86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

rustED's 86' V8-Runner Build-up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 10:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rustED
Yesterday, I was toolin around and found my power steering pump and brackets I had packed away. So I bolted up that cradle looking bracket to the steering pump and was kinda mocking it into place to see what I can come up with for a mount. I think I can build a simple "L" bracket and weld it to the cradle bracket and bolt it to the driver side head. I'll have to relocate my coil, but that's no biggie. Hopefully I can work on it and get the power steering all hooked up this Tues/Wed!
Awesome ED.
Let me know I you need any stock Toyota PS brackets. I have some I you need one to cut up.
Old 10-11-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Gizler00
Awesome ED.
Let me know I you need any stock Toyota PS brackets. I have some I you need one to cut up.
Thanks Mark! I think I have everything I need to get it to work. I have a double V belt style pulley I'm going to swap onto my water pump so I can run a second belt just for the PS. I also have the adjustable tensioner (like the one you recently replaced the bearing on) that I can reuse for it. I forgot that I had sand blasted all the brackets back when I still worked at my old job, so preping them for paint should be a lot easier when I'm finished.
Old 10-13-2014, 04:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power steering is definetly needed.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:47 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
wow ed i'd forgotten that you don't have PS, can't believe you've made it this far on 35s, i drove mine for about 9 months on 31s with no PS and complained all the time haha.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Power steering is definetly needed.
Yeah, I can't believe I've put it off for this long, lol!

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
wow ed i'd forgotten that you don't have PS, can't believe you've made it this far on 35s, i drove mine for about 9 months on 31s with no PS and complained all the time haha.
Yeah it makes it kind of tough trying to park at work! When I had my 83' on 33's it didn't seem to bad without PS with the push/pull steering, but yeah on my 4runner with hi-steer it's pretty rough! Hopefully I can get it all finished on my days off!
Old 10-15-2014, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take a load off your steering box as well.
Old 10-15-2014, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
Take a load off your steering box as well.
Ha, ha...yeah, I'm kinda surprised its still hanging in there!

Well I had this big long winded update all typed out.... I had 2 tabs opened to yotatech, one on my build thread, and one up on the 84-85' buildup section, and I typed my update response to the wrong thread! So the short version: I started working on my steering pump project. I had to pull the electric fans and drain and pull the radiator just to get the water pump pulley off because its so close to the radiator. I found a perfect match out of one of the double v-belt pullies that I have that should have just the right offset to get the PS pump to mount up. Tomorrow I'll start mocking up the brackets and start fabbing something up. I need to relocate my coil. At this point I wish I had everything to do my new radiator/electric fan install, but I don't and will have to reinstall my old setup.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ahhhhhh I hate it when that happens! I can't believe u have been driving without power steering, u must have forearms the size of most men's calves lol.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:42 PM

Running the Ford ps pump or the Toyota?
Mine basically has the stock serpentine belt system minus the ac compressor, it would hit the steering box anyway...who needs a/c...
Also are your fans in front or rear, sorry can't remember if I recall seeing where they're mounted. I think I'll be switching to a narrower dual fan setup down the road but for now his setup works.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by 85sr5excab
Ahhhhhh I hate it when that happens! I can't believe u have been driving without power steering, u must have forearms the size of most men's calves lol.
Ha, ha...yeah it's been over 2yrs... it's a little rough with hi-steer & 35's without PS!

Originally Posted by nvwiggins
Running the Ford ps pump or the Toyota?
Mine basically has the stock serpentine belt system minus the ac compressor, it would hit the steering box anyway...who needs a/c...
Also are your fans in front or rear, sorry can't remember if I recall seeing where they're mounted. I think I'll be switching to a narrower dual fan setup down the road but for now his setup works.
I'm going to be running the Toyota pump, just need to modify and adapt the brackets. I wish mine had a serpentine setup, but for now I'm going to work with what I have.

I'm using two 10" fans without a shroud behind the radiator wired up in the "puller" configuration for now, until I get my new CFR performance rad installed, then I'm going to a 14" electric fan with an aluminum shroud still mounted and wired in the same configuration.

Hey Wiggins I was wondering, what style oil pan are you using? A rear sump style? I thought I had enough clearance on mine, but noticed a dent in it from the hi-steer drag link hitting it when flexing the suspension, guess its time for a rear sump oil pan too!
Old 10-15-2014, 10:35 PM

Ha, ha...yeah it's been over 2yrs... it's a little rough with hi-steer & 35's without PS!

I'm going to be running the Toyota pump, just need to modify and adapt the brackets. I wish mine had a serpentine setup, but for now I'm going to work with what I have.

I'm using two 10" fans without a shroud behind the radiator wired up in the "puller" configuration for now, until I get my new CFR performance rad installed, then I'm going to a 14" electric fan with an aluminum shroud still mounted and wired in the same configuration.

Hey Wiggins I was wondering, what style oil pan are you using? A rear sump style? I thought I had enough clearance on mine, but noticed a dent in it from the hi-steer drag link hitting it when flexing the suspension, guess its time for a rear sump oil pan too!
Wow I have zero room to fit a fan behind my there is no room for my engine to move back or the radiator to move forward, I also have no body lift so that's one reason there is no room behind the engine to go back any I guess but I still can't believe it fits!
Yes mine is a rear sump, it was modified when it was in the ifs truck so I believe it also has extra room for clearance but I'm not positive on that either.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:33 AM

Wow I have zero room to fit a fan behind my there is no room for my engine to move back or the radiator to move forward, I also have no body lift so that's one reason there is no room behind the engine to go back any I guess but I still can't believe it fits!

Yes mine is a rear sump, it was modified when it was in the ifs truck so I believe it also has extra room for clearance but I'm not positive on that either.
I'm also not running a body lift. It definately is a tight fit along the firewall and trans tunnel! I did cut a little of the core support to help fit the radiator and fans, but they barely fit. When I install my new rad and fan I'm probably going to cut out the rest of the core support and rebuild it around them, retaining the grill in the factory location though. I hate to do it, but really don't have much choice since my new rad and fan are thicker, I just hope I can do it tastefully so it looks pretty much stock in appearance from the outside!

Last edited by rustED; 10-16-2014 at 05:57 AM.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:59 AM

I'm also not running a body lift. It is definately is a tight fit along the firewall and trans tunnel! I did cut a little of the core support to help fit the radiator and fans, but they barely fit. When I install my new rad and fan I'm probably going to cut out the rest of the core support and rebuild it around them, retaining the grill in the factory location though. I hate to do it, but really don't have much choice since my new read and fans are thicker, I just hope I can do it tastefully so it looks pretty much stock in appearance from the outside!
Thats crazy that there is such a difference in the room in front of the motors between the two trucks, I would have to do like your donor truck and cut the grill and core support completely if I wanted puller fans. Maybe its the difference in years of motors or something, I have less than half an inch between certain pulleys and the radiator.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:00 AM

I'm also not running a body lift. It definately is a tight fit along the firewall and trans tunnel! I did cut a little of the core support to help fit the radiator and fans, but they barely fit. When I install my new rad and fan I'm probably going to cut out the rest of the core support and rebuild it around them, retaining the grill in the factory location though. I hate to do it, but really don't have much choice since my new rad and fan are thicker, I just hope I can do it tastefully so it looks pretty much stock in appearance from the outside!
I hear you Ed with keeping the front looking stock. I think, especially with your welding/building skills, that you could fab it up in such a way that it retains a stock look while remaining functional.
Old 10-16-2014, 07:50 AM

Thats crazy that there is such a difference in the room in front of the motors between the two trucks, I would have to do like your donor truck and cut the grill and core support completely if I wanted puller fans. Maybe its the difference in years of motors or something, I have less than half an inch between certain pulleys and the radiator.
That's what I'm thinking, maybe a difference between water pumps and your serpentine belt system and my old school v-belt pulley setup....I wouldn't think there would be to much difference between an older 302 block and a newer 5.0 HO engine block....
Old 10-16-2014, 07:55 AM

I hear you Ed with keeping the front looking stock. I think, especially with your welding/building skills, that you could fab it up in such a way that it retains a stock look while remaining functional.
Thanks Mark! Well if I can't figure something out with the core support, I might just have to go this route:

Name:  ca140559-f5e2-400b-865a-a2172414e7fb_zpsb4b90afa.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  350.9 KB
Old 10-16-2014, 11:49 AM

Now that would be awesome!!!!!!!!
Old 10-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Some thought I was nuts for installing power steering on my 2 wheel drive. It was much nicer with it so I can understand you wanting power steering. Not bad when on the highway but a pain in the rear when parallel parking or even store parking. Tilt front end would be nice.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:36 AM

Now that would be awesome!!!!!!!!
I got that pic from 88ECToy's build thread. He swapped a Corvette LS1 motor into his truck, it is one clean build! Here's a link to his thread for anyone wanting to check it out:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f163/ls1-swap-261258/

Originally Posted by Terrys87
Some thought I was nuts for installing power steering on my 2 wheel drive. It was much nicer with it so I can understand you wanting power steering. Not bad when on the highway but a pain in the rear when parallel parking or even store parking. Tilt front end would be nice.
Hi Terry. Yeah power steering used to be a luxury, but now days its a necessity, especially when running large tires!

Yeah the tilt front end would sure make working on the engine a lot easier!
Old 10-22-2014, 06:41 PM

I fabbed up a bracket to mount to the driver side head so I can mount the power steering pump. I still need to drill a few more holes, I'm also going g to add a gusset to my bracket to make it more rigid.
Name:  adc7318f-a8e7-41e6-8917-8a9dac3b9e50_zps364369e1.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  313.4 KB

Name:  aeb837f2-925a-422e-92ed-6a4ac3ef13d4_zps7ae53536.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  65.5 KB

Name:  9a5174ac-cf20-41d0-b0bb-e07e0bd9d6ea_zps5f254e8e.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  80.4 KB

Don't judge my hacked wiring job in the one pic, when I pulled the radiator and electric fans last week I was in a hurry to get it reinstalled because I had to work that night and it was getting late, I used a wire nut on the ground wire, lol, I'll fix it the right way when I get some time!

Last edited by rustED; 10-22-2014 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: rustED's 86' V8-Runner Build-up Thread