86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

92ehatch's 87 4runner build up

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh and my temp gauge started jumping to center...again. worked for one day
Old 08-19-2017, 02:37 PM

so i spent most of today toying with the truck. I started it up in the garage, temp around 70° and it starts right up. Moved it out to the driveway to sit in the sun and let it sit for a few hours. When i came back to start it up it would barely start, stumbles and misses hard when getting on throttle.

It does this EVERY time it is parked in the sun. If i start it in the garage it starts perfect. If i have been driving it, stop, and restart it warm it will run perfectly. It only does this after the engine is cold AND it has sat in the sun.

I rechecked the tps, vafm, ect, csi, csi timer. I used my new fluke 87v to check. Everything is still within spec. I then checked them all again at the ECU itself, and they still check good. So that verifies that the sensors and their wiring are all good.

I pulled the spark plugs out and all 4 were black with carbon and wet, note on the previous page my spark plugs look ok to me. the piston tops were also pretty wet.

I pulled the CSI out and jumped the fuel pump and do NOT have a leak at the CSI.

ignition timing is correct

I took a video and have it "Processing" on youtube to show the hard start and stumble will link when it finishes.

Things that i have on the potential list of issues:

Cam timing is ~2° retarded since the head and block have been milled .010 for a total of .020 i dont see this causing it, but the information is there

I installed some bosch 4 hole injectors and the resistor box jumper at time of rebuild and who knows what i ended up with from that ebay transaction (leaky injectors?)

Fuel pressure regulator , ill have to get a gauge and check. i just have a hard time seeing how ambient temperature would effect this. (the FPU valve works, i have tested it with and without this in the loop)

if anyone has any suggestions or things i may have missed let me know.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Dang, sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Would it be worth pulling one of the plugs and turning the key to on to prime the fuel pump and see if fuel is leaking into the chamber?
This might give you some insight into whether or not those aftermarket injectors or the fuel pressure regulator are your problem.

Could it be coincidence that the issue only presents itself while in the sun? Maybe do the cold garage start then the sunny driveway start and note the time that elapses between.
Then try to replicate the scenario- in the garage, down the street, under a tree, etc. Maybe try different variations of time between the starts to see if you can isolate a time range that the issue is happening.

I'm also thinking about all the issues I've been having with my IACV which has a bimetal strip in it which is temperature sensitive. I know this wouldn't affect the fuel but maybe there's another system somewhere that uses the same type of circuit? I don't know of one, but there's a lot I don't know.

Maybe you've already thought of all this, just throwing some ideas out.
Good luck!!
Old 08-19-2017, 03:20 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
ehatch, since you've pinpointed it to a problem after sitting in sun, i would guess it's related to the fuel in your tank expanding. Check your gas cap, also check your charcoal canister. There must be some checks in FSM.
Old 08-19-2017, 03:22 PM

Also, if you haven't seen this one, check it out: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ge-fix-271152/
Old 08-19-2017, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by ladybugRC
Dang, sorry to hear you're having trouble.

Would it be worth pulling one of the plugs and turning the key to on to prime the fuel pump and see if fuel is leaking into the chamber?
This might give you some insight into whether or not those aftermarket injectors or the fuel pressure regulator are your problem.

Could it be coincidence that the issue only presents itself while in the sun? Maybe do the cold garage start then the sunny driveway start and note the time that elapses between.
Then try to replicate the scenario- in the garage, down the street, under a tree, etc. Maybe try different variations of time between the starts to see if you can isolate a time range that the issue is happening.

I'm also thinking about all the issues I've been having with my IACV which has a bimetal strip in it which is temperature sensitive. I know this wouldn't affect the fuel but maybe there's another system somewhere that uses the same type of circuit? I don't know of one, but there's a lot I don't know.

Maybe you've already thought of all this, just throwing some ideas out.
Good luck!!
i tried jumping the fuel pump and stuffed a paper towel into the cylinders and got nothing. I think the flooding is happening at startup rather than leaking over time. My iacv was bench tested in the refrigerator and tested ok. I took it to the store and the sun had mostly been blocked by trees and it started right up ran great the whole time.

Originally Posted by coryc85
ehatch, since you've pinpointed it to a problem after sitting in sun, i would guess it's related to the fuel in your tank expanding. Check your gas cap, also check your charcoal canister. There must be some checks in FSM.
I could eliminate the canister by removing it i suppose. The gas cap is the factory original.

Originally Posted by ladybugRC
Also, if you haven't seen this one, check it out: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...ge-fix-271152/
I've checked and found it ok. If i remove it and put it back it works for about a day then quits so it's probably vibration related.

The video below

Last edited by 92ehatch; 08-19-2017 at 04:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:06 AM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Sorry... duplicate post. Blame on smartphone. lol!

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 08-20-2017 at 04:15 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
I rechecked the ... csi timer.
... Fuel pressure regulator....
On my phone so couldn't search the thread to see IF you cleaned the mounting thread for CSI timer switch down to bare, shiny metal. That's how the switch gets its ground. That fixed my hard cold crank issue.
Wallytoo, others and I installed liquid-damped fuel pressure gage from Northern Tools (or something like that) piggybacked on CSI using banjo-bolt adapter from LCE.
Good luck!
Old 08-20-2017, 05:26 AM

The lower intake was cleaned at the machine shop with the block, they extracted a couple of bolts so i did not clean any threads there, didn't think to.

the csi timer is new oem from 22re perf.

i was going to go the way you guys did with the fuel gauge, will have to order it.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
The lower intake was cleaned at the machine shop with the block...
This thread clean?

(Picture is before I cleaned it to bare, shiny metal with battery terminal brush.)

How CSI timer is grounded...
Old 08-20-2017, 09:20 AM

I haven't checked yet. I know what you are speaking of as i read alot of your posts tips etc.

i did push the truck into the sun this morning and let it bake a couple of hours. I started it with my csi disconnected and recorded the voltages on the fluke. Result was 10.7 volts to the csi [unloaded circuit) on a new battery. Loaded would probably lose its voltage all together or close to it (i do understand electrical well). The truck did start on two cranks. That being said poor grounding (your suggestion) is the first place to check so I'll get on that asap.

edit: after looking at the diagram again, I'm not sure it would get 12v at the csi with that heater circuit in line as it would impede some. Do you know the normal voltage for the csi operation?

Last edited by 92ehatch; 08-20-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:13 AM

I checked. Ground is good and clean. Ohms read .1 from sensor body to block which is also what my meter reads with terminals shorted.

i rechecked voltage to csi from ignition relay to csi and battery ground and still only get 10.7 volts. Battery voltage is 12.72. So I'm getting a pretty significant drop of voltage to the start injector
Old 08-20-2017, 12:29 PM

Video of it starting and revving with the csi unplugged. It runs proper. If i plug the csi in and try to start it again it goes back to the old no start flooded condition. I've tried it multiple times throughout today and can replicate it every time.

Old 08-24-2017, 01:17 PM

Current state, been driving it to the store almost daily.
Local Ingles gas station started carrying non ethanol fuel, it idles so much smoother i was amazed.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:46 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
so.....cheap.... i pay 3.30 for 90 octane.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
so.....cheap.... i pay 3.30 for 90 octane.
the regular is only 2.70 or so and we are more expensive than south carolina. I use Ingles because i get discount on gas with groceries. Family of 5 i usually get a 25 cent per gallon discount once a month. Helps with that 14mpg tundra
Old 08-24-2017, 11:11 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
:thumbsup:
Old 09-22-2017, 09:05 AM

No time, more problems

Well i have had no time to work lately. I got a promotion at work, a nearly 12k a year raise (Yay) but man has it killed me. My hours have been 60 plus at work, hell i worked 20 straight days, switching back and forth between 1st and 2nd shift and hit 81 hours on my last pay check. I'm exhausted. And have no drive to work.

went out to clean the garage and tinker before work yesterday and noticed coolant on the floor. My damn water pump gasket is leaking, the oil pump gasket is leaking, my rear main leaks, and i still have that starting issue that is related to the csi.

i have a feeling my eBay timing cover is still haunting me, i had to helicoil the water pump bolts (all of them) and wouldn't put it passed them being cracked or the timing cover being warped at this point. To replace this would require taking the engine back out, taking it and a new cover to the machine shop and having the cover matched to the block. I should have waited for the better cover to come back in stock rather than turn to ebay. The rear main is new as well but i bet it's resting in the same groove the old one made.

Either that or these dnj gaskets are garbage.

on top of all of this the wife has been sick and the medical bills are piling up. /rant
Old 09-22-2017, 09:14 AM

Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts
Too bad about the medical situation, that stuff is stressful!

It will pass and you will soon have more time to work
Old 09-27-2017, 04:10 AM

Hang in there, man. When I was first starting on my 4Runner my wife was pregnant and started having seizures. She's since been diagnosed with epilepsy/seizure disorder. For a year she couldn't drive. I was working a lot, too. Add in the needs of the kids and life and it is really hard to justify spending time on an old truck.
Remember that you have the most important things in your family and having people that care for you.

Stay positive, the issues with the truck will be resolved!

I'll keep you in my thoughts.

Quick Reply: 92ehatch's 87 4runner build up