Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Looking to replace rear coils and shocks...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 07:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to replace rear coils and shocks...

I have found a place online that organizes all the OME parts for you after a detailed questionare, with 4 shocks, rear coils, and a front stabilizer, it comes to about $440 plus shipping.

While this doesn't seem to bad for the quality...I'm wondering what Downey can do for me? I've got their catalogue, but why pay retail when there are good businesses out there that sell Downey?!

So, I'm looking for some hints about who carries Downey stuff, and about how much I'm looking at by going that route. Thanks for any help!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:58 PM
Contributing Member

I bought Downey HD rear coils from Mike at Xtreme Off-Road. Mike is a great guy to deal with and is also a member of this forum.

From what I've seen, Downey's prices are fairly close anywhere you go. You may even be able to order directly from Downey for cheaper than you can elsewhere. I forget exactly what I paid, but it was around $160 from Mike. He had them shipped directly from Downey.

I have been very impressed with them so far. I got about 2" of lift out of them. I went camping this weekend and loaded up with enough gear to totally fill the back of my 4Runner. I'm guessing 2-300 pounds. I didn't notice any sag. Before the coils, I would have been resting on the bump stops.

The Downey kit includes the coils, a stainless steel braided brake line extension, a brake line bracket, a brake proportioning valve bracket, and fairly good instructions.

I also installed an OME steering stabilizer that I bought from 4x4 Connection for $58, and a set of Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks from Central 4WD that cost $69 a piece.

I have been very happy with this setup.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to get in touch with Mike!

I have the Downey catalogue, and just added up the spring kit, 4 shocks (Doeschtech) and a steering stabilizer. It adds up to just under $390 plus shipping.

The OME kit from Rocky Road Outfitters is listed at $430 plus shipping. I'm wondering if the difference in the shock quality is enough to lean that way....

When I talk to guys running OME stuff, they claim they will never run anything else, they like the ride and capabilities that much.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
Old 06-11-2003, 06:40 AM

i didn't like the doestch tech's. i can't remember what the ride was like because they blew out. i don't even know how long they lasted. i had the HD springs and doetsch techs for about 8k, and the ride was not to my liking. very hard bottoming out, so i replaced the springs with regular downeys. this is when i realized the shocks were totally gone. so i wouldn't recommend the doetch tecks. JMO. and i'm almost all highway/streets. now i have monroes with the regular downeys and i like the ride.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:59 AM

So you'd still go with the HD springs then? I use the truck to tow a 2 place, covered snowmobile trailer in the winter, so this is the way I'm leaning.

Maybe I had good luck with my truck, but the Doeschtech's downey sent me worked well.

Maybe I really should think harder about getting the OME stuff!
Old 06-11-2003, 12:25 PM

I just purchased my setup from Central 4WD, downey coils, bilstein hd shocks and OME Steering Stab. with shipping and tax (in state) I think I paid $520 ish. I needed them in a rush for a last minute trip so I paid a little more I think.

I changed out the shocks and steering stab, the truck rides great. The springs were shipped from Downey so I didn't get them in time for my last trip. I will put them on in the next week or so.
Old 06-11-2003, 02:15 PM

i think the HDs might be too stiff if you never carried much. but it was real nice when i moved 500 lbs of sand and water and a 200 lb aquarium. rode like stock even with all that. i think you would like it with your trailer hooked up, and with passangers and gear.

i got the HDs because i was worried about when i would tow and have passengers, etc. but then i was mostly driving just me without any stuff in back on the highway, so it was STIFF! combined with shocks that weren't dampening, aarrrgghh!

like i said, i am happy right now with the regular downeys amd monroes. just levelling out the runner with the 1 1/2" makes the ride better because the front end doesn't bounce up and down going over a bump from the back end dropping.

but it seems everyone here loves their HDs. i love my regular downeys.

btw, i paid $169 from downey. twice.
Old 06-11-2003, 03:40 PM

So you're saying you've got some slightly used coils sitting around, eh?lol

The standard springs will probably do everything I need. I will probably just leave the front end alone and let the rear ride a little high. That way it'll be level once loaded, should be fine.

I'd really like to have OME stuff on this truck!
I'll have to wait and see how this head gasket thing will work out first though, dammit!
Old 06-11-2003, 06:05 PM

yeah, i DID have the coils sitting for a long time, but i finally posted them and sold 'em. Oicnaic was quick on that one. he should be posting when he gets 'em on.

i only saw the OME steering stabilizer, man that thing looks nice. i didn't have the time to order it (nor the extra $, since i replaced my idler, stabilizer, and tie-rods this time around). i just got the monroe magnum for $30 at kragen. it's a helluva lot better than my old stock one, that's for sure!

btw, good luck with the head gasket.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know about the Dueshtech shocks - I've heard they are crap. The OME stuff is solid. I have the OME stabilizer - it's awesome. I've got Perf Prod springs with Bils. Suits my driving well so far. My rig is onroad at least 80% of the time, so the PP progressive rate springs work great for the road. Good in the tough stuff too.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't describe my HD coils as being stiff. I went from Rancho RS5000 shocks and stock coils to Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks and Downeys. I think it was actually stiffer with the Ranchos. From my experience, the shocks seemed to have a higher impact on stiffness than the coils. Although, I know that Downey rates the HDs as being 20% stiffer than OEM.

Also, if you go with the HDs, you won't see much sag when hauling a load. I think it might resist sagging over time more than the standard coils as well.

Now that I think of it, I wonder how much of the time I was bottoming out on the bump stops with the stock coils. That may explain my HD coils not feeling stiff.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Don't know about the Dueshtech shocks - I've heard they are crap
incorrect spelling, but anyway i have a set in the rear and i think they work just fine. i doubt many people here are a professional offroaders or would even be able to tell. They are a little softer according to the specs but its not that big a deal.

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 06-11-2003 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-12-2003, 10:15 AM

I've had good luck with Doeschtechs, but only had 8000miles on the set before I sold the truck. I don't like the ride of Ranchos, but I do like Tuff country's nitros. For the price, the Tuff Country's are hard to beat I think.

OME would still be my best, but most expensive option, although not by much. Any other thoughts?
Old 06-12-2003, 03:13 PM
Contributing Member

Just to muddy the water a little bit............

I have the downey HDs with Rancho 9000x or whatever that last digit is, the newer ones. I have the 9000's set to softest. My ride is ok, but I think I would have done better with monroe. I would definitely recommend the HDs however. Its nice when you're loaded carrying heavy stuff.

IMHO: "Its also a truck and should be stiff, like my 71 FJ, kinda like ridin on a log!"