86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dee 1994 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dee
Poor starving college student. Hehe.
Same here. It's bad enough getting the money to keep it running, let alone putting mods on it.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Dee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha, I'd kill for some off-road buddies up here in the UP. I know there are trails and such but I don't want to go alone, because cell signal can be shady and I don't have a winch.

His bumper is close to what I want, like I'm on the fence. Tube bumpers look nice, but if I get an ARB bumper, I want a similar matching one.. I'll figure it out.

I have another friend who said he'd build me a bumper if I bought all the material, but he also lives in North Carolina. Not sure when I'll head back out that way, he also really wants to take me out wheeling and to places I'll get stuck(what a true friend!) Haha.

Thanks for the link.

Haynes.

I always somehow find money for gas. Michigan has a can deposit, so each can you return in 10¢. Well I've been given cans by people who don't like returning them and Just want Then gone, and I have a huge collection that needs to get returned.

A lot of people told me I was a little stupid for getting my truck, as far as gas mileage. But man, I love driving it, and that really makes it worth it to me.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:43 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Nice looking truck dee. Throw those other tires on a trim the fenders a bit. Theyll fit fine!

Have you seen the warn rear bumper, might be what your looking for. They also make a front.

http://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-s...r_toyota.shtml

Another company, SKY MFG makes bumpers like the style you seem to be after.

http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/new...uct.php?id=221

Good Luck!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dee,
Check out the Factory Service Manuals (FSM) here for the model/year closest to yours:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

Nothing like the real thing..... Haynes and Chiltons can be sketchy at times.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:15 PM
Dee

Thanks, both of you.

I was looking at the warn rear bumper. Very nice looking.

I think bumpers or lift are the top on my list of wants.

I think I will throw my tires on. I'm sick of having nice tires I really want to run, and not running them. They sit at the house looking nice. Haha.

As a side note, am I able to take a leaf from a different vehicle and substitute them in? What All matters when it comes to that? I can get leafs for free, so I'd rather just go that way instead of paying for a kit that includes. Haha. My question may seem stupid, but I just want to be sure.

My brother in law got a older Jeep into his scrap yard that was someone's project. Lots of money and time in it, the Guy needed Christmas money and sold it as scrap and got 360 for it.. the thing has a locker, a winch, and a bunch of other goodies... jeez, what a steal. Haha
Old 12-27-2011, 06:36 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
You can use pretty much any spring that the same with of your current pack. You want to look for springs with about the same thickness and arch of your current ones, so they flex together instead of against each other.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:16 AM
Dee

Gotcha, question on the leaf springs, if I add in what is the expected height gain. I've Bern looking, bit the information is difficult to find, or confusing. Bleh.

In other news, I hit some black ice when I was driving last night. That was a new experience.. Haha. I got introduced to the ditch rather rudely. Good news, no damage, and my four wheel drive works great.

I am just not having much luck this year with my vehicle. Oh well.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas, and maybe got parts for their trucks. Hehe
Old 12-28-2011, 11:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh man you gotta keep this truck on the road and away from deer!!

Get anything for your truck for x-mas?
Old 12-28-2011, 01:00 PM
Dee

I know! Ugh. My truck is such nice shape, I Think it's the UP's way of being like Haha, I'm going to make your truck look Like all the other trucks up here. Haha.

This Christmas was probably my lamest Christmas yet. Haha. I usually spend it with my ex's family, but since him and I broke up it's really not appropriate to go to their house. Haha. Regardless a few months back my mom gave me some things. A Jack, tire iron, my Haynes manual, and front brake pads, then the Jerry can was from my father for Christmas. Not terribly exciting things, but still cool doodads. I hope you got your sliders on already!!-cough-slacker-cough-
Old 12-28-2011, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dee
I know! Ugh. My truck is such nice shape, I Think it's the UP's way of being like Haha, I'm going to make your truck look Like all the other trucks up here. Haha.

This Christmas was probably my lamest Christmas yet. Haha. I usually spend it with my ex's family, but since him and I broke up it's really not appropriate to go to their house. Haha. Regardless a few months back my mom gave me some things. A Jack, tire iron, my Haynes manual, and front brake pads, then the Jerry can was from my father for Christmas. Not terribly exciting things, but still cool doodads. I hope you got your sliders on already!!-cough-slacker-cough-

Wow nice parents, all I got was cloths........
Old 12-28-2011, 02:14 PM
Dee

That's really about all I got though. Haha. Other things were homemade cookies my mom made, 50 dollar gift card, a black bear skull, scratch tickets, chocolates, and a pen with a mustache on it. Haha. Maybe I just make out like a bandit most years, so this year was disappointing. Haha

I hope they are some nice clothes! Plus side, you may be able to wear them when you wheel. Hehe.

I got invited to go out wheeling two days ago, it would have been me in my truck, a friend and his wife in their 4runner, and my brother in law who might have tried to wheel his duramax, or to catch a ride with one of us. Haha. Sadly I had some previous plans, and we got more snow now so those guys wont want to do anything till spring. They will be to busy snowmobiling. =[ I don't have a sled, so I'm left out on those adventures.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sliders... uhhh... right...

I'm such a slacker.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:35 PM

Lol

Originally Posted by john4wd
It's all personal taste in the end :} As long as your happy :}

I had to remove my bumper cause I bet it's as bad as yours, as soon as it was removed it folded on to it's self, rusted in half at the ball hitch area :}LOL You would of course like the mud flaps check local laws, not illegal to have no rear bumper where I live, I want a Marlin Crawler rear tube bumper and rock rails. Yours also would look awesome with them too :}

I just got done on mine a tilt steering/intermittent wiper install, but I'm 6'2" and your like5'1" and I bet you don't have leg problems like me and swimmer do, does yours have the SR-5 cluster? If you have any questions on your toy or from my thread don't hesitate to ask, I like helping other Yotatechers!!!!

I'm trying to find some aluminum factory rims at a good price, then get the 31 BFG I'm getting and mounted on them, and keep the steelies as spares just in case :}

I subscribed to your build...

My P/U is exactly like yours.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Dee

Welcome to yotatech(even though I'm new myself) Hehe.

Brian! Slacker! Hehe. I'm not any better. I haven't done anything with my brushguard yet.. maybe tomorrow. Haha. Also get Amy goodies for the truck?
Old 12-29-2011, 01:23 PM

I would prep the brush guard for painting, but if your doing the painting outside better wait till spring or Indian summer for temps to get over 50 most spay paints needs above 50 and low humidity, read can and see what it says, Yours is gonna look great with it on your truck :} Not sure about others, but when I paint in-doors I get a nasty headache, I like it warm outside in the shade and no wind, Good luck :}

Ps. No Runs, No drips, No errors :}LOL
Old 12-29-2011, 01:30 PM
Dee

Well if nothing else I really need to prep it. My buddy has a heated garage, and invited me over to work on my brushguard before. But I didn't have time then. Prep work tomorrow... maybe. Haha
Old 12-29-2011, 01:59 PM

That is a cool deal, wish I had an enclosed heated garage/barn, one I'm using isn't and has open end and cold cold cold :}LOL But I am thankful it has a roof, slightly leaking in spots but I've managed to work through a couple pop up thunder storms, one was bad enough to have tornado wanings and some reported sightings, but turned out to be nothing, whew :}LOL

Have you gone through my thread, I'm working on my toolbox right now, will have pics up on how it turned out tomorrow evening :}
Old 12-29-2011, 02:16 PM
Dee

Yeah, I'm a little lucky at times. He's a mechanic, so he does his business out of there. =]

Good thing about the UP, the worst we have is snow. Haha. My dad has a garage at his house, but it has his summer car, a four Wheeler, and a bunch of junk. So I can't put my truck in there. Boo.

I'm subscribed to your build, I Like the toolbox so far. Was waiting on more pictures!!

Four pages on my build! Yay.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:34 PM

yepper!!!! you got 4 pages, woo hoo!!!! More than some :} You get coolent tank bolted back on yet? I saw you posted interior pics and to say that it's not bad at all, low miles on the odo, that's sweet, and tilt wheel and int. wipers that is sweet also, do you need an AC switch or did you take it out? My truck didn't have the belt so I got a new belt and going to put it on in the spring to see if it works and I hope (got fingers crossed) someone took off belt to save an gas, because I too am leaving it off till spring for that reason :}

Finding an uncracked door handle is easy, there every where in salvage yards, not the dash surround they are hard to find, I found one but it was so UV damages and brittle it just cracked when I was cleaning it :{ I had to shell out $81 bucks for a new one so they are available, chicago wharehouse had 3 and I took one already :}

Last edited by john4wd; 12-29-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Dee

Yeah, It's a pretty clean truck with some nifty things. Didn't get the coolant tank bolted back in. The truck didn't come with an AC button. =/

Most of my replies have been chatter and not much on actually building it up. But still! Once I start getting steady money in it'll be easier to get doodads for the truck.

It's a pretty small crack in the dash, and doesn't bother me terribly. I'm just waiting on a Toyota to come into my brother-in-laws scrap yard. I'll pick it over and likely not have to pay, and if I do it'll be at scrap price, so go by weight. =P

I am in a pretty good position to build up a truck. Haha. I just need more knowledge on trucks. Doh.

Quick Reply: Dee 1994 Pickup Build-Up Thread