86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hey Chef.. I dont think the cupholder is going to work out like I was thinking, but I will come up with something eventually. It would be nice to have a first good idea on here but imagine this has been tried several different ways.

I couldnt find a armrest in my part of the country and ebay wanted alot for one and my Tercel worked out really well. I will get pics later of it, but the wife and me can both use it at the same time.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-18-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have been wanting my Runner to be as useful as possible and came up with the idea to add more storage (for junk..lol) and took some door pockets off of a 2nd gen runner as I dont have alot to choose from here in this part of the country.

I took a door pocket and had to take a cut off wheel and knock down the tall tabs. On the Runner I pulled it from it was only being held by 4 screws. Haynes Manual has a great descrition for getting your door panel off.
Name:  Newpocketcutstuds.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  76.2 KB

I then figured where I wanted it and put a dab of weater seal on the screw holes and set it where I wanted it so as to know where to make the screw holes. I used about the smallest drill bit I had and made a small hole and ran the screws in from the back side then mounted it to the door panel.
Name:  Newpocketsealmarking.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  72.4 KB

Here it is done and is the way the 2nd gen was mounted. Wont take heavy items but will work for what I need. I got it off of a brown truck and did have to paint it.
Name:  Newpocket.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  74.7 KB

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...l#post52144056
Name:  doorpanel3_zps7dc5401d.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  55.3 KB

When adding pockets to panel with carpet, I use finishing nails to make holes. The first and second gen pocket hole screws dont line up.
Name:  doorpanel4_zpse459acaa.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  42.9 KB

Here is how to remove the clip that holds the window crank on. Just posting this for others to see. Take a cloth and work it around until you see the clip. I then take a jewlers flat blade to lift the clip out.
Name:  doorpanel5_zpsf3e96c1b.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  37.9 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 12-12-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks pretty good if I didn't have speakers there on my doors I would do the same thing.
In the Camry we have those and they get used all the time.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:00 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
Hey Chef.. I dont think the cupholder is going to work out like I was thinking, but I will come up with something eventually. It would be nice to have a first good idea on here but imagine this has been tried several different ways.

I couldnt find a armrest in my part of the country and ebay wanted alot for one and my Tercel worked out really well. I will get pics later of it, but the wife and me can both use it at the same time.

Cupholders,...yeah, like I said, these are NOT "IN DASH FRIENDLY" style trucks, lol. BUT, anything's possible, right? lol. The kind that I have, that collapses? It's so unique in that it fastens to bent in lips of chassis right there, and it's REALLY secure! Right below the radio where, just below that, is a large change dish/condensation catcher? lol. Not sure if they had them in 5spds... but I'm sure someone will tell me here, right? Lol.

Far as the armrest.... DIME A DOZEN out here! I found a guy on CL in Quartz Hill, CA, with.... well, here is his add.....

All parts came off a 1986 Toyota 4Runner

Driver side window regulator $10
Door stops (both sides) $10 pr
Pass. side tail lens $5
Driver and Pass. interior door panels, blue $15 ea
center console $25
rear top glass (4pc) $25
all prices OBO

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant...593251896.html

Most guys as WAY more than him,...but still, you can find it. If you find a console lid, and it's mildly trashed, HAVE IT REUPHOLSTERED! lol. I did, and I love it! I had him put nearly 3" of foam in it, so it's actually holding up my arm while driving. VERY firm foam base with softer foam on top where my elbow sits!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:41 PM

Hey Terry. Cant wait to see what you come up with for cupholders. Nice door pannel mod, I think thats the first time I've ever heard of hayne's having great instructions lol.
Old 09-18-2011, 07:52 PM

Hey Terry,....

I just noticed your FREAKIN CHERRY Mudflaps with the white lettering.... You painted them, right?

I've been wanting to do the rears, in RED, where it says 4WD ...... AND NOW I'm thinking... "Maybe I could paint it RED there, where it says "TOYOTA" on the front ones, too! lol.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:21 PM

Hey terry, ....

I saw these, tonight, and thought of you right off! lol....

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/2602891516.html
Old 09-18-2011, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Jdogg, How are you doing? The pockets are ready coming in handy. I like to look at other trucks and try to apply some of the handy things to mine. Always looking for more ideas.

Hello Lewis..lol, I think you are right about Haynes sometimes, I am eventually going to break down and buy a FSM. But on this job it actually worked out well.

Hello Chef.. I painted my mudflap letters. I got an ink pen like device from Oriellys for lettering. I hadnt thought of different colors. I bet red would look good on yours. I dont know if the pen could be bought in red.

Here in the midwest, 1st gen runners are hard to find. I drive 40 miles to work and the small towns and including Joplin which is the largest in this area, I only have seen about 10 4runners. Second and third gens are easy to find. I was talking to a guy south of Kansas City and he only knows of one 89 runner in the bone yard and it is picked clean.

I know when I was stationed in San Diego, there tons of trucks in the salvage yard that were great fixer uppers compared to what we have here. Foreigns were slow to catch on here in the late 80s. We used to have a guy that bought cars from California and sold them here. Wish he was still in business. He could get them cheap if they had emission problems and they would pass here.

I tried to find on your thread about your cupholder, you have alot of pages, could you post a pic here for me?
Old 09-19-2011, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was out in town a couple of weeks ago and a guy asked me about my 91 extended cab and if it was for sale. I told I was planning on selling it later on this year, but I would sell it. He took my number and I forgot about it. He called today and wanted to look at it and test it out. I agreed.

I spent an hour going over everything I have done to it and that I built it for the wife and kids, so I know it is dependable and have taken it on some long trips and it runs great. Let him drive it and I did some small climbing in 4 low and showed high range worked. Showed where I had done bodywork and the improvements I had made. The only thing is 5th gear has a little whine to it and I dont know how to fix it other then replace the tranny, but it isnt bad so I just lived with it.

He liked it and wants to buy it tomorrow. I told him what I had in it and he was still determined to get me down a little bit. I eventually came down $100 on it. I just always asked the price, I want it,I will pay it, I dont like the price, I move on. Since he was determined to get me down, I have a camper top and new nerf bars, that I never got off of my butt and put on I was going to throw in that he hasnt seen that I am now going to keep. Just one reason I dont really care for selling trucks.

Wish I had known of YT when I built this truck. It was in rough shape when I got it and I went through it about like I have this 4Runner I have been working on. Did drive train,bodywork,interior, and several upgrades. I always got alot of compliments on it. I am going to miss it and had a great time with it. Was always happy how it turned out.

It is going to help get my white runner completed and just as nice for the wife and kiddos and help fund my next project. This white runner will get done sooner then I was expecting and get me onto my next project. I did an 89 standard cab before this and really liked it, but this extended cab rides so much nicer.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:12 AM

It's in the picture here, Terry...........

Name:  001-11.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  136.2 KB
Old 09-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Chef.. Thanks for the pics. You got a lot of nice parts there.

I sold the 91, going to re-prioritize my list and get some parts on order. While waiting at the bank for the new owners to show up, I had a guy wanting to buy my Runner. I couldnt let it go. He's having a hard time finding one, and we got to talking and I told/showed what all I had done with it and understood why I didnt want to sell.

Got home and had a package. My Oil Pressure sensor. Thanks Jason, appreciate it. That is normally a 5 minute job, so I couldnt wait to get it on. It went smooth this time.

On one swap I did and it was right after I got the 91 extended cab, the PO of the extended cab had a 2 wheel drive clutch in it and it was slipping bad. I thought that I would just swap my oil sensor out quick. The oil sensor for the light broke in the threads in the block so I was immediately down 2 trucks. What happened is I used a deep well socket and turned it slowly thinking it was twisting out. It was actually twisting the head off of the threads leaving a big whole for lots of oil to come out. When you start it up, it will flow quick. Luckily I had this to happen on my 2 wheel truck and a guy was able to weld a nut to the broken threads and take it out with a wrench. I dont know if you could get a welder in to the threads on a 4 wheel drive.

This time I used a pair of vise grips so as I could make sure that I could see that the threads were twisting with the head. Once it was out I used a 14mm wrench to put in the new sensor for the guage. I will update my guage swap later but want to put this out to someone new.

The BIG sensor on the right is for the GUAGE and the SMALL sensor on the left is for the LIGHT.
DO NOT plug into the ground wire, it will ruin your oil guage on your cluster. Plug into the center of the sensor.

Give me a day or so and I will update my SR5 guage post.
Name:  Oilsensors.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  89.1 KB

This is the correct hookup for a SR5 guage.
Name:  OilssensorSR5.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  57.8 KB

Last edited by Terrys87; 04-17-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 AM

im doing fine how about you?
they can be used for almost anything. trash, maglight, change, pens, paper, phone holder etc...
Old 09-19-2011, 12:33 PM

those pockets turned out really nice man good thinking on that one, I really need to find some interior parts for mine, miss a craigs list deal awhile back becouse I couldnt get home maybe next time. I hate to see that you sold your 91 you put a lot off work into that truck but I understand. hope the presure switch helps. hope all is well with ya.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello guys, I like my little pockets. If I am not carefful they could become junk holders, but they are already handy.

I got new shocks on the Runner. Helped the front end alot. Those shocks were worn. The back shocks werent to bad, but still helped a little.

I went to use my cigarette lighter and blew the fuse in the kick panel. Took the lighter out and it was rusting and falling apart. I replaced it with an off of the shelf one and it worked the first time and when I tried it a second time, I heard the fuse pop. When it goes out, I lose my clock. It still holds time when I put a new fuse in. I am hoping it is just the wrong lighter. I want to get it working so as I can use my Garmin.

Truck has been idling a little up and down lately so I thought I would just pull it on a steep hill and burp the radiator. I let it run for awhile and never got any air bubbles, so I knew that didnt fix it.

Thought I would check the AFM and see if it was operating smoothly and it was. While I had the air filter cover off I thought I would check the air filter. It was full of grass and hay. I had been in the hay fields lately and am surprised it ran as good as it did. I will be getting a new air filter today and may as well as change the plugs while I am at it. I did a tune up a while back, but dont guess it will hurt anything.

Besides I have some trips to take. I have over 20,000 miles on it since getting it running, but really havent taken any long trips in it. Never had any problems since I have gotten it runnig except for my fuel injector O-ring right after getting it done, so am looking forward to these trips.

Tried getting my AC working and it wouldnt charge up, so I am guessing it is the compressor. I will get some help on it. Since it has cooled down, the AC got forgotten about for awhile.

I am hoping this week or next week to get my Tcase swapped out. Hoping everyting goes well.

Things left to do.
AC
Transfer case .......................Soon
Seats...................................Looking
Stereo..................................Looking
Finish trunk area.................... Not much to do
Replace door seals..................Ordering
Replace shifter boots.............. Ordering

Once these are done, I am pretty much considering this truck done. The wife has some things she wants to do to it and I will leave this up to her and help where I can.
Grant Steering Wheel
Stripes
Nerf Bars
Wheels

Alot of this is in the works and should come togther real soon.

Soon as I get the chance, I am going to start on my Blue Runner and will start a build thread on it. Trying to get the time to get it home. It looks bad, but is actually in better shape then my white one was. I have alot of the parts to get it together and running. I used alot of parts of the blue one to get this running.

I stripped the gray runner and will use it to get the blue on going. When I used parts off of the blue one, I didnt just yank and cut things. It only takes awhile longer to get it off right. That what I hate about the salvage yard is how people tear a whole dash apart to get one item. This will go together quick and easy.

Biggest thing will be the back glass. I need one. I have a gate, but I am less then thrilled to take it apart. If I can find a good back hatch I will get it and replace the whole thing.

Hope to have it home this weekend. When I get home I will start a new build thread.

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-21-2011 at 03:11 AM.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:16 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hey bud...see you are still at it pretty heavy. looking good.

haven't really had time to go back too much on anyone's threads, just kinda jumping in at the end. between work, life and a few natural disasters and the usual disasters, I haven't had much time to troll YOTATECH.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:21 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hey...just saw you posted too. nice list.

I consider any amount of time or money spent on our trucks as totally worth it financially and personally because our vehicles (with the exception of my wife's 2006 4runner) are paid for....and because we are gaining skills along the way and because it feels good to do stuff yourself, even though getting it done can cause angina.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:56 AM

Hey Terry, .... GREAT to see that big post!!! Sounds good to me, ......now.... GO! lol.

On the Lighter thing... I've noticed that, while these lighters WILL power my phone chargers, etc., .... the thing will not even power a 150W Cupholder Inverter... But, when I hooked up my waterproof lighter style plug/aux power source thingymadoer, .... directly to the battery.....Using my 400W Tailgate Inverter to power My laptop, Power plug for charging plugged in, ...and>> searching, DVD playing, hooked up to Amplified speakers, while charging my phone on the other outlet of the 3 available..... NO ISSUES! When I tried it in the stock lighter outlet, INSTANT warning, the second I plugged even the power charge portion of the laptop up. This is USING A NEARLY NEW Lighter plug from a truck in the yard that had 32K miles on it.

My terribly made point is, .... those wires that feed that outlet are a JOKE in regards to powering things. Sure, it could be corrosion or electrolysis BEHIND the kick panel... But I think running 14g WIRE to the lighter, with switched power, replacing the stock wires in other words, ...just might do the trick! For now, I'll just charge my phone with the one in the dash, and then, when I hook up my aux one(3$ at Pep Boys!), already supplied with 14G wire, I'll run my tailgate inverter to that.....(and my mini compressor, etc.).
Old 09-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Jerry,,I tried to make my thread where someone could come up with a great ride for alot less then a carpayment. I have been really fortunate to make a dollar or two when I do sell them and feel really good that I didnt do a poor job on it either.

Hello Chef..I did check my fuse panel and it looks great. My cigarette light will run my Garmin and charge my cell phone so it will work for now, but I am going to redo the wiring. I am going to rewire it, now that I know it is on the limits of it capabilites and nowadays we just have so many things that need charging.

Been really busy,have been in the salvage lately and got a reciever hitch that I should be able to pick up tomorrow, just will need to get it on.

Got some parts off of a fellow Yotatecher. Got my mudflap and a backglass for my next project. I was going to just replace the whole hatch, but he convinced me that it isnt as bad as I am imagining. Got a great deal on the glass and other parts. Thanks..

I was up in Kansas City visiting a friend and got to go to a salvage up there and got quite a few parts for a really great deal. Some for my current project and some for my future project. Havent got to mess with mine lately.

Been helping an older friend get his 66 Chevy 4x4 straightened back out after a poor mechanic did a poor job on his truck. Just getting things back toghter right and stirring up the old cob webs in my mind on 350 motors. Been keeping me busy, but has been fun working on something old and lots of room under the hood. Forgot about those days.

Hopefully I will get something accomplished soon on mine and get it closer to being done. Will try to get some pics of my parts soon and even better when I get them on the Runner.
Old 09-22-2011, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Wanted to put this up as a reminder for me to get this on order. Thanks Nervo..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOT...Q5fAccessories

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...shtml#EasyTest Starter problem.

I am getting ready to order new door seals. Dont know what I did with the site, but will post here when I find it again.
http://www.stockinteriors.com/Weathe...=415&MakeId=37 On back order

http://www.magauto.com/ they have them $150...ouch

http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/auto...html?3593=7907 888-437-4272 $42 backorder

Last edited by Terrys87; 09-23-2011 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:23 PM

Congrats on the sale. I know what you mean with selling the trucks and hagglers. You either love or hate doing it. I'm personally very good at it, but when I come across someone like you thats firm on the price, and its a good price, I'll just pay it. Some people are just disrespectful with offers.
I was selling a running cavalier for $500 once, and a woman was very angry that I wouldnt take $200 for it. She then raised her offer to $250 and I told her I would rather junk it, than sell it to her. Some things just aren't negotiable.
I'll stop ranting now.

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread