86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello Lewis.. I can understand. It wasnt that I was being greedy. I only made about 5-600 on it. That doesnt count for the time I had in it. He really seemed like he wanted it and I let him drive it til his heart was content, then I drove it, froze our butts off with the air, took him 4 wheeling in hi and low range, and run to 90 mph for quite aways, showed everything worked and went from the frame to drive train.

All of my trucks, are in great shape and I really take care of them. The wife and kids have been quite aways out from St. Louis to Oklahoma City and I worry more about accidents then breaking down. Just frustrating when you put alot of work and effort and dont or wont realize what they are getting.

I am probably going to have 2500 into the runner when it is all said and done, and wouldnt let it go for less then 3000. Just did 450 miles yesterday and a good 350 was doing 80-85 mph the whole way. Next time I will let them know that price only goes up with haggling. Try to find a runner around here that has been gone through and having everything working and dependable is no small task.

I couldnt get so lucky finding a good dependable car for 3000. Still got to do tcase,AC , and seats, but it will get there. I think she wants to keep this one as she likes it for summer time. Im just in it for the enjoyment and to help pay fo itself. If I had the time and money, I would have 10 projects going.lol
Old 09-23-2011, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, thats in no way being greedy. You put countless hours of work into a truck, you need to be compensated. Guys like you and I that know what were doing, our wrench time is worth $25 to $50 an hour. So if you take that into consideration, your selling at a loss.
You gotta make some money on the sale, you buy a truck and invest money into it. When you list a car for sale, you gotta be competitive if you want it to move, but when someone asks you to sell them your ride, you have the right to ask whatever you think its worth including the time and money you have tied up in it. Noone forcing anyone to buy it. Anyone who doesnt understand that has never put real wrench time into a car or truck.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Lewis. I hear you on the wrench time. Seems like I am going 900 miles an hour and only getting 10 miles. Finally making some progress, but not after alot of effort.

The past few days I have been hitting the salvages and luckily getting quite a few parts.

I do alot of towing and just happened to find a reciever hitch. It took the salvage a few days to got off of the truck as it was on the ground. It took me 4 or 5 hours using a cutting wheel to get the bolts off of mine. It is a heavy duty hitch, weighs around 75 pounds, but you cant adjust the height of it and I would rather use a reciever hitch and it is lighter.

Looks like it had a rock guard attached to it, but I didnt like it so I removed it. Still got some cleaning and painting to do on it and had to get some new bolts to put it on.
Hoping to have it on tomorrow.

Old hitch with rock bar removed.
Name:  Hitchold.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  53.7 KB

New Hitch.
Name:  Hitchnew2.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  74.1 KB

Got all of my interior pieces including the rear wiper motor cover and the pad for the roll bar. I will have to paint them. Just have to get rear carpet to finish the trunk area and it will be done.
Name:  Partseverythingbutcarpet.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  62.2 KB

The parts on the right are for this runner, the parts on the left will be for my blue runner. I have a back glass and some other parts, that I dont remember at this time.
Name:  Parts1.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  64.4 KB

After driving aroudn 400 some miles in one day with out a radio, I got some radio parts out of the shed and had them in for one day. I can go short distance without a radio, but that was to long of a drive.
Name:  RadioOld.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  64.0 KB

Was looking for stereo places and seen this.
Name:  Radiosale.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  64.2 KB

Today got this, bad pic but you get the idea, still need to finish rear speakers and put interior back toghter.
Name:  RadioNew.jpg
Views: 521
Size:  74.4 KB

Also I got the little Toyota emblem that I was missing on my steering wheel and I had plenty of Toyota Rewards Points, that I ordered the door seals from them. While I was there, I picked up 4 oil filters and a new set of plugs. Wont cost me anything. I have had these points built up for several years and figured may as well use them before I lose them.

Sounds like alot getting done, and some ways yes but I am not the fastest and feel I should of been further along then what I am. I will just keep steadily chopping at it.

Also got my shifter boot on order... finally. Kept forgetting to do that.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
AWESOME! Great news on all the finds!
Old 09-24-2011, 11:52 AM

OOOh, and I thought of you right away when seeing this... pricey, but still, it's red! hhaha........

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/2602895502.html
Old 09-24-2011, 04:39 PM

Pricey, yes, but worth it IMHO. Most of the ones you see on the internet have the display tilted to the passenger side instead of the driver side (right hand drive) so that one is actually meant for our trucks. I look every once in a while for a grey one, but they always seem to be sold in places like australia for 100 bucks plus 100 bucks shipping. I'll wait till I can find a good left hand drive one for a half decent price.

Just stopping in to say hi, Terry. Haven't had much time to keep up with your thread, but it was worth the wait.
Old 09-24-2011, 07:29 PM

Score on that tow hitch, thing looks mean. God help anybody who rear ends you lol, that unit does not look forgiving.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:42 PM

DUTCH! Wuttup, homie? lol......

Yeah, I agree, well worth it if it's clean and complete and RE-2-GO!

It must be "Terry's Red Runner on the Brain" day! >>>> http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/2605571264.html
Old 09-26-2011, 02:44 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

You mean there is another Toyota out there with red interior?!! Just kidding, I havent seen one in all seriosness. I see blue,tan and gray all of the time. I really havent seen to many on YT either.

Hey Dutchbelly and Lewis, how are you guys doing? I had a long post written up yesterday and halfway through it we lost power for a couple of hours. I am sure my home computer liked that real well.

I have been getting a few things done. I spent $75 for my reciever hitch and think nearly $60 in mostly bolts. Doesnt make sense to me. I put the heavy duty bolts in. If I am going to be pulling something, I dont want it to come loose because I went the cheap way out.

I have 3 bolts from the hitch to the frame on both sides. If I was really ambitious enough, I could add 1 more on each side, but would need a heavy duty drill and bit to get through the plate and frame. If it comes off with what I have on now, It means I have some serious issue.

Still need to get a 2 inch ball, lights, and the reciever to finish this project. It is adding up quick, but I do alot of towing and that 75 pound boat anchor just wasnt able to be adjusted to different heights. I did pawn it off on my brother. Convinced him he needed for his 2 wheel drive and it will be great for that.

I got some more updating to do but will have to get to it later. Just got a few minutes now. But here is the reciever done. Took a while getting the old one off and the new one cleaned up and mounted. Now I need to go get my exhaust hanger rewelded.
Name:  Newhitch.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  43.0 KB
Old 09-26-2011, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

While in the boneyard awhile back, I found some side pockets for th rear passengers. I always seen to get the plain jane trucks and like looking for what else they had to offer and upgrade mine.

Dont know what I really needed them for but still like the idea of having them. I was apprehensive about cutting and possibly destroying some good panels, but figured since I was taking the chance, may as well as go big, so I used a cutoff wheel. It worked GREAT!! It is the only way to do it and get a good clean cut. I was going to use a razor knife, but am glad I decided to be brave.

I marked the backside and using the cutoff wheel, I was allowing for a tight fit and room for error and did have to go back and knock out some a little at a time.
Name:  Sidepocketscutting.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  83.4 KB

Here they are done. I need to paint the buckets and will do that later today. Still need to do some repair on the hard plastic panels as mine are really brittle and get it all finished up. Still need to wire my rear speakers in and this should be the last time I need to have the panels off. Bad cell phone pics, but will work I guess.
Name:  Sidepocketdone.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  54.7 KB

Here is how I am repairing my rear panels and also I used this stuff with a dab of glue around the edges of the pockets to help hold them to the side panels. I used the cutoff wheel and knocked off the tabs that are located on the edge of the side pockets trim. No way am I good enough to match the holes to the panles.
Name:  Sidepocketsglue.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  88.0 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-14-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
jealous
Old 09-26-2011, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Outsane. How you been doing?? What takes some people a few hours, literally can take me days to do. I just stay steadily poking along. I am the tortise in the fabled race.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
life is good.. you have been making good progress nothing is too slow..
Old 09-27-2011, 03:16 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have been working on getting the trim pieces that I had been missing replaced. Some were broken or cracked so had to make due with what I could get.

Got my mudflap on awhile back and finally got it painted up like the rest. I got alot of road grime on the body that will need some rubbing compound to get off.

I just got done changing the oil and filter, and the time befor that, I had it done. I dont like the way the drain bolt twisted into the pan. It didnt feel stripped but it used to spin all the way in til it bottomed out. Grrr...

Waiting for the repaired and painted pieces to dry and will be getting them back in today, also got my rear speakers hooked up. When I put all of the trim in it should be the last time.

The only trim I am missing is the 4 pieces that cover the back seats til brackets. The ones I got each had a broken clip, but will live without those for awhile.

I talked to my friend today, and soon as we can get a chance we are going to swap out my tcase. I have been pricing seat upholstry and WOW!!!, I think I found a new career. That stuff is expensive. So for now I am looking for some seat covers off of ebay or something. I think I want to get the sport look.

It is getting down to detail work and there is actually quite a bit of small things to do. I can see the finish line, but just cant quite reach it.

Parts Stores sell this if you want to try and bring back to life, didnt see different colors. But think it would look good if they had colors to the body.
Name:  mudflap.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  46.0 KB

Here is what I have to deal with, Pickins is slim around here.
Name:  panelbroke.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  76.6 KB

Here is what I used to fix. Works great.
Name:  panelglued.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  51.5 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-14-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:17 PM

Hey Terry haven't checked in for awhile, between you and Cheff I'm not who's getting the better salvage yard scores, if you did already have a couple progects on the table I'd just drop mine off and let ya have at it. But really great work as always.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:51 PM

WOW, great work! Love those pockets, grateful I have em!

Hey, .... didn't notice if you were mentioning the 'no colors but white' on the 'tire paint'.... I would love to find "RED", ya know? Wanna paint the 'TOYOTA' and '4WD' Toyota Red to give it a unique flare, lol.. But not sure that vinyl paint would work on those... I also wasn't sure they even made tire paint! lol....

AGAIN, GREAT WORK, MAN! I wish I had the nuggets to cut out and fab up more stuff like you're doing.... I'll just be happy with what I have and save the "FAB"n for the seats, etc., lol.

L8R T8R!

Mark

PS> Did you get my last PM about the Moonroof thingy?
Old 09-28-2011, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chef.. my sent mail showed it went through on the sunroof. I would like it. I sent another PM.

Hello Jason.. I would jump all over it. I have learned alot on these trucks. Wish there were some more YT junkies around here. I feel really confident on these trucks and this one made me get out of my comfort zone and being financially challenged, I had to learn how to do things on the cheap.

Was going through my thread recently and forgot some of the things I have done. Like the fuel tank fix, the ENG Fuse was a tough one. Searching YT, it still seems a really common problem that really has very few answers. The backhatch and all of the problems it is plauged with.

Headlight switch and the buzzer box where some that I did alot of research on and did for free that I was really happy with. I was a little nervous adding front and back storage pockets but was happy with the results, and doing carpet was a first for me.

Now the wife is starting to drive it more often and I am driving the flatbed more. She wont drive them when they are a "work in progress" or a "diamond in the rough". Her way of telling me to get my butt out of the truck and my excuse to find something else.

I got door seals, seat covers, and the shifter cover coming in the mail. It is starting to feel like what it must of been like in '88. It rides nice and is getting funner to drive. One thing that I would like to add is an aftermarket cruise control. I will be looking into it.

Have been disapointed in Craigslist lately. When I am looking around on there and not needing a project or anything, I miss out on some really good deals. Have been wanting to find one that I could fix and sell in a fairly reasonable amount of time to help fund my next build. When I am not looking there are several out. Now that this one is getting close to being done, they dont exsit.

I can see my next project on the horizon, just not sure which way I want to go just yet. This truck taught me alot and I feel it will make the next sooooo much easier. I have tons of time having to do alot of research.

I like the 4Runners but have thought of a 79-83 to try a different route. I have done two 89-95 trucks and two 84-88 body styles and have parts for either so that would keep cost down and speed things up.

This Runner is by far my most favorite build. It took me from one end to another. It will never be done as it will always get things added to it. But it is close enough for me to start looking around.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-28-2011 at 03:52 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:51 AM

Hey Terry, ....

Still waiting to hear back from the dude on the moonroof. He's in Fullerton, which isn't TOO far from me, but around 2 hours round trip, depending on traffic... Sooooo, lol. Then shipping might be pretty steep. I asked him in the email "would he ship and take paypal?" .... I think he's busy, as these things don't sell super easy, as Red back seats wouldn't, either, ya know? lol.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:58 PM

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
Terry, thanks for the write up on the side pockets. You can now fit a "wedgie" drink holder in them as others have done.

For the cruise control, try eBay. It's been a while since I checked but last time I looked there were a couple of "new in box" after market kits from the 80's. I guess people got them as gifts and never hooked them up. They used to be a common kit sold next to the stereos at parts stores but I guess most new cars already have cruise control. Getting a 80's kit would match the 4Runner.

Thanks for the great thread. I hate to see it winding down.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:27 PM

Terry, .... just to be sure he still had it, I messaged him......... he responded..........

"I do still have it and it is complete. itt is in great shape no rot no leaks and i have it with the rubber seal and shade insert"........ but didn't respond at all regarding the ''Shipping" or "Paypal"..... Send me a PM or call me and maybe I can help out in getting it for ya... Just can't promise, as I've been TOTALLY slammed lately.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread