86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dee 1994 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:45 AM
Dee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I'm happy about the cluster. It's nifty and if I didn't have it, I'd replace it for sure.I was reading your build on yours, that is a bummer it was such a pain, but I bet sure gratifying when it did finally work.

TB? When I looked at the truck my one friend came with me and remarked on the low idle, then my mother had the truck sitting at her house in TN while I ran around the country. Haha, anyways while it was there she had her mechanic friend look it over, he fixed my low idle. Not sure if that's at all relevant.

I have noticed the different stripe variations but have been building my year knowledge off This site and What I saw. Haha.

I thought you were a good place to lay my blame, Haha. I have to feed my new addiction, just think I was using your truck for that. Haha.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TB is throtte body, it's mounted to intake and the tube from the airbox is attached to it and the throttle cable is mounted to it and lots of vac lines and 2 water lines on the bottom and also it's the item with the dime size idle adjustment screw, if you turn it to the left to far it'll surge uncontrolably and to the right it turns down the idle, it sounds like he adjusted it the right way, hope that takes care of your problem...Awesome!!!!

Post some interior pics, like to see how nice it is :}

If you had a ARB bull bar you can go deer hunting without a gun, I won't dodge deer anymore, I'll take them out now I have armor on the front!!!! :}LOL
Old 12-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Dee

Ahh, thanks John. I have a feeling I'll probably say that a lot over the course of the build. As said before I'm going to give my trucksome attention today, look into my slight surge problem.

The inside is pretty clean, one small tear in the side of my bench seat. But hey it's a 94, things almost as old as me. Haha. Then oh how unusual a crack in the dash. It's pretty small. The seats could use a cleaning or seat covers, especially since I let my dog ride shotgun. Then I never got to vacuum/steam my carpet as part of my pre-drive cleaning. I have to completely clean a vehicle before I drive it, makes it feel like it's actually mine. But anyways, I'll have yo snap some pictures and post them up. I like showing off my truck, and especially to someone actually interested. Most of my friends are hardcore gamers, so mostly computer geeks.

I dowant an ARB bumper, so sexy. I'm insanely jealous of yours, and you got it for a steal. I apparently like to hunt deer without the arb bumper. The one I hit was... very dead, and the truck looks awesome considering. Haha. I hunt deer with guns though, so no real need to try and run em down with the truck. I actually got a very nice doe this past rifle season, and passed up a few four pointers.

Question, is your glove box.. flimsy? Mine feels very loose, and hangs oddly when open, I assume some part is broken somewhere. Then it wont latch if you just close it, you need to push it closed, but then grab the latch. It's lame.

P.s. subscribed to your build, your body work is pretty spiffy.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Dee

Accidental double post. I'll just fill it with interior shots of my truck. =]

My cluster, and my current mileage.

I don't have ac, which honestly isn't that bad. i ride with the windows down most of the time anyways. haha

crack in my dash, not terribly large or noticeable

Little dusty vents, my clutchless star, and light dimmer.

Mirror, and my light, three settings. On, Off, come on with open door.

Only flaw in my bench seats.

Rusty bumper, my truck needs a bath. Ignore her dirty salty self. haha

Tires I'm currently running on stock rims. 31/10.50

The bolt is broken to keep my coolant overflow in place. Booo

Passenger side there is a tiny crack by the handle.

The Co-pilot, Lily

Last edited by Dee; 12-20-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: accidental double post, turned to picture overload!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:55 AM

Mine GB is really stiff, I bet your missing a screw some where, or missing a clip above the speaker, there is a 10mm headed bolt under speaker at the very bottom and there is a screw oppasite side on the bottom and there are 3 screws at the top and those keep the top of the box away from the loop that GB uses to latch shut, mine you have to pull out on latch handle to close the easy way, or push it close with a loud noise from it being so stiff from the inside wedge latch, so don't worry about how hard it is to latch it, sound normal, being flimsy could be a missing screw, GL find out :} let me know!!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:36 PM
Dee

Oh! So I looked over my Glovebox this afternoon, and discovered the problem. So the glove box is composed of two parts, a light gray and dark gray part. So I removed a bunch of screws in the front, something like eight total, six smaller, and two bigger for the latch. Then took out the darker gray part and was looking it over. There are suppose to be Five screws in the back, all but one are either lost or the plastic to hold them is broken.

Possible fix is put a screw in the one spot where it's not broken. And hopefully that would help with the flimsy problem. Or at least help with it a little. Or I can wait to get the darker gray part from a donor that isn't broken. =] I'm feeling pretty satisfied by this little information. haha

Also yeah, my glove box does close if you force it a bit, so I guess like yours it's simply stiff there.

More pictures? Okay!!

Just the sun shining, it was a pretty nice day today. Low 30s, and sunny. Good winter weather. I'm sitting in my passenger seat from working on the Glovebox, feels weird. haha

My brushguard, really needs to be sanded down and repainted.

Even says Toyota on it!
Old 12-20-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the exact same brushguard on my 4Runner!
Old 12-20-2011, 06:23 PM
Dee

What did you Think of it? It's my temp solution till I can get a front bumper. Plus I think brushguards look slick. I'm also considering lights for it at some point.

My understanding is this was an option, and my brother-in-law gave it to me for free, he said it came off a 94 4runner, but it's also my understanding you can put these on any of the trucks/4runners in this grouping.

Your 4runner build is crazy long, but I'm enjoying it so far. I may end up talking to you a little about spacers and shocks. Not right now though, I want to get through your build, and the ends to pump into my truck. =] Nice build so far though.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:59 AM

Dee, looks like you need a heavy duty type bumper, so next time its truck 0 deer 1..LOL
Old 12-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Dee

Haha, I agree. An ARB bumper is in the future. The brushguard is going on till I can get the money for the new bumper. Haha.

Plus on the last page I posted pictures of my rear bumper, which is something I really want to replace. =]
Old 12-21-2011, 12:17 PM

Looks like a great build! I'm not familiar with Michigan but here in Maryland, I haven't gotten hassled by the cops for lack of mudflaps or my tires sticking out too far. A stock toyota truck, such as ours, should be able to accommadate a 32x11.5 or a 33x10.5 tire. I'm running 32s and I'm having that same rubbing problem. It is just the wrong rim offset that is giving me the problem. I've been driving with it like that for about 6 months and I'm just waiting for the bottoms of the fenders to rust out a little more before I fix it xD
Old 12-21-2011, 12:27 PM
Dee

Thanks, and so far I haven't gotten any hassling about lack of flaps. Don't know about the tires since I'm not running them yet, but to clear I could do it with pounding of a hammer, or torsion bar cranking. And yeah, the rubbing on mine is all because of the rim offset. I was pretty upset at first when the rubbed because I really wanted to run them, but now I'm just putting it off for a bit. Haha.

Also on the subject of mudflaps, I've looked online and it seems confusing on if it's Okay to run without them. Oh well, till I get stopped, I'm not going to worry to much.

Rusty fenders!! Ahhhhhh, my truck is pretty much rust free, it came from Georgia, so I can't wait on parts to rust out or anything. Haha.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:44 PM

It is only rusted at the very bottom where the two bolts are and where the black plastic fender liner bolts to it. When I go to patch it, I'm gonna make a patch that is angled so there is more clearance and hammer the pinch weld. As for the mud flaps, I only took mine off because it looks better. I could really care less if it is illegal xD
Old 12-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Dee

Yeah, I'm hoping to visit my buddy soon and have him throw my tires on and decide if I'm going to hammer it out or not. He's been crazy busy. It's kind of a pain for me to change tires, the Jack I have is to short, the tires are set so deep I can't use my tire iron, and holy smokes... tires are heavy, it's kind of cute to watch me move them around. Haha.

When I was looking for trucks I didn't know how to drive a stick, so I had brought a friend along to test drive the truck And get his opinion. After it was all said Ans done he looked at it and was Like.. "it's a Toyota, the mud flaps have to go." Haha. I was also missing a front one, plus my mom likes it more.. I'm still undecided if I like it more.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:18 PM

That was first thought "New rims and tires and lose the mudflaps". It looks good without the mudflaps but with the new tires, I've noticed that it is almost impossible to keep the side of my truck clean xD I've been recently thinking about putting back on, but trimming the bottoms so they're not so friggin' big, just enough so that everything on the road doesn't end up on the side of my truck.

Now I have to ask, and this may sound stupid, when you hit that deer, did your truck deeroplane?
Old 12-21-2011, 02:35 PM
Dee

Yeah, I've heard that's a problem, but I kind of baby my vehicles so it'll be washed. A lot. I'm just glad I moved recently, I don't live on a dirtroad anymore. Yay!

Hahahaha, deeroplane?!? Oh, I'm giggling at that. I'd have to say no though. It ran from the left, hit close to the right side where the damage is. Then the deer spun around from getting hit, I think it's head hit my skid plate, big dent in it. Then a bunch of fur tuffed all over under my truck. I'm pretty sure I had part of it's liver on my rear bumper too.. Haha. It was a rough scene. Regardless I hit it with the right side, then it mostly went between my tires, under the truck.

P.s. Do you have a build up thread? I'll have to check it out if so, I'm still working through swimmers. But I'll need to feed my addiction when I finish his. Haha.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:52 PM

I don't really mind if the outside gets dirty. It's just the dents and rust that bother me. When the inside gets dirty, however, it bugs me to no end.

Deeroplaning: Verb. The traction loss occured when running over a deer (living or dead) in the road. Similar to hydroplaning, however water is not involved. This term was coined by Shawn Krause after he hit a dead deer on the freeway in October of 2011 and cannot be used without the consent of said creator...just kidding xD

It's a shame that it damaged that freshly painted skid plate...

As for my build thread, there is a link in my signature. It is not NEARLY as long, descriptive, or entertaining as Swimmers thread though
|
|
|
v
Old 12-21-2011, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dee
What did you Think of it? It's my temp solution till I can get a front bumper. Plus I think brushguards look slick. I'm also considering lights for it at some point.

My understanding is this was an option, and my brother-in-law gave it to me for free, he said it came off a 94 4runner, but it's also my understanding you can put these on any of the trucks/4runners in this grouping.

Your 4runner build is crazy long, but I'm enjoying it so far. I may end up talking to you a little about spacers and shocks. Not right now though, I want to get through your build, and the ends to pump into my truck. =] Nice build so far though.

I ended up taking off the headlight covers and repainting it with walmart bed liner. It came out really nice, I can post up a pic if you want to see.

You can put these brush guards on any 4Runner or Pickup from 86-95.

Feel free to shoot me a message or leave a comment on my build thread if you have any more questions. Glad you're enjoying my build thread!

-Brian
Old 12-21-2011, 05:50 PM
Dee

Dents are a pain, but if you take it off road, I don't think it'd bother you so much. Hehe. And yeah, my truck is so small it's hard to keep uncluttered, but I can understand keeping it clean. My mats are kind of dirty from the snow and ice and shenegains, but that's it.

Plus side, my paint job isn't messed up, just dented.

Roger, I mostly use my smartphone, doesn't show signatures in mobile mode. But I will find your build, and no worries his is almost to long. Hehe. Plus who the heck paints their rig yellow! Jk

I got to the part with your brushguard, not sure what I think of it. I'm not terribly fond of how it looks on your 4runner, hope it looks better on mine. =/

Yeah, I'm waiting on funds for my lift, kooking to go the way you went. I'm right at the part in your build now. Haha.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dee
Dents are a pain, but if you take it off road, I don't think it'd bother you so much. Hehe. And yeah, my truck is so small it's hard to keep uncluttered, but I can understand keeping it clean. My mats are kind of dirty from the snow and ice and shenegains, but that's it.

Plus side, my paint job isn't messed up, just dented.

Roger, I mostly use my smartphone, doesn't show signatures in mobile mode. But I will find your build, and no worries his is almost to long. Hehe. Plus who the heck paints their rig yellow! Jk

I got to the part with your brushguard, not sure what I think of it. I'm not terribly fond of how it looks on your 4runner, hope it looks better on mine. =/

Yeah, I'm waiting on funds for my lift, kooking to go the way you went. I'm right at the part in your build now. Haha.

Hahah ill let you get back to reading lol

Quick Reply: Dee 1994 Pickup Build-Up Thread