86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dee 1994 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dee
Roger, I mostly use my smartphone, doesn't show signatures in mobile mode. But I will find your build, and no worries his is almost to long. Hehe. Plus who the heck paints their rig yellow! Jk
Who's Roger? xD

Ok, I'll post a link here: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199.../#post51839287

That yellow comment hurts a bit. My dad painted his Nova Yellow. This pic outta make swimmer happy
Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 AM
Dee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Haha, sorry. I've gotten into the habit of saying roger, as in affirmative. Haha.

Thanks for the link.

The yellow comment was me giving Brian a hard time. I love that 4runner.

Also I got to page 115 at like three last night. I had to sleep. Haha. I'll finish reading his build today.

In other news, my brother in law owns a duramax. He gives me such a hard time for my 4cylinder. Or well did, I let him drive her, And he let up the slack a bit. Hehe, probably one of the funnest vehicles I've driven. His diesel is pretty fun though... he calls my truck a baby truck!

Also, when I bought my truck my mom and I struck up a deal. She would buy my old car, my younger sister is 15. So it'll be her first vehicle. 174xxx miles on her, 3800 v6 engine. I put 74,000 miles on her in two years... Regardless my mom agreed to buy her for 1500, but I won't see that till she gets her tax return. However I'm making plans to stick that money in my truck, or take a little roadtrip down to see my mom and younger siblings in TN. 14 hour drive(if I drive through Wisconsin). I live in the small town of Trenary Michigan, if anyone is curious.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:17 AM

10-4 on the Roger

I used to give my friend a hard time for driving an 85 Toyota until a rode in it. I was all set on buying this old fox Capri to fix up but then I needed more Yota so the search was on for a Toyota truck. Greatest decision ever, however, I sometimes wish I got a fox capri or mustang to scratch that speed itch.

What kind of car is it? You said 3800, so I'm guessing a Pontiac Grand Prix.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:50 AM
Dee

I wanted a Chevy... But I'm not terribly fond of the s10s, I wanted a Colorado. But they Don't started making them in 04, so I couldn't find one in My price range, and that fit all myneeds/wants. I heard about Toyotas, so the search was on. I went and saw my truck and I knew right away I was going to buy it. I still wear my Chevy hat though, my friends and family give me a hard time about it. Haha. But I love my truck, I Think if given a chance to buy any truck, I'd get a little older Toyota or a brand new Colorado, it's a tie. Haha.

Don't laugh, but a Buick regal. She was good to me. Hehe.

P.s. I baby my vehicles, so no need for speed for me. I have a need for offroading though!!
Old 12-22-2011, 03:41 PM

I grew up loving all Chevys, but its just something about a fox mustang...I don't know, I can't describe it. I can't say the same for a Buick Regal though...no, I'm just kidding. What really matters is that it got you from A to B...It's still kinda funny though...a Buick Regal...
Old 12-22-2011, 04:12 PM
Dee

It was an awesome deal for it. =P And yeah, my two friends are very fond of those mustangs.

Also, PICTURES!!

My buick when i first got her. This is at my exes house, Boo boys suck. =P jk

Another picture.

That's how I like to park.. Just kidding, iced over road, so I ended up stuck on the snowbank, had to be pulled off.

And I got a deer with my truck, and I got this doe this past rifle season. Two deer, i did pretty good. haha. God, I look like a dork. I'll redeem myself.

There, where I don't look like a super dork. gagh!

After I got my first Toyota, I had to get another. ;D

Where it rubs with my tire. Finally something truck related. haha

That topper cost me 25, and then I bought some C-clamps. The back is super foggy..

last one, Engine shot.. so dirty...

enjoy!
Old 12-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your local general glass shop can replace that rear topper window if you decide to improve rear visability. And, it won't cost an arm and a leg either. Looks like your topper is shedding a layer of skin....mine is doing the same in a few smaller areas on top.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Dee

I guess I'll look into that. Thanks! I just thought for 25 bucks. Why not, you know? I'm considering eventually doing a sleeping platform and such. Would be pretty cool. =]

It is shedding a bit, but I'm planning to repaint. Take off the clearcoat, and spray paint it a shade closer to my truck.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Contributing Member

You'll get your $25 bucks of worth out of it.
May be of use: http://www.automotivetouchup.com/
Old 12-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Dee

I hope so. Poor starving college student. Hehe.

Thanks for the link. =]
Old 12-22-2011, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dee
Poor starving college student. Hehe.
I remember those days, long years ago. It gets better!!
Old 12-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Dee

It may be awhile. I'm going to school to be a veterinarian, only working on my Bachelors right now. (Actually took a year off, needed a break) but still. =P
Old 12-22-2011, 05:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm actually thinking about going back to school, but i'm making good money right now and wouldn't want to mess that up.

But i say stay in school!!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Dee

The school thing is a little... Odd. I had a bad year, no failed classes, but not great grades, so I plan on retaking some classes. But this last may I was given a chance to go storming in North Carolina. I got paid 100 per day, and worked six days a week. So I couldn't really pass it up. Then after that job ended, I was invited to work in Alabama, getting paid 125 a day and I worked seven days a week. Did that till about sept(used the money from those jobs to buy my truck, buy a handgun for my 21st birthday, and a lot of it went towards gas money, I love to travel.) I could have stopped work, but the money was to good, and so I took the semester off so I could work. Then that job ended, and I went home for a week, I then got a call and was invited to go work in North Carolina again, 150 a day, as well as a bonus, worked six days a week. I was working for my brother-in-law and he left to go home, and i was given a job doing the same thing just for a different person and made 12 an hour 12 hours a day, six days a week. When that ended I was then invited on a trip to Oklahoma, traveled out there, then decided to keep going west. haha. So stopped at a few cool places, grand canyon, petrified forest, vegas, then went to Cali traveled up the coast, then went to my mother's in TN, and stayed there for a few weeks tinkering with the truck, then went home to the UP. Where I'm at now. So I could go to school in january, but I have a feeling I'm better off finding a job and working and saving up some money. Plus I went to school nonstop since I got out of Highschool. it was time for a break. Only problem is I hear it's difficult to get back into it after a break.

I'm not terribly worried, because I know I'll go back eventually. =P

Sorry for my life story. haha.

What do you want to go to school for Brian?

Also, truck related. How do you like the ball joint spacers and such? How much was the kit, and is there anything you would have done different?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dee
The school thing is a little... Odd. I had a bad year, no failed classes, but not great grades, so I plan on retaking some classes. But this last may I was given a chance to go storming in North Carolina. I got paid 100 per day, and worked six days a week. So I couldn't really pass it up. Then after that job ended, I was invited to work in Alabama, getting paid 125 a day and I worked seven days a week. Did that till about sept(used the money from those jobs to buy my truck, buy a handgun for my 21st birthday, and a lot of it went towards gas money, I love to travel.) I could have stopped work, but the money was to good, and so I took the semester off so I could work. Then that job ended, and I went home for a week, I then got a call and was invited to go work in North Carolina again, 150 a day, as well as a bonus, worked six days a week. I was working for my brother-in-law and he left to go home, and i was given a job doing the same thing just for a different person and made 12 an hour 12 hours a day, six days a week. When that ended I was then invited on a trip to Oklahoma, traveled out there, then decided to keep going west. haha. So stopped at a few cool places, grand canyon, petrified forest, vegas, then went to Cali traveled up the coast, then went to my mother's in TN, and stayed there for a few weeks tinkering with the truck, then went home to the UP. Where I'm at now. So I could go to school in january, but I have a feeling I'm better off finding a job and working and saving up some money. Plus I went to school nonstop since I got out of Highschool. it was time for a break. Only problem is I hear it's difficult to get back into it after a break.

I'm not terribly worried, because I know I'll go back eventually. =P

Sorry for my life story. haha.

What do you want to go to school for Brian?

Also, truck related. How do you like the ball joint spacers and such? How much was the kit, and is there anything you would have done different?

Wow so you moved around quite a bit. I've always wanted to do that seems fun. Always time for that i'm still young lol.

I was a mechanical engineering major at Penn State, had a full ride for swimming, tore both rotator cuffs, lost my scholarship and took a full time job plus a coaching job to support myself and my Toyota 4x4 habit.

Sorry not meant to be a sob story lol

If I went back, i'd go for auto repair and try to get hooked up with a Toyota dealership. But what I really want to do is own my own shop and work on Toyota 4x4's all day eh it's nice to dream

Back on topic;

I like the BJ spacers very much, the install was a bit tricky as you need to grind down the lower back lip of the upper control arms to fit the BJ spacers in. Also ALL my bolts were rusty and were a PITA to remove. Other than that, things up front went smoothly, the back was a different story.

As far as the back goes, I did an add-a-leaf with a u-bolt flip kit, this is where I ran into trouble. When you do the u-bolt flip kit, you lose that lower shock mount so I had to drain the gear oil out of my rear 3rd and weld on new shock tabs to the axle so I could mount my shocks. Talk about a PITA!!

All in all it took me and a friend about 14 hours of work spread out over 2 days. It should NEVER take anyone that long to do! lol

The shocks I got were the Procomp ES3000's for the front and the ES9000's for the back. I got the kit from WabFab, i'll see if I can't find the link for you. It was a cheap lift but it works well, and now I can fit 33's

Here's the link;

http://www.wabfab.org/IFS-Lift-Kits/...ypage.tpl.html

My only regret is not going with a nicer set of shocks. The ProComps are OK but i'd rather be rolling around with a set of Bilsteins.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Dee

I grew up an army brat, so I moved around when I was younger. My mom likes to call me her wild child. haha. I just think I have gypsie blood or something. I go on at least two long trips every year, and I use to visit my ex in Detroit(seven hours from me) at least three or four times a year. As I said again, I like to travel, and I always take a chance to travel if I get the chance. haha.

No worries. =P I have a few mechanical engineering friends, not from my univesity though. My school is known more for biology related courses and such. haha. The UP is known for it's wild like feel, or something of the sort.

That sucks about the loss of scholarship. I really hope you can go back someday! I do love your runner, I actually am thinking about a future vehicle, and I love that style, and I'm considering a 4runner(Love the black on yellow, btw, better than white. ;D)

OH! Di you decide on a rear bumper? I'm dying to get one, I included pictures of my current one ont he first page, and it's just rusty and not very functional. You have to be careful about putting weight on it, and have to put it on the hitch reciever, or on the sides where it's attached. Just a pain. Plus I really want a tire carrier, and something to hold my Jerry can.

Thanks for the link, ahh yeah. I think that's my next course of action. I'm sure I can get some help from a friend or my brother-in-law. Also, about Bilsteins, I've been reading it's hard to find the right shocks for the 1.5" lift. I'll have to look into it. How much did you pay for your shocks? I've been using my phone for web surfing, sucks sometimes. But I'll have to go look at the general costs on bilsteins...
Old 12-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Dee

Blond moment, it has the option right there for the procomp. so I'm looking at about 400 all around if I go with those shocks... But I'll have to look at bilsteins.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Dee
I grew up an army brat, so I moved around when I was younger. My mom likes to call me her wild child. haha. I just think I have gypsie blood or something. I go on at least two long trips every year, and I use to visit my ex in Detroit(seven hours from me) at least three or four times a year. As I said again, I like to travel, and I always take a chance to travel if I get the chance. haha.

No worries. =P I have a few mechanical engineering friends, not from my univesity though. My school is known more for biology related courses and such. haha. The UP is known for it's wild like feel, or something of the sort.

That sucks about the loss of scholarship. I really hope you can go back someday! I do love your runner, I actually am thinking about a future vehicle, and I love that style, and I'm considering a 4runner(Love the black on yellow, btw, better than white. ;D)

OH! Di you decide on a rear bumper? I'm dying to get one, I included pictures of my current one ont he first page, and it's just rusty and not very functional. You have to be careful about putting weight on it, and have to put it on the hitch reciever, or on the sides where it's attached. Just a pain. Plus I really want a tire carrier, and something to hold my Jerry can.

Thanks for the link, ahh yeah. I think that's my next course of action. I'm sure I can get some help from a friend or my brother-in-law. Also, about Bilsteins, I've been reading it's hard to find the right shocks for the 1.5" lift. I'll have to look into it. How much did you pay for your shocks? I've been using my phone for web surfing, sucks sometimes. But I'll have to go look at the general costs on bilsteins...
Originally Posted by Dee
Blond moment, it has the option right there for the procomp. so I'm looking at about 400 all around if I go with those shocks... But I'll have to look at bilsteins.
Yeah moving around a lot is alright I guess but it just sucks that you never really get to make many close friends.

As far as the scholarship goes, it's alright, i wasn't really all too serious about school back then and I think if I were to go back, I would take school a lot more seriously.

I'm currently building a bumper/tire carrier that will be nearly identical to RBX's (good friend of mine). It's going VERY SLOWLY though... Just really running out of time.. eh it will get done.

As far as my Tacoma goes, it's also getting a new rear bumper but that one is coming from 4xInnovations! Love those guys! Which reminds me, I need to get my 4xInnovations sliders painted and welded to the 4Runner!

The lift is very helpful and I think makes the truck look 1000X better, plus then you'll be able to fit 33's haha Having friends help is awesome, just as long as they know what they're doing. lol

Yeah about $400 sounds right around what I paid. There is always the option of the 4" drop bracket lift which apparently isn't too hard to put on but 4" is quite a lift for IFS and it's pricey (around $1,000!) Stay with the BJ spacers & add a leaf.

Oh and I forgot to add!! GET A DIFF DROP! That will help keep your CV axels at some more normal angles and prevent damaging the CV joints (I need to replace mine because I didn't get the diff drop). I will be adding a diff drop when I put in my 4.56 gears. In case you don't know, a diff drop is a 1.5" or 2" spacer that goes between the diff and frame to help keep the CV's at normal angles, it really is a must do if you don't want to keep chewing through CV's.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Dee

You get good at making friends. My closet buds are internet People, sounds kind of sad. But the friendship doesn't depend on hanging out, but just conversations online. Easier to maintain.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I was burnt out. I graduated 08, and went nonstop, even in the summer. So i needed a break. I'm much more motivated now.

I wish I really had the knowledge to build my own bumper, I could try but it'd just be... more time than it's worth. Does he have pictures of it on a rig(the bumper).

Get those sliders on!! I love the look o my truck, it looks lifted as is. Haha. But yeah, honestly 1.5 is perfect for me and my needs. Any idea on the bilsteins I'd need? The website makes me go. Ahhhh.

Diff drop, Hmm. A spacer? Premade? Price? Just curious.

Also, my bro-in-law was a mechanic, and runs a scrap yard up here(hoping to score Toyota parts once he gets another one in), and his neighbor is a good friend of mine, and is also a mechanic who had tinkered with his wife's 86(I Think) 4runner.

I do really appreciate the help.

Did you find the manual useful? My lovely mother got me it for Christmas.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dee
You get good at making friends. My closet buds are internet People, sounds kind of sad. But the friendship doesn't depend on hanging out, but just conversations online. Easier to maintain.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I was burnt out. I graduated 08, and went nonstop, even in the summer. So i needed a break. I'm much more motivated now.

I wish I really had the knowledge to build my own bumper, I could try but it'd just be... more time than it's worth. Does he have pictures of it on a rig(the bumper).

Get those sliders on!! I love the look o my truck, it looks lifted as is. Haha. But yeah, honestly 1.5 is perfect for me and my needs. Any idea on the bilsteins I'd need? The website makes me go. Ahhhh.

Diff drop, Hmm. A spacer? Premade? Price? Just curious.

Also, my bro-in-law was a mechanic, and runs a scrap yard up here(hoping to score Toyota parts once he gets another one in), and his neighbor is a good friend of mine, and is also a mechanic who had tinkered with his wife's 86(I Think) 4runner.

I do really appreciate the help.

Did you find the manual useful? My lovely mother got me it for Christmas.
I totally understand the internet friends thing. It's a running joke between myself, Irab88 and RBX about being eachother being friends from the internet haha.

Yeah I graduated in 09' so i understand completely.

Honestly, as long as you know how to use a program such as AutoCAD you could easily build your own bumper, it's not that hard. Here's a pic of RBX's.

I've really been putting off putting on the sliders (wow that's a tongue-twister) lol But yeah i just need to paint them and throw em on!

This should help with the diff drop info.
http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/DiffDrop.shtml

Glad you have friends that can hook you up! It definitely makes things a lot easier!

No problem, i'm here to help.

About the manual, which one are we talking about here? Factory service manual? Haynes? I have about 3 or 4 different manuals and the factory service manual is the best one.

Quick Reply: Dee 1994 Pickup Build-Up Thread