Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA: Project Recycle:

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 02:14 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by irab88
in, because i want more yt emails...

get to it! at this rate, you'll have your 3.4 swap done before me. and i have a 2-year head-start.
Haha. Thanks Ian.
I hope to have at least the suspension done in the spring .

My oldest finally picked a wedding date, 3 states away so the budget just got tighter. That and a planned trip to Alaska for a LRSD reunion are gonna make it tight.

This thing will definitely get a 3.4 or 1UZ at some point.
I admire you for tackling a 3.4 swap. I will probably have Deathcougar and Vital22re do mine at some point.

One little bit at a time.
Thsee guys came in today though

Kind of was hoping for red though...oh well

Last edited by dropzone; 10-26-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 06:12 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by dropzone
I admire you for tackling a 3.4 swap. I will probably have Deathcougar and Vital22re do mine at some point.
thanks, but don't judge the difficulty of a 3.4 swap by my thread. i chose to do it the hard way. with a 3.0-3.4 swap, everything is a hundred times easier. pay for custom exhaust and plug-n-play wiring harness, and you're good to go in a week

anyway, back to your build

did you snag that custom bumper off of your donor 4-runner? it looks like it was also modified (front spring hanger, shock towers, bed platform, winch mount)
Old 10-26-2015, 07:35 PM
Fossilized
Staff

thanks, but don't judge the difficulty of a 3.4 swap by my thread. i chose to do it the hard way. with a 3.0-3.4 swap, everything is a hundred times easier. pay for custom exhaust and plug-n-play wiring harness, and you're good to go in a week
You have seen how long it takes me to do a clutch, one reason I would probably pay to have it done. Will see what sort of deal I find on a donor rig..time will tell.
I know I would like to try to do it without a body lift.

anyway, back to your build
did you snag that custom bumper off of your donor 4-runner? it looks like it was also modified (front spring hanger, shock towers, bed platform, winch mount)
The donor 4runner was a hybrid a friend of mine had done a few body swaps on over the years.
When he bought it 20 years ago it was an 85 Xtra cab frame. He than put a 90 4runner on it, body was beat and 3 years ago he put the 94 body on it.

The front winch mount was beef, 3/8" + plate. Another friend cut most of it off with a plasma. I cut the front winch plate and bumper off the Trekker, it was based on the T-G winch plate, it should bolt right up on the 4Runner.

The rear bumper was a stout 2" rear swing out bumper that was welded to the frame. I tried to salvage what I could front it. No way I could get it off in one piece, ended up with a ton (literally ) of material from it.
I kind of want to get a 4xinnovations rear bumper.

Last edited by dropzone; 10-29-2015 at 02:53 AM.
Old 10-26-2015, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I just looked at Slackers thread and seen some of the wiring he is going to do for a 3.4 swap. That is enough to run me off from a swap, but if they have harnesses premade for something like that, I don't think it would be a bad job at all. A donor rig will pop up when the time is right.

Wedding and a reunion sounds like it is going to be a great time for you. I got some of those red bushings in as well and think they will make a difference when/if I ever decide to get around to getting them on. They feel like they are great quality.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:11 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I just looked at Slackers thread and seen some of the wiring he is going to do for a 3.4 swap. That is enough to run me off from a swap, but if they have harnesses premade for something like that, I don't think it would be a bad job at all. A donor rig will pop up when the time is right.

Wedding and a reunion sounds like it is going to be a great time for you. I got some of those red bushings in as well and think they will make a difference when/if I ever decide to get around to getting them on. They feel like they are great quality.
If I tackle it myself (which I doubt I will) this is the harness I will probably get
ORS 3.4 Auto conversion harness It is $700 but seems to help alleviate some of the trial and error.

The wedding should be fun, it will be in Colorado so I am going to try to time it to make a run with some of the Colorado based wheelers. I would love to spend the day on Holy Cross if I can ride shotgun with someone.

The unit reunion should be great. I was on a long range surveillance team in Alaska, sort of like a LRRP team. 5-6 guys 50-60 miles behind the lines. Self sufficient unit and literally a Brotherhood. Been way too long since I have seen some of these guys. It was a great unit to be in.

We did everything from Airborne insertions to small boat ops from Alaska to Hawaii,
for several years spent more time with these guys than my family
Unfortunately in the last several years a lot of them were killed overseas in Iraq and Afghanistan

Last edited by dropzone; 10-29-2015 at 03:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Eward74 (08-23-2021)
Old 10-29-2015, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I would go with the harness as I think it would save several hundred dollars in aspirin for the head ache to make it all work. That would be great to get a chance to go wheel in Colorado.

I have got to see some of the guys from my active duty Navy days and it is funny how we all have gotten a little fatter, little more grayer, and a little more bald as we aged. Even though time as moved a lot since those days, it still feels like yesterday when I last seen them and how quick the bonds are still there and time really hasn't changed a whole lot between us. I think you will really enjoy seeing them and just how fortunate you were to have been active.

I have been to Iraq and Afghanistan with the Missouri National Guard. When I went to Afghanistan, they had a group from your area, the 5? something gun bunnies, a South Dakota National Guard, Georgia National Guard and my unit the 203rd Forward Support Company all in the same group. We lost 6 guys out of our group and one was a friend of mine. There was a few times I wanted to wet my pants over there but I will say going with my local unit that I am very fortunate that these guys are local to me and I get to see them on a weekly to monthly basis.

That is one thing the military does offer that you don't find in the civilian world when you get out of active duty that you always miss. It just isn't the same. I am retired now from the military but I can still go back in until I hit age 60 and have thought about getting back in the guard in a year or so. I have told my local unit that if they ever had to go back to the sandbox that I would sign back up in a minute. Some of these guys are more family to me then my own family members.

You are going to have a great time and enjoy some memories that a large majority of the people have missed out on. In some ways was some of the best times of your life. Being young, dumb, and irresponsible and the military paid for it all, lol, some of the things we got away with and did makes you wonder how we made it to older age.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:15 AM
Fossilized
Staff

there were a few guard units from Oregon that have been over there.
Some guys at work got back a few months ago, most of them seem to have stayed at the FOB's.

I didn't know that you had retired from the Navy. Were you surface fleet, bubble head or ..? When I first started at Intel about half my module had been on subs, extremely smart folks to work with.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I was part of the road clearing crew for IEDs, I hauled the equipment and trucks that got tore up on the roads. A day on the FOB was a safe day for us.

When I as on the USS Okinawa, I was a Close In Weapons System (CIWS) tech. CIWS is the white R2D2 with a 6 barrel gun you see on all ships. We decommissioned the Okinawa in '92 so then I went to the USS Peleliu and I was a MK86 tech on the USS Peleliu which was the electronics for the 5 inch guns. It had a surface radar and an air radar.

I have not seen it in a while but on American History Channel or the Military Channel, the USS Peleliu was the test platform for the Rolling Air Frame Missile (RAM). You don't see me in the show but my department, made up of 10 of us, was the ones that are responsible for maintaining it. We shot 4 missiles that day and the show only showed 2 being shot. I forget how fast it was when it leaves the tube but it was fast. I did not get to push the button that launched it but was part of safety to make sure no one got to close to it. The back blast was hot and it was fast.

CIWS is limited to it distance on shooting down incoming threats. It could track up to a number of targets but did not start locking on to them at number of mile range and start shooting at X mile range if I recall the distances right. Missile and aircraft speeds at Mach 1 and 2 literally only leaves seconds to respond. RAM was developed to extend that barrier that CIWS cannot cover and both system are the last ditch self defense systems.

The Nuclear and SEALs had a higher amount of washouts. The electronic field was the third highest washout rate. They tried to get me to go Nuclear but I knew I was not strong enough in math to make it with out getting kicked out. The SEALs is tough and they like to freeze their butts off in training and I cant take the cold. I really don't think I would of ever had the physical strength to pass SEAL training. I knew some guys that failed out of training that I was sure would pass. The ones that do make it are some of the best out there.

I was Navy 90-96 and the rest was guard. I did Iraq in 03-04 and Afghanistan in 09-10. In '05 I got laid off from my job shortly after returning from Iraq so I went to work for KBR from 05-07. I seen on a Staff thread that one of Coreys sons friend got killed in Iraq. My job while working with KBR I worked on various equipment and one was ice machines. I worked from 7pm til 7am and when a body came in, I had to be at the Morgue for assistance where needed and make sure the ice machines were not having any problems or be ready to get more ice from other machines if needed. If his sons friend came in the evening time, there was a good chance that I helped the military get him home. One of the most rewarding jobs I ever had. What goes on behind the scenes to return a fallen soldier was amazing. Everybody involved was truly professional and did their job to the best as possible.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-30-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Robb,

Looks good. Very excited to see the parts roll in. When your ready for duels let me know and I take care of you.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:30 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by 85toyman
Robb,

Looks good. Very excited to see the parts roll in. When your ready for duels let me know and I take care of you.
Will do Don. I am pretty sure I will be able to use my existing dual cases with the Inchworm adapter from Low Range Off Road.
I placed an order for most of the suspension brackets from Low Range Off Road but some of the brackets were missing so now I am in a shipping dispute with them. They say they were shipped but I don't have them.
I don't want to rub them the wrong way too far because to the best of my knowledge they are the only ones that carry the correct auto to geared t/c adapter I need.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:57 PM

Wink

Will do Don. I am pretty sure I will be able to use my existing dual cases with the Inchworm adapter from Low Range Off Road.
I placed an order for most of the suspension brackets from Low Range Off Road but some of the brackets were missing so now I am in a shipping dispute with them. They say they were shipped but I don't have them.
I don't want to rub them the wrong way too far because to the best of my knowledge they are the only ones that carry the correct auto to geared t/c adapter I need.
I am a dealer so if you need assistance let me know. All you will need is the auto adaptor to RF1A. Then the rest of your duels will bolt up.... let me know when your ready and I would be happy to help you get the adaptor.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:18 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by 85toyman
I am a dealer so if you need assistance let me know. All you will need is the auto adaptor to RF1A. Then the rest of your duels will bolt up.... let me know when your ready and I would be happy to help you get the adaptor.
I need to keep that in mind, sometimes I forget you also sell parts too. ..
That would be great on the adapter.

So part of my original plan was to swap the Truck Lite LED's from the 81 to the 94. I was getting frustrated trying to find the headlight mounts and grills I would need. Mentioned it to a friend at work, he said i'll buy your lights...so they are going to be mounted in an 88 4runner with a 3.4.

Another friend is slowly getting rid of stuff off a 95 so he gave me a set of headlights.
I was cleaning them up and thought what the heck, haven't pissed off the missus in awhile
Old 11-08-2015, 02:22 PM

I need to keep that in mind, sometimes I forget you also sell parts too. ..
That would be great on the adapter.

So part of my original plan was to swap the Truck Lite LED's from the 81 to the 94. I was getting frustrated trying to find the headlight mounts and grills I would need. Mentioned it to a friend at work, he said i'll buy your lights...so they are going to be mounted in an 88 4runner with a 3.4.

Another friend is slowly getting rid of stuff off a 95 so he gave me a set of headlights.
I was cleaning them up and thought what the heck, haven't pissed off the missus in awhile
Lol. I just asked the wife what the consequences would be and she just looked at me with a glare and said try it and find out....
Old 11-08-2015, 02:26 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Haha...she wasn't exactly thrilled when I had a ring gear in the oven at 225° a few yeara ago..
I think our wives would get along!
Old 11-08-2015, 02:38 PM

That's hillaruous. If yours is anything like mine. She just looks at what I am doing as if I'm crazy and then says I am glad your Toyota's make you happy!!!
Old 11-08-2015, 02:39 PM

I think they would get along too!!! Time for a family trail day.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I would have departed this earth if my wife found out that I did that! You are a brave man sir!
Old 11-09-2015, 03:14 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Originally Posted by kawazx636
I would have departed this earth if my wife found out that I did that! You are a brave man sir!
I camouflaged them by doing dishes the last couple of days and squeezed them in between loads

I think a lot of you know I buy crap (especially LED's) and sometimes forget about them.
Found some high power emergency vehicle LED's I was gonna use on the Trekker..
Thinking about mounting them on the mirrors as additional turn signals

Going to also try a $15 ebay experiment and hopefully add heated mirrors to this hunk

Also poop canned the stupid chrome fender trim & running boards

Last edited by dropzone; 11-09-2015 at 03:49 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 03:52 PM

I like the heated mirrors idea! keep us posted how that one goes....
Old 11-10-2015, 06:04 AM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
do you have a link for the mirror heaters?

also, you could do up a simple bracket for the mirror lights:

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...orary-1081.jpg
http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...porary-993.jpg

that way, when you take the doors off, you won't need to unplug them

Quick Reply: Dropzone's 1994 4runner Build AKA: Project Recycle: