86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Jason in tn's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 92 TOY
holy curseword!!
That sums it up quite nicely.

Went a day or so without checking in, and suddenly there's a flurry of progress on your thread. I'd like to rebuild a 22re after I get my truck on the road, seeing how clean your engine turned out reminds me of that. Although I would miss the absolute zero cleaning involved in keeping my present engine's custom blend of dirt and grease intact...

Keep up the good work, and love the pics.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:41 PM

Thanks Dutch and yes I think getting it looking good was the easy part keeping it that way will be a challenge, but hey I've always got pics "see it used to look really good see look at the pics" LOL.
Old 06-17-2011, 09:03 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
YEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! PLEEEEEEEEASE, get someone to take a video? I just got to hear that thing purr!

"ANOTHER 22reSEWING MACHINE IS BACK UP AND RUNNING WHILE MULTIPLE OTHER MAKES AND MODELS FROM ALL OVER THE WORLD, EVEN 2000+ HAVE BEEN PUT OUT, FOR GOOD, TO THE YARD!" WOO HOO! LOL. CONGRATZ, MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I know that has got to be a big relief. I had been checkin in through out the day and couldnt have been off the site too much before you got it going.

Seems like at times you hit a slow spot and then all of a sudden things move quick. You just got it in the engine bay and now it running. Thats the way it goes.

Were you suprised at how fast it fired up once it got fuel? Starter is nothing to bad to fix. Paint and oil burning off is normal but smells do make you nervous. If you get one going without some kind of leak or hiccup, I want to know the secret.

You got a lot further then you were thinking on this trip in. If you get a chance to take it for a spin, even if it is just around the yard, let us know. I know that is a big monkey off of your back. Congratulations again.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:03 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
wow....if only they could bottle the feeling you get after you start the motor you are working on for the 1st time....that would be awesome.

congrats on the start-up. I like Mark's analogy of the sewing machine.....yup....just like it
Old 06-18-2011, 06:37 AM

Thanks so much guys, mark I'm gonna really try and get a vid up before I leave out, like I said gotta quiet the exhaust down.
Terry yes big releaf to have gotten this far, and yes I was shocked how quick it fired up the stater thing had me stumped becouse like I said it is more or less new but just worked through it, I would love to take it for alittle spin but not sure I will have time as the wife has informed me that today is my LAST day being in the shop all day.
Thanks Jerry I really don't know who was more excited me or my son, he has been by my side on this from the start and really proud to have been a part of it, and I'm great full for his help.

OK so I'm headed out to see how much I can get done, hope you all have a great day.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
heyy great job. got a lot done in a lil bit of time. i bet it is putting a big smile on your facenow.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:12 PM

thanks twisted you Im really happy to have it running.

that being said I need some HELP ok so I had it running for about 20 min it will not idle it will not restart with out cracking the throttle and its running so rich I think my eyes might stop watering wed, it seems to have pretty good throttle response but seems to have a steady miss I just need a place to start please.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:39 PM

id start with the miss.

try removing one plug wire at a time and see if it gets worse or stays the same.
if it stays the same, their is something wrong with tht plug, wire or possibly cap.

if all get worse you no its not the spark. next would be to check the fuel. by removing each injector plug one at a time
but it its running rich i would thing tht you would be good on fuel

on the idle. what is your idle scre at, such as how many turns out is it?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:17 PM

sorry twistede I forgot to add now I cant get it started acts like the battery is dead which has me concerned be couse its brand new as well as the alt, hit the switch and the solinoid just clicks like a dead bat ya know hod it running 15/20 min no way it should be dead.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:57 PM

ok I got it started again seems to at least try and idle but so ruff that i can seem to tell a diference no matter what I do. and the exaust is so strong I couldnt stand to be in the shop with it ruuning does anyone know where I might find a good vacum diagram Im assumeing I have a serius vacume leak I will try and spend some time tomorow looking for anything cause so far nothing is jumping out at me.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:47 PM

a quick way to find a vacuum leak is to get a can of carb cleaner or brake parts cleaner and sprayit around all of you vacuum. if it starts to run differant you have a vacuum leak. this way it helps to point the leak out.

this may be way off. but when my alternator quite on me while driving my ecu only had my battery to run off and it drained the battery and started running really really bad.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:57 PM

you know twisted when I got it running again "I found my alt plug not seated completely" but it did seem to run a bit better not a lot but a bit, there are just so many friggen variables I have got to find a way to narrow it down Im gonna start fresh with the things I know arent right and go from there I guess, thanks twisted.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:59 PM

anytime. if you need anything just ask and ill do my best, wheater its my knowledge lloking things up or possibly asking my dad who is a mechanic
Old 06-18-2011, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by twistedyota
anytime. if you need anything just ask and ill do my best, wheater its my knowledge lloking things up or possibly asking my dad who is a mechanic

I really apreciate that man thanks so much, Im sure this is a simple deal and just a matter of finding it. Im still realy happy with the fact that its running and so far the mechanics seem realy solid, had a few oil leaks but seem to have got those took care of so its just a matter of figuring out this little glitch, but man I really want to hang it in gear and take it for a spin LOL.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:23 AM

ok my plan today is to replace reroute and double check all the vacume lines, I hate to do it but Im considering pulling the plenum off just to get a better look at the injector plugs. for as hard as I tried to take it slow and make sure everything was right Im sure I over looked somthing and now am paying for it . but again Im really happy with the mechanics of it the engine sounds really tight. so its just a matter of working out the bugs. happy fathers day to all the dads on here.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:04 PM

Im really let down I have checked and rechecked everything I can think of and nothing really seemed to change, I pulled the dizzy and reset it that seemed to help more than anything, still barely idles somtimes throttle response is smooth other times it acts like its starving for fuel and just bogs down absalutely nothing is consistant except that it wont act right. Im outa time for this round and was really hopeing to have it smoothed out and running good before I left out but it will be here when I get back home and the good thing is it's running so I feal really good about what I ggot done while I was here. sucks that it will be about a month befor I get to spend any real time trying to figure it out.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:49 PM

tht is strange. i dont know why it would act like tht.
Old 06-19-2011, 07:57 PM

Maybe the fuel filter or sometimes the air filter can cause that
Old 06-20-2011, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Will try to come up with some solutions before you get back, wasnt hearing run further then you thought you would get? So wasnt all bad. Have a safe trip. Hope you had a great fathers day.

Quick Reply: Jason in tn's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread