86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

coryc85's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Just used your write up on testing the IACV. Mine is working great. I could of looked it up,but like pictures instead. Thanks!!
Old 02-22-2013, 08:17 AM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Terry - awesome, glad the pics helped you...your threads have helped me out so much that I'm delighted to have helped you even a tiny bit.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:30 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
CoryC in the place to beeeeeeee! Lol. ...

How's things, sir?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:55 AM

Chef - I'm hangin in there. As usual for me, much more browsing Yotatech than actually doing anything to my 4Runner. I've been working on the house, paint, minor repairs, etc. But I'm gearing up to swap in that new kick panel fuse box that Terry sent me and fix my rear driveshaft where I blew that ujoint. Got all the parts, I just need the time. Hope things are settling down for you, seems like you are still contemplating SAS on your truck...I doubt that will ever be in my future, but you never know I guess.

Last edited by coryc85; 02-22-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:05 AM

Cool, stay busy! Lol. ...

Yeah, I've contemplated it many times..... Problem is the cost of gas that would ensue should I go there, as I would wanna roll it out there every weekend... and the initial cost too. I always handled the washboard roads for miles better than my SFA buds.... but they could get past where I could once there, haha. Think I'd rather just hi-steer an 85, but that would be another restore and I'd wanna keep it.... and I really dont want to sell my 87, so then I have 2 o.O haha.... and I REALLY want a Car with 35mpg... not another 4wd, hahaha. Its a tough one, and more things point to Sas than having 2 rigs.... but, I have llenty of fun with this for now, ya know?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:56 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
When buying a house and moving into it, no matter how prepared you think you are, your life will be upside down for awhile. I have done it twice and realistically I think it took a good year each time.

The only way mine will get the solid axle is if a come across a 84 or 85 frame. I looked into the cost of doing a SAS and it isnt cheap. A guy I went to school with was trying to get a rolled 85 and I was going to paint his truck for him for it but I havent seen it at his house, but this does remind me I need to swing over that way and see if he has it tucked away some where. The IFS will do what is needed and what I see with the springs always sagging, may not be much benefit to a solid axle.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:46 AM

Been driving the 4Runner on short trips to Home Depot in 4x4 mode since the rear shaft is out right now. I was waiting on my dad to bring me the d-shaft flange that he had so I could replace the one that my u-joint beat up. Anyway, he brought it to me last week, so I thought I would get the shaft back on. I started by draining the diff fluid, only because I wanted to see if there were any shavings in there or anything. Turns out I chipped at least 1 tooth on the ring gear
Name:  IMAG0130_zps7fd9de80.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  43.7 KB

The oil had more shavings in there than I would have like to see as well. I think I'm going to pull the diff to either replace it entirely if I can find a complete one, or just new ring and pinion if I can't find a good complete diff.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh ow yeah if youve got shavings an a tooth somethin's going on
ive seen a few entire 3'rds on the classifieds and a few on fleabay (way too expensive IMO)
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 AM

Cyber - yeah looks like I missed a couple of good deals on some 4.88 complete diffs in the classifieds here on the board. I found a pretty smokin deal on a 4.88 ring and pinion, but I'll have to set it up. Looks like that might be the route I'm gonna have to go. I've read Zuk's site thousands of times, I have the press and tools, so I think I can do it. Also thinking of changing the rear axle bearings since I have to pull the shafts to get the diff out. Man, when it rains it pours.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey man you've got a sweet Runner! I bought an 89 last may and had the engine rebuilt cause I didn't have the time. Picked up the engine and got a box of brackets and a bag of bolts back as well. So I've been trying to figure out where the brackets went as well as which bolts were used. I noticed in your thread that Roger Brown helped you out. What is his website or maybe a good way to get some decent instructions on mounting the brackets in the right places? Any help would be awesome!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
sorry to hear about the problems, thats the way it goes sometimes.
sweet build thread, subscribed
Old 03-11-2013, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
Cyber - yeah looks like I missed a couple of good deals on some 4.88 complete diffs in the classifieds here on the board. I found a pretty smokin deal on a 4.88 ring and pinion, but I'll have to set it up. Looks like that might be the route I'm gonna have to go. I've read Zuk's site thousands of times, I have the press and tools, so I think I can do it. Also thinking of changing the rear axle bearings since I have to pull the shafts to get the diff out. Man, when it rains it pours.
its that thing of well SINCE im in there might as well replace that too.. setting up a ring n pinion isnt horrible if you have the tools my one issue was always the crush sleeve on the input shaft never seemed to get it right
Old 03-11-2013, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Last_Frontier
Hey man you've got a sweet Runner! I bought an 89 last may and had the engine rebuilt cause I didn't have the time. Picked up the engine and got a box of brackets and a bag of bolts back as well. So I've been trying to figure out where the brackets went as well as which bolts were used. I noticed in your thread that Roger Brown helped you out. What is his website or maybe a good way to get some decent instructions on mounting the brackets in the right places? Any help would be awesome!
Roger Brown, aka 4Crawler has tons of info on his site. The power steering bracket was the odd one for me. Look here http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ingChain.shtml

Also, just poke around on 4Crawler.com, there is so much good info there.

Originally Posted by liveoffroad
sorry to hear about the problems, thats the way it goes sometimes.
sweet build thread, subscribed
Thanks liveoffroad, I've looked at your thread many times. Yeah, setbacks seem to be a way of life for my projects. Oh well, now I get to set up some gears.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. I'll try and post some pics of my rig tonight; and maybe start a write up of my thread sometime this week. I'm sure I'll be back for more advice later.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:32 PM

Gorgeous 4Runner! Keep the good work!
Old 03-18-2013, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by 88ECToy
Gorgeous 4Runner! Keep the good work!
Thanks man, not sure I would call it gorgeous, but I appreciate it anyway.

Made a small bit of progress on the fuse block. Got nearly all of the little terminals out of the replacement panel that Terry sent me. I made a diagram of the wire colors so I can refer to it when putting my truck's wires back in. It takes a flashlight and a couple of tiny jewelers screwdrivers to get the terminals out. All of the fuse terminals are held in the same, but for some reason each of the relay terminals seem to be different. I have to bring my dental pick from work so I can get the last couple, the screwdrivers just would not get down in there.
Name:  IMAG0138_zpse513a32c.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  48.1 KB

Here is my diagram for the wire colors and where they go...
Name:  Kick_panel_fuse_block_rear_view_zpse8dab73c.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  93.2 KB

Also have a few things going on the differential. My ring and pinion arrived today, I need to order a solid collar and a couple little items and get my bench set up to hold the 3rd member. Pics will be coming.

Last edited by coryc85; 03-19-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:59 PM

Excited to see the goodies coming together! Post lots of pics of the gear install, ....... please? HAHA
Old 03-18-2013, 06:04 PM

Chef - thanks for checking in. I will take a lot of pics along the way. I figure I can give it a shot, I've read gearinstalls.com enough that I think it's finally sinking in.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:12 PM

main panel looking quite wireless lol you gona add a few if space is available for future expansion while in there?

you doing a 3rd too? wow
Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cyberhorn The Dragon
main panel looking quite wireless lol you gona add a few if space is available for future expansion while in there?

you doing a 3rd too? wow
Cyber - you brought up a very good point, would be nice to add some circuits, but there were no open slots, one of these days I'm going to buy one of those blue sea marine fuse panels for some extra circuits.

I'm going to give this gear setup my best effort, I figure if I struggle too much and can't get it right, I'll just send it off to Zuk for a proper setup.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: coryc85's 1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread