86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dee 1994 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 11:55 AM
Dee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dee 1994 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Well, I've been debating and debating and finally decided to post a build-up thread. I'm new to tinkering with vehicles, and don't have much knowledge of them, but I'm learning. This truck is my DD, and am hoping to add a bit of things for comfort, and for a bit of off roading. At the moment a lot of what I'm doing is just for looks, and performance is really later because I simply don't know enough to do much right now. With time though! I decided a build-up thread is just a nice way to consolidate all the changes and future changes mostly for my own benefit. =]

I bought this truck from someone in Georgia and I live in Upper Michigan, big change. It's a really solid looking truck, no rust and barely any scratches and dents, and only 104xxx miles. Although the rear bumper looks like it was taken off a rusty truck and stuck on mine. They also didn't seem to give it as much attention as I have. Like the battery needs to be replaced, the tires were bald, needed an oil change, as well as just general things that should be taken care of. That's alright though. =]

When I brought her home, this is what she looked like.

How she sits currently.(Less mud though)

Last edited by Dee; 07-14-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:56 AM

Nice, welcome and good luck............
Old 12-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Dee

The goodies!

My dad gave me this metal gas can. Yay

A large hard plastic box my mom gave me. I spray painted it to go along with the nickname my friends gave my truck, The watermelon.

The tires/rims I bought, they don't fit because they rub on my fenders. Hopefully I can fix that later. Haha

How awesome my truck looks with those tires/rims.

Painted my skid plate pink with seeds, one step closer to being "The Watermelon".

Removal of my mudflaps, Not sure if I like it, but that's how it is right now.

Then about a week ago I hit a deer when driving home. =/ Luckily not much damage was done.

Picture of the damage.

My light is out of place, and doesn't work.

Last picture for now, and shows my current tires on it.

I also have a factory brushguard from a 94 4runner, but I need to sand it down and repaint it then toss it on the truck.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:30 PM

Nice Rig.. Sorry about the deer that's a bummer =(
Old 12-19-2011, 07:59 PM
Dee

Thanks, and yeah it's an all around solid clean truck. A lot of why I'm not planning anything terribly crazy. Maybe after I start taking her out and bang her up. Haha.

Yeah, it was my first time hitting a deer, which is crazy, I live in the middle of nowhere with prime hunting land all around me. I'm just glad it was in this and not my previous vehicle, it was a buick. I hit the deer straight on. Good news though, my brother-in-law owns a scrap yard up here and I can pick over any Toyotas he gets in. Sadly he pretty much crushes everything he gets in as soon as he can, but now he knows to save the Toyotas for me to check out. =]
Old 12-19-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think it's totalled, I'll give you $500 for it !!!! J/Kidding!!!! ;}LOL

Looks like an easy fix.

Better check local laws on mud flaps, some area's require them...

Easy fast way and cheap way to gain clearence for tires is a 2 to 3 inch body lift...

If you do a body lift, the factory grille guard you have might not work, find out first...

Ps. Welcome to Yotatech :}
Old 12-19-2011, 08:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome!

Nice looking truck, shame you hit the deer and messed up the bumper, but now you have an excuse for an offroad bumper!!

I think you'll find that this modding thing becomes addicting.

Stay on here long enough and you may come across 3 or 4 of my build threads hah

Happy modding!

-Brian
Old 12-19-2011, 08:35 PM
Dee

I probably would have cried had I totaled it, then I would have searched for my second Toyota(I'm hooked!). I paid 3500 for her originally, I like to think I made out fairly well.

Yeah, I can bend stuff back into place and deal with the lights. Overall seems easy enough. Yeah, after lurking on here for awhile I noticed someone mention mudflaps to keep the cops off them. I've yet to get pulled over, but I also haven't looked into the laws on it, thanks for reminding me!

As far as lift, I'm not to sure about that much. I think 31s, which is the size I'm running and plan to run, look kind of silly with that much body lift. I'm considering BJ spacers, and add a leaf. need more research on my part. Plus, I'm a short girl, topping out at a grand 5'1", and even now it's a feat to get in(okay I may be exaggerating a bit). Plus my co-pilot(my dog) is getting older everyday and she's still able to jump in but not sure for how much longer.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm pretty excited about my truck. On a side note, if I recall correctly I've drooled over your truck before. Haha.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Dee

Darn Brian! You posted just as I sent my last reply. Haha. Also an off-road bumper is something I've been considering but had decided against at least for awhile, but now I'm just more eager to get a new bumper!

As far as Modding goes, I've barely got into it and I'm hooked. My friends just tune me out when I start talking about my truck or they mumble "truck truck truck" at me. Haha. I think once I really start messing with it and learn more I'll be unstoppable.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dee
I probably would have cried had I totaled it, then I would have searched for my second Toyota(I'm hooked!). I paid 3500 for her originally, I like to think I made out fairly well.

Yeah, I can bend stuff back into place and deal with the lights. Overall seems easy enough. Yeah, after lurking on here for awhile I noticed someone mention mudflaps to keep the cops off them. I've yet to get pulled over, but I also haven't looked into the laws on it, thanks for reminding me!

As far as lift, I'm not to sure about that much. I think 31s, which is the size I'm running and plan to run, look kind of silly with that much body lift. I'm considering BJ spacers, and add a leaf. need more research on my part. Plus, I'm a short girl, topping out at a grand 5'1", and even now it's a feat to get in(okay I may be exaggerating a bit). Plus my co-pilot(my dog) is getting older everyday and she's still able to jump in but not sure for how much longer.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm pretty excited about my truck. On a side note, if I recall correctly I've drooled over your truck before. Haha.

I have 1.5" BJ spacers and the rear add-a-leaf on my 4Runner (got it because it was a cheap way to fit, at the time 31's now I want 33's). I really don't have any complaints with the lift other than maybe it's a bit stiffer but honestly it's no big deal.

As far as height goes, you're the opposite, i'm 6'7" lol but even with a modest lift (2") you should still have no problem climbing into the truck.

On a side note, if I recall correctly I've drooled over your truck before. haha

That's just awesome!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:53 PM

The tire rim set you have on there in that one pic are pretty wide, so I'm not surprised it rubs a little, put on some BFG KO's or KM's at size 31x10.50's on your factory rims and that will give you a little lift from taller tires than those other ones, I'm not a fan of the wider rims and tires, flings up to much crap all over the body :{

U need an ARB bull bar :}

Check out my build thread, It's very informative on upgrades/adding SR-5 items to a DLX :}
Old 12-19-2011, 09:20 PM
Dee

Yeah, I am at least looking into a mild lift of some sort, a problem I have is I'm pretty fond of the Maxxis tires, plus I Think the rims look pretty slick, I also bought them for 800 or 900, can't recall exactly. They were practically new from a co-worker whenhis truck got flooded from hurricane Irene in NC was doing storm cleanup out that way. I've heard mixed opinions on the trespass for the price, but I have a hard time parting with them because of price and I refuse to lose money on them. I do have access to a decent set of aluminum rims which will sit similar to my stock rims and look kind of like the ones I want to run, but then I have to decide what to do with my old rims.

The tires I'm running on my stock rims now are... Hmm, I'll look in the morning but they are 31/10.50 and the wide set look of the other tires is all because of the rims being so deep set, the bighorns are 31/10.50. And yeah, I know it slings stuff, but I do really like the look, pretty fierce looking.

And an arb bumper is exactly what I want. Hehe. They look soooo good.But a front bumper is lower on my list of wants. I'll have to upload pictures of my rear bumper, the thing is so rusty it's not even funny. I also need to do some general maintenance before I get to crazy. But trust me this baby is going to be rocking once I get rolling.

I'll have to look over both of your threads, although I've checked into both of them before, I'm sure there is more fun stuff posted. Haha.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:24 PM

You could also introduce your truck to the saw-zall and BFH.
Just the pinch weld anyway. if that is where its rubbing...
Old 12-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Dee

Funny you should mention that, I was considering it but since my truck was in such nice shape I was weary of getting terribly crazy. At this point I've fallen in love with the truck and doubt I'll ditch her anytime soon, so it looks like she may get some quick modifications to fit my tires. I wish I had taken pictures of the rubbing when I had those tires on.

I don't know how to weld, and I'm really taking a leap by having bought this truck and the ideas rattling around in my head, but I am incredibly prone to making friends with mechanics and people who can weld. I've been hoping my good friend could throw one of the tires on up front at least and get his own accessment of what I should do, and convince him to then help me out. His wife has an 87 4runner which is really slick looking, and he has messed with that to deal with tire clearance. Her setup is a lot nicer, 3" body lift, and much larger tires.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:39 PM

By pinch weld i just ment the inner fenderwelll where it is most likely rubbing.

I just had to take out a little bit of the plastic liner and two good smacks of a hammer and i can fit 35x12.5s. and you cant even tell when looking at it that i really had to do anything.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:00 PM

It's all personal taste in the end :} As long as your happy :}

I had to remove my bumper cause I bet it's as bad as yours, as soon as it was removed it folded on to it's self, rusted in half at the ball hitch area :}LOL You would of course like the mud flaps check local laws, not illegal to have no rear bumper where I live, I want a Marlin Crawler rear tube bumper and rock rails. Yours also would look awesome with them too :}

I just got done on mine a tilt steering/intermittent wiper install, but I'm 6'2" and your like5'1" and I bet you don't have leg problems like me and swimmer do, does yours have the SR-5 cluster? If you have any questions on your toy or from my thread don't hesitate to ask, I like helping other Yotatechers!!!!

I'm trying to find some aluminum factory rims at a good price, then get the 31 BFG I'm getting and mounted on them, and keep the steelies as spares just in case :}

I subscribed to your build...
Old 12-19-2011, 10:42 PM
Dee

The maxxis rub on the front fender close to the door, not horrible, like I could probably get someone yo crank my torsion bars, but that's not an option I'm terribly interested in because of flex and rough ride.I think it would be an easy fix, just would require some manhandling in some way, Which I was adverse to, now I don't care to much because I figure this truck is sticking around. Also the tires barely clear the front bumper, with wheeling it might be a problem for me, I considered removing the gray part of the bumper, which is a fairly agreeable option since the deer damage(even though I can bend it back into place fairly easily).

Dude, John, I was looking at the Marlin rear bumpers today, very slick looking. Also you were spot on, rusted around the ball on the bumper. The ball was still there when i first saw thw truck, but had fallen off by the time i bought it. I'm pretty fond of the side protection. I'm considering getting a bumper/tire carrier combo. I can't remember the one I was looking at yesterday on here. Wish I could. =/

I'm not quite sure what you mean by sr5 cluster, sorry to show my noob side so quickly, do you have a picture? Thanks for the offer of advice, I really appreciate it, I jumped into this blind, but at least it's fun.

Mostly I only have access to my smart phone, so sorry for any bad spellings, or odd words(auto correct). Hopefully tomorrow I can upload some more pictures though. =]
Old 12-19-2011, 11:16 PM

Standard and DLX trucks have standard odometer and water temp and fuel gauge 3 gauge idiot light cluster, the SR-5 cluster has all the above and a tach and an oil pressure and a volt gauge, for your year if you don't have one and would like to have one, find one from a wreaked SR-5 truck with a 4banger and without speedo cable hook up since your truck has no speedo cable and is has an electric speedo or get one from a 4Runner, but you have to adjust the tach pod on the side of the tach cause it's adjusted for a 6 cylinder, there are several write-ups including my thread...

And any questions just ask, my thread is pretty intense on instructions on doing things, read it and enjoy :}

Ps. Best way to tell an 93 and 94 truck is the third brake light, they were installed in 94 and all the following year trucks, all the 94's I've seen have them and all the 93 and under years I've seen (including mine) so far don't have them from factory:}
Old 12-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Dee

Thanks, I used the search before I asked the information seemed unclear And I just didn't understand what was different or special. I'm guessing that's mostly because I already have the SR-5 cluster. Haha. So I'm sitting here going... what's special, I have that already. Der.

I am reading your build, it's information overload. Trying to digest and and really understand it all is kicking my butt a little. But, I'm still learning! Hehe. Also peer pressure, I may read your build, but I'll never enjoy it! Okay, I lied, I'm really enjoying it. Nice truck. =]

I know about the third tail light difference, and I've been working on being able to guess the year by looks. I have to admit, I hate the look of the third light, makes it look dorky. I looked at removing it, three bolts and a few wires then I'd just have to fill the holes. I just put it all back together for me to deal with later. I might decide I like it, or not hate it so much I want to remove it.

Also, reading your build I may have to look over te parts about the idle surge. I noticed mine surges every once in awhile, not a large surge, and not often. Like it'll surge and go down, surge and go down and do that for awhile, and I'll either drive or shut it off and it doesn't seem to have these surging fits often. Keep in mind I haven't paid much attention to it because I always put it off, but maybe tomorrow I'll spend some quality time with the truck and make an active attempt to study the surge. I've also noticed a few different threads on here about odd rpm surging. It's a lot of information to Wade through, and especially for me. Oh northern star guide me. Haha.

Also, I blame you and your thread for keeping me up this late, almost four!! Okay maybe it's my truck addiction, till tomorrow. Cheers
Old 12-19-2011, 11:55 PM

That is really cool you already got the SR-5 cluster, woo hoo, I had nothing but problems putting a used one in and tried 3 all together and had to replace several gauges, but it's working awesomely now :} Oh sure blame me I don't mind, happens all the time :}LOL

On the TB there is a dime size adjustment screw and it has to be adjusted just right, to far turning to the left it's start surging uncontrolably and turning to the right stops the surging and if that doesn't do it like on my old TB so I just went out and got used one from a wreaked truck and you can infer it was running when wreaked and hope it didn't have a bad TB too and tried it out and wala no more surging, so you might have a going bad TB????

Go to jamesdeancreations.com and look at the strip kits available, each year had different side graphic and that's a good way to tell from year to year, not exact but you'll get the idea...

Last edited by john4wd; 12-19-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Dee 1994 Pickup Build-Up Thread