86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Dee 1994 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you don't want to drill out the broken bolt, then take some penetrating oil and put some on top of broken bolt a few times over a day or 2 then remove air box to get at the remnants of that bolt underneath, undo 4 clips and swing the lid away towards cab or take it completely off but you will have to unplug harness from MAFM only way you remove is a almost rectangle clip holding it on there are then 3 bolts holding bottom box to dog house and use some vise grips and clamp down hard on the bolt and give it a small turn and watch to see if it moved, if it did then turn again in opposite direction and when it's loose keep turning the way out the bottom towards the ground that way it has the least amount of threads. Easy peasy :} I had to do it to my coolant tank and the windshield washer tank too :{

Good luck on him getting a toy in salvage yard, I talked to guy at my favorite yard in Indy and he hasn't got a toy in in over a year and a 1/2 because of all them going down south now to Mexico, they want the engines and entire drive-trains he says and doesn't expect any more any time soon, ones he has now are getting crushed in March!!!! So sad too :{ even stripped they beautiful :}LOL

Everybody is here to help, just ask on PM's :}
Old 12-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Dee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will probably drill it out. Sounds easier. Haha.

Well, my bro-in-law said he got three pickups, and about the same number of 4runners. So I should do alright. =] I just have a hard time scrambling to replace parts and paying When if I wait it out I'll get them for free or nothing.

I Have found This community to be very friendly and helpful. It's nice. I just don't know where to start asking questions. Haha.

I'm not sure if I've posted a picture of the watermelon slice I painted on my tailgate or not. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. Haha
Old 12-29-2011, 05:30 PM

Drilling it out does work 1/2 the time the other times it tears up the captive nuts threads and I did both tanks broken bolts and they came out real easy from underneath, if you can't get broken bolts from the other side it's a 50/50 shot the threads would be undamaged if you try to drill them out.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dee
I will probably drill it out. Sounds easier. Haha.

Well, my bro-in-law said he got three pickups, and about the same number of 4runners. So I should do alright. =] I just have a hard time scrambling to replace parts and paying When if I wait it out I'll get them for free or nothing.

I Have found This community to be very friendly and helpful. It's nice. I just don't know where to start asking questions. Haha.

I'm not sure if I've posted a picture of the watermelon slice I painted on my tailgate or not. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow. Haha

Dee, start slow and do what you want, and of course have fun that's what this is about Happy New Year
Old 12-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Dee

I'll explore both options to get the bolt out. =]

Thanks RMP. I'm trying to move slow and learn as I go. I never changed a tire before I got my truck. Haha. So all things considered I've already learned so much. It's exciting, and fun. I'm a student at heart and a thirst for knowledge, so building my truck up is an adventure in its self.

Happy New Year yourself. I'm hoping to find some trouble to get in. Haha.

Problem- surging idle. I drove to town today, 40 min drive, drove around and ran errands, got home, rove around a bit. All in all three or four hours of driving and errands and such. Then I noticed my idle surge. Bounced around in 500-1000. Then just a bit ago, went to a friends house, stayed for an hour or two and went to start the truck. Wouldn't start. Pumped the gas, and it started. My buddy reved the engine, noticed a whine. And after he did that my rmps sat at like 1200, Then dropped to just below 1000 after a minute of talking with my friend. Hmm. He gave a few suggestions, curious what you guys think.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:11 PM

Didn't you have a problem with TB a while ago? and you adjusted it with that dime size screw on top and it made it better, call your brother in-law and see if he has a 22R-E motor out of a wreaked truck or older 4-Runner with a TB still attached to intake runner and swap them and see what happens, I did that and the other used one was in better shape and took care of problem of my surging, now idles at 750 RPM's, got lucky, so try that or a new one and see what happens :} GL
Old 12-29-2011, 07:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Could be a dirty AFM throwing off the mixture of air/fuel.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Dee

Here's a picture of the watermelon slice I painted on the back. It has seeds painted on it now, this picture shows it without..

Also, there is still that bumper sticker on the back.. It says, My child is doing great at Whatever elementary". It's from the previous owner and I just haven't done anything to it... Haha.

Skid plate before it went back on.

Just throwing some pictures up so it's not all text. =P

Also, thanks you guys. I just was curious if there were any other things that could cause that problem, and since I noticed the problem and actually paid attention to it.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:12 PM

Your tail and skid plate looks good enough to eat, I like watermelon :}LOL MMMMM
Old 12-30-2011, 09:10 PM
Dee

Thanks John. When I bought my truck I wanted it to ne mine, and where everyone would know it's mine. And you can see my skid plate driving Dow the road. Haha. It's pretty awesome. Happy new years everyone. I have a feeling tomorrow will be a fun day. Haha.

My brother in law killed my truck today. Haha. He put his hand over the exhaust and it died. So then I got a bunch of teasing, "how do you kill a watermelon?" I think he's just jealous. ;D
Old 12-30-2011, 09:27 PM

just went over your whole build up nice truck... itll look really nice when u get the other tires on. good score on the shell kinda wish i could have a shell sometimes or even a bed lol 4 pages im jealous....... i think im the only one who likes my truck.

Last edited by creswellhick; 12-30-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Dee

Thanks for checking out my build! Yeah, I love how my other tires look. I've been advised against running my other tires in winter though, because of the aluminum rims, and salt, and that they probably won't handle as well as my current tires. Not really sure what to think. So hmm..

yeah, I got lucky on the shell. The color is off, and it's clearcoat is peeling. But I mean I can always just repaint it and I should get a lot of use out of it. I am not terribly fond of how trucks look with toppers, but the use outway the looks.

I actually love your truck, just went over and subscribed to your build. I'm really fond of flatbeds on Toys for some reason. There's this guy who has one and he works at a gas station up here, and of course I drooled over the truck one day, and noticed him at the cashier, and then noticed it a second time, and he was there. So I asked if it was his, it's a 94, extended cab, black, and I was like geeking out with this guy about his truck and my truck. My cousin was just like... Dee, you aren't right. Haha.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:30 PM

I'm running my Outlaw IIs through the winter. As long as you keep 'em clean, you should be fine.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by creswellhick
4 pages im jealous....... i think im the only one who likes my truck.
I'll like your truck if you like mine
Old 01-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Dee

My sister made some labels for my truck that say, the watermelon, on them. I think they are pretty awesome. I have a feeling I'll tape one uP in my back window or something. Pictures tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Dee

My friend is going to sandblast my brushguard for me, and enjoy this picture.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Dee

Update!! Yay. So today me and my brother-in-law tinkered with The Watermelon. Pushed the bumper back out, needs a bit more hammering to be a looker, but looks awesome right now! Then moved my fender so my light sits right, need to buy replacement bulbs. Took a hammer to the fender to fit my awesome tires. So I'll be running those finally, No more rubbing!! As well as tightened belts, and a few other things in that general area. AND, didn't drill the old bolt, but used a self drilling bolt(I believe), and although the tubing has slack, it should be satisfactory. However, when jacking my truck up, the jack slipped, and hit my skid plate. It's really a bit bent out of shape. Bent it back into place, but it's paint job is a bit messed up, and the skid plate is kind of... cheap. haha. Oh well. lots done today! Pictures tomorrow. =] I'm a happy girl today!
Old 01-06-2012, 04:23 PM

Very nice truck! My best friend is a girl and she has the exact same truck as you, and the same brush guard! And also a tip if you want to build a bumper like you said in earlier posts but don't want it to be more trouble than its worth, You can always make one out of card board! So you can see exactly what it looks like in person, size and everything, tape it onto the truck, and if you commit to it, just buy the steel, keep the cardboard and trace it out onto the steel, then cut the steel out. Weld it all together, make mounts and there you go, your very own custom bumper. One of a kind! If you don't like it, it's only cardboard that you messed up and could be a good learning experience I like your truck, keep up the great work!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:16 PM

Oh yea Dee, you can blame the new owner of the NFL team the jags, his name is Khan, like from Star Trek Wrath of Khan :}LOL His company is the sole supplier to Toyota for rear bumpers since 1987 and still is, so if you have any complaints about your ugly rusted see-through rear bumper send them to Khan in Jacksonville FL at the jags stadium :}LOL

Read it on Wikipedia...

My bumper like yours folded in half right at the hitch balls hole when I took it off, it is totally gone :}LOL

Have a great weekend, How was it up there way up North today? We got to 60 out in the sun today in North Western Indiana, Was awesome, got some touch up painting done where the guys scratched it up from the toolbox :{ Got all the maintenanced up to date and ready for some SNOW dang it :}LOL
Old 01-07-2012, 06:57 AM
Dee

Thanks for checking out my build, I'm glad to hear another girl is rolling in style like me. Haha.

I should do that with cardboard, although I myself have never welded I have access to four pretty good people who can weld. Yeah! We will see What I decide. I'm kinda just killing time till I get a good job where I can actually put money into the truck.

Bah, I hate my back bumper. =[ I have to run in Michigan with a bumper, or at least that's what I've read. At least it's only one small problem. But the one I want fixed the most!

The weather was beautiful yesterday!! Mid to high 30s, sun was shining. I built a snowman with my sister's kids. =P Honestly this winter has been so unusual. Didn't get any real snow till about a week ago, should have gotten that snow in. Beginning of December, not January! Then this heat wave... yes I just called 30s a heat wave. So a bit of out snow melted yesterday, but we have barely started winter. So more to come. Yay. Although I'm sad you messed With the character your truck had. Haha, I'm glad you were able to. Plus your truck sounds like it's coming along. I'm glad.

My truck looks like ten times more aggressive With my other tires. But I still have my topper on...

Quick Reply: Dee 1994 Pickup Build-Up Thread