

i also just had the dealer change my maf sensor under warranty and they said that the dealer wuld deny the claim if they knew i had a TRD air filter. i thought that it was just stupid but they said that the sensor was fouled by the oil on the filter and for that toyota wouldn't cover it since it's not a factory spec'd part.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh i never knoew about anything liike that, is it only for a certain state or is it countrywide? well the dealer said that the lift would change all the geometry of the front en and void the warranty for all parts that could be affected by it, so basically everthing in the suspension.

i also just had the dealer change my maf sensor under warranty and they said that the dealer wuld deny the claim if they knew i had a TRD air filter. i thought that it was just stupid but they said that the sensor was fouled by the oil on the filter and for that toyota wouldn't cover it since it's not a factory spec'd part.
It is country-wide because it is a federal act (law). The act basically says that the burden of proof is on the manufacturer in a warranty issue (ie they must proove that the part you put on directly caused the failure) and that they can't void thier warranty to you just on the basis of using aftermarket (non OEM) parts alone.

In the case of the MAF sensor the same thing applies. They were not really cutting you a deal by covering it under warranty because the burden of proof in on them to show that it was the filter oil and nothing else which caused the MAF to fail (which is hard to do and would be far cheaper for them not to fight you and just replace the part). Dealers and manufacturers will do or say almost anything to get you to use OEM parts.

Next time you should bring in a copy of the Act and see what they say.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 05-24-2005 at 09:35 AM.