86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1986 4runner build up sas/chevy spring swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all my goodies came in so yesterday I spent all of 8 hours putting in the rear third member. It was only me doing it which is why it took the better part of the day.

old is out

new third is in

the passenger side seal

here is my new hi-jack lift neoprene cover and mounts for the bumper thatcame in from low range offroad.

supplies from napa to do the third member and teach myself how to bleed brakes

testing out the bleeder....only had to do the line i replaced the other day. will be rebleeding all the brakes today and hopefully i can do it right

picture of the brake line that caused me to lose my front brakes on te way home last week. steering shaft wore a hole straight through the line

****FOR SALE*****
stock 92-95 rear third v6 4.88- very rare to find. would prefer not to ship, local sale or pickup only
Old 04-15-2012, 02:49 PM

That's great! How does it drive now?
Should have let me know, i didn't do anything yesterday! Lol
Old 04-16-2012, 06:37 AM

It drives awesome now, there wasn't much difference between the 4.88 other than it can go faster now. Shifting time in gears is increased a little. the third member was really tight when I first got it so it is heating up a little bit if I drive it around. The third member is from davez offroad performance and they did an awesome job. There is a 500 mile break-in period and all i wanna do is drive it. It is a lot smoother sounding too. Posting up some more pics of e-brake extension brackets from 4crawler and installing the jack on the bumper.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:40 AM

Also, I tried slipping the neoprene hi-jack cover over the jack and the first time....RRRIIIPPPPPPPP in 2 different spots. completely useless so low range will be getting a phone call today at some point
Old 04-21-2012, 11:03 PM

Ouch! Keep it the great truck. Your engine come in yet?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 PM

Engine finally came in today! I am out of town so dad had to pick it up from the freight company, as of now this is the only pic I have but will take more on friday
Old 04-30-2012, 07:37 PM

cool new motor?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:06 PM

Got home Friday and was finally able to unwrap my new Stage 2 engine from Putney's....so shiny and awesome

Am going to wait a little bit to do the swap when I am not crunched for time, probably in july sometime. Am going to replace the tranny too while I'm in there, there has been a grinding noise lately. Have been told it could be something near the clutch or I threw out a bearing inside the tranny.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:28 AM

Haven't been on here in a while, but gonna post some pics anyway. They aren't "build" related so for those that like to criticize, I dont really care.

Long story short, I found 3 exhaust leaks on my LCEngineering setup. I could actually pull the muffler off the pipe it was connected to it was so loose
So I proceeded to try and tighten a few more of the bolts up where it was leaking and I ended up breaking 3 bolts right off from the torque. I had enough with trying to tighten that sh** down so I took it over to al's exhaust and $15 later they had me a fully welded exhaust.

Saw this sweet yota on base at the commissary and got pretty excited not being the only 1st gen on base.

I'm still living out of a marriott so my base has this sweet auto hobby shop I could change my diff oil after the break in and one last oil change before swapping in the new engine. It's got a bunch of goodies like tire machine, bearing press, sandblaster, etc. I think it was $4/hr to use the car bay which was sweet

Also, got a nasty vibrating grinding noise sounding like metal on metal when decelerating and when holding in the clutch and also when shifting into 5th. Some people have said it could be the driveshaft shaking the gears in the tcase. Another shop said a bearing in my tranny could've gone out. Still runs and shifts fine though. Anybody with any experience on this?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
$15 to weld an exhaust is a steal!

regarding the grinding - is it something you can FEEL in your left foot with the clutch in or just the noise? I had a grinding/vibration in my clutch pedal when depressed (even when not depressed all the way) - it was the bearings in my transmission/throwout bearing going. I since replaced the transmission and all is good now.

What you may want to check is your U joints on the drive shaft. mine was totally shot too - and it eliminated the metallic chirping noise I got at starts from a stopped position.

that's all I got - truck is looking good!
Old 05-28-2012, 10:29 PM

Great build man keep up the good work!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:39 AM

Thanks for the comments, it's a work in progress. The grinding noise usually comes when the clutch is depressed and sometimes when shifting into 5th gear. That bearing definitely sounds like it could be that. When I pull the engine out, I am going to replace it. Already have it shipped in from Marlin Crawler. Hopefully that will solve it, was praying I wouldn't have to replace the drivetrain quite yet.

I inspected the driveshaft and so far everything seems to look good, but will continue to keep an eye on it.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:17 AM

Here are some more recent pictures and a link to a video of how my truck is running and how it sounds now before I put the new engine in it. I'm sure it just needs the valeves or rockers adjusted.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bFsMtRG3uY

A lot of these pictures I am putting up are strictly for the sole purpose to allow myself to compare between the two engines to realize what all needs to be switched over, etc. as well as some new parts that just showed up. Take it as it is and hopefully the pictures may help some of you who plan to swap in a Putney's engine. This is the first for me so wanna make sure I have everything done right

My new gasket kit that showed up from LowRange...really not sure where a lot of these go which is stressing me out

New clutch release bearing and hub from Marlin

Old 05-31-2012, 11:52 AM

That new motor looks NICE!!

Something to think about when you take your transmission out....while you're replacing the clutch and throwout bearing and that's GOOD, it could be something inside the transmission. With the transmission removed, gently turn the input shaft and listen closely....If it's smooth and you don't hear anything, the inside bearings are likely OK. If you hear a dragging or grinding (you'll feel it in your hand that is turning the shaft), chances are bearings inside the transmission are toast (this is what my old one sounds like when I turn it, and it was BAD.

Good luck!
Old 05-31-2012, 01:01 PM

Thanks! Jim's shop at 22reperformance did an amazing job. I will definitely do just what you said with the transmission once it's in sight. I'm hoping it is just the bearing, but will keep my progress posted! Thanks again for the help
Old 05-31-2012, 01:29 PM

Hey Pit - how did you go about setting up your 63" Chevies on the frame before welding them on? I am referring to the hangers. Did you create some kind of straight edge tool with holes spaced correctly to line everything up before you tacked them on? Also, what kind of prep did you do to your donor springs? Wire wheel and paint? Any kind of padding in between? New bushings, etc?
Old 05-31-2012, 09:11 PM

So when will the engine swap happen? I want to see that shiny new motor under the hood!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:15 AM

Philbert- A shop did my entire lift, including the 63" chevies, strictly because I have no welding experience, but I do know how they did it. There are certain measurements from hole to hole for the front hanger and same for the rear. I believe the front might be 11" and the rear around 4.5", but search some posts just to make sure. Use a straight edge tool to make sure the hangers are lined up straight on the frame. They attached some straight lines to hang the axle so they know it wouldn't move from the stock location. Once they tacked the hangers and mounts on, they let the rear weight of the truck down and tested the shackle angle for the rear. The first set of chevies that I originally planned on using were practically new so they were freshly painted and black. If they were rusty, I would take a wire wheel to them and repaint them. ( I still have my stock chevies if you need some). The stock ones didn't provide enough lift to match the front so I had to use 6" lifted 63" chevies from Superlift. From what I remember, they had to order different bushings for the springs, but unfortunately, not too sure what they were. Hope this helps!

New engine will be in when I can find some time off work hopefully in june or july
Old 07-12-2012, 07:04 AM

Just an update...haven't done too much with the truck lately other than camping but the engine swap will be taking place week after next....so stoked! Plan on doing a pretty detailed write up while I'm doing it with lots of pics.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:13 AM

Camping in middle of July...actually wasn't too bad until the sun came up. Softopper was definitely very easy to use and was nice to have the screen window for the back.

Quick Reply: 1986 4runner build up sas/chevy spring swap